FE/FT motors were installed in North American Ford vehicles produced in the 1958 through 1976 model years. These were medium displacement engines, which replaced the previously-used Lincoln Y-block V-8.
As the smallest “big block” of the time, the FE/FT 332 cubic-inch motor’s actual displacement was 331.8 cubic inches (5.4 L), with a 4.0 inches (101.60 mm) bore and 3.3 inches (83.82 mm) stroke.
The FE, which stands for “Ford-Edsel,” was used in Ford and Edsel cars. The FT, which stands for “Ford Truck,” was used as the standard motor in many F-series trucks and school buses. The main difference between the two engines was that the FT had different a distributor, a steel crankshaft (the FE had a nodular iron crankshaft), and a larger crank snout.
The FE/FT came in two power configurations: a Holley or Autolite four-barrel carburetor version, which put out 265 horsepower (197.6 kW) and 360 lb. ft. of torque at 2800 rpm; and a two-barrel carburetor version which produced 225 horsepower (167.8 kW) and 325 lb. ft. of torque at 2200 rpm.
The four-barrel motor was used in 1958 Ford cars and Edsel (Pacer, Ranger, Villager, Roundup and Bermuda export vehicles only). The two-barrel engine was installed in 1959 Ford cars and 1959 Edsels (Corsair and Villager models).