From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #248
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Saturday, September 25 1999 Volume 03 : Number 248



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - Knocking Noise
FTE Small - Occasional smoker
Re: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
Re: FTE Small - Occasional smoker
Re: FTE Small - Occasional smoker
RE: FTE Small - Occasional smoker
FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - 99 Range 5 spd AT
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
Re: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
RE: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger
Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger
RE: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger
Re: FTE Small - Front Driveshaft Replacement
Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger
FTE Small - Re: 302 loud ticking noise
RE: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
RE: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
RE: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
Re: FTE Small - Occasional smoker

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:08:21 EDT
From: "Joe Gill"
Subject: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

I get a knocking noise in my 94 Explorer when ever I use high octane gas.
What could that be due to?? I have a distributorless ignition. I get the
noise whenver I burn 87 octane also. I'm running 89 right now and have no
knocks... Can you all explain this??


Happy Wheelin,

Joe
ExplorerDude hotmail.com


>From: ROlson1039 aol.com
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: Re: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:11:44 EDT
>
>if its a lifter you will hear more of a tick than a knock. Knocks are
>usually
>due to bad bearings or insufficient oil to them. Now if youre saying this
>is
>a knock as opposed to a tick, and it goes away after warm up it could be
>that
>the motor oil you are using is too thick and until the truck gets hot and
>the oil thins out there is insufficient oil and oil pressure to the
>bearings
>( I had this myself with an old Jeep Cherokee years ago) If that solution
>doesnt pan out you might be looking at a bad oil pump. You might also want
>to
>put an oil pressure guage on the motor and watch your pressures in the
>mornings as opposed to the rest of the day.
>
>Bob
>ROlson1039 aol.com
>99 Ranger 2WD
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:43:20 -0400
From: Stephen Donohue
Subject: FTE Small - Occasional smoker

My '93 2.3L Ranger, 65,000 miles, lays down a white smoke screen that a
WWII destroyer would envy. This only happens when moving away from a
stop after it has gone about 10 miles and is warm. I think it is valve
guides. Is there a way to check or comfirm this without taking the
engine apart? What is cheapest fix? STP judt seems to make the smoke
thicker.

Thanks,

sdonohue ix.netcom.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:49:07 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

At 10:08 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I get a knocking noise in my 94 Explorer when ever I use high octane gas.
>What could that be due to?? I have a distributorless ignition. I get the
>noise whenver I burn 87 octane also. I'm running 89 right now and have no
>knocks... Can you all explain this??

What you may have is not a knock, but an exhaust leak... they are
intermittent sometimes and it may seem to coincide with gas...
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:51:59 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Occasional smoker

At 10:43 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>My '93 2.3L Ranger, 65,000 miles, lays down a white smoke screen that a
>WWII destroyer would envy. This only happens when moving away from a
>stop after it has gone about 10 miles and is warm. I think it is valve
>guides. Is there a way to check or comfirm this without taking the
>engine apart? What is cheapest fix? STP judt seems to make the smoke
>thicker.


Well,
Hate to say it, but rings is the most likely culprit... Valve guides and
seals show up on the first start as a cloud, and not on acceleration, but
coasting deceleration when engine vacuum is highest, they smoke. Rings
smoke worst under acceleration, as cylinder pressures cause the rings to
flutter and allow oil to pump past them.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:52:48 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Occasional smoker

At 10:43 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>My '93 2.3L Ranger, 65,000 miles, lays down a white smoke screen that a
>WWII destroyer would envy. This only happens when moving away from a
>stop after it has gone about 10 miles and is warm. I think it is valve
>guides. Is there a way to check or comfirm this without taking the
>engine apart? What is cheapest fix? STP judt seems to make the smoke
>thicker.


Come to think of it, A white cloud is coolant... Head gasket. oil smoke is
blue.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:58:14 -0700
From: Ray Scheidnes
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Occasional smoker

I have no idea what the cause may be, but your comparison to the WWII
destroyer is hilarious! Thank God it's Friday!!

