From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #306
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Tuesday, November 23 1999 Volume 03 : Number 306



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

RE: FTE Small - OBD-II
Re: FTE Small - MAF
Re: FTE Small - Starting Problem
RE: FTE Small - ford
RE: FTE Small - OBD-II
Re: FTE Small - MAF
RE: FTE Small - All sorts of '93 Explorer Diff/Trans questions
RE: FTE Small - All sorts of '93 Explorer Diff/Trans questions
Re: FTE Small - Gears and Differentials
Re: FTE Small - OBD-II
Re: FTE Small - OBD-II
[none]
FTE Small - no list on sunday
FTE Small - 97 door lock problem and question about manuals
Re: FTE Small - 97 door lock problem and question about manuals
Re: FTE Small - OBD-II
FTE Small - Nylock Nut sizes

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 06:28:51 -0500
From: "J.Merchak"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - OBD-II

How well is the scan tool built? Is it worth $120.00?

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of David A. Cooley
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 1999 11:47 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - OBD-II


For those of you with 96 and newer vehicles with OBD-II that want to see
what the engine is doing, if you have a laptop computer, Alex Peper sells a
scantool with cable/software that does GM/Ford/Chrysler for 120.00 (single
make) or 162.00 for all 3.
Works great as I've been playing with mine all weekend!

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they
didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 06:53:46 -0500
From: Wesley Murphy
Subject: Re: FTE Small - MAF

David, I've seen the device you're talking about on a TNN show called
Shadetree Mechanic and it does look sharp. However, what are the options
for those of use that have an older vehicle? Is there something besides a
code reader or is a code reader as good as it gets?

Wesley Murphy
91 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Pine Knot, Kentucky


> For those that want to play with the OBD-II in the EEC-V, check out
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.obd-2.com/
> Alex has a scantool that runs $120.00 for a single interface (ford, GM, or
> chrysler) and $162.00 for all 3 in one.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:19:43 PST
From: "Jason Holmes"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Starting Problem

I might be over my head for my response, but my situation is similar. My 91
Ranger w/3.0 blew the main coil wire, but prior to that it had trouble
starting as well. On closer inspection it appeared as if it was waiting to
happen. If you are due for a plug change (or haven't changed them in a
while) I'd change your plug wires and coil wire.

Jason

>My '96 Ranger with the 3.0 engine and 99K miles on it had trouble starting
>for the first time ever this morning. I turned the key and the engine
>'started to start'. As soon as I let go of the key the engine immediately
>died as if there were no spark. This happened twice. On the third try it
>started normally. Any ideas?

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:58:21 +0200
From: Bolte Brent
Subject: RE: FTE Small - ford

The Teflon that is used on cookware is bonded to the metal
at a temperature of about 800-900 degrees. Since you will not
usually find that kind of temperature in an operating engine,
the Teflon never ends up actually bonding with any of the engine
parts and just keeps circulating around with the oil until it is
drained out when the oil is changed. That's why Dupont has
never endorsed the use of their Teflon products in motor oil
additives because they've said that the claims of the people
selling the products are false since there is no way that the
Teflon additive could ever actually bond with the internal
engine parts as these products claim that they do.
It was Briggs and Stratton that did the long term
test of Teflon containing additives. They found two
interesting things during this test. The first was that
the oil passages in the engines that contained the
Teflon products were plugged up with a large amount
of the Teflon additive ( which was verified in testing
after the engines were torn down ). The second thing
they found was that after running some of the engines
with standard oil and the others with standard oil and
a Teflon additive, then draining the oil and running the
engines until they died, the engines without the Teflon
additive ran longer after the oil was drained and they
found less damage to their internal parts when torn
down after the test was completed. The engines with
the Teflon additive showed large amounts of piston wall
scoring and crank bearing damage.
One other interesting note to this, watch adds that
now appear for products like Slick50 and other products
that used to advertise the wonders of the use of Teflon
additives in their products. The adds no longer even
mention Teflon and I'm not so sure that they even contain
Teflon any longer ( they are more or less a bottle of high
grade anti-friction additives ). Does that tell you something?

