From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #255
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Saturday, October 2 1999 Volume 03 : Number 255



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - Lemon Laws?
Re: FTE Small - Lemon Laws?
RE: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission
RE: FTE Small - re: 4 cyl in 4x4
RE: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission
Re: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission
Re: [Re: FTE Small - Lemon Laws?]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:10:46 +0100
From: "Neil Brownlee"
Subject: FTE Small - Lemon Laws?

Over here in the UK there seems to be no lemon law, for example, my dealer
asked me to take back my Explorer with an air leak in the engine, with the
engine warning light on, because - obviously that was the fault. Am I the
only one here that thinks that's barmy?

When pressed, they admitted it was dumb, and then proceeded to offer me
another Explorer, for more money (a deposit of some $3500), with higher
payments (about $600 per month)....am I still barmy? If your Explorer is
BROKEN by the garage, surely they should bite the bullet? Seems I'm being
shafted. The promise of a replacement Range Rover has been withdrawn and I
am left with nothing.

I wish I was in the USA now..........

Neil



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 08:17:59 PDT
From: "Wayne Signs"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Lemon Laws?

That really stinks. What is "Barmy"?


>From: "Neil Brownlee"
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To:
>Subject: FTE Small - Lemon Laws?
>Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:10:46 +0100
>
>Over here in the UK there seems to be no lemon law, for example, my dealer
>asked me to take back my Explorer with an air leak in the engine, with the
>engine warning light on, because - obviously that was the fault. Am I the
>only one here that thinks that's barmy?
>
>When pressed, they admitted it was dumb, and then proceeded to offer me
>another Explorer, for more money (a deposit of some $3500), with higher
>payments (about $600 per month)....am I still barmy? If your Explorer is
>BROKEN by the garage, surely they should bite the bullet? Seems I'm being
>shafted. The promise of a replacement Range Rover has been withdrawn and I
>am left with nothing.
>
>I wish I was in the USA now..........
>
>Neil
>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:13:48 -0500
From: Mike Harms
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission

Not only the Attorney General, but also for Ford themselves. Often times it
is the dealer that is holding things up or causing problems and just simply
giving the area Ford rep a call with proper documentation can get results.
At the very least he can put pressure on the dealer and maybe get some
action there.

There is a mechanism at nearly all vehicle manufacturers to handle issues
that occur for customers outside of warranty and typically it's called a
"Policy Adjustment". This is when a issue occurs that in the minds of the
manufacturer and the customer should never have occurred, and yet did and
the manufacturer is willing to accept some of the responsibility. Policy
Adjustments rarely cover 100% of the cost, but often will pay for the parts
and sometimes the labor as well.

Things affecting policy decisions: Will assisting this customer benefit the
situation, or is it a lost cause already? Does this customer accept their
responsibility as vehicle owner in this case and in the past? Has the
customer done everything they could in good faith? And various other touchy
feeling things.
Granted, most of my experience with Policy Adjustments was as Warranty
Manager at a Semi-Truck leasing company which would purchase 200 trucks at a
time, so we had a little leverage. But this mechanism is in place for
everyone if the area rep feels it applies. The bummer is when he doesn't
feel it applies.

>Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:18:55 PDT
>From: "Wayne Signs"
>Subject: RE: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission

>This is very true. In most states, the lemon law gives the Dealer 4 tries
>to fix a particular problem.
>I have a friend that dealt with this and he has told me in the past to be
>sure and get the dealer to write down EXACTLY what was written on the work
>order before.
>This way if it does go to the Attorney General, you have hard evidence that

>the vehicle was taken in for the exact same problem every time.
...
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:24:30 -0500
From: Mike Harms
Subject: RE: FTE Small - re: 4 cyl in 4x4

Any 4x4 that has a 4x4 system in good operating condition is fairly
expensive up here in MN no matter how old it is. I've seen 20 year old
total pieces of junk full size pickups that have good 4x4 components going
for $1800.

If all you want is 4x4 and a truck to drive around town then the 4cyl is
o.k. But if you actually plan to haul something once and a while, or tow
something, get the V6. A used V6 4x4 can be had for a reasonable price.
The 4Cylinder is woefully underpowered for moving loads. You can get it
done, but you better plan on sitting in the slow lane.

