Received: with LISTAR (v0.129a; list small-list); Fri, 06 Oct 2000 09:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 09:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server <listar ford-trucks.com>
To: small-list digest users <listar ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list Digest V2000 #164
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Small Chassis Truck Mailing List

Visit our  web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject  of  the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
small-list Digest Wed, 04 Oct 2000 Volume: 2000  Issue: 164

In This Issue:
Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
Re: Computerized reminders
Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
Re: Computerized reminders
obdII scanner
Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
More Firestone News
Engine ping / flowmasters
Radio removal
Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Re: Radio removal
Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Engine ping / flowmasters
Re: Engine ping / flowmasters

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Ardy2 aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:07:47 EDT
Subject: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger

I am having trouble removing the original radio.  Tonight, I finally got the
front trim off and have some access to the radio.  I cannot get it to budge.
Something must have it tied down or locked in place.

Anyone have experience with removing these.

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 21:20:04 -0700
From: Dan Wentz <dwentz earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Computerized reminders

This is a new one on me.  What's this console reminder that people are
resetting?  I've always just used the old fashioned "I changed the oil at
37,000 so I'll have to do it again at 40,000" method.

~Dan

1950 F1 351C--The reluctant daily driver thanks to the MTA strike.
1998 Explorer--With tires made in NC.  Not recalled--yet...




------------------------------

From: "Bill A'Hearn" <wahearn earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:29:02 -0700

If I remember correctly, the back of the radio in my ole '88 Ranger was
attached to the dash.

Bill
97 Explorer XLT 5.0L
99 F150 Lariat SC 5.4L

----- Original Message -----
From: <Ardy2 aol.com>
To: <small-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 9:07 PM
Subject: [small-list] Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger


> I am having trouble removing the original radio.  Tonight, I finally got
the
> front trim off and have some access to the radio.  I cannot get it to
budge.
> Something must have it tied down or locked in place.
>
> Anyone have experience with removing these.
>
> Thanks
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>
>


------------------------------

From: "Hans Luckoff" <hluckoff azteca.net>
Subject: Re: Computerized reminders
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:01:08 -0700

Dan,
They are talking about Ford's optional message center, it's in the floor
console and it keeps track of when you changed oil and when it is time to
change again, it is set for 7500 mile oil change under optimal conditions
but you can set it for 90% 80% 50% or what ever you choose. I guess it knows
what kind of driving you do and sets the amount of oil life left according
to that. It also tells you if your oil level is ok and your cooling system
is ok same with the alternator, how many gallons of fuel you have left and
how many miles to empty and etc. Hans
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Wentz" <dwentz earthlink.net>
To: <small-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 9:20 PM
Subject: [small-list] Re: Computerized reminders


> This is a new one on me.  What's this console reminder that people are
> resetting?  I've always just used the old fashioned "I changed the oil at
> 37,000 so I'll have to do it again at 40,000" method.
>
> ~Dan
>
> 1950 F1 351C--The reluctant daily driver thanks to the MTA strike.
> 1998 Explorer--With tires made in NC.  Not recalled--yet...
>
>
>
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

From: "Harold Bucks" <harold.bucks 1usa.com>
Subject: obdII scanner
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 04:03:28 -0400

A few months ago someone refered to a source that sold a scanner that
interfaced with a PC or laptop.  I've misplaced that information ( new
computer ) and am interested in purchasing one.  Can anyone help?  Thanks


------------------------------

From: "Jason Holmes" <castlerisk hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 17:55:07 GMT

My experience is with a '91 Ranger and '99 Explorer, but it should still
apply. Now that you have the front trim removed look on the both sides of
the radio and you should see four holes just about large enough to stick a
stretched coat hanger in. This is Ford's radio security. I tried using an
aftermarket Ford radio remover from Pep Boys and had poor results, but yours
may be better. What happens is you need to stick the removers into the holes
and pull (wiggling the radio as you go)

Or just do what I did, go by a local shop that specializes in radio
installations and have them pull your radio. I had to buy the bracket and
wiring kit anyway. The shop I went to did it for free


>From: Ardy2 aol.com
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: [small-list] Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
>Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:07:47 EDT
>
>I am having trouble removing the original radio.  Tonight, I finally got
>the
>front trim off and have some access to the radio.  I cannot get it to
>budge.
>Something must have it tied down or locked in place.
>
>Anyone have experience with removing these.
>
>Thanks
>=============================================================
>To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
>Please remove this footer when replying.
>

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.