Later, Brent Bolte

On Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Dave Slotter wrote

> The point about Teflon is that it does not easily bond
> with other substances (how "they" get Teflon to bond
> with cookware would be very interesting for me to find
> out).

On Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999, David A. Cooley wrote:

> I think it was Briggs and Stratton did a test of long term
> useage of Teflon containing additives... they found the oil
> passages with large deposits that plugged them. Dupont
> also states that their Teflon product has no place in an
> engine oil.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:19:30 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: RE: FTE Small - OBD-II

At 06:28 AM 11/22/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>How well is the scan tool built? Is it worth $120.00?


Considering that anything else OBD-2 is going to cost you $1000.00 and up,
it's well worth it!
It's Ugly, but it's built well... Has a short 9 pin serial cable to go to
the laptop, and a 43 or 4 foot OBD-II cable to go to the car. The
electronics are housed in a Blue Electrical outlet box (plastic) with a
plain beige cover. The board inside is hand wired, but neat, and sealed
with a conformal coating to prevent corrosion etc.
I also forgot to mention that if you are a full time student, he takes half
off the price, and if you want to build it (kit form) then it's another
$12.00 off.


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:21:37 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - MAF

At 06:53 AM 11/15/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>David, I've seen the device you're talking about on a TNN show called
>Shadetree Mechanic and it does look sharp. However, what are the options
>for those of use that have an older vehicle? Is there something besides a
>code reader or is a code reader as good as it gets?


For fords, I haven't seen any home built scantools for the older non OBD-2
systems... There are a bunch for GM's though... Probably the closest thing,
is Diacom. http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.rinda.com/
They make a cable/software for the older GM/Ford/Chrysler vehicles, but
it's $400.00!

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:28:58 +0200
From: Bolte Brent
Subject: RE: FTE Small - All sorts of '93 Explorer Diff/Trans questions

Typically, the actual trailer towing package, as
you seem to indicate came with your '93 EB, included
the 3.73 axle ratio with limited slip differential in the rear
axle. Ford however has made many axle ratio's available
in the Explorers over the years and depending upon what
option packages were involved a particular ratio may or
may not have come with a limited slip differential. You
should be able to tell by the tag that is mounted off of
one of the rear differential covers mounting bolts. I
believe that you would see something like "3.73 LS"
on the tag to indicate a Limited Slip differential. If it
just shows 3.73 without the LS, then it may just be
a standard open differential 3.73 rear end.
The "hopping" you are experiencing when
cornering on dry pavement with the 4X4 system engaged
is caused by binding between the front and rear drive
shafts. This is caused by the fact that when going
around corners the radius of the turn taken by front
wheels and the rear wheels is different and that causes
the drive shafts to try to and turn at different speeds.
Since the part time transfer case in the 1991-94 Explorers
simply makes a direct connection between the front and
rear drive shafts when engaged ( there is no center
differential in the transfer case ), the "hopping" occurs
because one of the drive shafts is trying to make the
other drive shaft turn at its speed ( turn a sharp enough
corner and apply enough power and the binding will go
away when the drive chain in the transfer case breaks ).
As for trying to convert this system to a full-
time system that can be used on dry pavement conditions,
good luck. I've never seen any kits or add on parts that
will allow a part time system like this to be converted into
any kind of a useful full time system. You would probably
have to start by changing the entire transfer case to a
different unit that contained a center differential, a viscous
coupling ( like is used on the V8 AWD Explorers ) or
some other type of computer controlled lockup system
( like the Control Trac system used on '95 and newer
V6 Explorers ). By the time all of the modifications are
made, it would probably have been as cheap to just trade
your '93 EB in on a '95 or newer Explorer that already
contained either AWD or the Control Trac system or one
of the many other SUV's that come with a full time 4X4
system.

Later, Brent Bolte


On Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Geoffrey Hoffman wrote:

> So, does that mean that I have ht elimited slip in the back?

> I am wondering what it would be like to also make it so
> that I have more of a "natural" full-time four wheel drive.
> Right now, in four wheel drive I get the "hopping" from
> when going around turns. Since both the front and the
> rear diffs seem to be mostly open, then I am guess it
> is the binding _between_ the front and the back, and
> wondering if it is just a straight connection (Which is
> my guess).

