small-list-digest Thursday, June 10 1999 Volume 03 : Number 143



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - A/C system oil charge
FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please
Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please
Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please
Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please
FTE Small - new truck and new to the list
Re: FTE Small - new truck and new to the list
Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please
FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:
Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please
Re: FTE Small - new truck and new to the list
RE: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:
RE: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:
Re: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:
Re: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:41:54 -0500
From: Neal Armstrong
Subject: FTE Small - A/C system oil charge

When replacing the Liquid Line, Discharge Line and Suction Line A/C
components, how does one determine how much R-12 oil to replace in the
system?

In one Ford manual, they suggest drilling a hole in the old
accumulator/dryer (replaced as
a component of the suction line) and measuring the amount of oil in the
unit and finally adding that amount back in. This seems like it would
be only a partial replacement of
the quantity lost. Also, what is the preferred method of re-introducing
the oil back
into the system?

Finally, even if the compressor and condenser are _not_ being replaced,
should they be purged of old oil and replenished and if so, what is the
preferred method of performing these operations?

Thanks in advance.

Neal Armstrong
"100% Fords in my garage!"

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 18:49:01 +0100
From: Nick G Moulsdale
Subject: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please

I have a '97 Explorer which is due its 20,000 mile service. I have a
choice of shops to send it to here in UK, a Ford Shop and an
independent. If I use the independent I get to specify any jobs I
want (and can afford). Or I could do it myself, I've got the
Chiltons, but that doesn't really tell you if its difficult (the
words "remove" figure largely in the text!!)

Help please, never mind the auto manual, what does the list RECOMMEND
I have done. With reasons and estimated cost/effect if possible. I
love my Explorer (and they are still RARE in Britain), so I want to
look after it, so any suggestions gratefully accepted. I check oil,
water, tires, every week, it does about 10,000 miles a year, a
mixture of small British hard top roads and motorways (Interstates?).
Its not done any real 4x4 work. It looks and drives like new. Oil is clean.

Engine is 4.0 litre SOHC, which gives me 22+ mpg. No other mods done
yet.... Should I do some?

TIA for all and any help/advice.

- --
Nick Moulsdale
Ivy Cottage,
Castley, Otley.
North Yorkshire. nick.moul zetnet.co.uk
LS21 2PY ENGLAND phone(44)1423-734470

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:21:08 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please

At 06:49 PM 6/9/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I have a '97 Explorer which is due its 20,000 mile service. I have a
>choice of shops to send it to here in UK, a Ford Shop and an
>independent. If I use the independent I get to specify any jobs I
>want (and can afford). Or I could do it myself, I've got the
>Chiltons, but that doesn't really tell you if its difficult (the
>words "remove" figure largely in the text!!)
>
>Help please, never mind the auto manual, what does the list RECOMMEND
>I have done. With reasons and estimated cost/effect if possible. I
>love my Explorer (and they are still RARE in Britain), so I want to
>look after it, so any suggestions gratefully accepted. I check oil,
>water, tires, every week, it does about 10,000 miles a year, a
>mixture of small British hard top roads and motorways (Interstates?).
>Its not done any real 4x4 work. It looks and drives like new. Oil is clean.


Hi Nick,
I'd recommend 3000 mile oil and filter changes, if you can afford it, a
good synthetic oil... at 20K, trans fluid and filter (if it's an auto trans).
If it's the 5 speed automatic transmission, make sure whoever changes the
fluid uses nothing but MerconV fluid! anything else will destroy it in
short order (even Mercon IV!). Might want to throw a new PCV valve in and
a fuel filter... Make sure the Air filter is clean as well.


>Engine is 4.0 litre SOHC, which gives me 22+ mpg. No other mods done
>yet.... Should I do some?

I'd recommend the K&N air filter... either the factory replacement K&N or
an aftermarket air induction system.

Take care,
Dave

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:33:28 -0400
From: "Kenneth J. Nagy"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please

I've got a '96 Explorer with 65,000 miles. Other than basic maintenance as
you have described, not much else done. I have changed the air filter
element. Alot of guys install the K&N air filter for better flow (and
mileage, I hear) I commute about 100 miles round trip, and have just
replaced the Goodyear tires. Oh yeah, I have changed a tail lite bulb.
Hope you have as good luck as I have had.