------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:47:08 -0400
From: David Cooley <n5xmt triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger

At 01:55 PM 10/05/2000, you wrote:
>My experience is with a '91 Ranger and '99 Explorer, but it should still
>apply. Now that you have the front trim removed look on the both sides of
>the radio and you should see four holes just about large enough to stick a
>stretched coat hanger in. This is Ford's radio security. I tried using an
>aftermarket Ford radio remover from Pep Boys and had poor results, but
>yours may be better. What happens is you need to stick the removers into
>the holes and pull (wiggling the radio as you go)

It's actually reallly easy if you put the tools in and move them to the
sides.  that releases the latches, then pull out.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT triad.rr.com
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
I am Pentium of Borg... Division is Futile!
===========================================================


------------------------------

From: "Bobby Herring" <bherring htcomp.net>
Subject: More Firestone News
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:48:16 -0500

Some more firestone news:


http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20001005/bs/tire_deaths_spares_2.html



------------------------------

From: "Flynn Einhorn" <feinhorn hotmail.com>
Subject: Engine ping / flowmasters
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:57:45 EDT

I have a 1999 3.0L V6 Ranger XLT and it pings when I put regular gas in it.
Does this adversly effect the truck.  I also have flowmaster on it, could
that be it.  I know that when I put high grade gas in the ping stops.
Problem is that high test gas is so darn expensive. Anyone else have
flowmasters on their ranger?
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.


------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:11:20 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Replacing Factory Radio in 89 Ranger
From: Sandman <sandmanx pdq.net>

I just did this 2 weeks ago on my old 89.  I took out an aftermarket
stereo and replaced it with the factory.  I took off the plastic around
the steering column, took off 2 bolts behind the ashtray, and was able to
pull out the dash.  Took me about 15 minutes or less to do it.  From what
I can tell, there is nothing that would hold the radio down to the dash,
unless the wiring harness, or antenna connector was tight.  If you pull
the dash out, its the easiest way to get access to everything under there.


On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 Ardy2 aol.com wrote:

> I am having trouble removing the original radio.  Tonight, I finally got the
> front trim off and have some access to the radio.  I cannot get it to budge.
> Something must have it tied down or locked in place.
>
> Anyone have experience with removing these.
>
> Thanks
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>


------------------------------

From: "Flynn Einhorn" <feinhorn hotmail.com>
Subject: Radio removal
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:02:38 EDT

There is a actual tool to remove ford radios.  Well I know that the tool
used to take out the radio in my '99 ranger was a ford radio puller a
machanic friend of mine had.


_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.


------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:03:58 -0400
From: David Cooley <n5xmt triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Engine ping / flowmasters

At 03:57 PM 10/05/2000, you wrote:
>I have a 1999 3.0L V6 Ranger XLT and it pings when I put regular gas in it.
>Does this adversly effect the truck.  I also have flowmaster on it, could
>that be it.  I know that when I put high grade gas in the ping stops.
>Problem is that high test gas is so darn expensive. Anyone else have
>flowmasters on their ranger?


The problem is pretty common... Need to clean the MAF... the sensing wire
get's dirty, and the MAF senses less air than is really flowing into the
engine.  This makes the computer put in less fuel, leaning the
mixture.  That makes it ping.
Once you clean the MAF, you'll feel a pick up in power, and the ping will
go away on 87.


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT triad.rr.com
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
I am Pentium of Borg... Division is Futile!
===========================================================


------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:07:59 -0400
From: David Cooley <n5xmt triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Radio removal

At 04:02 PM 10/05/2000, you wrote:
>There is a actual tool to remove ford radios.  Well I know that the tool
>used to take out the radio in my '99 ranger was a ford radio puller a
>machanic friend of mine had.


Wal-Mart and any car stereo shop has them.


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT triad.rr.com
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
I am Pentium of Borg... Division is Futile!
===========================================================


------------------------------

From: "Flynn Einhorn" <feinhorn hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:17:27 EDT

Could it also have to do with the fact that I have a K&N cone open air
filter?  Is it getting to much air?  What is the MAF? Mass Air ....??
Anyway how do you go about cleaning it?