> If it is just a direct connection, is it possible to put
> something in? like a thrid diff in the middle, or a
> viscous coupling or any of those other wonderful
> things? This is more of making it so that I can do
> full time 4wd on pavement and stuff more comfortably,
> the earlier questions are in regards to off road/sloppy
> stuff.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:09:00 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: RE: FTE Small - All sorts of '93 Explorer Diff/Trans questions

Don't forget that using 4wd high or low on dry pavement will RUIN a very
expensive transfer case in less than 100 miles!


At 04:28 PM 11/22/1999 +0200, you wrote:
> Typically, the actual trailer towing package, as
>you seem to indicate came with your '93 EB, included
>the 3.73 axle ratio with limited slip differential in the rear
>axle. Ford however has made many axle ratio's available
>in the Explorers over the years and depending upon what
>option packages were involved a particular ratio may or
>may not have come with a limited slip differential. You
>should be able to tell by the tag that is mounted off of
>one of the rear differential covers mounting bolts. I
>believe that you would see something like "3.73 LS"
>on the tag to indicate a Limited Slip differential. If it
>just shows 3.73 without the LS, then it may just be
>a standard open differential 3.73 rear end.
> The "hopping" you are experiencing when
>cornering on dry pavement with the 4X4 system engaged
>is caused by binding between the front and rear drive
>shafts. This is caused by the fact that when going
>around corners the radius of the turn taken by front
>wheels and the rear wheels is different and that causes
>the drive shafts to try to and turn at different speeds.
>Since the part time transfer case in the 1991-94 Explorers
>simply makes a direct connection between the front and
>rear drive shafts when engaged ( there is no center
>differential in the transfer case ), the "hopping" occurs
>because one of the drive shafts is trying to make the
>other drive shaft turn at its speed ( turn a sharp enough
>corner and apply enough power and the binding will go
>away when the drive chain in the transfer case breaks ).
> As for trying to convert this system to a full-
>time system that can be used on dry pavement conditions,
>good luck. I've never seen any kits or add on parts that
>will allow a part time system like this to be converted into
>any kind of a useful full time system. You would probably
>have to start by changing the entire transfer case to a
>different unit that contained a center differential, a viscous
>coupling ( like is used on the V8 AWD Explorers ) or
>some other type of computer controlled lockup system
>( like the Control Trac system used on '95 and newer
>V6 Explorers ). By the time all of the modifications are
>made, it would probably have been as cheap to just trade
>your '93 EB in on a '95 or newer Explorer that already
>contained either AWD or the Control Trac system or one
>of the many other SUV's that come with a full time 4X4
>system.
>
>Later, Brent Bolte
>
>
>On Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Geoffrey Hoffman wrote:
>
> > So, does that mean that I have ht elimited slip in the back?
>
> > I am wondering what it would be like to also make it so
> > that I have more of a "natural" full-time four wheel drive.
> > Right now, in four wheel drive I get the "hopping" from
> > when going around turns. Since both the front and the
> > rear diffs seem to be mostly open, then I am guess it
> > is the binding _between_ the front and the back, and
> > wondering if it is just a straight connection (Which is
> > my guess).
>
> > If it is just a direct connection, is it possible to put
> > something in? like a thrid diff in the middle, or a
> > viscous coupling or any of those other wonderful
> > things? This is more of making it so that I can do
> > full time 4wd on pavement and stuff more comfortably,
> > the earlier questions are in regards to off road/sloppy
> > stuff.
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:38:18 -0400
From: Christopher J Abele
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Gears and Differentials

Can someone explain to me the differences in gearing for trucks and cars?
I have NO CLUE what they are and how they affect the ride and driving
ability.

Also, can someone explain the differential? Limited slip? Uhhhh. . .
what?

Christopher J. Abele
1562 Archwood Lane
Toledo, OH 43614
home: (419)382-8581; cell: (419)297-2209


___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 17:35:11 -0400
From: Christopher J Abele
Subject: Re: FTE Small - OBD-II

>I also forgot to mention that if you are a full time student, he takes
>half off.

Hmmm. . . I'm curious as to how many full time students can afford a 96
or newer Ford. . . Maybe a Ranger with a 4 but probably not much else. .
.

