From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #212
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Thursday, August 19 1999 Volume 03 : Number 212



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - MAF Sensor
FTE Small - Tires
RE: FTE Small - Tires
FTE Small - BII Headers
Re: FTE Small - ADMIN: Language - re: Copy letter from Ford UK about my Explorer....
FTE Small - question
Re: FTE Small - BII Headers
FTE Small - 84 B2 wiring problem?
Re: FTE Small - Brake light switch
RE: FTE Small - BII Headers
Re: FTE Small - 84 B2 wiring problem?
FTE Small - Newbie seeking info
FTE Small - Pacesetter/TFX or Gibson cat back
Re: FTE Small - Tires
FTE Small - 99 Ranger Problems
Re: FTE Small - Pacesetter/TFX or Gibson cat back
Re: FTE Small - question
Re: FTE Small - question
RE: FTE Small - question
Re: FTE Small - 99 Ranger Problems
RE: FTE Small - Tires
RE: FTE Small - Newbie seeking info
RE: FTE Small - question

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:42:22 GMT
From: 88biixlt fncool.com
Subject: FTE Small - MAF Sensor

Is there a MAF sensor kit available for the 2.9L V6 in my 88 BII? If
so, how much would one cost?
Thanks!

JC

- ---------------------------------------------------------------
This Message was Powered by Xcel Communications
Sign up for your FREE EMAIL account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mailroom.com
Give your FAX machine an email address http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.faxroom.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:56:20 GMT
From: 88biixlt fncool.com
Subject: FTE Small - Tires

I'm planning on putting 30x9.5x15 tires on my BII. I've narrowed my
search down to 5 tires, and anyone's opinions on any of them would be
greatly appreciated.
The five are:
Dunlop Radial Rover RV ($73 ea)
Pirelli Scorpion A/T ($75)
Yokohama Geolander AT ($78)
Dunlop Radial Rover AT ($84)
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A ($85)
I've heard really good things about the BFGs, but I wanted to check
around to see if I could get anything comparable for less money.
Thanks!

JC
'88 BII XLT

- ---------------------------------------------------------------
This Message was Powered by Xcel Communications
Sign up for your FREE EMAIL account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mailroom.com
Give your FAX machine an email address http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.faxroom.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:10:10 -0500
From: "Anthony Rio"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Tires

The new Goodyear Wrangler MT's are suppose to be excellent. The older ones
were a thin sidewall, and would often split when air down for off-roading.
The new one's are stronger, and should be available in a month or so. I
know they weren't one of you choices, but...

Also, the BFG AT's are good tires, but the tread does not clean out mud very
well.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:53:58 +0100
From: "Jason Talbot"
Subject: FTE Small - BII Headers

Well, if you are looking for performance headers, then you only have 2
choices. If you have 2 wheel drive, then you can get a set from
Pacesetter. The fit may vary. They go for around $250. If you have a
4X4, then your only choice is a set from JBA. They are expensive.
Around $450. They have a lifetime warrenty, are great quality, and will
last a long time. No leaks, or cracking. Now, If you want just
replacement ones. That are OEM, and have no performace gains, and will
not last a while, then you can get a set from a junk yard. They will
run around $50 for a pair. You can then take them to a machine shop,
and have them reworked, and even painted. You might be able to find a
machine shop that will built you a set, or modify a set for use on your
truck. But, that's all you can do about headers. Just no one cares
about the older Ranger/Bronco II's. Good luck!




I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get headers for my '88
BII. Price is a huge concern, but so is performance...
Thanks!

JC
'88 BII XLT


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: papacat webtv.net
Subject: Re: FTE Small - ADMIN: Language - re: Copy letter from Ford UK about my Explorer....

Kin,

Some people say things in front of their mother that I would rather my
kids not be exposed to.

How about say to the "Judge" whe one is in court? Maybe, the paster,
when in church?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:18:42 -0400
From: karl b johns
Subject: FTE Small - question

I have a 1990 Ranger 4x4 longbed and would like to put a Meyer plow on
it. What I have found from Meyer is that they only have plows for
Bronco II and Rangers up to 1989. I asked them what was different on
the 1990 but they have no idea. They replied "Ford recommends no plow
for the 1990 and newer Rangers and we support the manufacturers
recommendation and therefore make no plows for these trucks."