Cheers,
Ken

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Nick G Moulsdale
To:
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 1:49 PM
Subject: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please


> I have a '97 Explorer which is due its 20,000 mile service. I have a
> choice of shops to send it to here in UK, a Ford Shop and an
> independent. If I use the independent I get to specify any jobs I
> want (and can afford). Or I could do it myself, I've got the
> Chiltons, but that doesn't really tell you if its difficult (the
> words "remove" figure largely in the text!!)
>
> Help please, never mind the auto manual, what does the list RECOMMEND
> I have done. With reasons and estimated cost/effect if possible. I
> love my Explorer (and they are still RARE in Britain), so I want to
> look after it, so any suggestions gratefully accepted. I check oil,
> water, tires, every week, it does about 10,000 miles a year, a
> mixture of small British hard top roads and motorways (Interstates?).
> Its not done any real 4x4 work. It looks and drives like new. Oil is
clean.
>
> Engine is 4.0 litre SOHC, which gives me 22+ mpg. No other mods done
> yet.... Should I do some?
>
> TIA for all and any help/advice.
>
> --
> Nick Moulsdale
> Ivy Cottage,
> Castley, Otley.
> North Yorkshire. nick.moul zetnet.co.uk
> LS21 2PY ENGLAND phone(44)1423-734470
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:40:25 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please

At 02:33 PM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I've got a '96 Explorer with 65,000 miles. Other than basic maintenance as
>you have described, not much else done. I have changed the air filter
>element. Alot of guys install the K&N air filter for better flow (and
>mileage, I hear) I commute about 100 miles round trip, and have just
>replaced the Goodyear tires. Oh yeah, I have changed a tail lite bulb.
>Hope you have as good luck as I have had.


Ken,
I spoke with my Brother earlier today about my Explorer and recomended
maint. etc...
You will probably want to put a new set of factory plug wires on since
you're at 65K miles...
According to my brother, they have found that the stock wires last about
60K before they give up... However, when they start to increase their
resistance and break down from age and heat, they take out the $300.00
ignition module with them...
Cheap insurance is a set of wires every 50-60K.


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:52:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Skip Ramsay
Subject: FTE Small - new truck and new to the list

Hi Gang,

I just bought a brand new 1999 Ford Ranger Extended cab auto 2wd short bed! So
far it's great! I found this list so I dedcided to join so I would be able to
hear about various quirks that may arise ...

I also thought someone might have a recommendation about a tonneau cover. I
like the idea of being able to get in and out of it fairly easily but don't like
the idea of the rigid cover from the "storage when not in use" aspect. This
seems to leave me with 2 possibilities: first is the soft frame mounted type
with gas piston lifts. I'm not sure how readily this type "breaks down" for
storage when not used. Second is the rollup type which sounds ideal but I
probably would have to pay accordingly.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

tia
- -skip



* \) Skip Ramsay
\|_\ \ Sun Support Services
( \ Enterprise Services
) 2 Omni Drive Chelmsford, MA 01824
TEL 781-442-1340 FAX 781-505-8449



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:22:34 -0700
From: Thom Cheney
Subject: Re: FTE Small - new truck and new to the list

Hey Skip... welcome to the wonderful world of Ford Rangers. I got mine
new in '97. After 20,000 miles I still like it lots. I'd go for
another 20 hp, but I'd prolly just get more tickets.

I have been mulling over the tonneau cover dilemma for a while. I am
leaning heavily towards the removable frame/snap fastened soft cover.
My reasoning is as follows:

I want the cover on for most of the time. I want a little bit of
security for hauling small stuff underneath. The tailgate opens without
removing the top, so I can stow groceries, or tools or maybe just a
cooler back there.

When carry my canoe, I have an aluminum overhead rack I built that slips
right into the stake pockets. The tonneau cover covers these, so I want
to be able to remove it easily for this or other large loads. My
bro-in-law has a hard cover & when he hauls oversized items, it is a
pain to remove his top. Not sure if this is the same for all hard
caps, but I can at least speak for the one I know of.

