small-list-digest Thursday, July 16 1998 Volume 02 : Number 198



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe small-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

RE: FTE Small - Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II
Re: FTE Small - "Ranger Mystery Sudden Acceleration?"
FTE Small - Tail gate up or down
Re: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down
Re: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down
Re: FTE Small - Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II
FTE Small - More '98 Ranger info
Re: FTE Small - More '98 Ranger info
Re: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down
Re: FTE Small - More '98 Ranger info
Re: FTE Small - Transfer Case
Re: FTE Small - New '98 Ranger Questions
Re: FTE Small - New '98 Ranger Questions
Re: FTE Small - "Ranger Mystery Sudden Acceleration?"
Re: FTE Small - "Ranger Mystery Sudden Acceleration?"
FTE Small - Re:Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II
Re: FTE Small - Re:Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 07:41:28 -0700
From: cassis
Subject: RE: FTE Small - Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II

How much weight? Thats what is realy important here. I've got a Ranger (4x
with a 3.0) and have towed as much as 3500 lbs - that was realy working the
truck. But I regularly tow my boat, 1500 lbs including trailor, and have
had no ill effects.

John Cassis
93' STX 4x4 3.0/5-speed

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Smith [SMTP:jopasm ebicom.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 7:25 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Small - Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II

Some background- I've got a 1989 Bronco II w/ the 2.9l V6. It's
2wd with a 5spd manual transmission. I'm looking at getting a small
camper and I'll be pulling it with this vehicle. The
camper is a 14' bumper pull single axle.

Some questions:

Is this just a terribly bad idea? We're talking maybe 1-2 long trips
a year (long trip = over 100miles), and several shorter trips.
The trailer is a "stripped" 14' - the plumbing & gas have been pulled
out so about all that's left is a a/c and beds. I'll probably add
some stuff back in (sink, stoves & maybe a small fridge).

Anyway-

1. Can the truck pull this safely & without damage at close highway
speeds (~60mph on freeways say)?

2. Will running the truck in 4th gear (manual says not to use
overdrive) at these speeds injure the trans/engine?

3. Is there anything I can do beforehand to prep & protect my truck?
It's got power brakes (antilock), but I don't think they're heavy
duty. Any (major) danger of brake failure/lockup? I've never
towed a trailer for any long distances (I've done some towing, not
much) so I'm not sure how it's going to handle.

I can't afford a second truck just for towing right now, so my
Bronco's going to have to bear the load! :>

Oh- one more thing- it's got a factory installed "hitch" bumper- will
this do (at least for now) or do I need to get a draw-tite type
rig installed?

Any tips/advice/web sites/etc. will be greatly appreciated!
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:29:43 -0500
From: "David Steelman"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - "Ranger Mystery Sudden Acceleration?"

Okay, okay, I just have to throw my two cents worth in here on this sudden
acceleration thing. This really more of an anecdote than anything else.
Sometimes I just like to hear myself talk...er, type.
My last truck was a 90 Ranger 4x2 2.3, 5 spd man. Yes manual. Now, dont
freak out, I never had sudden acceleration, but I did have my engine race
wildly out of control after I put the clutch in. The first time it happened
it scared the heck out of me. There I was, minding my own business shifting
from second into third, when suddenly the engine was screaming like it was
about to explode.
The culprit? Floor mats.
Over the years my floor mat had gotten to the point that they would creep
forward every time I put the clutch in. When they had crept far enough, the
front corner would grab the gas pedal and hold it down after I took my foot
off. The second time it happened I finally got smart enough to take out the
old floor mat on the driver's side.
I would imagine that the same thing could happen in an automatic if you let
your foot rub the floor mats as you brake and accelerate.

Anyway, now you know.

Oh, no word from the shop yet on the clunk in my 98 4x4.

Dave
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:26:08 -0400
From: "James B. G. Benson"
Subject: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down

Hi all,

Someone told me about a study or something that was done showing that
there was a gas mileage difference in the trucks with the tailgate up versus
having it down. Anyone ever heard of this ? I keep mine up most of the
time unless I am trying to get water our of the bedliner.

Thanks

Jim Benson
98 Ranger XLT
www.scsn.net/users/obiwan

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:05:28 -0400
From: helotie juno.com (Mark A Helotie)
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down

All together now:

FAQ! FAQ! FAQ! FAQ! FAQ!

