From: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com (small-list-digest)
To: small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list-digest V3 #174
Reply-To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-small-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


small-list-digest Tuesday, July 13 1999 Volume 03 : Number 174



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - Re: 01 Explorer
Re: FTE Small - Re: 01 Explorer
Re: FTE Small - Answers to Ranger questions
FTE Small - Ford van site (& Diesels)?
Re: FTE Small - Transmission
FTE Small - brake warning lights
Re: FTE Small - brake warning lights
RE: FTE Small - brake warning lights
FTE Small - Parts sources
RE: FTE Small - Parts sources
FTE Small - Check Engine Light: Code Reader
RE: FTE Small - Intake Upgrade
Re: FTE Small - Ford van site (& Diesels)?

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 05:49:06 EDT
From: BFunk33 aol.com
Subject: FTE Small - Re: 01 Explorer

We have a '92 explorer, and don't have problems 1 or 2, but did have 3.
I just went to Auto Zone, asked the guy behind the counter for some stuff to
glue that same gasket back on, he sold it to me, I applied it, and it still
holds after two years. it was an easy fix; just follow the directions, and it
worked first time.
Bill

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:


Subject: FTE Small - RE: 91 Explorer

I just picked up a California 91 Explorer with 40K (actual). Beautiful
shape.

It has three problems:

1) No fuel indication. Previous owner said they were told it was the
sending unit. Previous posts on the list state this is a common problem.
Should I pick up a sender/pump at a junk yard or buy new?

2) Door pulls on driver front & rear doors. I have been told this also a
common problem. Is there some place to obtain replacements?

3) Rear door gasket is separating. Can I use rubber glue and fix or do I
need to replace? Can I get an inexpensive replacement?
>>
=====================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 07:53:43 EDT
From: Rmisker aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Re: 01 Explorer

On your problem 1 I would go with buying a new sender. They have them now
with both the sender and the pump together in one unit so that it is easier
to replace.

Rob
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 07:22:17 -0700
From: Adam McLaughlin
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Answers to Ranger questions

Huh,

My experience with the 2.9 is completely different.

My little 1988 B2 has 163k+ miles on it as of this morning. It leaks no oil,
and burns no oil, and this is Valvoline Durablend 10W-40. Heck, it doesn't
leak any fluid anywhere, ever.

I use it for everything from commuting, to off road driving. It is the most
reliable machine known to man! It handles well, even wih my warn 8000i and
Hi-Lift bolted on the front bumper, as well as the 3" James Duff lift. I can
chirp the tires just by punching the gas below third gear on a dry city
street, foot completely off of the clutch.

I get 17 MPG in the city, and 20 MPG on the hwy. Winter or summer, it's all
the same. The temperature guage reads always between the A and the M in
normal. Winter or summer, it's all the same.

What the heck did you guys do to yours??

Adam

Troy Reifsnider wrote:

> I have some answers to ranger/b2 questions posted earlier
>
> First the gentleman with the rear seal:
>
> My 2.9 was covered in oil all over the tranny and block sides. It
> turned out to be just valve cover gaskets. The oil runs down the side
> and back of the engine. 2.9 valve covers NEVER stop leaking (they just
> slow down)
>
> Next the guy with the cold running B2 (I believe thats what it was,
> either way a 2.9)
>
> My 2.9 (the left to right gauge) takes forever to get to the M in
> normal (which is usaual warm up) In these harsh WI winters the thing
> rarely reads above R in normal. The 2.9 is very cold blooded - don't
> worry about it.
>
> Finally the man with the Ranger (4.0 I believe) who is concered about
> gas mileage (and hey, who isn't with gas being a $1.20 here in South
> Central WI)
>
> My Ranger has an approx. 16 gal. tank and I fill up in summer every
> 300 miles. that makes about 19-21 MPG mixed driving. In winter Thats
> a completely different story - I'm lucky if I get 12 mpg with the hubs
> locked in and the freaking cold weather!!
>
> ===
> Troy Reifsnider
> Fordmantroy yahoo.com
> 1992 Ford Ranger reg. cab long box
> XLT 4x4 2.9L 5 sp.
> "Drive it like you stole it"
> _________________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> >
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:02:09 +0100
From: Pat Egan
Subject: FTE Small - Ford van site (& Diesels)?

Hi,
I have an interest in Ford vans. Here in Europe we have the Ford Transit
van usually with a 2.5L diesel engine. I would like to know if the Transit
van is available in the US. If not what would it's equivalent van be?
Anyone know of any web sites / lists dealing with Ford vans or with Ford
DIESEL engines?
Thanks --- Pat Egan (Ireland)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:21:06 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transmission

At 11:48 PM 7/11/99 -0400, you wrote:

>What year Explorer, and how many miles?