Lastly....price. The soft cover is under $200 in the Summit catalog.

Enjoy your Ranger,


- --
Thom Cheney
tcgrafx... among other things
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:28:12 -0700
From: Thom Cheney
Subject: Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please

I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Other filters as
needed. Keep an eye on the tire wear & the brakes. Vaccuum it out once
a month. Wash when needed. Dry it off with a big old beach towel. Pat
it on the hood and tell it what a damn fine truck it is....
- --
Thom Cheney
tcgrafx... among other things
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 16:46:07 -0400
From: Chris Slaw
Subject: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:

Hello list!
Just signed up to talk Explorer V8 talk with other owners and enthusiasts. I
hail from eastern Pa.; some of you may know me from Fordnatics or 50natics.

Q: I would like to know if anybody has any ideas or experiences with cat-back
exhaust systems for the V8 Explorers. This factory system seems stuffed up
pretty bad, altho that impression may be caused by the use of Flowmaster muffs
on my 5.0 Mustang! Also, what is the deal with the air filter setups? I
ordered a K&N filter and AutoZone only had a conical unit; mine has the
panel-type.
- --
Chris Slaw
- --
'97 Explorer V8 17k
'93 626ES auto 49k
'90 MustangGT 5spd 60k
- --
"The ones whom you should try to get even with
are the ones who have helped you."
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:46:34 -0400
From: "Kenneth J. Nagy"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please

Thanks for the input. Just replaced the serpentine drive belt, maybe will
go for the plug wires. (Gotta be easier than my '96 Firebird was) Lease is
up early next year, just crossing my fingers...

Ken

- ----- Original Message -----
From: David Cooley
To:
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: FTE Small - '97 Explorer - 20,000 mile service - Help please


> At 02:33 PM 6/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >I've got a '96 Explorer with 65,000 miles. Other than basic maintenance
as
> >you have described, not much else done. I have changed the air filter
> >element. Alot of guys install the K&N air filter for better flow (and
> >mileage, I hear) I commute about 100 miles round trip, and have just
> >replaced the Goodyear tires. Oh yeah, I have changed a tail lite bulb.
> >Hope you have as good luck as I have had.
>
>
> Ken,
> I spoke with my Brother earlier today about my Explorer and recomended
> maint. etc...
> You will probably want to put a new set of factory plug wires on since
> you're at 65K miles...
> According to my brother, they have found that the stock wires last about
> 60K before they give up... However, when they start to increase their
> resistance and break down from age and heat, they take out the $300.00
> ignition module with them...
> Cheap insurance is a set of wires every 50-60K.
>
>
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 17:02:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Skip Ramsay
Subject: Re: FTE Small - new truck and new to the list

Hi Thom,

>I have been mulling over the tonneau cover dilemma for a while. I am
>leaning heavily towards the removable frame/snap fastened soft cover.
>My reasoning is as follows:
>
>I want the cover on for most of the time. I want a little bit of
>security for hauling small stuff underneath. The tailgate opens without
>removing the top, so I can stow groceries, or tools or maybe just a
>cooler back there.
>
>When carry my canoe, I have an aluminum overhead rack I built that slips
>right into the stake pockets. The tonneau cover covers these, so I want
>to be able to remove it easily for this or other large loads. My
>bro-in-law has a hard cover & when he hauls oversized items, it is a
>pain to remove his top. Not sure if this is the same for all hard
>caps, but I can at least speak for the one I know of.
>
>Lastly....price. The soft cover is under $200 in the Summit catalog.
>
>Enjoy your Ranger,
Very sound logic indeed ... I believe my ussage patterns will be very similar (
minus the canoe). One additional fact that I left out was the dealer installed
an over-the-rail bedliner as part of the deal and I think that will need to be
cut for the frame clamps.

thanks for the help,

- -skip


* \) Skip Ramsay
\|_\ \ Sun Support Services
( \ Enterprise Services
) 2 Omni Drive Chelmsford, MA 01824
TEL 781-442-1340 FAX 781-505-8449



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:06:34 -0700
From: Ray Scheidnes
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:

Look up Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports on the internet. They've got replacement
air induction kits for Fords. I just ordered their kit for my Ranger 4.0
motor. Haven't put it in yet, but can't wait! My factory airbox currently
has the panel type K&N filter which has done quite well, but still too
restrictive...

