DAVID FABRICATORE AND MARC LUCAS: ENGINEERS NEGOTIATE PLANS FOR FUTURE FORD HYBRID AND PLUG-IN VEHICLES
- David Fabricatore and Marc Lucas are Ford Hybrid Electric Vehicle Engineers who interface with people from different areas within the company and negotiate solutions for future hybrid and plug-in vehicles
- Lucas originally is from Nuneaton, England, and Fabricatore grew up in Palisades, Park, New Jersey, but both gentlemen currently reside in Michigan
At the onset of Ford’s future hybrid and plug-in vehicle programs, targets are set for various attributes – such as fuel economy, ride and handling and climate control. Throughout the engineering process, specialized teams work diligently to meet those expectations. Inevitably, however, conflicts do arise. That’s where David Fabricatore and Marc Lucas come in.
Fabricatore and Lucas are Hybrid Electric Vehicle Engineers, but in many ways their work has transformed them into skilled negotiators.
“Everybody is looking after their own parts and their own requirements, so we have to balance the tradeoffs,” said Lucas.
The way one team chooses to meet its target may conflict with the goal of another team.
“One electrical air conditioning compressor may be an ideal choice for the climate control team, but it may create noise and vibration issues for the NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) team,” explained Fabricatore. “Our role is to keep the conversation moving until all team members come to the same solution.”
“We weigh out all of the positives and the negatives and work together to come up with alternatives that will best meet the needs of the customer,” adds Lucas.
According to Fabricatore and Lucas, sometimes the most innovative ideas are born out of diversity of thought.
“When you have different teams working together and you get all of that brainpower in the same room, you end up with some brilliant solutions,” he said.
While he can’t discuss specifics, Lucas says the group has come up with some great ideas for Ford’s first plug-in vehicle.
“People are going to be very impressed with what we come up with,” he said.
Personal Insights and Fun Facts
- When he’s not at work, Lucas spends much of his time with his wife and two children, ages 14 and 5. He says he often puts his negotiating skills to work at home, trying to find ways to entertain both children at the same time. "There’s a big age difference between them, so we usually have to come up with a compromise when we go out," he said. "If we go to the park, we might take the youngest around the farm and and let the older one explore the beach or nature center and then meet up together for a bike ride at the end. It keeps everyone happy."
- Originally from England, Lucas also enjoys traveling around the world. Some of his favorite places are the old city of Jerusalem, New Zealand, Egypt and Japan.
- Fabricatore, currently a resident of Canton, Mich., was born and raised in Palisades Park, New Jersey.
- When he’s not at work, Fabricatore enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, playing bass guitar on his church’s worship team and serving as the treasurer of his church.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 201,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.
Oct. 5, 2009