small-list-digest Friday, June 26 1998 Volume 02 : Number 176



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Small - Manual vs. Automatic Hubs
FTE Small - Clearcoat
FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger
Re: FTE Small - Attn: J. Dean: K&N
FTE Small - Limited Slip
Re: FTE Small - Attn: J. Dean: K&N
Re: FTE Small - Limited Slip Differentials
FTE Small - Kurtz Kustomz air induction kit
Re: FTE Small - Clearcoat
FTE Small - 94 Explorer Intermittent Starting Problem
Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger
RE: FTE Small - Manual vs. Automatic Hubs
Re: FTE Small - 94 Explorer Intermittent Starting Problem
Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger
FTE Small - RE: Limited Slip Differentials
FTE Small - ODB-II or ECC-IV
Re: FTE Small - RE: Limited Slip Differentials
FTE Small - Limited Slip
Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger
Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger
Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger
Re: FTE Small - 94 Explorer Intermittent Starting Problem

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:37:03 -0400
From: Chuck Anderson
Subject: FTE Small - Manual vs. Automatic Hubs

My 90 Bronco II is equipped with automatic hubs and push button 4X4. The
vehicle has about 150000 miles. If these hubs go bad, can I replace with
manual hubs or should I pay the huge price for automatic ones. Also, during
the bad weather, could I turn the manuals on and drive in two wheel drive
and then turn on the 4X4 as I need it. I don't use the 4X4 except for bad
weather so I don't know much about them.

Chuck Anderson

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:41:30 -0400
From: Chuck Anderson
Subject: FTE Small - Clearcoat

The clearcoat on my 90 Bronco II is breaking down. The roof has a white
haze about 18 inches in diameter. When the vehicle is wet, the spot returns
to the orginal color, when it dries it is a very unsightly white. A friend
told me to sand the spot with 1000 grit paper and apply polish and wax. He
said the top will then return to it's original color. Is this true, has
anyone on the list tried it? I would like to make it look good, but I'm
afraid that a repaint is in order. Any help or advise is appreciated.

Chuck Anderson

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:06:50 -0700
From: Ted Timmons
Subject: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger

I've got a 94 Ford Ranger Splash, and I'm getting tired of the 4.whatever
V6 that is in it. Is there any information available for dropping a V8 into
it? Has it been done? Any kits? I'm real serious about this - it's not just
an idea to kick around.
- --
- -=TED=- tedder abcompsvc.com
My play area: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.abcompsvc.com
53 Chev & 76 Chev (454): http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.chevytrucks.org/ted/
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:39:43 -0400
From: "Jerry Dean"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Attn: J. Dean: K&N

Sorry, I meant that as long as your Ranger has the exact same engine as the
Explorer, then the K&N FIPK will fit your Ranger. Sorry about the mix-up.

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:39:13 -0400
From: Chuck Anderson
Subject: FTE Small - Limited Slip

>Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:33:10 -0400
>To: small-list ford-truck.com
>From: Chuck Anderson
>Subject: Limited Slip
>
>Look inside the driver's door on the door jamb. On the sticker, you will
see a section for axle. If the code has numbers only, the truck has a
conventional rear end gear. A letter followed by a number(s) means
limited-slip. Look into your owners manual or maybe a chilton or haynes
manual to find what the codes mean.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>
Chuck Anderson

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 01:30:55 GMT
From: crazy69 cyberzone.net (??????)
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Attn: J. Dean: K&N

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:39:43 -0400, you wrote:

>Sorry, I meant that as long as your Ranger has the exact same engine as the
>Explorer, then the K&N FIPK will fit your Ranger. Sorry about the mix-up.

I used a 95 Explorer on my 94 Splash,it runs great and gained 2 miles
to the gallon
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:48:31 EDT
From: HeCkLe924 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Limited Slip Differentials

does limited slip let you do better donuts? in my moms van i can only get the
inside wheel to spin. aren't there kits that let you turn it on and off? how
much are those? this is my first time posting a message, i hope i'm doin it
right
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:56:35 -0700
From: Richard Salitra
Subject: FTE Small - Kurtz Kustomz air induction kit

this past Sunday I installed the air induction kit I ordered from Kurtz
Kustomz for my 1998 4.0L Ranger. the kit is basically an S&B Powerstack
air filter with a mass air sensor adaptor, 2 supporting brackets, and
the appropriate nuts and bolts. I've got a couple of comments and a
question.

comments:
1. the instructions were simple but straightforward. no diagrams,
but then again swapping out an air filter is a basic job.