I am curious what the diferences might be. Any information would be
appreciated.

Thank you ,

Karl
1990 Ranger 155,000, 2.9l


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:16:51 -0400
From: Christopher J Abele
Subject: Re: FTE Small - BII Headers

DO NOT GO WITH PACESETTER HEADERS!

With that said I will explain why. . . I have been viewing the postings
now for about a month because I have been debating selling my car and
buying an Explorer. For the time being I guess I'm going to keep my
little Geo Storm. For those of you who are not familiar with the car
itself do not let the GEO name fool you. . . these aren't your Metros or
Trackers, but an Izusu made vehicle made in conjunction with Lotus and
Chevrolet (the same engine as the Lotus Elan is in the Geo Storm). With
that said I can now state that I am a member of a GEO Storm club via the
net. EVERYONE that has ever put Pacesetter headers on from the site has
complained about two things. At first they complain about the rattling. .
. later they complain because the exhaust has rusted entirely through and
fallen off. Don't waste your money on the Pacesetters unless you only
want to have them for about a year.

Christopher J. Abele
CCRC Head Coach and Moderator
1562 Archwood Lane
Toledo, OH 43614
(419)382-8581

___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:29:27 -0400
From: Tom Kirkbride
Subject: FTE Small - 84 B2 wiring problem?

i found out something new today on my 84 B2. Right now the gas is about
1/4 full but the gauge drops to empty anyways. But, if i dont turn the
radio on before i start the truck i cant use it because the fuel low
light comes on my console. And the wipers wont work either. But, if i
turn the radio on before starting, the guage goes up to half and the
radio and wipers work even though there not a half tank. I dont
understand why it does this. any ideas?

Tom Kirkbride
___________________________________________________________________
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:00:55 EDT
From: Zman959095 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Brake light switch

Hey Rob, check the wire connections in the plug, this happened to my 93
Ranger and alls it was, was a broken wire at the connector. Also that switch
doesn't cost a whole lot of money I paid I think 6 or 7bucks for it, doesn't
hurt to replace it.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:10:14 -0700
From: Ray Scheidnes
Subject: RE: FTE Small - BII Headers

I would also add that JBA, despite having quality headers, has lousy
service. I went directly to their shop to have their headers and exhaust
installed. I could sense that they viewed me as more of a nuissance than
anything else... yeah, me, with my Ranger. They don't seem to respect
customers unless the customer drives a super hopped-up Mustang or Cobra. I
got jerked around by them enough that I will never go back to them nor will
I refer any of my friends to them. Sure, buy the headers, but install them
somewhere else.

> ----------
> From: Christopher J Abele[SMTP:cchscrewcoach juno.com]
> Reply To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 1:16 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Cc: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE Small - BII Headers
>
> DO NOT GO WITH PACESETTER HEADERS!
>
> With that said I will explain why. . . I have been viewing the postings
> now for about a month because I have been debating selling my car and
> buying an Explorer. For the time being I guess I'm going to keep my
> little Geo Storm. For those of you who are not familiar with the car
> itself do not let the GEO name fool you. . . these aren't your Metros or
> Trackers, but an Izusu made vehicle made in conjunction with Lotus and
> Chevrolet (the same engine as the Lotus Elan is in the Geo Storm). With
> that said I can now state that I am a member of a GEO Storm club via the
> net. EVERYONE that has ever put Pacesetter headers on from the site has
> complained about two things. At first they complain about the rattling. .
> . later they complain because the exhaust has rusted entirely through and
> fallen off. Don't waste your money on the Pacesetters unless you only
> want to have them for about a year.
>
> Christopher J. Abele
> CCRC Head Coach and Moderator
> 1562 Archwood Lane
> Toledo, OH 43614
> (419)382-8581
>
> ___________________________________________________________________
> Get the Internet just the way you want it.
> Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
> Try Juno Web: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:15:03 EDT
From: ROlson1039 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - 84 B2 wiring problem?

now im no expert on electricity here but that sounds like a bad ground
soewhere back there.. ive seen all kinds of crazy stuff happen if the grounds
arent right
Bob
ROlson1039 aol.com
89 F250 2WD
99 Ranger 2WD
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:56:30 -0400
From: Dwight Varnes
Subject: FTE Small - Newbie seeking info

Hello gang, I'm fresh to this forum but participate in several others
(see my bizarre list of cars). I'm gearing up to purchase a newer,
better truck as soon as some sucker comes along and relieves me of my
Nissan.
Anyway, the Ranger is one of the few I consider worthy as a replacement,
and am seeking some basic info or point to the right direction/website.

