F-SERIES MILESTONES AT A GLANCE
- F-Series “Bonus Built” trucks are introduced Jan. 16 (F-1 through F-8), the first of Ford Motor Company’s all-new postwar line of vehicles.
- F-100 pickup is introduced, replacing F-1.
- Ford’s 4x4s are introduced, primarily for commercial use, but just in time for the growth in recreational off-road driving and personal use of pickup trucks in the 1960s.
- Twin I-Beam front suspension is introduced. Suspension allows F-Series to “drive like a car ““ work like a truck.”
- Nearly two-thirds of pickup owners use trucks for recreational and personal use. In response, Ford introduces its Camper Special package for F-100 and F-250, an industry first.
- Ford introduces F-Series SuperCab, signaling further growth in personal use of pickup trucks.
- F-150 pickup debuts.
- Ford sells 864,000 F-Series trucks, a record.
- Most extensive redesign of F-Series to date.
- Ford’s diesel pickups debut with 6.9-liter V-8.
- F-Series becomes first truck with rear-wheel, anti-lock brakes.
- Driver’s-side air bags introduced.
- F-Series surpasses Volkswagen Beetle as world’s best-selling vehicle nameplate.
- F-Series introduces the Eddie Bauer edition truck.
- Completely redesigned F-150 and F-250 models introduced.
- SuperCab features industry’s first standard third door in a full-size pickup.
- Ford and Harley-Davidson form an alliance and introduce the first Harley-Davidson edition of the F-150 as a 2000MY vehicle.
- The SVT F-150 Lightning is introduced and featured a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 with 360 horsepower.
- Ford launches a new F-Series Super Duty built on its own unique frame and ushers in the first true medium duty pickup truck.
- A second passenger row is added, giving F-150 SuperCrew trucks more passenger space then the previous SuperCab trucks.
- Ford debuts the new super-premium King Ranch edition truck.
- Ford unveils the second Harley-Davidsonâ„¢ edition based on an F-150 SuperCrew.
- Ford’s third Harley-Davidsonâ„¢ edition F-150 debuts.
- The 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel joins the Super Duty line-up
- All-new F-150 reflects shifts in market with more consumers using pickup as a daily vehicle.
- Ford debuts new super-premium King Ranch edition truck.
- Ford launches an all-new, redesigned and more capable Super Duty
- Ford’s fourth Harley-Davidson edition F-150 and the first Harley-Davidson edition built on the new 2004 F-150 platform.
- Ford introduces a supercharged F-150 Harley-Davidsonâ„¢ edition truck.
- All-new Super Duty is launched for the 2008 model year. For the first time the Super Duty includes the F-450 pickup and 6.4-liter PowerStroke® clean Turbo Diesel.
- The 2008 F-Series 60th Anniversary Editions are introduced