2. the bracket "B" would not attach to anything, the bracket "A" fit
perfectly (exactly where they said it would). the bracket "A" seems to
hold it just fine. I've got a question into Kurtz Kustomz on this and
will hopefully here back from them very soon.

3. didn't notice a very sizable gain although it does seem to rev a
bit easier around town. although that could just be my imagination as
that was what I expected.

Question:
This problem sounds so weird but it's true. My air
vent/air-conditioning controls now only work sporadically. I didn't
notice this until Tuesday when driving home from work and they wouldn't
work at all. I hadn't needed to use them from Sunday until then and it
did not occur to me to test them. But on the way home I had to make a
stop and when I tried it again, they worked fine. Then this morning
while driving to work the air controls again would not function. But
when driving home this evening, they worked just fine. I checked all
the connections and they seem solid. I don't understand why this would
happen and I find it extremely fustrating. I'm ready to put back in the
factory airbox if I can't figure out what's going on. I'm sure not
about to give up my driving comfort. If anybody has any suggestions, I
would greatly appreciate it. I've also got a question into Kurtz
Kustomz on this one too.

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:14:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Ryan Long
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Clearcoat

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> The clearcoat on my 90 Bronco II is breaking down. The roof has a white
> haze about 18 inches in diameter. When the vehicle is wet, the spot returns
> to the orginal color, when it dries it is a very unsightly white. A friend
> told me to sand the spot with 1000 grit paper and apply polish and wax. He
> said the top will then return to it's original color. Is this true, has
> anyone on the list tried it? I would like to make it look good, but I'm
> afraid that a repaint is in order. Any help or advise is appreciated.

SAme thing happened on my '88 Ranger, it was a metallic brown, which made
it even worse. I ended up with a Maaco paint job (I was a high school
student) and it looked light years better. Keep in mind this was a $1,000
maaco job, with the whole body sanded way down to make sure the new paint
did not flake off because of what was under it. I really dont agree with
all the people who badmouth Maaco, the did a job for 1K that the other 3
places I went wanted 3K to do. This paint job isnt perfect, some runs
inside the bed and slight orange peel in places, but nothing I couldn't
buff out, wet sand, etc. The truck isnt running right now (v8 swap slowly
in progress) but the paint still looks like new 2 years after it was
painted. Pay the money for good prep work there or do it yourself and it
looks nice. BTW I went with Bright Blue Metallic, which is slightly more
appealing than the metallic brown :)

Ryan
rlong tctc.com

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:55:00 -0500
From: "David F McCutcheon"
Subject: FTE Small - 94 Explorer Intermittent Starting Problem

My 94 Explorer started having intermittent starting problems. It usually =
would start with no problems and never quit running except when I turned =
off the key. But occasionally it would crank but not start. It didn't =
seem to matter if the engine was hot or cold. It would usually start up =
after a few minutes. No coughing or sputtering just wouldn't run.

It seemed to be occurring more frequently so I took it to the Ford dealer. =
They kept it for a day and could not get the problem to occur. No =
problem codes were stored in the computer so they basically couldn't =
figure out the problem.

I took it home and decided to change the relay for the EEC (engine =
computer). I had previously purchased some relays to keep as spares since =
that $3.50 part can leave you stranded on the road if it fails completely. =
Just for science I removed the original relay and tried to crank the =
engine without a relay in place. It acted just like it did when the =
problem would occur. It would crank but not run. Wouldn't cough, =
spurtter or anything! =20

I put in the replacement relay and the problem has seemed to go away. It =
has been almost a week without a problem and previously it was happening =
every day and sometimes several times a day.

I'm speculating the contact points inside the relay are getting pitted and =
burned and sometimes they wouldn't make proper contact eventhough the =
relay is closing. I'm going to cut it open to check it out.