> ----------
> From: Stephen Donohue[SMTP:sdonohue ix.netcom.com]
> Reply To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 7:43 AM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Small - Occasional smoker
>
> My '93 2.3L Ranger, 65,000 miles, lays down a white smoke screen that a
> WWII destroyer would envy. This only happens when moving away from a
> stop after it has gone about 10 miles and is warm. I think it is valve
> guides. Is there a way to check or comfirm this without taking the
> engine apart? What is cheapest fix? STP judt seems to make the smoke
> thicker.
>
> Thanks,
>
> sdonohue ix.netcom.com
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:20:40 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

Ford has a serious problem... Seems all explorers since 95 with the
electronic air conditioning may just stop properly controlling temperature
due to the wrong blend air door actuator being installed at the
factory. My 97 Explorer has this problem, and ford is REFUSING to do
anything about it, even though the TSB (number 98-23-20) specifically
states "... This may be caused by the incorrect blend air door actuator
being installed during the manufacturing process.".
It gives a list of proper part numbers, and the one in my 97 does not match
any of them. Ford is refusing to do anything about it, and my call to the
FTC, and the subsequent fax of the TSB to the FTC has prompted them to file
formal fraud charges agai nst ford motor company. Seems the admission of
installing the improper/defective part during manufacture violates the
implied warranty of merchantability, the written warranty of
merchantability, and the Magnusson-Moss warranty act.
The FTC gave me the name of an attorney in California that takes on class
action lawsuits, and I will be contacting him later today. If anyone here
has the same problem (symptom is the A/C starts to get the truck down to
temp, then the fan slows like normal, then suddenly 200 degree air comes
from the vents... On vent or floor, the air is always like the heater is
on full hot... it can also go the other extreme... no heat at all if the
door is stuck in the A/C position.) Please let me know, as the more people
we have, the better.
Thanks,
Dave

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:53:49 -0400
From: "Kenneth J. Nagy"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

I have a '96 XLT (~66K miles) and have never had that particular problem.
The only strange thing I have noticed is that when the A/C selector in in
the Max position (turned all the way left) you can't vary the temperature,
it always blows full cold. Maybe this is the way this position is
*supposed* to operate. The only other complaint I have with the engineering
of the truck is there is no center shoulder belt in the middle of the rear
seat. I don't think Expeditions have this either.

Ken


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:37:20 -0400
From: "william.hickey"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - 99 Range 5 spd AT

Yes ... I agree with you .... after I posted this question, I took my wife's
Escort out and observed that it behaves the same way as my Ranger..... Thanks
for your reply ....... Bill
r




owner-small-list on 09/20/99 05:31:28 PM
Please respond to small-list
To: small-list
cc:
Subject: Re: FTE Small - 99 Range 5 spd AT

At 03:53 PM 9/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a 99 Ranger SC 4x4 with the Off-road package. It has the new 5 speed
>automatic transmission. I have noticed that when I'm cruising in 5th gear
>(OD)
>and take my foot off the pedal, it appears to freewheel ( I think) but when I
>press on the gas again it ALWAYS drops down to 4th and THEN shifts back to
>5th. In my mind, this would cause an excessive amount of wear on it I don't
>remember any passenger cars that I have driven with 4 spd. ATs doing this. Is
>this typical of this transmission ? ...... Thanks,


Actually it's not dropping down a gear, it's just the torque converter
clutch unlocking then locking again

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:11:45 -0400
From: "william.hickey"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

I have a 1999 Ranger SC 4x4 and have noticed that the vent or floor always
blows warm air .... unless I put it in MAX A/C run it till it blows cold air
then switrch it to vent or floor.... seems fine then .......... been meaning to
take it back to the dealer for their evaluation............ Are you telling me
that they won't fix it ? ..... It's still under warranty ............. Bill





owner-small-list on 09/24/99 11:34:09 AM
Please respond to small-list
To: small-list
cc:
Subject: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

Ford has a serious problem... Seems all explorers since 95 with the
electronic air conditioning may just stop properly controlling temperature
due to the wrong blend air door actuator being installed at the
factory. My 97 Explorer has this problem, and ford is REFUSING to do
anything about it, even though the TSB (number 98-23-20) specifically
states "... This may be caused by the incorrect blend air door actuator
being installed during the manufacturing process.".
It gives a list of proper part numbers, and the one in my 97 does not match
any of them. Ford is refusing to do anything about it, and my call to the
FTC, and the subsequent fax of the TSB to the FTC has prompted them to file
formal fraud charges agai nst ford motor company. Seems the admission of
installing the improper/defective part during manufacture violates the
implied warranty of merchantability, the written warranty of
merchantability, and the Magnusson-Moss warranty act.
The FTC gave me the name of an attorney in California that takes on class
action lawsuits, and I will be contacting him later today. If anyone here
has the same problem (symptom is the A/C starts to get the truck down to
temp, then the fan slows like normal, then suddenly 200 degree air comes
from the vents... On vent or floor, the air is always like the heater is
on full hot... it can also go the other extreme... no heat at all if the
door is stuck in the A/C position.) Please let me know, as the more people
we have, the better.
Thanks,
Dave

