small-list-digest Tuesday, June 8 1999 Volume 03 : Number 141



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - Yet Another Towing Question
Re: FTE Small - Yet Another Towing Question
Re: FTE Small - Yet Another Towing Question
FTE Small - re: Another Towing Question
FTE Small - AAA
Re: FTE Small - AAA
RE: FTE Small - re: Another Towing Question

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:50:21 -0400
From: "Rasmussen, Tim"
Subject: FTE Small - Yet Another Towing Question

I have a '93 Explorer 4x4 with towing package (and .373 rear-end). I
recently got a 21 foot travel trailer...probably weighs about 3000-4000lbs.
I have the weight ditributing hitch, but my question is how much
tongue/hitch weight is too much? I'm estimating the tongue weight to be
about 500-600lbs. I haven't pulled the thing yet...waiting to figure all
this out.

Thanks
TimR>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:04:02 -0400
From: James Oxley
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Yet Another Towing Question

Rasmussen, Tim wrote:
>
> I have a '93 Explorer 4x4 with towing package (and .373 rear-end). I
> recently got a 21 foot travel trailer...probably weighs about 3000-4000lbs.
> I have the weight ditributing hitch, but my question is how much
> tongue/hitch weight is too much? I'm estimating the tongue weight to be
> about 500-600lbs. I haven't pulled the thing yet...waiting to figure all
> this out.
>

It's usually on the order of 10% of the hitch rating, or 500 lbs for a
5000 lbs hitch, ect.......

OX
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:46:16 -0400
From: "David A. Cooley"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Yet Another Towing Question

At 08:50 AM 6/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a '93 Explorer 4x4 with towing package (and .373 rear-end). I
>recently got a 21 foot travel trailer...probably weighs about 3000-4000lbs.
>I have the weight ditributing hitch, but my question is how much
>tongue/hitch weight is too much? I'm estimating the tongue weight to be
>about 500-600lbs. I haven't pulled the thing yet...waiting to figure all
>this out.

That will depend on the hitch... If you use the factory step bumper to
mount the ball, tongue weight is limited to 300 lbs and I think trailer
weight is limited to 3000. (Stamped into the rubber on the bumper). A
class III or IV receiver hitch will take more, but the owners manual should
also state maximum tongue/cargo weight for the rear.
===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!
===========================================================
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:36:43 -0600
From: "Jeffery G. Conrad"
Subject: FTE Small - re: Another Towing Question

Date:Sun, 06 Jun 1999 21:59:02 CDT
From:travis swinny >
Subject:FTE Small - Another Towing Question

>I'm thinking about buying a 87 ranger 4x4 and i was wondering if it would
have any problems towing my drag car to the strip. I live in the central
>illinois so are not a lot of big hills. It's not a big trailer at all. But
my dad won't let me use his 96 f-150 any more because i'm putting to many
miles >on it parents :-) So i'm have a big problem here because i have no
truck to pull my car and i don't have a lot of money to buy a full size
truck. >PLEASE HELP!
Travis, we need some more info here.
1)How much does the race car/trailer combo weigh? Also, what is the
tongue weight? (that's the amount of weight the hitch of the trailer will
put on the truck.)
2)What is the engine size, axle ratio and transmission type of the
truck?
Armed with that info, you can either look in the truck's OG for some towing
charts or, if that's not available, post the info here and some one may be
able to help you. You can also give the dealership a call and see if they
have more info for you there.
With the right engine/axle combo you could be ok, but keep in mind that you
have to stop this combo - make sure the brakes are in good shape too!
Good luck!
Jeff Conrad
Software Developer, NxTrend Technology Inc.
jconrad nxtrend.com
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer,
you will find at least two human errors,
including the error of blaming it on the computer.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 09:33:42 -0700
From: rgstein pacbell.net
Subject: FTE Small - AAA

Re: Bill Ciocco's post,

Having been an AAA member at both ends of the USA, and from reading the
posts here, I'd say that AAA policies and service depend on which
regional "branch" you're dealing with. Some may be more responsive to
members than others. Theoretically, they are democratic non-profit
membership organizations, so you might be able to affect policy by
getting involved.

Here in northern California, the AAA board of directors has set itself
up withs a bulletproof self-perpetuating structure: they nominate each
other, and it is almost impossible for anyone else to break in. Yet,
the road service has been quite reliable here. Contract tow companies
give AAA calls top priority. They do seem to offer adequate "capacity"
for the types of vehicles that we (on this list) own. AAA repair shops
also seem to give member traveling breakdowns top priority. But I
discovered to my dismay that when I had my non-emergency heads done by
one of these shops, that their workmanship and punctuality suffered
greatly because I was pushed to the end of the list: they always
appeared to be swamped by the roadside breakdown jobs off I80.