I highly recommend everyone carry a spare relay just like a spare fuse and =
spare tire. They are pretty cheap - $3.50.
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 06:27:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: mark fitzgerald
Subject: Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger

unless you want to fabricate everything look into Advance Adapters or
L&L. It's possible.....it's been done many times..email me at
fitzy5.0 rocketmail.com only b/c this list must hate hearing about v8
rangers by now:)

best regards,
Fitzy




- ---Ted Timmons wrote:
>
> I've got a 94 Ford Ranger Splash, and I'm getting tired of the
4.whatever
> V6 that is in it. Is there any information available for dropping a
V8 into
> it? Has it been done? Any kits? I'm real serious about this - it's
not just
> an idea to kick around.
> --
> -=TED=- tedder abcompsvc.com
> My play area: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.abcompsvc.com
> 53 Chev & 76 Chev (454): http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.chevytrucks.org/ted/
> == FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:36:27 -0500
From: "Scott Fischer"
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Manual vs. Automatic Hubs

Warn automatic hubs are not nearly as expensive as Ford hubs. But you
should be able to use Autos or manuals. Get a truck magazine and look for a
Warn add and call them.

Scott Fischer

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-small-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-small-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Chuck Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 1998 6:37 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - Manual vs. Automatic Hubs


My 90 Bronco II is equipped with automatic hubs and push button 4X4. The
vehicle has about 150000 miles. If these hubs go bad, can I replace with
manual hubs or should I pay the huge price for automatic ones. Also, during
the bad weather, could I turn the manuals on and drive in two wheel drive
and then turn on the 4X4 as I need it. I don't use the 4X4 except for bad
weather so I don't know much about them.

Chuck Anderson

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:15:58 -0500
From: Paul Olson
Subject: Re: FTE Small - 94 Explorer Intermittent Starting Problem

Where do I get these relays? Are they Ford only parts?


David F McCutcheon wrote:

> My 94 Explorer started having intermittent starting problems. It usually would start with no problems and never quit running except when I turned off the key. But occasionally it would crank but not start. It didn't seem to matter if the engine was hot or cold. It would usually start up after a few minutes. No coughing or sputtering just wouldn't run.
>
> It seemed to be occurring more frequently so I took it to the Ford dealer. They kept it for a day and could not get the problem to occur. No problem codes were stored in the computer so they basically couldn't figure out the problem.
>
> I took it home and decided to change the relay for the EEC (engine computer). I had previously purchased some relays to keep as spares since that $3.50 part can leave you stranded on the road if it fails completely. Just for science I removed the original relay and tried to crank the engine without a relay in place. It acted just like it did when the problem would occur. It would crank but not run. Wouldn't cough, spurtter or anything!
>
> I put in the replacement relay and the problem has seemed to go away. It has been almost a week without a problem and previously it was happening every day and sometimes several times a day.
>
> I'm speculating the contact points inside the relay are getting pitted and burned and sometimes they wouldn't make proper contact eventhough the relay is closing. I'm going to cut it open to check it out.
>
> I highly recommend everyone carry a spare relay just like a spare fuse and spare tire. They are pretty cheap - $3.50.




== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:55:26 -0700
From: Keith Srb
Subject: Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger

At 05:06 PM 6/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I've got a 94 Ford Ranger Splash, and I'm getting tired of the 4.whatever
>V6 that is in it. Is there any information available for dropping a V8 into
>it? Has it been done? Any kits? I'm real serious about this - it's not just
>an idea to kick around.
>--
>-=TED=- tedder abcompsvc.com

Check out James Duff Enterprises Inc. at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.jamesduff.com/ They
have some info on putting V-8's into Rangers.

I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just ran across there web site
one day.

Later

Keith Srb herbie netvalue.net
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://members.netvalue.net/herbie
Mesa, AZ

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:30:43 -0700
From: "Pete Lawless"
Subject: FTE Small - RE: Limited Slip Differentials

>Speaking of which- how do you tell if your truck has a limited slip
>differential or not? I've got a 1989 4x2 Bronco II w/ the 2.9
>liter engine. Thanks

Lift both rear tires off the ground. Spin one.... if they both turn in the
same direction you have a limited slip diff in good condition, if they turn
in opposite directions you have an open differential.

Later.... Pete
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:38:17 -0600
From: "Nathan Sipes United Shipping Headquarters"
Subject: FTE Small - ODB-II or ECC-IV

Hello to all out there.
Couple of quick questions.
I have a 1995 ford ranger STX with a 4.0 and a manual transmission.
I have seen an adapter and software for a GM that allows you to connect the
on board diagnostic computer to a laptop and record the trouble codes. This
device is about $250 and I would like to know if anyone has seen one for a
ford or has the specs to build one maybe a schematic?

Also does anyone know of a cheap place to order replacements for the factory
installed fog lights? I checked with my local ford dealer and they want $86
per light. (I need the lens and the entire housing.)

None of the local scrap yards or used parts resellers seems to have them
available.

