From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #326
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Monday, December 13 1999 Volume 03 : Number 326



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
FTE Small - Fuel Pressure Regulators
Re: FTE Small - Fuel Pressure Regulators
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Fuel Pressure Regulators
RE: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise
FTE Small - Introduction
FTE Small - Oil Filter preference?
Re: FTE Small - Introduction
Re: FTE Small - Introduction

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:35:14 EST
From: Usrock aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

In answer to your vibration question, you might have a problem with the
Torc(?) Converter. I had a similar problem with another vehicle i owned.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 08:37:08 -0800
From: Adam McLaughlin
Subject: FTE Small - Fuel Pressure Regulators

Are fuel pressure regulators supposed to click? Mine makes a clicking
sound when I put my stethescope probe on it. When I pull the vacuum
line, it doesn't come away wet or anything. It just clicks.

Adam

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:58:51 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Fuel Pressure Regulators

At 08:37 AM 12/12/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Are fuel pressure regulators supposed to click? Mine makes a clicking
>sound when I put my stethescope probe on it. When I pull the vacuum
>line, it doesn't come away wet or anything. It just clicks.


Your hearing the clicking of the fuel injectors that is conducted thru the
fuel rails.
If the line isn't wet, you need a Fuel pressure guage to make sure the
regulator isn't stuck open or closed.
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:01:51 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

If you accelerate harder when it vibrates does the vibration go away?
When was the last time the trans fluid/filter was replaced?
If it goes away when you take your foot off the gas and when you accelerate
harder, it's "Torque Converter Shudder" which can be caused by old worn
fluid and/or a plugged trans filter.

At 11:11 PM 12/11/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>I have an 88 Ranger 2.9L 107,xxx miles, with an Auto Trans. I'm not sure
>which trans it is, but I believe there was only one that went in during that
>year.
>
>Anyway, I am getting a vibration that seems to be coming from the
>transmission. It happens when I put it in both D and OD (3rd and 4th).
>
>When the truck hits 45 mph or higher range it develops a vibration during
>some acceleration and some steady driving. About the only time it isn't
>there is when I'm slowing down.
>
>At first I thought that it was 4th gear because when in OD it starts just
>after it shifts into 4th gear (45 mph). To test this I left it in 3rd and
>went up into the 60's and it did the same thing. At about 45 this vibration
>started and happened the same as in 4th gear.
>
>Any ideas? If it's not the tranny, could it be universal joints?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Rick
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:14:54 -0600
From: "C R Blanchard"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

I was told it was changed right before I bought the truck, but that was
14,000 miles ago.

I was planning to try that this afternoon as a first step to solving the
problem.

I'll post if I find anything new.

Thanks.

Rick



>If you accelerate harder when it vibrates does the vibration go away?
>When was the last time the trans fluid/filter was replaced?
>If it goes away when you take your foot off the gas and when you accelerate
>harder, it's "Torque Converter Shudder" which can be caused by old worn
>fluid and/or a plugged trans filter.
>David

>>Anyway, I am getting a vibration that seems to be coming from the
>>transmission. It happens when I put it in both D and OD (3rd and 4th).
>>
>>When the truck hits 45 mph or higher range it develops a vibration during
>>some acceleration and some steady driving. About the only time it isn't
>>there is when I'm slowing down.
>>
>>At first I thought that it was 4th gear because when in OD it starts just
>>after it shifts into 4th gear (45 mph). To test this I left it in 3rd and
>>went up into the 60's and it did the same thing. At about 45 this
vibration
>>started and happened the same as in 4th gear.
>>Rick

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:23:51 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

Rick,
WHen you change the fluid, if there isn't a drain plug for the torque
convertor, you'd be better off going to a shop that does trans
flushes... They hook up to the trans cooler lines and suck out the old
fluid and put in new. This gets all the old fluid out of the torque
converter (probably 60-75% of the total trans fluid is in the converter)
and ensures that it's all new... THEN drop the pan and change the filter.