If you listen carefully, you'll hear the masses crying out for
a FAQ for this list (or *any* truck list).

I think this should be question Number One.


(nothing personal James...
just amazed at how it comes up on a quarterly basis...)


Mark :)




On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:26:08 -0400 "James B. G. Benson"
writes:

> Someone told me about a study or something that was done
> showing that there was a gas mileage difference in the trucks
> with the tailgate up versus having it down. Anyone ever heard
> of this ? I keep mine up most of the time unless I am trying
> to get water our of the bedliner.







_____________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:34:11 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down

At 10:05 AM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>
>All together now:
>
> FAQ! FAQ! FAQ! FAQ! FAQ!
>
>If you listen carefully, you'll hear the masses crying out for
>a FAQ for this list (or *any* truck list).
>
>I think this should be question Number One.
>
>
>(nothing personal James...
>just amazed at how it comes up on a quarterly basis...)
>
>
>Mark :)
>

TIME! TIME! TIME!

I already spent 2-4 hours daily taking care of the lists and
web site. I won't be putting together a FAQ anytime soon.
That's why we have a tech article section on the web site.
If you want to add an article on this topic, feel to submit one.

Ken Payne
CoAdmin




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:02:08 -0500
From: Jonathan Smith
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II

I'll know the weight this evening. I'm also looking at a 22ft. dual
axle but I'm afraid it'll be way too heavy- I might can get it
rolling, but stopping it is another story! :>

Thanks for the help so far- I'll post the weight as soon as I find
out.

cassis wrote:
>
> How much weight? Thats what is realy important here. I've got a Ranger (4x
> with a 3.0) and have towed as much as 3500 lbs - that was realy working the
> truck. But I regularly tow my boat, 1500 lbs including trailor, and have
> had no ill effects.
>
> John Cassis
> 93' STX 4x4 3.0/5-speed
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan Smith [SMTP:jopasm ebicom.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 1998 7:25 PM
> To: small-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Small - Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II
>
> Some background- I've got a 1989 Bronco II w/ the 2.9l V6. It's
> 2wd with a 5spd manual transmission. I'm looking at getting a small
> camper and I'll be pulling it with this vehicle. The
> camper is a 14' bumper pull single axle.
>
> Some questions:
>
> Is this just a terribly bad idea? We're talking maybe 1-2 long trips
> a year (long trip = over 100miles), and several shorter trips.
> The trailer is a "stripped" 14' - the plumbing & gas have been pulled
> out so about all that's left is a a/c and beds. I'll probably add
> some stuff back in (sink, stoves & maybe a small fridge).
>
> Anyway-
>
> 1. Can the truck pull this safely & without damage at close highway
> speeds (~60mph on freeways say)?
>
> 2. Will running the truck in 4th gear (manual says not to use
> overdrive) at these speeds injure the trans/engine?
>
> 3. Is there anything I can do beforehand to prep & protect my truck?
> It's got power brakes (antilock), but I don't think they're heavy
> duty. Any (major) danger of brake failure/lockup? I've never
> towed a trailer for any long distances (I've done some towing, not
> much) so I'm not sure how it's going to handle.
>
> I can't afford a second truck just for towing right now, so my
> Bronco's going to have to bear the load! :>
>
> Oh- one more thing- it's got a factory installed "hitch" bumper- will
> this do (at least for now) or do I need to get a draw-tite type
> rig installed?
>
> Any tips/advice/web sites/etc. will be greatly appreciated!
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:44:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Mr. Peanut"
Subject: FTE Small - More '98 Ranger info

1)To those who asked about the "always on" A/C, the dealer told me the
A/C will always come on in defrost mode because some idiot turned on
his defroster, the windshield fogged up with moist air, he didn't slow
down, and ran into a tree or pole or something, and sued Ford, so now
they wire it so the A/C automatically comes on during defrost, which
sends dry air and will defrost more rapidly. I understand this
reasoning, but I would like the option of running any and all my vents
with the A/C off. If I ever have to get behind the dash, I'm going to
have to do some plumbing myself....

2) I still don't know if all the nuts/bolts are metric on the new
Rangers? No one seems to know for sure. I haven't had to work on it
yet but just like to be prepared...

