How To Change The Fuel Filter On A 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
by John Heimel (aka Johnsdiesel)
Once you have done this once it won’t take more than 5 minutes to do. Here’s what you do:
1. Open lid/remove plastic cover over fuel bowl (depending on year).
2. Open drain valve (to the left side at the bottom of the bowl) by pushing it to the left (back of the truck). You may want to attach a piece of 5/16" hose to the bottom of the drain so you can avoid a mess.
3. Unscrew the fuel bowl lid. You may need to use tools to loosen the lid, but I can usually get mine by hand. If I need to I can hook up my 1/2" socket wrench to the lid.
4. Remove the old fuel filter and o-ring (from the lid).
5. Close the drain valve on the fuel bowl.
6. This is optional. Fill the fuel bowl about 1/2 way with Standyne Lubricity Formula or a similar product.
7. Install the new o-ring on the lid making sure to follow the instructions for the beveled edge. Lightly coat the new o-ring with fresh diesel fuel.
8. Attach the new fuel filter to the lid.
9. Install the new filter/lid and make sure it is on straight and tight.
10. Turn the key and wait for at least 10 seconds, especially if you didn’t add any additive to the fuel bowl. This will allow the fuel bowl to fill before you start the engine.
You can use filters that come attached to the lid, but don’t throw your lid away. You may need it if you go back to the other style filter.