1) HP & torque figures for the various engines
2) What to absolutely stay away from or expect as negatives
3) What year did they begin to use fuel injection?
4) Fuel mileage I can expect for any of the engine combos

The truck I'll be seeking is a stick, 2wd with a/c. I'm incredibly
cheap, so the spending limit is probably $3500. Mileage won't matter as
everything except the POS Nissan has over 100k on it. I like high
mileage vehicles, in fact, as they can be bought for a song and rarely
have serious troubles that can't be detected right away. Used for daily
commuting and occasional hauling. I'm aware the 2.8 isn't so swift so am
leaning towards a 4 banger unless you all scare me away from them.

These Q's have probably been asked before, so if there is a FAQ
somewhere you can send me I won't bore you all needlessly. TIA!
- --
"Your SUV is neither sporty nor utilitarian."

Dwight Varnes, insurance appraiser and car nut
1970 124 Spider (restored, mostly)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (bigger engine STILL at machine shop)
1989 VW Jetta GLI 16v (the wife's ride, tired but loyal)
1984 Nissan 4x4 Pickup (rust never sleeps, its just hidden by new paint)
1965 Buick Skylark conv. (unrestored, for sale)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:50:37 -0400
From: "Anthony Rifici"
Subject: FTE Small - Pacesetter/TFX or Gibson cat back

I have been looking into cat-back exhaust systems for my '94 Ranger 4.0L
for some time now, I think that I have narrowed it down to Gibson or
Pacesetter/TFX.
Anybody know anything about these products? Both are mandrel bent and
aluminized. The Pacesetter is split-rear exit, but costs more. The Gibson
is single exit.
I am looking for a low rumble, but I don't want it to resonate in the
cab as I do alot of freeway driving. I would prefer it not to be a whole
lot louder than stock. The sound clip on Gibson's home page
(www.gibsonperformance.com), is exactly what I am looking for (I bet it
comes from a split-rear exit V8 even though there is an artists rendition of
a Ranger displayed).
I have looked into Flowmaster, Dynomax, Rhino, and others. For one
reason or another, their kits won't work for me. Also, I am way to picky to
have a custom job done, don't have the time either.

Thanks,
Tony
'94 Ranger Supercab, 4.0L, 5-Speed

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:42:17 -0400
From: "Eric Davis"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Tires

Where are you getting these prices.

Eric Davis
99 4x4 EB Expedition
99 4x4 F-150 Lariat
98 4x4 Ranger,
Custom Exhaust with Edlebrock muffler, Edlebrock shocks, Superchip, K&N.
- -----Original Message-----
From: 88biixlt fncool.com
To: offroad-list ford-trucks.com ;
small-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 2:52 PM
Subject: FTE Small - Tires


>I'm planning on putting 30x9.5x15 tires on my BII. I've narrowed my
>search down to 5 tires, and anyone's opinions on any of them would be
>greatly appreciated.
>The five are:
>Dunlop Radial Rover RV ($73 ea)
>Pirelli Scorpion A/T ($75)
>Yokohama Geolander AT ($78)
>Dunlop Radial Rover AT ($84)
>BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A ($85)
>I've heard really good things about the BFGs, but I wanted to check
>around to see if I could get anything comparable for less money.
>Thanks!
>
>JC
>'88 BII XLT
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------
>This Message was Powered by Xcel Communications
>Sign up for your FREE EMAIL account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mailroom.com
>Give your FAX machine an email address http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.faxroom.com
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:06:03 -0400
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: FTE Small - 99 Ranger Problems