Nathan Sipes


== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:43:53 -0700
From: Ted Timmons
Subject: Re: FTE Small - RE: Limited Slip Differentials

At 08:30 AM 6/25/98 -0700, Pete Lawless wrote:
>>Speaking of which- how do you tell if your truck has a limited slip
>>differential or not? I've got a 1989 4x2 Bronco II w/ the 2.9
>>liter engine. Thanks
>
>Lift both rear tires off the ground. Spin one.... if they both turn in the
>same direction you have a limited slip diff in good condition, if they turn
>in opposite directions you have an open differential.

Or, get some pavement wet, powerbrake the truck, and have someone watch the
rear tires. (Or do it dry and look at the black on the pavement) :^)
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:09:57 EDT
From: Rob782 aol.com
Subject: FTE Small - Limited Slip

In a message dated 6/24/98 5:46:43 PM EST, owner-small-list-digest ford-
trucks.com writes:


From: Mudwizer aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Limited Slip Differentials

LIFT THE REAR AND SEE IF YOU REAR PASSENGER TIRE SPINS FREELY...IF IT DOES
YOU
DON'T HAVE LIMITED SLIP
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html >>

Probably will work, but easier way is to look at the tag on the rearend, it
wil have the ratio, and then size, if theres an "L" present on the tag, then
youve got the limited slip
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:44:26 -0800
From: Thom Cheney
Subject: Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger

Keith Srb wrote:
>
>
> Check out James Duff Enterprises Inc. at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.jamesduff.com/ They
> have some info on putting V-8's into Rangers.
>
> I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just ran across there web site
> one day.


I am not affiliated with Duff either, but Richard (his son, I think) is
on an Early Bronco mailing list that I subscribe to. He regularly
contributes his technical expertise without pushing his own products.
Nice guy. We threw a late summer Bronco bash in the dunes last year
(see it in the April '98 4Wheel & Offroad magazine) and he attended with
a bunch of free goodies.

We're doing it again this year & once again my Ranger will be there...
the only non-early Bronco at the event!

BTW... I have seen his "tough truck" Bronco II that features a 5.0
conversion. While this is admittedly a stripped out race only vehicle,
it is sweet with some interesting modifications.

TC
== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:50:42 -0700
From: Ted Timmons
Subject: Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger

I guess these are my concerns.

* I don't want to go with an older engine. It *must* be emissions-legal.
* It is currently 4wd, but I suppose I could drop that in order to get a
good conversion. This truck is a street truck, I'm not looking for a
conversion for any radical off-road driving. The only 4wd it sees is
wintertime in the mountains and on the beach - both of which I could live
without.
* I wouldn't mind taking it to someone - like Lingenfelter or Roush - if
they do the conversions. I'd like it done right.
* It's got to be full injection, no TBI or carb.
* It's gotta pass emissions.

I guess I could introduce myself. I'm Ted Timmons, a diehard Ch*vy fan, but
I've got a 94 Ford Ranger Splash, too.

At 11:44 AM 6/25/98 -0800, Thom Cheney wrote:
>Keith Srb wrote:
>>
>>
>> Check out James Duff Enterprises Inc. at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.jamesduff.com/ They
>> have some info on putting V-8's into Rangers.
>>
>> I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just ran across there web site
>> one day.
>
>
>I am not affiliated with Duff either, but Richard (his son, I think) is
>on an Early Bronco mailing list that I subscribe to. He regularly
>contributes his technical expertise without pushing his own products.
>Nice guy. We threw a late summer Bronco bash in the dunes last year
>(see it in the April '98 4Wheel & Offroad magazine) and he attended with
>a bunch of free goodies.
>
>We're doing it again this year & once again my Ranger will be there...
>the only non-early Bronco at the event!
>
>BTW... I have seen his "tough truck" Bronco II that features a 5.0
>conversion. While this is admittedly a stripped out race only vehicle,
>it is sweet with some interesting modifications.
>
>TC
>== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>


- --
- -=TED=- JAPH tedt colubs.com http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.colubs.com

== FTE: Unsubscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 1998 18:33:20 EDT
From: Hawk sktc.net
Subject: Re: FTE Small - V8 in the Ranger

SM>unless you want to fabricate everything look into Advance Adapters or
SM>L&L. It's possible.....it's been done many times..email me at
SM>fitzy5.0 rocketmail.com only b/c this list must hate hearing about v8
SM>rangers by now:)

SM>best regards,
SM>Fitzy

....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.