At 12:14 PM 12/12/1999 -0600, you wrote:

>I was told it was changed right before I bought the truck, but that was
>14,000 miles ago.
>
>I was planning to try that this afternoon as a first step to solving the
>problem.
>
>I'll post if I find anything new.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Rick




===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:50:34 -0600
From: "C R Blanchard"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

Will it hurt driving it around like that for a day or two until I can get it
into the shop?

Rick


>Rick,
>When you change the fluid, if there isn't a drain plug for the torque
>convertor, you'd be better off going to a shop that does trans
>flushes... They hook up to the trans cooler lines and suck out the old
>fluid and put in new. This gets all the old fluid out of the torque
>converter (probably 60-75% of the total trans fluid is in the converter)
>and ensures that it's all new... THEN drop the pan and change the filter.
>David

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:09:19 EST
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

tranny fluid is an acid.. so if you have any problems with the transmission
its not a good idea to replace the tranny fluid . doing that accellerates teh
burning of the clutches in the tranny.. I never change my fluid, just the
filter and i get many miles out of a transmission. If the color of the fluid
is dark instead of cherry red youd best be savin up for a new tranny
Bob
99 Ranger
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:50:26 -0800
From: Adam McLaughlin
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Fuel Pressure Regulators

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. It seems that I have seen your signature block
somewhere else... Are you a fan of boat anchors? I used to be a member a
couple of years ago... The rig here is a Eico 720, followed by a pair of 807s
in P-P, with an SX-42 or SX-28 as the hearing aid. The antenna is a 80 meter
zepp fed with an L-C-L antenna tuner out of an old handbook. I work full break
in with this set-up on 7037 kHz...

How about yourself?

Adam


> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:11:08 -0500
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

I disagree, I have changed my trans fluid every 30K miles. My last Ranger
had 130K miles on it when I sold it and the trans was as good as the day I
bought it. Not changing your fluid is asking for trouble and you will void
any extended warranty.

Joe

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of ROlson1039 aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 1999 2:09 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise


tranny fluid is an acid.. so if you have any problems with the transmission
its not a good idea to replace the tranny fluid . doing that accellerates
teh
burning of the clutches in the tranny.. I never change my fluid, just the
filter and i get many miles out of a transmission. If the color of the fluid
is dark instead of cherry red youd best be savin up for a new tranny
Bob
99 Ranger
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:31:20 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

At 12:50 PM 12/12/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Will it hurt driving it around like that for a day or two until I can get it
>into the shop?


Shouldn't... mine did it for a couple weeks before I changed it.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:33:10 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

At 02:09 PM 12/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>tranny fluid is an acid.. so if you have any problems with the transmission
>its not a good idea to replace the tranny fluid . doing that accellerates teh
>burning of the clutches in the tranny.. I never change my fluid, just the
>filter and i get many miles out of a transmission. If the color of the fluid
>is dark instead of cherry red youd best be savin up for a new tranny


Trans fluid is not an acid. It's an oil. Changing it REDUCES the burning
of the clutches. When it turns from red to brown that means the friction
modifiers in it are basically used up.


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:39:11 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission Noise

At 02:09 PM 12/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>tranny fluid is an acid.. so if you have any problems with the transmission
>its not a good idea to replace the tranny fluid . doing that accellerates teh
>burning of the clutches in the tranny.. I never change my fluid, just the
>filter and i get many miles out of a transmission. If the color of the fluid
>is dark instead of cherry red youd best be savin up for a new tranny


I suppose your piston return springs and muffler bearings are still in good
shape eh?
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:31:27 -0500
From: Kevin Crain
Subject: FTE Small - Introduction

Hiya folks-

I recently bought a '99 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 extended cab w/ 3.0L engine,
found the ford-trucks.com Website while digging for info and sub to
small-list and offroad mailing lists.

I started out looking at the Chevy S-10, tested a new one while I was truck
shopping and it was a total mess. It squeaked and rattled over RR tracks
and just overall felt loose. I thought maybe it was a fluke, took another
new one out and got the same thing. No thanks.