As many of you know I have had two on going problems with my 99 Ranger XLT
4X4 3.0L auto. One was I had a spark knock if I used any fuel below 93
octane. The second was a problem that a lot of you guys are having and that
is the drive train would clunk when switching from forward to reverse or
when you accelerate. Well I like to report another dealer has figured out
both problems. The spark knock was caused by the computer being programmed
wrong at the factory. It took sever days and the manufacture dialed into
the trucks computer to figure this one out. The dealer has to reprogram the
computer with the correct spark curves and thresholds. The second is a
flange that was manufactured to thin that is in the transfer case. There is
no TSBs on this nor is it something all dealers know about. Once I get the
truck back (the flange is on backorder) I will post the part number and any
other info about this. I did ride in the mechanics truck after he did the
switch and the cluck does go away.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:29:05 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Pacesetter/TFX or Gibson cat back

Try http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.magnaflow.com/
They have a LOT of systems and are reasonable... I just ordered a system
for my 97 V8 EB Explorer, 2 inlet single outlet muffler (2.5" in's, 3" out)
and the muffler, complete with flange to bolt to the stock cat flange, and
hangers in place... $135.00 and the local Muffler shop here is making a
single 3" tailpipe for $75.00 installed.
The muffler is a straight through design like the Walker Dynomax UltraFlow,
so it has virtually zero backpressure.
I've heard them on Mustangs and other V8 cars, so I know they sound good
and also know they don't "Drone" on the highway like Flowmasters and other
cheap brands of turbo mufflers.

At 07:50 PM 8/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
> I have been looking into cat-back exhaust systems for my '94 Ranger 4.0L
>for some time now, I think that I have narrowed it down to Gibson or
>Pacesetter/TFX.
> Anybody know anything about these products? Both are mandrel bent and
>aluminized. The Pacesetter is split-rear exit, but costs more. The Gibson
>is single exit.
> I am looking for a low rumble, but I don't want it to resonate in the
>cab as I do alot of freeway driving. I would prefer it not to be a whole
>lot louder than stock. The sound clip on Gibson's home page
>(www.gibsonperformance.com), is exactly what I am looking for (I bet it
>comes from a split-rear exit V8 even though there is an artists rendition of
>a Ranger displayed).
> I have looked into Flowmaster, Dynomax, Rhino, and others. For one
>reason or another, their kits won't work for me. Also, I am way to picky to
>have a custom job done, don't have the time either.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
> '94 Ranger Supercab, 4.0L, 5-Speed
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:48:46 -0400
From: Mason Phillips
Subject: Re: FTE Small - question

The Rangers have airbags and with the plows they can cause the airbags to
let loose.

Mason Phillips





karl b johns wrote:

> I have a 1990 Ranger 4x4 longbed and would like to put a Meyer plow on
> it. What I have found from Meyer is that they only have plows for
> Bronco II and Rangers up to 1989. I asked them what was different on
> the 1990 but they have no idea. They replied "Ford recommends no plow
> for the 1990 and newer Rangers

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:48:17 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - question

At 08:48 PM 8/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
>The Rangers have airbags and with the plows they can cause the airbags to
>let loose.


Which can kill you if it's deployed for no apparent reason.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:50:31 -0700
From: Robert Gilkey
Subject: RE: FTE Small - question

>The Rangers have airbags and with the plows they can cause the airbags to
>let loose.

I was under the impression that airbags weren't installed until after '94.
My 94 Ranger doesn't have them.


- -Robert Gilkey
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:44:47 -0400
From: "Jesse A. Edwards"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - 99 Ranger Problems

. . . thanks! Keep us posted on the part number and any other info about that.



Joe Merchak wrote:

> As many of you know I have had two on going problems with my 99 Ranger XLT
> 4X4 3.0L auto. One was I had a spark knock if I used any fuel below 93
> octane. The second was a problem that a lot of you guys are having and that
> is the drive train would clunk when switching from forward to reverse or
> when you accelerate. Well I like to report another dealer has figured out
> both problems. The spark knock was caused by the computer being programmed
> wrong at the factory. It took sever days and the manufacture dialed into
> the trucks computer to figure this one out. The dealer has to reprogram the
> computer with the correct spark curves and thresholds. The second is a
> flange that was manufactured to thin that is in the transfer case. There is
> no TSBs on this nor is it something all dealers know about. Once I get the
> truck back (the flange is on backorder) I will post the part number and any
> other info about this. I did ride in the mechanics truck after he did the
> switch and the cluck does go away.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:59:56 -0400
From: "J Cope"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Tires

www.tirerack.com
I didn't include price of shipping, or the price to have them put on rims
after you get them...

