small-list-digest Wednesday, June 2 1999 Volume 03 : Number 135



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE Small - (88 BII) battery, starter, ticking & 4x4
FTE Small - Re: AAA
Re: FTE Small - Re: AAA
FTE Small - Re: ignition
RE: FTE Small - Re: ignition
FTE Small - aluminum radiators
Re: FTE Small - (88 BII) battery, starter, ticking & 4x4

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 10:55:21 -0500
From: Matthew Banevich
Subject: Re: FTE Small - (88 BII) battery, starter, ticking & 4x4

First of all..... start your truck, disconnect the battery, if it still
runs, your alternator might be good.. if it shuts down, you've go a bad
one. What does your charge gauge read?

When does it click..... all the time..... when accelerating..... be a
little more specific please?

If worse comes to worse... just take the alternator and battery to an
auto parts store that tests them for free... you might find the problem
that way.... good luck!
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:46:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: AFizzer
Subject: FTE Small - Re: AAA

How often do you guys get towed? Sixty-five bucks
wouldn't even buy two years membership in AAA. If
you're getting some other service besides towing then
I can see a reason for getting it. But I've never been
a big fan of towing insurance. I've had one tow in 17
years of driving. Cost me $105. Hardly worth insuring
against. Here in Mass. insurance companies offer
towing insurance: $4 per year buys $25 worth of
towing; $8 buys $50. Ridiculous. You'd have to be
towed several times a year for it to be worth it.


>>I couldn't find anything obvious so we ended up
having it towed home
>>(65 bucks for 1 mile!).
>
>I pay my AAA Plus membership just exactly for this
reason. It might
>be something you want to look into. Some insurance
companies offer an
>"auto club" but they generally are worthless if you
look at the "fine
>print".
>
>
>
> I agree, the AAA thing is a good deal. I have
>the Plus membership,
>which entitles me to 100 miles of free towing, which
>more than makes up
>the
>cost of the membership. I used it on my previous
>truck (an S10) when I
>got
>stranded 45 miles from home. Imagine what that would
>have cost.

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:29:58 -0700
From: Thom Cheney
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Re: AAA

AFizzer wrote:
>
> How often do you guys get towed? Sixty-five bucks
> wouldn't even buy two years membership in AAA. If
> you're getting some other service besides towing then
> I can see a reason for getting it. But I've never been
> a big fan of towing insurance. I've had one tow in 17
> years of driving. Cost me $105.

I'm with you..... I drive vehicles that sure as H*LL better not leave
me stranded. I have been towed exactly once in my life. I keep the
vehicles maintained and know how to change the tires on them, carry
jumper cables for my use & to help others in trouble, watch the gas
gauge and buy my maps at the grocery store... can't see a good reason to
pay for AAA.

Thom Cheney
tcgrafx... among other things
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 15:21:27 -0500
From: "Danny B."
Subject: FTE Small - Re: ignition

>
> Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:47:30 CDT
> From: "travis swinny"
> Subject: FTE Small - ignition
>
> I'm wanting to do something to my ranger to make it preform better. And I'm
> thinking about putting a msd ignition in it, and I was wondering if anyone
> has put one in there truck, and if it helped the preformance of the truck.
>



Travis,

I just recently installed an MSD TFI Ignition Coil on my '86 Bronco II
with 2.9L stock V6 and "rare" automatic transmission. At the same time,
I also installed a new set of Autolite Plugs and set the timing (which
was off).
After driving the vehicle around for a couple of weeks now, I can't
say that I have noticed a big improvement in power but the mileage
seems to have improved. City MPG went from around 13-15 MPG to around
17-18 MPG.
On the first road trip I made, I got 26.4 MPG. I was averaging 18-20 MPG
on the
long trips.

Keep in mind that I also installed new plugs and correctly set the
timing
which was 4-5 degrees too far advanced (I think a Ford Dealer Mechanic
did this when it was in the shop for warranty repairs several years
ago).