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:25:08 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

At 04:11 PM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a 1999 Ranger SC 4x4 and have noticed that the vent or floor always
>blows warm air .... unless I put it in MAX A/C run it till it blows cold air
>then switrch it to vent or floor.... seems fine then .......... been
>meaning to
>take it back to the dealer for their evaluation............ Are you
>telling me
>that they won't fix it ? ..... It's still under warranty ............. Bill


If it's under warranty they'll fix it, but because mine is out of warranty
by 4000 miles, even though the cause is that the factory installed the
wrong part when it was built, they won't fix it... that's why the FTC is
filing charges against Ford.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:13:49 EDT
From: "Joe Gill"
Subject: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

I don't know... the noise I seem to be getting is coming from underneath the
hood... I did add custom exahust but it's all welded... Unless I have an
exahust leak from under the hood I don't think that's my problem...


>From: David Cooley
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: Re: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:49:07 -0400
>
>At 10:08 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>>I get a knocking noise in my 94 Explorer when ever I use high octane gas.
>>What could that be due to?? I have a distributorless ignition. I get the
>>noise whenver I burn 87 octane also. I'm running 89 right now and have no
>>knocks... Can you all explain this??
>
>What you may have is not a knock, but an exhaust leak... they are
>intermittent sometimes and it may seem to coincide with gas...
>===========================================================
>David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
>Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
>We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
>===========================================================
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:44:03 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

At 04:13 PM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't know... the noise I seem to be getting is coming from underneath
>the hood... I did add custom exahust but it's all welded... Unless I
>have an exahust leak from under the hood I don't think that's my problem...


Exhaust manifolds and EGR tubes LOVE to split and leak on the ford V6 and V8's.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:53:28 -0700
From: Ray Scheidnes
Subject: RE: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

...but that would be more of a hissing sound as opposed to a knocking noise,
wouldn't it??

> ----------
> From: David Cooley[SMTP:n5xmt bellsouth.net]
> Reply To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 1:44 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
>
> At 04:13 PM 9/24/1999 -0400, you wrote:
> >I don't know... the noise I seem to be getting is coming from underneath
> >the hood... I did add custom exahust but it's all welded... Unless I
> >have an exahust leak from under the hood I don't think that's my
> problem...
>
>
> Exhaust manifolds and EGR tubes LOVE to split and leak on the ford V6 and
> V8's.
>
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:54:17 PDT
From: "Joey Ramsey"
Subject: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger

Hey,
Well no matter what I do I cant seem to get it to start, Ive tried
retiming it about 8 times now. Ive timed it exactly as its supposed to be
(cam sprocket pointing to center of its index, crank turned to tdc, and the
rotor pointing to #1 tower.), and it doesnt seem to work, even thought I
have gas, spark, and it cranks great. If anyone has had this problem, or a
similar one, would you please let me know what you did. I would also like
any suggestions any of you may have.
-Thanks
Joe.
(2.3 liter engine)

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:18:39 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger

At 01:54 PM 9/24/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey,
> Well no matter what I do I cant seem to get it to start, Ive tried
> retiming it about 8 times now. Ive timed it exactly as its supposed to be
> (cam sprocket pointing to center of its index, crank turned to tdc, and
> the rotor pointing to #1 tower.), and it doesnt seem to work, even
> thought I have gas, spark, and it cranks great. If anyone has had this
> problem, or a similar one, would you please let me know what you did. I
> would also like any suggestions any of you may have.


Joe,
Where did you check the spark? at the coil wire or at each plug?
I've seen rotors that carbon tracked through the middle so spark get's from
the coil to the dist, then straight to the distributor shaft to
ground. Also, check the plugs... If they got wet before the thing was
timed right, they may not be firing now... Might want to leave the plugs
out over night if they are wet so the cyl's can dry out as well.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:20:15 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: RE: ReRe: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

At 01:53 PM 9/24/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>...but that would be more of a hissing sound as opposed to a knocking noise,
>wouldn't it??