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Eric Davis
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 6:42 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Tires


Where are you getting these prices.

Eric Davis
99 4x4 EB Expedition
99 4x4 F-150 Lariat
98 4x4 Ranger,
Custom Exhaust with Edlebrock muffler, Edlebrock shocks, Superchip, K&N.
- -----Original Message-----
From: 88biixlt fncool.com
To: offroad-list ford-trucks.com ;
small-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 2:52 PM
Subject: FTE Small - Tires


>I'm planning on putting 30x9.5x15 tires on my BII. I've narrowed my
>search down to 5 tires, and anyone's opinions on any of them would be
>greatly appreciated.
>The five are:
>Dunlop Radial Rover RV ($73 ea)
>Pirelli Scorpion A/T ($75)
>Yokohama Geolander AT ($78)
>Dunlop Radial Rover AT ($84)
>BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A ($85)
>I've heard really good things about the BFGs, but I wanted to check
>around to see if I could get anything comparable for less money.
>Thanks!
>
>JC
>'88 BII XLT
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------
>This Message was Powered by Xcel Communications
>Sign up for your FREE EMAIL account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mailroom.com
>Give your FAX machine an email address http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.faxroom.com
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

________________________________________________________
NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you?
Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:31:40 -0700
From: Ron Richardson
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Newbie seeking info

If you have big feet watch the lack of space to operate the clutch due to a
foot operated parking brake.


- -----Original Message-----
From: Dwight Varnes [mailto:mxbreed lancnews.infi.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 3:57 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - Newbie seeking info


Hello gang, I'm fresh to this forum but participate in several others
(see my bizarre list of cars). I'm gearing up to purchase a newer,
better truck as soon as some sucker comes along and relieves me of my
Nissan.
Anyway, the Ranger is one of the few I consider worthy as a replacement,
and am seeking some basic info or point to the right direction/website.

1) HP & torque figures for the various engines
2) What to absolutely stay away from or expect as negatives
3) What year did they begin to use fuel injection?
4) Fuel mileage I can expect for any of the engine combos

The truck I'll be seeking is a stick, 2wd with a/c. I'm incredibly
cheap, so the spending limit is probably $3500. Mileage won't matter as
everything except the POS Nissan has over 100k on it. I like high
mileage vehicles, in fact, as they can be bought for a song and rarely
have serious troubles that can't be detected right away. Used for daily
commuting and occasional hauling. I'm aware the 2.8 isn't so swift so am
leaning towards a 4 banger unless you all scare me away from them.

These Q's have probably been asked before, so if there is a FAQ
somewhere you can send me I won't bore you all needlessly. TIA!
- --
"Your SUV is neither sporty nor utilitarian."

Dwight Varnes, insurance appraiser and car nut
1970 124 Spider (restored, mostly)
1986 Audi Coupe GT (bigger engine STILL at machine shop)
1989 VW Jetta GLI 16v (the wife's ride, tired but loyal)
1984 Nissan 4x4 Pickup (rust never sleeps, its just hidden by new paint)
1965 Buick Skylark conv. (unrestored, for sale)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:42:54 -0700
From: Ron Richardson
Subject: RE: FTE Small - question

I operated a 6' Meyer plow on a 1966 Land Rover LWB Series 2A.
I eventually sold it and bought a 97 Ranger SC 4x4. Now I hire plow
services.

I wouldn't put a plow on a Ranger because you still want it to be stable at
110 km/hr. Plows put enormous stress on the chassis and misalignments are
inevitable unless you have a 3/4 ton truck or better. My poor old Land Rover
was a valiant servant, but it only had to stay in the neighbourhood.


- -----Original Message-----
From: karl b johns [mailto:johnsk1 ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.