> ----------
> From: Chris Slaw[SMTP:cslaw ptd.net]
> Reply To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 1:46 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:
>
> Hello list!
> Just signed up to talk Explorer V8 talk with other owners and enthusiasts.
> I
> hail from eastern Pa.; some of you may know me from Fordnatics or
> 50natics.
>
> Q: I would like to know if anybody has any ideas or experiences with
> cat-back
> exhaust systems for the V8 Explorers. This factory system seems stuffed up
> pretty bad, altho that impression may be caused by the use of Flowmaster
> muffs
> on my 5.0 Mustang! Also, what is the deal with the air filter setups? I
> ordered a K&N filter and AutoZone only had a conical unit; mine has the
> panel-type.
> --
> Chris Slaw
> --
> '97 Explorer V8 17k
> '93 626ES auto 49k
> '90 MustangGT 5spd 60k
> --
> "The ones whom you should try to get even with
> are the ones who have helped you."
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:10:33 -0400
From: David Cooley
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:

At 02:06 PM 6/9/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Look up Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports on the internet. They've got replacement
>air induction kits for Fords. I just ordered their kit for my Ranger 4.0
>motor. Haven't put it in yet, but can't wait! My factory airbox currently
>has the panel type K&N filter which has done quite well, but still too
>restrictive...

And remember, with the panel filter, it's not the filter that's the
restriction, but the air inlet the factory made... Pretty darn small
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:53:18 -0400
From: Chris Slaw
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:

Ray Scheidnes wrote:
>
> Look up Kurtz Kustomz Motorsports on the internet. They've got replacement
> air induction kits for Fords. I just ordered their kit for my Ranger 4.0
> motor. Haven't put it in yet, but can't wait! My factory airbox currently
> has the panel type K&N filter which has done quite well, but still too
> restrictive...

I've seen several problems with the tacked-on conical filter setups:

#1 - the factory MAF meter is calibrated to the laminar airflow
characteristics which the (on mine at least) panel filter creates. If you
change from the panel to the conical filter, it throws off the calibration of
the MAF meter. That's why you should specify if you want your MAF meter
calibrated for the conical or panel filter when you order a bigger MAF from
somebody like Pro-M. This normally only affects idle mixture, but can also
have an affect at WOT. Generally speaking, the factory calibration is set too
rich at WOT to help prevent detonation, so the leaned-out signal the MAF sends
to the ecm is often beneficial for power production purposes (especially when
running high octane gas), but at best the affect is unpredictable. If you
already have a factory conical filter, you still have the following issues...

#2 - underhood air can be very hot, compared to the fresh air being pulled in
from outside by the factory airbox. Hot air is bad for power production, and
induces detonation. As long as the airbox inlet is as large as, or larger
than the smallest opening in the inlet tract, it is not possible that it is
restricting airflow. I estimate that the airbox inlet tube can flow 600
cfm, which is plenty for a 4.0 or 5.0 that never sees the high side of 5000
rpm.

#3 - the open filter element receives "prop wash" from the cooling fan, which
throws it out of whack and screws up the idle strategy of the ecm.

#4 - reduced splash protection makes it easier to ingest H2O.

#5 - what are you getting for your $90? All I see is a $39 air filter and
adaptor tube with a clamp?

In other words - thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with my panel filter.

OTOH, it is nice to finally find info on the Dynomax exhaust kit. Thanks for
the lead!

- --
Chris Slaw
- --
'97 Explorer V8 17k
'93 626ES auto 49k
'90 MustangGT 5spd 60k
- --
"The ones whom you should try to get even with
are the ones who have helped you."
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:18:45 EDT
From: Ding060297 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Intro and Explorer V8 Q:

Hey chris slaw i own a 96 explorer v8 and i've installed the cat back system
about a month ago...I went down to a local exhaust shop that does it all the
bends the setup and installation...I did a 3" pipes with a 3" dynomax muffler
.it sounds pretty mean its not to loud but sounds mean....I've also added a
k&n air filter but i have the cylinder style box and i've just removed the....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.