Nope.. My 97 5.0 sounds like it has a rod knock until it's warm, but a
piece of hose as a stethescope pointed me right to the split in the EGR
tube... I tested my theory by wrapping it with duct tape while it was cold
and starting it and it was quiet until the tape started melting off.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:39:15 PDT
From: "Joey Ramsey"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger

Hey,
Brand new cap, rotor, and plugs. Getting spark through every wire.
-Thanks,
Joe


>From: David Cooley
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:18:39 -0400
>
>At 01:54 PM 9/24/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>>Hey,
>> Well no matter what I do I cant seem to get it to start, Ive tried
>>retiming it about 8 times now. Ive timed it exactly as its supposed to be
>>(cam sprocket pointing to center of its index, crank turned to tdc, and
>>the rotor pointing to #1 tower.), and it doesnt seem to work, even
>>thought I have gas, spark, and it cranks great. If anyone has had this
>>problem, or a similar one, would you please let me know what you did. I
>>would also like any suggestions any of you may have.
>
>
>Joe,
>Where did you check the spark? at the coil wire or at each plug?
>I've seen rotors that carbon tracked through the middle so spark get's from
>the coil to the dist, then straight to the distributor shaft to
>ground. Also, check the plugs... If they got wet before the thing was
>timed right, they may not be firing now... Might want to leave the plugs
>out over night if they are wet so the cyl's can dry out as well.
>
>===========================================================
>David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
>Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
>We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
>===========================================================
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:51:52 EDT
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Front Driveshaft Replacement

you can definately do it alone its a very easy job
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:57:35 EDT
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Problems timing an '83 ford ranger

there has got to be one of the settings off.. ive had this problem myself
and let the vehicle sit overnoght and started with a fresh head and its
worked out.. these things get fustrating but youre out of allignment
Bob
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:12:33 -0700
From: don neomagic.com (Donald Paauw)
Subject: FTE Small - Re: 302 loud ticking noise

Thanks for your replies so far. One thing I forgot to mention is that
this is a 302 HO from a Mustang and has Kaufmann shorty headers.
Using the stethescope, the noise is definitely coming from the rear
passenger cylinder area (#8?). Unfortunately, at idle it's
barely audible. The only way I can get at this area is through the wheel
well and can't really position the tube very well. I don't think it's the
air pump tube because there's no noise from the rear of the engine. I
tried feeling around the header tube to see if I could feel any exhaust
leaking and didn't feel anything, although I couldn't get my hand right up
to where the tube meets the engine & at idle I'm not sure there would be
enough pressure to feel anything. I'm thinking of having my wife put it
in gear, stand on the brake & give it little gas. I think I'll put it up
against the house too, just to be safe. Also, I haven't tried the steel
rod on the stethescope to check for mechanically transmitted noise. Am
I correct in thinking that a valve would make more noise than a leak if I
put the rod on the head?

I've been driving the truck this way and it hasn't gotten any worse.
Right now, it's always faintly present at idle, very prominent under
load at low rpm's and not noticeable at high rpm's, although it could
just be smoothed out to a hiss at high rpm's.

- -- Don

>
> I wasn't sure which list to post this to, so I'm hitting three lists.
> If it starts looking familiar, I apologize.
>
> I've got a '90 Ranger with a '92 302 transplanted into it w/ AOD transmission.
> A few weeks ago I noticed a slight ticking noise that I thought was a lifter.
> It got louder when I shifted into drive with the brake on. During the first
> week the noise came & went and was louder under a load. At idle it is very
> faint. Now it has gotten worse and is sharper & louder than a lifter and I'm
> thinking it may be exhaust related. It's not always present when I start the
> truck but always shows up as the engine warms up. I poked around with a
> rubber hose on a stethescope and there's no noise inside the valve cover.
> The noise seems loudest at the passenger side rear of the engine. Unfortunately,
> the 302 is a tight fit and the A/C evaporator, the valve cover and the air
> intake all form an interference fit in this area so I can't really directly
> observe the engine there. The noise is audible over a very loud 3" Borla
> muffler, so I'd say it's significant.
> I've got a mechanical temp guage and the engine temp has never been over 220.
> So does anyone have any suggestions as to what the cause might be and any methods
> how I could narrow this down?
>
> Thanks,
> Don
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:43:24 -0400
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

Why don't you just buy the correct part and install it. Its got to be
cheaper and less painful then trying to sue Ford.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of David Cooley
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 11:21 AM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

Ford has a serious problem... Seems all explorers since 95 with the
electronic air conditioning may just stop properly controlling temperature
due to the wrong blend air door actuator being installed at the
factory. My 97 Explorer has this problem, and ford is REFUSING to do
anything about it, even though the TSB (number 98-23-20) specifically
states "... This may be caused by the incorrect blend air door actuator
being installed during the manufacturing process.".
It gives a list of proper part numbers, and the one in my 97 does not match
any of them. Ford is refusing to do anything about it, and my call to the
FTC, and the subsequent fax of the TSB to the FTC has prompted them to file
formal fraud charges agai nst ford motor company. Seems the admission of
installing the improper/defective part during manufacture violates the
implied warranty of merchantability, the written warranty of
merchantability, and the Magnusson-Moss warranty act.
The FTC gave me the name of an attorney in California that takes on class
action lawsuits, and I will be contacting him later today. If anyone here
has the same problem (symptom is the A/C starts to get the truck down to
temp, then the fan slows like normal, then suddenly 200 degree air comes
from the vents... On vent or floor, the air is always like the heater is
on full hot... it can also go the other extreme... no heat at all if the
door is stuck in the A/C position.) Please let me know, as the more people
we have, the better.
Thanks,
Dave