Will this scanner work on a Mustang? What all does it read and display?

>===========================================================
>David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
>Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
>We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
>===========================================================

Christopher J. Abele
1562 Archwood Lane
Toledo, OH 43614
home: (419)382-8581; cell: (419)297-2209

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:24:35 -0500
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - OBD-II

At 05:35 PM 4/2/2000 -0400, you wrote:


> >I also forgot to mention that if you are a full time student, he takes
> >half off.
>
>Hmmm. . . I'm curious as to how many full time students can afford a 96
>or newer Ford. . . Maybe a Ranger with a 4 but probably not much else. .
>.
>
>Will this scanner work on a Mustang? What all does it read and display?

It will work on *ANY* OBD-II equipped vehicle.
As far as what will it read and display, anything the EEC supports as being
sent. I get about 3 pages worth of data on my 97 explorer... MAF, O2 volts
(from each of the 4 sensors), TPS, load, short term fuel corrections for
each bank of cylinders, Long term corrections, RPM, MPH, coolant temp etc...
Also shows you trouble codes and a description of what the code means! No
more looking it up in a book somewhere!

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:47:28 MST
From: "Travis Johnson"
Subject: [none]

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:52:45 MST
From: "Travis Johnson"
Subject: FTE Small - no list on sunday

I placed a post Saturday night and then never got the list on sunday.
Does anybody have any comments or answers about my Gas mieage in my 87 STX
Ranger, or did my posting even get placed. Also are skidplates part of the
STX package?

Thanks
Flatheadv8
ICQ #15598612

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:30:02 -0800
From: "Craig Rubin"
Subject: FTE Small - 97 door lock problem and question about manuals

Hi All,

The outside passenger key lock just went useless. It will hardly turn
either way and seems bound up. Use of power door lock unlocks door just
fine. Nothing else is affected with the door.

I have been looking for an aftermarket manual in local auto stores for a 97
Explorer 5.0 and not had any luck. Suggestions on where to purchase one are
appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig Rubin
crubin foxinternet.net


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:03:38 -0500
From: Steve Bozzone
Subject: Re: FTE Small - 97 door lock problem and question about manuals

take a look at amazon.com, i got my chilton's manual for my 88 bronco ii
from there.

in no way affiliated with amazon,
steve

Craig Rubin wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> The outside passenger key lock just went useless. It will hardly turn
> either way and seems bound up. Use of power door lock unlocks door just
> fine. Nothing else is affected with the door.
>
> I have been looking for an aftermarket manual in local auto stores for a 97
> Explorer 5.0 and not had any luck. Suggestions on where to purchase one are
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig Rubin
> crubin foxinternet.net
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

- --
Steve Bozzone
Administrative Director - http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://rockzone.com
ICQ: 196843 || AIM: RudeSkam69
-- "I see now mankind was not meant to last." [Hatebreed] --
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:04:45 -0500
From: Steve Bozzone
Subject: Re: FTE Small - OBD-II

I wouldn't be so sure: don't forget mommy and daddy.

- -steve

Christopher J Abele wrote:
>
> >I also forgot to mention that if you are a full time student, he takes
> >half off.
>
> Hmmm. . . I'm curious as to how many full time students can afford a 96
> or newer Ford. . . Maybe a Ranger with a 4 but probably not much else. .
> .
>
> Will this scanner work on a Mustang? What all does it read and display?
>
> >===========================================================
> >David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> >Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> >We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> >===========================================================
>
> Christopher J. Abele
> 1562 Archwood Lane
> Toledo, OH 43614
> home: (419)382-8581; cell: (419)297-2209
>
> ___________________________________________________________________
> Get the Internet just the way you want it.
> Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
> Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

- --
Steve Bozzone
Administrative Director - http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://rockzone.com
ICQ: 196843 || AIM: RudeSkam69
-- "I see now mankind was not meant to last." [Hatebreed] --
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:57:52 -0800
From: Adam McLaughlin
Subject: FTE Small - Nylock Nut sizes

Is there anyone on either of these two lists who has the James Duff 3"
VR lift for the Bronco II? I need to know what size nylock nuts the new....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.