>From: David Cooley <n5xmt triad.rr.com>
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: [small-list] Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
>Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:03:58 -0400
>
>At 03:57 PM 10/05/2000, you wrote:
>>I have a 1999 3.0L V6 Ranger XLT and it pings when I put regular gas in
>>it.
>>Does this adversly effect the truck.  I also have flowmaster on it, could
>>that be it.  I know that when I put high grade gas in the ping stops.
>>Problem is that high test gas is so darn expensive. Anyone else have
>>flowmasters on their ranger?
>
>
>The problem is pretty common... Need to clean the MAF... the sensing wire
>get's dirty, and the MAF senses less air than is really flowing into the
>engine.  This makes the computer put in less fuel, leaning the
>mixture.  That makes it ping.
>Once you clean the MAF, you'll feel a pick up in power, and the ping will
>go away on 87.
>
>
>===========================================================
>David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT triad.rr.com
>Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
>I am Pentium of Borg... Division is Futile!
>===========================================================
>
>=============================================================
>To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
>Please remove this footer when replying.
>

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.


------------------------------

From: "Hans Luckoff" <hluckoff azteca.net>
Subject: Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:33:26 -0700

I also have a 99 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 and the Flowmaster 50 series muffler
and 2.5 inch tailpipe, I have never had the problem before or after the
cat-back was installed. I don't think it's the flowmaster.  Hans


----- Original Message -----
From: "Flynn Einhorn" <feinhorn hotmail.com>
To: <small-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 12:57 PM
Subject: [small-list] Engine ping / flowmasters


> I have a 1999 3.0L V6 Ranger XLT and it pings when I put regular gas in
it.
> Does this adversly effect the truck.  I also have flowmaster on it, could
> that be it.  I know that when I put high grade gas in the ping stops.
> Problem is that high test gas is so darn expensive. Anyone else have
> flowmasters on their ranger?
> _________________________________________________________________________
> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.
>
> Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.
>
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

From: "Joe M" <merchjo bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Engine ping / flowmasters
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 21:36:39 -0400

Nope sorry.  I have the same problem as you.  Ford has replaced a ton of
parts and still could not figure it out.  They finally came down to say it
was the way we drive are trucks.  You have 3 options

1 - Use 93 fuel
2 - Use a colder plug - NGK V grooved worked for me
3 - Install a DIS - I use Jacobs electronics very nice unit.

#3 is were I am out now.  I did have some good luck with #2 but on really
hot days, it still pinged.

I am in the processes of suing Ford for breach or warrantee as I am over the
limit for a lemon law.

Hope this helps

List of parts replaced

MAF
Coil pack 3 times
Reprogram of spark curves 3 time (original one was to set octane to 87
instead of 93)
Replacement of computer
pickup coil
wires


-----Original Message-----
From: small-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:small-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Flynn Einhorn
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 3:58 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [small-list] Engine ping / flowmasters


I have a 1999 3.0L V6 Ranger XLT and it pings when I put regular gas in it.
Does this adversly effect the truck.  I also have flowmaster on it, could
that be it.  I know that when I put high grade gas in the ping stops.
Problem is that high test gas is so darn expensive. Anyone else have
flowmasters on their ranger?
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://profiles.msn.com.

=============================================================
To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:27:34 +0100
From: Adam McLaughlin <kd6poc jps.net>
Subject: Engine ping / flowmasters

I have a flowmaster series 50 on my 1988 2.9 Bronco 2. I am using JBA headers,
and a 2 1/2" pipe out behind the rear right wheel. I have burned nothing but 92
grade in it for the life of the engine, so I have no idea what the cheap stuff
runs like.

But, hey, I do have a flowmaster on the motor. :-)

Flowmaster is located here in Town, approximately 1.8 miles from my house so
there stuff is cheap and everywhere here in Santa Rosa.

Adam

Flynn Einhorn wrote:

> I have a 1999 3.0L V6 Ranger XLT and it pings when I put regular gas in it.
> Does this adversly effect the truck.  I also have flowmaster on it, could
> that be it.  I know that when I put high grade gas in the ping stops.
> Problem is that high test gas is so darn expensive. Anyone else have
> flowmasters on their ranger?
> _____________________


------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:35:40 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier <jmc.chartier sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Engine ping / flowmasters



Flynn Einhorn wrote:

> Could it also have to do with the fact that I have a K&N cone open air
> filter?  Is it getting to much air?  What is the MAF? Mass Air ....??
> Anyway how do you go about cleaning it?

   Check out the following site; http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/exp.html ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.