The difference in Fuel Economy is negligible as it's the 4x4 components that
even it out. The 4cylinder has to work a little harder than the V6 which
tends to even out the economy.

I guess it does depend on the V6 as well. My 2.9 get's 22-28mpg and pulls
well with the 5sp (and a bed cover, without the cover 15-20). I can't
imagine a 4cyl getting much over 28mpg pulling this much weight with the
equivalent gears.

>Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:03:40 -0400
>From: Dwight Varnes
>Subject: FTE Small - re: 4 cyl in 4x4

>Someone wrote:
>> You cannot get a current ranger 4 cylinder 4x4...4 wheel drive steps up
to
>> the 6

>Current, yes. I'm talking historically. I've seen these advertised on
>the used market, not sure what years you could do this though. I, unlike
>the rest of you rich Eddie Bauer types, can't afford a new truck :>)
...
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 13:56:07 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission

At 12:13 PM 10/1/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Things affecting policy decisions: Will assisting this customer benefit the
>situation, or is it a lost cause already? Does this customer accept their
>responsibility as vehicle owner in this case and in the past? Has the
>customer done everything they could in good faith? And various other touchy
>feeling things.
>Granted, most of my experience with Policy Adjustments was as Warranty
>Manager at a Semi-Truck leasing company which would purchase 200 trucks at a
>time, so we had a little leverage. But this mechanism is in place for
>everyone if the area rep feels it applies. The bummer is when he doesn't
>feel it applies.

My problem is they will not contact the zone rep, nor will they give me the
rep's phone number or name. If they only paid for parts... Whoopee...
$50.00 Labor is $250.00! I'll buy the part!
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 21:49:49 -0400
From: "Jesse A. Edwards"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford Ranger Auto Transmission

Hi David -

Try the following sites - they might be able to help you with your problem.

Good luck.

Jesse Edwards
Phubby bellsouth.net
Asheville, NC

************************************************************

Subject: Re: Technical Service Bulletin
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:42:51 GMT
From: bob_ford my-dejanews.com
Organization: Deja News - The Leader in Internet
Discussion
Newsgroups: alt.autos.ford
References: 1

You can get a summary from 1) From NHTSA
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm after searching on
Make, Model, and Year. 2) From a friendly (and helpful) Ford Dealer 3) From Helms
at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.helminc.com/helm/SEARCH2RESULT.ASP?make=FCT&mscsid=1X83HJJ91TS12LT
A00 G7BDXQ9XD2FEJB they have Brake Noise TSB for $6 to shipping. Bob

In article ,
Juan Davagnino wrote:
> Does anybody knows how can I find this TBS?
>
> "97-17-6 AUG 97 Preventing Brake Vibration Service Tip"
>
> Thanks
>
>

- -----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.dejanews.com/Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own



David Cooley wrote:

> At 12:13 PM 10/1/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >Things affecting policy decisions: Will assisting this customer benefit the
> >situation, or is it a lost cause already? Does this customer accept their
> >responsibility as vehicle owner in this case and in the past? Has the
> >customer done everything they could in good faith? And various other touchy
> >feeling things.
> >Granted, most of my experience with Policy Adjustments was as Warranty
> >Manager at a Semi-Truck leasing company which would purchase 200 trucks at a
> >time, so we had a little leverage. But this mechanism is in place for
> >everyone if the area rep feels it applies. The bummer is when he doesn't
> >feel it applies.
>
> My problem is they will not contact the zone rep, nor will they give me the
> rep's phone number or name. If they only paid for parts... Whoopee...
> $50.00 Labor is $250.00! I'll buy the part!
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: 1 Oct 99 23:49:20 EDT
From: Tim Turner
Subject: Re: [Re: FTE Small - Lemon Laws?]

"Wayne Signs" wrote:
> That really stinks. What is "Barmy"?

Along the lines of stupid, crazy, ignorant, dumb & so forth.

I dont mean HE is, as stated "am I barmy to think" etc. means "am I stupi=
d to
think my vehicle could be fixed".

Tim


____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://webm=....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.