3)To those who asked about the Penda Liner, they have a non-slip
substsance impregnated, but it is still more slippery than a spray-in
liner. The plastic liner should meet my needs here on the west coast
fine. The dealer told me I can take it out every 6 mos or so and hose
out the bed so the dust won't build-up underneath and scratch the
paint; sounded like a good tip, since these things take about 5 min to
remove.. I got the over-rail style, and they say its guaranteed not to
warp....The Ford brand liner is made by DuraLiner, is the same price
($179 in So. Calif) and they told me it would probably warp, and thus
will not guarantee against warpage (over the rail type only)... Just
my 2 cents worth.

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:23:03 -0700
From: "Alan Wilson"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - More '98 Ranger info

At 08:44 AM 7/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>3)To those who asked about the Penda Liner, they have a non-slip
>substsance impregnated, but it is still more slippery than a spray-in
>liner. The plastic liner should meet my needs here on the west coast
>fine. The dealer told me I can take it out every 6 mos or so and hose
>out the bed so the dust won't build-up underneath and scratch the
>paint; sounded like a good tip, since these things take about 5 min to
>remove.. I got the over-rail style, and they say its guaranteed not to
>warp....The Ford brand liner is made by DuraLiner, is the same price
>($179 in So. Calif) and they told me it would probably warp, and thus
>will not guarantee against warpage (over the rail type only)... Just
>my 2 cents worth.
>
- -----

Can someone give me the lowdown on these bed liners? I just bought my first
truck and am new to this new phenomenon.

What are bed liners for? Anything other than to protect the paint???

How much do they run for? And what the heck is an under-rail bedliner or a
spray on...

Please help this confused truck owner.

Thanks.
Alan Wilson


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:20:58 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Tail gate up or down

At 10:34 AM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

- -snip-
>web site. I won't be putting together a FAQ anytime soon.
>That's why we have a tech article section on the web site.
>If you want to add an article on this topic, feel to submit one.
^^free

Woops!

Ken


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:54:23 -0800
From: Thom Cheney
Subject: Re: FTE Small - More '98 Ranger info

Alan Wilson wrote:

> Can someone give me the lowdown on these bed liners? I just bought my first
> truck and am new to this new phenomenon.
>
> What are bed liners for? Anything other than to protect the paint???

Mostly to protect the paint. The "drop in" liners are heavy plastic and
also give some dent protection to the bed and sides.

> How much do they run for? My Pendaliner "under rail" was $139 installed... although installation consists of setting it in the bed... it is kind of a "friction" fit.

>And what the heck is an under-rail bedliner or a
> spray on...

under rail is a kind of bedliner that fits under the top rail of the
bed. The "rail" is the flat top surface of the truck's bed. Some
bedliners are "over rail". Since this surface is 4"- 5" wide on a
Ranger, there is some threat of the plastic bedliner warping in the
summer sun. Some mfg's will warrant against this & give you a new one
every time it happens. I think the Splash trucks came with a protective
"rail cap".

Spray liners are just that... a sprayed in coating. Sort of rubberized
and thick. They don't give as much dent protection, but in harsh
climates where a lot of road salt is used, they seem to help the bed
last longer since they are bonded to the paint. With a "drop in" liner
there is a gap & if dirt or grit gets between the liner & the paint, the
normal road vibrations can cause wear & eventual rust.

Look around at other trucks on the road, you will see the beds lined in
black (usually) liners. Out here in Oregon, I think about 75% of the
newer trucks have them.

Hope this helps..

TC


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:09:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Transfer Case

You (Ed Yohe) wrote:
> Your Bronco II 4x2 manual says there's no transfer case oil
> because by definition a 4x2 does not have a transfer case.
> It is only needed, and used, in a 4x4 to apply intermittant power
> to the extra two drive wheels, hence the term 4x4.

I know that. And to a large extent you are right. Howevere, there
_is_ a 4x2 "transfer case" that gas a single shaft running
the length of it. No gears = no oil. But it's _still_ there.

If his is a 4x2 it's possible that he doesn't need oil either!
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:27:16 -0500
From: "Parker Brooks"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - New '98 Ranger Questions

wouldn't hurt to look at the tranny crossmember bolt and associated
hardware.