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:47:53 -0400
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

My 99 Ranger did this too, Ford had the wrong code in the computer. My
dealer had to reprogram the code in the computer. Also my friend told me a
trick that worked on his, unhook the battery over the night 12 hours, then
follow the instructions in your manual under changing the battery. YOU MUST
DO THIS!!!! The computer will relearn spark curves and fuel mixtures. Fixed
his.

Hope that helps.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Joe Gill
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 10:08 AM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - Knocking Noise

I get a knocking noise in my 94 Explorer when ever I use high octane gas.
What could that be due to?? I have a distributorless ignition. I get the
noise whenver I burn 87 octane also. I'm running 89 right now and have no
knocks... Can you all explain this??


Happy Wheelin,

Joe
ExplorerDude hotmail.com


>From: ROlson1039 aol.com
>Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>To: small-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: Re: FTE Small - Knocking Noise
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:11:44 EDT
>
>if its a lifter you will hear more of a tick than a knock. Knocks are
>usually
>due to bad bearings or insufficient oil to them. Now if youre saying this
>is
>a knock as opposed to a tick, and it goes away after warm up it could be
>that
>the motor oil you are using is too thick and until the truck gets hot and
>the oil thins out there is insufficient oil and oil pressure to the
>bearings
>( I had this myself with an old Jeep Cherokee years ago) If that solution
>doesnt pan out you might be looking at a bad oil pump. You might also want
>to
>put an oil pressure guage on the motor and watch your pressures in the
>mornings as opposed to the rest of the day.
>
>Bob
>ROlson1039 aol.com
>99 Ranger 2WD
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:00:04 -0700
From: "Alan Wilson"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

Some poeple like to bite the hand that feeds them...

Joe Merchak wrote:

> Why don't you just buy the correct part and install it. Its got to be
> cheaper and less painful then trying to sue Ford.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of David Cooley
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 11:21 AM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!
>
> Ford has a serious problem... Please let me know, as the more people
> we have, the better.
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:19:16 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

At 06:43 PM 9/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Why don't you just buy the correct part and install it. Its got to be
>cheaper and less painful then trying to sue Ford.

Why should I have to spend My hard earned money and time to replace a part
they admit to installing that is the wrong one?
Do you know what's entailed in replacing the Blend air door actuator on an
explorer?
The dash has to come out... dealer gets 3 hours. It is directly on top of
the AC/Heater box behind the dash and to get it out, you have to have 6"
minimum clearance above it. Dealer wants $350 to do it.
If the factory installed a piston with a hole in it would you buy a new one
and rebuild the motor yourself??? I think not!
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:27:36 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

At 04:00 PM 9/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Some poeple like to bite the hand that feeds them...


Maybe all of you enjoyed getting screwed, but I don't.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:37:25 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

At 04:00 PM 9/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Some poeple like to bite the hand that feeds them...


Ford and chrysler are the only 2 manufacturers that do not participate in
the BBB's arbitration program... Imagine that, the 2 with the worst
customer service record refuse to join an agency that helps the
customer... For anyone thinking of buying another ford, BEND OVER AND
GREASE IT UP!!!!
They'll shove it in deep!!!!!
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:15:02 EDT
From: Bakend aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

In a message dated 9/24/99 5:32:04 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
n5xmt bellsouth.net writes:

> Maybe all of you enjoyed getting screwed, but I don't.

Whoa there! Not all of us are against you in your battle. I, for one am glad
to see someone trying to keep them honest. Lord knows that if we all just fix
the problems that they create it will never end.
Dennis
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:34:26 -0700
From: "Michael D. Sheridan"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!

David A. Cooley wrote:

> Ford and chrysler are the only 2 manufacturers that do not participate in
> the BBB's arbitration program...

Hi David:

I'm not surprised but what about us Mazda B2500 owners? Ford
makes these trucks which are the same as Ranger. Do we get any
better deal with the BBB arbitration?

Michael
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 00:13:13 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford's got a serious problem!....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.