97 explorer XLT, OHV V6, 45,400 miles. I bought it with 43,500 on the
clock and had a 30 day, 3000 mile warranty...
Delaer (dodge) looked at it June 4 for the trans slipping and the level
being 2 inches above the top of the full mark!
They said they fixed it, and now the fluid looks like glitter.
This AM they said they would either get a new trans from ford and install
it or take it next door to Greene Ford and have them replace it.


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:49:23 -0500
From: "Campbell, Carl "
Subject: FTE Small - brake warning lights

Greetings to all:

Ok, I'm stumped (and frustrated). I installed a remanufactured master brake
cylinder on my '88 B II XLT this weekend. I purchased it from a major Ford
Truck dealership here in Nashville, TN. This Bronco II has rear antilock
brakes (RABS). After carefully installing the part and bleeding the entire
system (including the RABS valve), I have an illuminated red "BRAKE" and
yellow "REAR ANTILOCK" warning light on the dash. The pedal feels firm and
the brakes appear to work fine, although I haven't tested the antilock
feature. I have a Haynes and Chilton Manual. The Chilton manual describes
a method to "flash out" an error code by momentarily grounding a "diagnostic
connector" on the RABS module. According to the Chilton manual, this
connector is "rearward, under the dash, on the driver side, around the main
cable bundle." The Haynes manual shows this connector near the RABS module
which is mounted behind the driver door on the pillar. I can't find it in
either location. Does anyone know where else the factory might have hidden
this connector? Also, the red "BRAKE" lamp will go out if I disconnect the
reservoir sensor. Does this mean that the sensor is defective? The master
cylinder came with a new reservoir and sensor. Any insight would be greatly
appreciated.

Carl Campbell
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:12:35 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - brake warning lights

Carl,
One thing I do know, is with ABS on most fords, there is a diagnostic mode
the ABS has to be put in to bleed air out of the module... You have to have
a scantool to put it into the bleed mode. I was warned on my Explorer to
never open the bleeder screws on the front or rears unless I wanted to pay
the dealer 200 dollars to bleed the ABS system out.


At 11:49 AM 7/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings to all:
>
>Ok, I'm stumped (and frustrated). I installed a remanufactured master brake
>cylinder on my '88 B II XLT this weekend. I purchased it from a major Ford
>Truck dealership here in Nashville, TN. This Bronco II has rear antilock
>brakes (RABS). After carefully installing the part and bleeding the entire
>system (including the RABS valve), I have an illuminated red "BRAKE" and
>yellow "REAR ANTILOCK" warning light on the dash. The pedal feels firm and
>the brakes appear to work fine, although I haven't tested the antilock
>feature. I have a Haynes and Chilton Manual. The Chilton manual describes
>a method to "flash out" an error code by momentarily grounding a "diagnostic
>connector" on the RABS module. According to the Chilton manual, this
>connector is "rearward, under the dash, on the driver side, around the main
>cable bundle." The Haynes manual shows this connector near the RABS module
>which is mounted behind the driver door on the pillar. I can't find it in
>either location. Does anyone know where else the factory might have hidden
>this connector? Also, the red "BRAKE" lamp will go out if I disconnect the
>reservoir sensor. Does this mean that the sensor is defective? The master
>cylinder came with a new reservoir and sensor. Any insight would be greatly
>appreciated.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:57:18 -0500
From: "Campbell, Carl "
Subject: RE: FTE Small - brake warning lights

Hi David:
Thanks for your reply. It would appear that I have to spend some more
money. There is no mention of this "bleed mode" in my manuals but I'm not
surprised. The ironic thing about this thing is that I didn't really didn't
need the master cylinder, just the reservoir. The old one had deteriorated
(due to heat I guess) to the point it was starting to leak. But you can't
buy just the reservoir, you have to buy the master cylinder and reservoir
together. Also, I didn't crack the bleeder valves at first, only after
these warning lights wouldn't go out. I will figure it out eventually!
Carl

> ----------
> From: David Cooley[SMTP:n5xmt bellsouth.net]
> Sent: Monday, July 12, 1999 12:12 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE Small - brake warning lights
>
> Carl,
> One thing I do know, is with ABS on most fords, there is a diagnostic mode
>
> the ABS has to be put in to bleed air out of the module... You have to
> have
> a scantool to put it into the bleed mode. I was warned on my Explorer to
> never open the bleeder screws on the front or rears unless I wanted to pay
>
> the dealer 200 dollars to bleed the ABS system out.
>
>
> At 11:49 AM 7/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Greetings to all:
> >
> >Ok, I'm stumped (and frustrated). I installed a remanufactured master
> brake
> >cylinder on my '88 B II XLT this weekend. I purchased it from a major
> Ford
> >Truck dealership here in Nashville, TN. This Bronco II has rear antilock
> >brakes (RABS). After carefully installing the part and bleeding the
> entire
> >system (including the RABS valve), I have an illuminated red "BRAKE" and
> >yellow "REAR ANTILOCK" warning light on the dash. The pedal feels firm
> and
> >the brakes appear to work fine, although I haven't tested the antilock
> >feature. I have a Haynes and Chilton Manual. The Chilton manual
> describes
> >a method to "flash out" an error code by momentarily grounding a
> "diagnostic
> >connector" on the RABS module. According to the Chilton manual, this
> >connector is "rearward, under the dash, on the driver side, around the
> main
> >cable bundle." The Haynes manual shows this connector near the RABS
> module
> >which is mounted behind the driver door on the pillar. I can't find it
> in
> >either location. Does anyone know where else the factory might have
> hidden
> >this connector? Also, the red "BRAKE" lamp will go out if I disconnect
> the
> >reservoir sensor. Does this mean that the sensor is defective? The
> master
> >cylinder came with a new reservoir and sensor. Any insight would be
> greatly
> >appreciated.
>
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:26:26 -0400
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: FTE Small - Parts sources