- -----Original Message-----
From: David Steelman
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: FTE Small - New '98 Ranger Questions


>Dan, About your thunk/thud sound, my 98 XLT 4x4 3.0 5 spd man is currently
>in the shop for a similar sound. It didn't start until I had put about 3k
>on the truck. If I accelerated real easy I could prevent it from happening,
>but under normal driving conditions I had a thunk under acceleration and
>braking. I should hear something soon so I'll pass along any info I get.
>
>While I'm here, does anyone have any idea what it's going to take to
>squeeze a couple of inches out of the front suspension on the new Rangers?
>I haven't seen much info on upgrading or tweaking the torsion bar
>suspensions. I'm not looking for a lot of lift, just about 1.5 to 2 inches.
>
>Dave
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:59:05 -0500
From: "Parker Brooks"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - New '98 Ranger Questions

hey dan,

we have a '98 explorer with the 4.0 sohc v6 4x4 and 5-sp at. that bump
you're feeling my very well be the tranny or transfer case. i just yelled
over to my dad to ask him if he's ever noticed it, since it's his daily
driver. he said no. but your truck is a lot lighter, so i might be more
inclined to get more feedback from your truck that our explorer.

and concerning that noise, i have a '98 windstar, and my dad had a '97 and
now '98 explorer, and i swear, starting with the '97 model year, i think
ford started to leave a vacuum hose disconnected cause of this nasal type
whine that comes from the truck. we'll when i got the '98 windstar, it did
the same thing, so we knew it must be normal. it's most noticeable from
standstill to 10mph. and the '98 does it too. not sure what it is, but
something new was started in '97.

couldn't help you with all your problems, but hope this helps. let me know
what you find.

parker
st. louis
- -----Original Message-----
From: Daniel J. O'Shea
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Cc: dano ltx.com
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 11:12 AM
Subject: FTE Small - New '98 Ranger Questions


>
>Hi Everyone.
>
>I just received my '98 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L w/Auto and 3.73 LSD. I'm
>happy with the truck so far. I owned a '94 Toyota 4x4 previously, and
>I think the Ranger has a much less jarring ride, and the cabin is
>certainly quieter (the yota had more than its fair share of interior
>rattles).
>
>I have three issues that I'm a little concerned about. I looked
>through the mailing list archives (and an on-line TSB list) for any
>information but saw nothing that looked like a match. I am hoping the
>collective wisdom on this list will have an answer.
>
>- There is a high-pitched whine that I hear when I'm on the highway at
> 60-70MPH (~2200 RPM). The noise sounds suspiciously like the noise
> made by knobby tires, but I'm pretty sure it isn't them. I can
> reproduce the noise by cruising at a steady speed and lifting off
> the gas ever-so-slightly to coast a bit. Once the noise is present,
> if I give the truck a little more or a little less gas (not enough
> to change the speed) the noise goes away. It's only at that fine
> point of just barely coasting that the noise is present. It is
> really loud when coasting at a steady speed down an incline.
>
>- After driving for a while, when I come to a stop (at a light or in
> my garage). There is a different high-pitched noise that sounds
> like it's coming from the engine compartment. This one sounds
> 'warbley', like it might be produced by a vibration somewhere. It
> is sensitive to engine RPM and/or engine load. If I put the truck
> in neutral or put the AC on, the noise goes away. I hope to get a
> chance to put the parking brake on and pop the hood to check out
> where the sound is coming from.
>
>- Sometimes when slowly coming to a stop, right at the instant that
> the truck stops moving, I feel a 'thud' (thunk? can you feel a
> thud?) in the brake pedal similar to what it feel like when the
> automatic shifts, but more pronounced. Then, when I accelerate, the
> instant I put my foot on the gas, I feel it again. I'm pretty sure
> that this is something in the drivetrain. Is this a characteristic
> of the 5-speed AT? Is first gear really tiny? The strange thing
> is, it doesn't always happen when I stop, and if it doesn't happen
> when I stop, it doesn't happen when I take off.
>
>Has anyone else had any similar experiences with their Ranger? Any
>ideas would be most appreciated. I fear that if I take it to the
>dealer with no ideas, they'll say "What? I don't hear/feel anything."
>
>
>On another note:
>
>The order for the truck listed 4-wheel ABS at no charge. I thought
>only rear-wheel ABS was standard. Did Ford start shipping 4-wheel ABS
>standard? Does anyone know how I can tell for sure if, indeed, I have
>4-wheel or 2-wheel ABS? Just curious about this one.
>
>Also - do most people on this list also subscribe to the "97up" list?
>Which is the best list to post '98 Ranger questions to?
>
>
>Thanks in advance for the help (sorry about writing a book)! I found
>the BMW list invaluable for tips on my klunko 2002. I'm really
>excited that there is a list for my new baby too.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Dan
>dano ltx.com
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 18:21:22 -0500
From: Mike Fisher
Subject: Re: FTE Small - "Ranger Mystery Sudden Acceleration?"