Bottom line: The MSD Coil seems to work well but I wouldn't expect any
miracles as far as seat of the pants performance. The increase in fuel
mileage
could have been a combination of the MSD Coil and timing because the
plugs
I removed (Bosch Platinums) were still in good shape (electrodes not
burned up and gap still correct).

Go for the MSD Coil, it mounts in the same location as the stock coil,
the electrical connections are the same, and it will probably help your
mileage.

Regards,
Danny
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:54:31 -0700
From: Ray Scheidnes
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Re: ignition

I wanted more power from my 94 4.0 Ranger motor as well, and since these
performance mods are expensive (assuming you get the "good stuff"), I made
the changes slowly. I started with the gears (both front and rear, since
the truck is 4x4). I went from the factory 3.73 to 4.56. That was the best
thing I could do for seat of the pants performance upgrades, according to
most shops that I spoke with. They were right, I could feel that change. I
then looked to the exhaust. I had JBA install their headers and they
replace all of the exhaust piping with 2.5" diameter pipe (stock was 2.25").
The muffler is a polished stainless steel one by Bullitt. Not only could I
feel these changes, it sounds nice, too. Keep in mind, shortly after making
these changes, you will get used to the new feel of your vehicle. This
being the case, I am now ready to add a KKM air induction kit in place of
the factory airbox setup (instead of drilling out the factory airbox like I
should, since I live in CA and there is no kit for me that is
emmissions-legal). Sorry for the long story... but, for an increase in what
you can feel, these would be the changes to make (short of swapping in a V8,
of course!).

> ----------
> From: Danny B.[SMTP:balusek aud.alcatel.com]
> Reply To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 1:21 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Small - Re: ignition
>
>
> >
> > Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:47:30 CDT
> > From: "travis swinny"
> > Subject: FTE Small - ignition
> >
> > I'm wanting to do something to my ranger to make it preform better. And
> I'm
> > thinking about putting a msd ignition in it, and I was wondering if
> anyone
> > has put one in there truck, and if it helped the preformance of the
> truck.
> >
>
>
>
> Travis,
>
> I just recently installed an MSD TFI Ignition Coil on my '86 Bronco II
> with 2.9L stock V6 and "rare" automatic transmission. At the same time,
> I also installed a new set of Autolite Plugs and set the timing (which
> was off).
> After driving the vehicle around for a couple of weeks now, I can't
> say that I have noticed a big improvement in power but the mileage
> seems to have improved. City MPG went from around 13-15 MPG to around
> 17-18 MPG.
> On the first road trip I made, I got 26.4 MPG. I was averaging 18-20 MPG
> on the
> long trips.
>
> Keep in mind that I also installed new plugs and correctly set the
> timing
> which was 4-5 degrees too far advanced (I think a Ford Dealer Mechanic
> did this when it was in the shop for warranty repairs several years
> ago).
>
> Bottom line: The MSD Coil seems to work well but I wouldn't expect any
> miracles as far as seat of the pants performance. The increase in fuel
> mileage
> could have been a combination of the MSD Coil and timing because the
> plugs
> I removed (Bosch Platinums) were still in good shape (electrodes not
> burned up and gap still correct).
>
> Go for the MSD Coil, it mounts in the same location as the stock coil,
> the electrical connections are the same, and it will probably help your
> mileage.
>
> Regards,
> Danny
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 99 18:20:28 PDT
From: don neomagic.com (Donald Paauw)
Subject: FTE Small - aluminum radiators

Does anyone know how aluminum radiators compare corrosion-wise
to the brass/copper ones?

- -- Don
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 99 18:40:27 PDT
From: don neomagic.com (Donald Paauw)
Subject: Re: FTE Small - (88 BII) battery, starter, ticking & 4x4

>
> First of all..... start your truck, disconnect the battery, if it still
> runs, your alternator might be good.. if it shuts down, you've go a bad
> one. What does your charge gauge read?
>
I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that the battery is necessary for
voltage regulation and that if it's disconnected while running, the voltage
can get too high.

Does anyone know for sure?

- -- Don
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.