Does anyone know if I can get the following:

Performance parts for the 3.0L
A child seat the bolts in place of the small seat in the extended cab.

Thanks
Joe

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:37:32 -0400
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Parts sources

OH by the way, it's a 99 Ranger XLT

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Joe Merchak
Sent: Monday, July 12, 1999 3:26 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - Parts sources

Does anyone know if I can get the following:

Performance parts for the 3.0L
A child seat the bolts in place of the small seat in the extended cab.

Thanks
Joe

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:58:17 -0700
From: rgstein pacbell.net
Subject: FTE Small - Check Engine Light: Code Reader

Geoffrey Hoffman asked:

so, I will assume that since it works with the 93 aerostar (or
whatever you have) it should work with my '93 4.0 explorer, right?

Can these things be hooked up while driving, or do you unplug
something to plug the reader in? I am getting the "check engine"
after an hour of driving, and didn't know if i had to stop when i saw
the light, and hook it up, or just leave it hooked up.

My reply:

So long as your computer is programmed with EEC-IV technology, which I
believe it is, the Equus reader should work fine. Note that this model
has a liquid crystal screen, and isn't the cheaper one with flashing
lights. There is a connector under the hood for code readers, under a
plastic shroud on my '92 Aerostar. Codes can also be read with a simple
voltmeter. The sequence begins by electrically "goosing" the vehicle's
computer to download its stored codes. It can play them back slowly
(you count the swings of the voltmeter needle) or quickly (for a fancier
code reader).

There's a proper sequence for connection and disconnection: if you
disconnect improperly, you wipe the computer's stored trouble codes.

The code reader plugs directly into the car's socket. However, the
optional extension cord allows you to hold it in your hand and also run
a few dynamic tests from the driver's seat.

There was a post here today about reading the stored codes with the
"check engine" light (I didn't know you could do this). I think the
voltmeter method is covered in the Haynes books.

Richard

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:31:42 -0700
From: Ray Scheidnes
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Intake Upgrade

I have a '94 Ranger with the 4.0 motor. I called up K&N and they said that
they don't have an induction kit for my truck, nor did it sound like they
planned to make one.
I purchased the KKM intake kit, but haven't installed it yet. I tried once,
but noticed that things don't fit that well. The support bracket doesn't
mount up to any "preexisting hole" and the new airtube seems to want to rest
on the hot radiator hose. There is a hose between the add oil thing and the
factory airtube, but it's too short for the kit. I also realized that I
have to remove the blanket inside the hood, because it was mashing
everything together. I emailed KKM and they said to remove the blanket
(they said that the hood will be fine) so I did. I still need the longer
hose and they still insist that there should be an existing hole for the
support bracket on the kit. I really don't want to drill any holes at all,
but I will if it's necessary, I guess. Other ideas have been tossed around
by other people here, but many still believe that this will help me out as I
have headers and 2.5" exhaust on my Ranger. I tend to believe that this
should be an improvement. KKM also said that the underhood temperatures are
only about 5 to 10 degrees higher than the outside environment, while
driving.

I'd sure like to know if you noticed improvement after installing your KKM
kit. What else changed? Sound? Torque? Did you experience the same
difficulties when installing your kit in your '93 as I have for my '94?

Thanks.

> ----------
> From: Jordan Dean[SMTP:jsdean home.com]
> Reply To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Friday, July 09, 1999 10:20 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE Small - Intake Upgrade
>
> At 03:41 PM 7/8/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Has anyone done an intake upgrade on a 1994 4.0 L V6 Ford Ranger? I
> talked
> >to a K&N representative and he said their kit wouldn't work. The only
> other
> >one I have found is a TruRev Induction Kit. ( This kit doesn't include
> >everything you need). Any input would be great.
> >
> >Kevin
> I have a '93 with the KKM intake kit, it had everything (crappy
> instructions, but whatever) and I'm really happy with it.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 20:41:48 -0600
From: "Joseph L. Casey"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Ford van site (& Diesels)?

You are very close to it! Try ford -diesel. com

Joseph Casey

Pat Egan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an interest in Ford vans. Here in Europe we have the Ford Transit....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.