My '90 SHO did this same thing. I was driving to work in Dallas traffic one
morning, when I decided to give it a little extra gas 8) to get in the lane
next to me. I planned to accelerate a little faster than normal, but I didn't
plan for what happened next. The engine instantly went wide open in first gear,
and in the couple of seconds before I had a chance to reach for the key, had
sent the tach needle off the end of the 8,000 RPM end. Fortunately there was
nobody in front of me, and I had time to turn the key off before reaching
ridiculous speeds in first gear. I pushed the clutch in, turned the key back
on, let the clutch out, and the car restarted and ran normally all the way to
the dealer. The tach needle was stuck at the 8,000+ mark.

When the shop was done with the car, they told me that the cruise control cable
had come loose and jammed the throttle wide open. They reattached it, reset
the tach and everything was fine from then on.

Mike Fisher
'97 AWD Mountaineer

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:45:47 -0700
From: "Alan Wilson"
Subject: Re: FTE Small - "Ranger Mystery Sudden Acceleration?"

At 06:21 PM 7/16/98 -0500, you wrote:

>
>When the shop was done with the car, they told me that the cruise control cable
>had come loose and jammed the throttle wide open. They reattached it, reset
>the tach and everything was fine from then on.
>
>Mike Fisher
>'97 AWD Mountaineer
>
- -------------
I always wondered if those cruise control systems ever malfunctioned. Now I
know. Thanks.
Alan Wilson


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:19:41 -0700
From: Pat Brown
Subject: FTE Small - Re:Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II

Jonathan Smith asked:

> Some background- I've got a 1989 Bronco II w/ the 2.9l V6. It's
> 2wd with a 5spd manual transmission. I'm looking at getting a small
> camper and I'll be pulling it with this vehicle.

[snip]
> 1. Can the truck pull this safely & without damage at close highway
> speeds (~60mph on freeways say)?

Depends on the weight. Pulling a trailer with a short-wheelbase
vehicle is always a challenge. With a manual transmission, your
bronco is rated to tow about 2000 lbs. Automatics are recommended
for towing up to about 5000 lbs (figures are from my 1987 B II users
manual, and vary with engine/transmission/rear axle ratio)

> 2. Will running the truck in 4th gear (manual says not to use
> overdrive) at these speeds injure the trans/engine?

This is primarily aimed at auto trans trucks. Just don't lug your
engine, you won't hurt it. You are more likely to suffer clutch
problems, again depending on how much weight you're pulling. With
a heavy trailer, the only way to get started is with lots of clutch
slippage.

>
> 3. Is there anything I can do beforehand to prep & protect my truck?
> It's got power brakes (antilock), but I don't think they're heavy
> duty. Any (major) danger of brake failure/lockup? I've never
> towed a trailer for any long distances (I've done some towing, not
> much) so I'm not sure how it's going to handle.

Again, depends on weight pulled. You can add electric brakes to
trailer, controlled by the truck. Your stock brakes >should
trailers up to 5000 lbs OK. Check in an RV-type buyers guide, it
would seem that above a certain weight trailer brakes would be
required, varying by state. If you are uncomfortable with your
brake performance, retrofit your trailer with brakes!

>
> I can't afford a second truck just for towing right now, so my
> Bronco's going to have to bear the load! :>

I would, in addition to a receiver-type hitch (class 2 or 3), get the
biggest radiator you can find at least 3 row core, preferably four.
It will be a lot cheaper than a new pair of heads. . .