This is my first Ford, I've had it for a week now and absolutely love it!
The 3.0 is a tad wheezy, if I had it to do over again I'd get the 4.0L
option. Maybe it'll get a little peppier after it's broken-in.

Question for the group: are there any known "gotchas" I should be looking
out for on it? Seems like with most vehicles there are quirks and whatnot,
anything on the '99s?

Thanks a bunch, I look forward to participating.

- -Kevin


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:56:27 -0500
From: Kevin Crain
Subject: FTE Small - Oil Filter preference?

With the 1500mile break-in oil change coming (any recommendations on doing
it sooner than 1500?) I was wondering what oil filters are considered the
best. I've been using Mobil synthetic-media filters on my other cars, is
there anything better than this around?

As for oil, I'm a big fan of Amsoil. Anyone aware of any reason not to use
Amsoil 5W-30 in the 3.0L V6 engine?

Historically:
(synthetic oil + magnetic oil plug + hi-po filter) = 200K mile longevity

Hoping to get similar results from the Ranger...even if I change my acidic
tranny fluid every 30K miles or so. ;-)

Thanks,
- -Kevin Crain
- -1999 Ranger Extended Cab 4x4
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:09:18 -0600
From: "John Becker"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Introduction

Kevin,

First welcome to the list.
Good to see that you are on your 1st FORD.
I did the same thing about 20 years ago.
this ford that i now have is a 92 ranger with 162,000 miles.
so for a have only had 3 troblems with it.

ran out of gas once, had a falt tire and left the lights on and
ran the battery down.

Wife has a 98 explorer.

John
Louisiana, Missouri.


>Hiya folks-
>
>I recently bought a '99 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 extended cab w/ 3.0L engine,
>found the ford-trucks.com Website while digging for info and sub to
>small-list and offroad mailing lists.
>
>I started out looking at the Chevy S-10, tested a new one while I was truck
>shopping and it was a total mess. It squeaked and rattled over RR tracks
>and just overall felt loose. I thought maybe it was a fluke, took another
>new one out and got the same thing. No thanks.
>
>This is my first Ford, I've had it for a week now and absolutely love it!
>The 3.0 is a tad wheezy, if I had it to do over again I'd get the 4.0L
>option. Maybe it'll get a little peppier after it's broken-in.
>
>Question for the group: are there any known "gotchas" I should be looking
>out for on it? Seems like with most vehicles there are quirks and whatnot,
>anything on the '99s?
>
>Thanks a bunch, I look forward to participating.
>
>-Kevin
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:17:52 -0600
From: alannorthstar mindspring.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Introduction

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:31:27 -0500, you wrote:

:Hiya folks-
:
:I recently bought a '99 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 extended cab w/ 3.0L engine,
:found the ford-trucks.com Website while digging for info and sub=
to
:small-list and offroad mailing lists.
:
:I started out looking at the Chevy S-10, tested a new one while I was =
truck
:shopping and it was a total mess. It squeaked and rattled over RR =
tracks
:and just overall felt loose. I thought maybe it was a fluke, took =
another
:new one out and got the same thing. No thanks.
:
:This is my first Ford, I've had it for a week now and absolutely love =
it!
:The 3.0 is a tad wheezy, if I had it to do over again I'd get the 4.0L
:option. Maybe it'll get a little peppier after it's broken-in.
:
:Question for the group: are there any known "gotchas" I should be =
looking
:out for on it? Seems like with most vehicles there are quirks and =
whatnot,
:anything on the '99s?
:
:Thanks a bunch, I look forward to participating.
:
:-Kevin
: =20
I've got a 98 configured about like yours. The only thing I had to
look out for was the recall on the cruise control, but I don't think
that affects yours.

Yeah, I wish I'd gotten the 4.0, too. I'm tempted to trade it in on a
new one with the 4.0 and the 5-speed automatic, but I'll probably just
not have the energy to do that!

In the summer, with the windows open, the 3.0 is pretty good fun, but....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.