AAA has changed a lot of their maps recently. I find the newer ones
harder to read somehow. And, yes, there are occasional errors (map
companies often intentionally print specific mistakes to catch copyright
violators).

Re: Allstate towing insurance: One of my friends with an Allstate policy
was repeatedly screwed by that company: their behavior was outrageous
and arrogant. I'd never deal with them.

Bottom line: I can recommend AAA if you happen to be traveling through
northern California, Nevada, and Utah. It is probably worth joining if
you live here, too.

Richard

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:04:18 -0400
From: "Kenneth J. Nagy"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - AAA

More AAA comments.

I've had very good service within New Jersey. Ran out of gas (duh) on the
Garden State Parkway which is a toll road. I called their number and had 5
gallons within a half hour, not too bad at rush hour. Also had my brother's
car towed off the same road using my membership (the tow truck driver didn't
care, it was his idea). All i know is I wouldn't want to change a flat tire
in the dark, in the rain or snow. I'll continue to pay my (plus) membership
for service such as this.

Ken

- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Monday, June 07, 1999 12:33 PM
Subject: FTE Small - AAA


> Re: Bill Ciocco's post,
>
> Having been an AAA member at both ends of the USA, and from reading the
> posts here, I'd say that AAA policies and service depend on which
> regional "branch" you're dealing with. Some may be more responsive to
> members than others. Theoretically, they are democratic non-profit
> membership organizations, so you might be able to affect policy by
> getting involved.
>
> Here in northern California, the AAA board of directors has set itself
> up withs a bulletproof self-perpetuating structure: they nominate each
> other, and it is almost impossible for anyone else to break in. Yet,
> the road service has been quite reliable here. Contract tow companies
> give AAA calls top priority. They do seem to offer adequate "capacity"
> for the types of vehicles that we (on this list) own. AAA repair shops
> also seem to give member traveling breakdowns top priority. But I
> discovered to my dismay that when I had my non-emergency heads done by
> one of these shops, that their workmanship and punctuality suffered
> greatly because I was pushed to the end of the list: they always
> appeared to be swamped by the roadside breakdown jobs off I80.
>
> AAA has changed a lot of their maps recently. I find the newer ones
> harder to read somehow. And, yes, there are occasional errors (map
> companies often intentionally print specific mistakes to catch copyright
> violators).
>
> Re: Allstate towing insurance: One of my friends with an Allstate policy
> was repeatedly screwed by that company: their behavior was outrageous
> and arrogant. I'd never deal with them.
>
> Bottom line: I can recommend AAA if you happen to be traveling through
> northern California, Nevada, and Utah. It is probably worth joining if
> you live here, too.
>
> Richard
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:28:37 -0500
From: "Tony Rio"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - re: Another Towing Question

Wouldn't you get there a lot quicker if you just drove the drag car? :)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Jeffery G. Conrad
> Sent: Monday, June 07, 1999 11:37 AM
> To: 'small-list ford-trucks.com'
> Subject: FTE Small - re: Another Towing Question
>
>
> Date:Sun, 06 Jun 1999 21:59:02 CDT
> From:travis swinny >
> Subject:FTE Small - Another Towing Question
>
> >I'm thinking about buying a 87 ranger 4x4 and i was wondering if it would
> have any problems towing my drag car to the strip. I live in the central
> >illinois so are not a lot of big hills. It's not a big trailer
> at all. But
> my dad won't let me use his 96 f-150 any more because i'm putting to many
> miles >on it parents :-) So i'm have a big problem here because i have no
> truck to pull my car and i don't have a lot of money to buy a full size
> truck. >PLEASE HELP!
> Travis, we need some more info here.
> 1)How much does the race car/trailer combo weigh? Also, what is the
> tongue weight? (that's the amount of weight the hitch of the trailer will
> put on the truck.)
> 2)What is the engine size, axle ratio and transmission type of the
> truck?
> Armed with that info, you can either look in the truck's OG for
> some towing
> charts or, if that's not available, post the info here and some one may be
> able to help you. You can also give the dealership a call and
> see if they
> have more info for you there.
> With the right engine/axle combo you could be ok, but keep in
> mind that you
> have to stop this combo - make sure the brakes are in good shape too!
> Good luck!
> Jeff Conrad
> Software Developer, NxTrend Technology Inc.
> jconrad nxtrend.com
> At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer,
> you will find at least two human errors,
> including the error of blaming it on the computer.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.