>
> Oh- one more thing- it's got a factory installed "hitch" bumper- will
> this do (at least for now) or do I need to get a draw-tite type
> rig installed?

I'd recommend a receiver-type hitch, if your budget is REALLY tight
make sure the bumper hitch is rated for the weight of your trailer.

> Any tips/advice/web sites/etc. will be greatly appreciated!

Weigh your trailer! You can usually do this for a miniminal fee at
quarries, large landscape supply outfits, or possibly trucking co's.
Then, make sure your hitch can handle it. Get a BIG radiator! To
save your clutch, get 4.10 gears installed (you probably have 3.45's
or 3.73's)! Oh yea, have then go have fun!

ps - I move my boat (3000 lbs) around my driveway with my bronco II,
2.9l 5 speed - but I put it in 4 low, leaving the hubs unlocked. Not
enough room for my boat and my F-250 hooked together! I love the way
I can manuever the trailer with it, but I wouldn't tow anywhere
without a bigger radiator - the stock one is tiny! I added a Reese
3500 lb. receiver, it also accepts a standard 1 1/4" hitch mounted
bike rack.

Pat Brown
Sebastopol, California

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:23:18 -0500
From: Jonathan Smith
Subject: Re: FTE Small - Re:Towing w/ an 1989 Bronco II

Thanks for all the towing tips- I've got a little more info on the
trailer. I'd guesstimate the weight at ~1500 lbs (and that's probably
an over-estimate). I'll think I'm going to
add a Class III receiver & hitch ASAP. I may check on the radiator too.
Anything else I should know about? Would a "load distributing kit"
for the receiver be worth installing for a trailer this size?
Any good web sites on camper ownership/towing? Thanks again for
all the help!

Pat Brown wrote:
>
> Jonathan Smith asked:
>
> > Some background- I've got a 1989 Bronco II w/ the 2.9l V6. It's
> > 2wd with a 5spd manual transmission. I'm looking at getting a small
> > camper and I'll be pulling it with this vehicle.
>
> [snip]
> > 1. Can the truck pull this safely & without damage at close highway
> > speeds (~60mph on freeways say)?
>
> Depends on the weight. Pulling a trailer with a short-wheelbase
> vehicle is always a challenge. With a manual transmission, your
> bronco is rated to tow about 2000 lbs. Automatics are recommended
> for towing up to about 5000 lbs (figures are from my 1987 B II users
> manual, and vary with engine/transmission/rear axle ratio)
>
> > 2. Will running the truck in 4th gear (manual says not to use
> > overdrive) at these speeds injure the trans/engine?
>
> This is primarily aimed at auto trans trucks. Just don't lug your
> engine, you won't hurt it. You are more likely to suffer clutch
> problems, again depending on how much weight you're pulling. With
> a heavy trailer, the only way to get started is with lots of clutch
> slippage.
>
> >
> > 3. Is there anything I can do beforehand to prep & protect my truck?
> > It's got power brakes (antilock), but I don't think they're heavy
> > duty. Any (major) danger of brake failure/lockup? I've never
> > towed a trailer for any long distances (I've done some towing, not
> > much) so I'm not sure how it's going to handle.
>
> Again, depends on weight pulled. You can add electric brakes to
> trailer, controlled by the truck. Your stock brakes >should
> trailers up to 5000 lbs OK. Check in an RV-type buyers guide, it
> would seem that above a certain weight trailer brakes would be
> required, varying by state. If you are uncomfortable with your
> brake performance, retrofit your trailer with brakes!
>
> >
> > I can't afford a second truck just for towing right now, so my
> > Bronco's going to have to bear the load! :>
>
> I would, in addition to a receiver-type hitch (class 2 or 3), get the
> biggest radiator you can find at least 3 row core, preferably four.
> It will be a lot cheaper than a new pair of heads. . .
>
> >
> > Oh- one more thing- it's got a factory installed "hitch" bumper- will
> > this do (at least for now) or do I need to get a draw-tite type
> > rig installed?
>
> I'd recommend a receiver-type hitch, if your budget is REALLY tight
> make sure the bumper hitch is rated for the weight of your trailer.
>
> > Any tips/advice/web sites/etc. will be greatly appreciated!....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.