From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #267
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Thursday, October 14 1999 Volume 03 : Number 267



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?
Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?
Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?
Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?
Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?
FTE Small - heater core
Re: FTE Small - heater core
FTE Small - wheel offset

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 07:42:03 -0400
From: "Edward C. Miller"
Subject: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?

My 98 Explorer SOHC 6cyl (27Kmiles) is going into the shop next week for the
cruise control recall. Along with this I have a rear window wiper that doesn't
work and a CD player that won't eject or play a CD I like (Ford builds them
just as good as a Toyota, NOT).

I remember reading in this listing that a clunking noise I've been hearing
lately when I go over rough roads may be a bad shock. Could anyone give me
details (car seems awefully new to need new shocks)?

Are there any other "Explorer problems" that I should keep my eyes open for. (I
think I noticed the brake caliper guides getting rusty when I greased them at
~20k miles).


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:14:56 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?

At 07:42 AM 10/13/1999 -0400, you wrote:


>My 98 Explorer SOHC 6cyl (27Kmiles) is going into the shop next week for the
>cruise control recall. Along with this I have a rear window wiper that
>doesn't
>work and a CD player that won't eject or play a CD I like (Ford builds them
>just as good as a Toyota, NOT).


Toyota has just as many problems as Ford... I know of people that just
won't buy another Toyota due to problems in the past that were severe and
un-warranted.


>I remember reading in this listing that a clunking noise I've been hearing
>lately when I go over rough roads may be a bad shock. Could anyone give me
>details (car seems awefully new to need new shocks)?


Could be a bad shock, could be bad ball joints etc. Ford shocks don't last
much past 36K miles, if they last to that point.



===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:23:15 +0100
From: "Neil Brownlee"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?

Ha! Want some advice on the 98 Explorer? DO NOT let Ford near it. They are
100% from the factory...a gorgeous piece of kit...JUST do not let anyone
near it. As for the CD, I had that problem, they went through 3 CD changers
before they changed the cable between the CD and the Head Unit.....

My wiper failed, the nut on the inside fell out, if you open the tailgate,
can you hear a rattle? It's the nut. Trust me.

I am the first customer in the UK to have my Explorer wrecked by a dealer.
They have had to buy it off me because they've broken the engine.....

Neil



- ----- Original Message -----
From: Edward C. Miller
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 12:42 PM
Subject: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?


>
>
> My 98 Explorer SOHC 6cyl (27Kmiles) is going into the shop next week for
the
> cruise control recall. Along with this I have a rear window wiper that
doesn't
> work and a CD player that won't eject or play a CD I like (Ford builds
them
> just as good as a Toyota, NOT).
>
> I remember reading in this listing that a clunking noise I've been hearing
> lately when I go over rough roads may be a bad shock. Could anyone give
me
> details (car seems awefully new to need new shocks)?
>
> Are there any other "Explorer problems" that I should keep my eyes open
for. (I
> think I noticed the brake caliper guides getting rusty when I greased them
at
> ~20k miles).
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:37:13 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?

At 01:23 PM 10/13/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>I am the first customer in the UK to have my Explorer wrecked by a dealer.
>They have had to buy it off me because they've broken the engine.....

Neil,
Did you finally get any resolution?
I know they were going to give you something, then changed their minds and
said heck no...
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:01:58 +0100
From: "Neil Brownlee"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?

Solution? Ha ha ha ha...the solution I got from them was a firm telling off.
They sourced me a Discovery finally, but guess what? It was stick shift with
a filthy interior. After seeing it, I went out and sourced my own. As far as
I'm concerned, Ford Motor Company, i.e the people who make our cars, can
make cars, Ford Dealers....Monkeys? What's the difference, bar one is paid
with peanuts?

Neil

- ----- Original Message -----
From: David Cooley
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: FTE Small - FTE: Warrenty Repairs - what should I look for?


> At 01:23 PM 10/13/1999 +0100, you wrote:
> >I am the first customer in the UK to have my Explorer wrecked by a
dealer.
> >They have had to buy it off me because they've broken the engine.....
>
> Neil,
> Did you finally get any resolution?
> I know they were going to give you something, then changed their minds and
> said heck no...
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:53:15 -0400
From: "Pat Hester"
Subject: FTE Small - heater core

I am about to replace the heater core in our 91 Explorer..Can anyone advise
me on how tough a job this will be??? I just did the one in my 88 Ranger
and it was a breeze. I am hoping the Explorer is as easy. Thanks in
advance.

Pat

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:19:40 +0100
From: Wesley Murphy
Subject: Re: FTE Small - heater core

I'm getting ready to do the same thing Pat. In my 91 Eddie Bauer, the
windshield fogs up immediately after starting, especially
if it was last left in the heat/defrost position. Let me know how the job
goes. I'm still undecided as to whether I should have it done or do it
myself.

Wesley Murphy
91 Eddie Bauer
Pine Knot, Kentucky

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Pat Hester
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 11:53 PM
Subject: FTE Small - heater core


> I am about to replace the heater core in our 91 Explorer..Can anyone
advise
> me on how tough a job this will be??? I just did the one in my 88 Ranger
> and it was a breeze. I am hoping the Explorer is as easy. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Pat


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:09:50 -0700
From: Richard Salitra
Subject: FTE Small - wheel offset

I got a '98 sc 4x4 & I'm going to change my wheel/tire setup from the
stock 16x7 wheels with P235R7016 Firstone Wilderness AT tires to 15x8
wheels with 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich AT KO tires. I decided to go with
15" rims because I can get approximately the same overall diameter &
width at less cost (I don't like the looks of the original 16" rims & am
replacing them anyways). Since I've not done this before, I was hoping
that someone might be able to help me with figuring out the proper
offset. BTW, I decided I'd prefer to go with the American Racing Outlaw
II as it's a good looking wheel at a reasonable price. Thanks for the
help.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.