The design team for the 2011 F-Series Super Duty knows what customers demand of Ford’s hard-working pickup truck. The challenge is to deliver in new and exciting ways.
“Built Ford Tough is the most important and enduring attribute of the F-Series Super Duty truck,” said Ed Golden, chief designer. “For 2011, we’ve continued in that direction, evolving the Super Duty line with more boldness. Our customers demand a well-engineered truck, one that will perform the maximum duty they expect from it. Our design has to reflect that.”
Bigger and bolder defines the front end. With the addition of the all-new, more powerful 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V-8 turbocharged diesel as well as a new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine, the hood was redesigned with a prominent inverted power dome that gives an indication of the best-in-class torque and horsepower each engine will deliver.
“The Super Duty is all about power and capability, and we wanted to make that obvious,” said Brad Richards, exterior design manager.
The grille surrounds especially emphasize the bigger and bolder look, with “Super Duty” stamped onto the upper grille. Combinations of chrome, black and body color are available on the multi-piece grille, depending on the series.
“One of the unique visual aspects of the Super Duty is the inlets at the outboard edges of the grille,” said Golden. “The center grille bars wrap in aerodynamically at the ends. From one side you see the bars, and from the other you see the openings ““ almost like a jet engine’s air intake.”
Bigger, stronger than ever
The theme of interlocking parts is echoed throughout the exterior, emphasizing the 2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty’s enduring strength.
The iconic Ford oval is bigger ““ by approximately 50 percent, to about 13 inches across ““ and bolder as well to complement the new front end. “It’s the biggest Ford oval anywhere except at the top of World Headquarters,” Richards quipped. “The owners of these trucks are very proud of their vehicles and like what the Super Duty says about them and their lifestyle. It’s not a bashful vehicle by any means.”
The grille openings have been optimized for maximum cooling efficiency and minimum drag. A deeper air dam ““ extended to about six inches ““ has been added to the front to deflect air away from the underpinnings for better aerodynamics, which also adds to fuel efficiency. A shorter air dam is available for off-road customers. The headlamps are the largest ever for a Super Duty.
The larger wheel lips and new wheel and tire lineup help emphasize Super Duty’s bolder look and stronger appearance, especially on two-tone models. Wheels range from 17-inch steel up to 20-inch polished units, depending on series: XL, XLT, Lariat and King Ranch®.
Exterior trim highlights
- XL DÃ©cor package features chrome bumpers and chrome center caps on the wheels
- XLT adds a chrome grille, fog lamps and chrome surrounds on the side vent badging
- Lariat adds two-tone on wheel lip
- King Ranch adds unique painted grille surround, wheels, Pale Adobe box top moldings and running board, and King Ranch badging
Available Tough Bed
Ford also offers Tough Bed®, a unique, military-grade, factory-installed spray-in bedliner. The polyol-based elastomeric film and isocyanate hardener are applied to the pickup box by a precision high-pressure automated sprayer to ensure one thin, smooth, even coat ““ unlike the traditional hand-spray application of aftermarket bedliners.
The finer application ensures the bedliner materials won’t run or sag on the inside walls of the box, and also minimizes unnecessary weight. Its uniformly textured surface also helps minimize load slippage while delivering a premium appearance.
All-new flow-through console heads interior upgrades
Leading the list of increased interior functionality is the flow-through console. The design team took advantage of Super Duty’s steering wheel-mounted gearshift to create a console that flows from the instrument panel to the backseat, brimming with large, customizable and versatile storage space. The larger space also provides room for two HVAC ducts to the backseat.
Highlights of the new flow-through console include:
- The main storage bin, which is lockable, encompasses many attributes to help make the 2011 Ford Super Duty the perfect office on wheels. The base includes a rubber mat with a lip that aids storage of items such as laptops, notebooks or binders.
- Customers can use the hanging tray for change ““ slots for pennies through quarters are provided ““ or to store other items such as screwdrivers or other tools. At least $7.53 in change can be held in the slots ““ $4.25 in quarters, $2.30 in dimes, 80 cents in nickels and 18 cents in pennies.
- The hanging tray can be removed to create file storage with the available file hangers.
- The underside of the console bin lid includes storage options for pens, pencils, highlighters, business cards, tire gauges, small flashlights and tissue, among other items.
- Map pockets are provided on both driver and passenger sides.
- A two-level front storage compartment accommodates four cupholders, which are in two identical, removable modules. Each module can be individually removed to create larger storage tray spaces, or both can be removed and easily stowed for even more open space. A false-bottom tray, sitting just below the cupholder modules, creates an additional storage compartment that also can be removed to create one deep tub of storage space.
- Standard 110-volt inverter and socket at the rear of the console.
- 12-volt powerpoints at the rear of the console and inside the main bin; the powerpoint in the main bin is raised for easier access and a cord pass-through notch allows coiled cords or multiple cords to pass through the console with the armrest lid closed.
The cupholders ““ four in front and two in the rear ““ are modular and configurable. Each contains a rubber insert that can be removed for larger beverages. For a thermos ““ or a really big thirst ““ the front storage compartment contains a footprint for a 64-ounce beverage, which is accessible by removing the false-bottom tray and one cupholder module.
Enhanced seats provide more comfort
The seats of the new Super Duty are based off the well-received seats from the Ford F-150 and feature improved comfort and support, upgraded cloth and leather, and have available 10-way power adjustments. The front seats can be heated and cooled, and the driver’s seat has manual lumbar support standard. Lockable, underseat storage also is available.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 198,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.