Return-Path:
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:48:00 -0700 (MST)
From: owner-fordtrucks-small-digest ListService.net (fordtrucks-small-digest)
To: fordtrucks-small-digest ListService.net
Subject: fordtrucks-small-digest V2 #43
Reply-To: fordtrucks-small ListService.net
Sender: owner-fordtrucks-small-digest ListService.net


fordtrucks-small-digest Wednesday, February 11 1998 Volume 02 : Number 043



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco 2
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
fordtrucks-small-digest-request listservice.net
with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

4.0L Higher Horsepower. [RandalDGazdecki eaton.com]
Re: 4.0L Higher Horsepower/Then some... [qzl0st tpc.natp.gmeds.com (EI - ]
Re: 4.0L Higher Horsepower. [Bryce ]
Pebble launiching Ranger [qzl0st tpc.natp.gmeds.com (EI - Michael Ioco)]
re: Pebble launiching Ranger [KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)]
Re: Pebble launiching Ranger [mark fitzgerald ]
Ranger 4 door CrewCab ["Bill A'Hearn" ]
Re: Pebble launiching Ranger [Diana Slyter ]
RE: Pebble launiching Ranger ["Roberson, John" ]
Re: Pebble launiching Ranger [Gardner ]
Re: fordtrucks-small-digest V2 #42 ["Robert Eberhardt"
4.0 L Specs ["Bryan Dann" ]
94 Ranger ["Chuck Margulies" ]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 10 Feb 98 08:34:14 EST
From: RandalDGazdecki eaton.com
Subject: 4.0L Higher Horsepower.

Most of you know this but, for 98 the 4.0L was redesigned with SOHC, but Germany couldn't make them fast enough for the Explorer demand so they scratched it as an option for the Ranger (maybe 99). It is rated 205HP and I hear it gets about 22mpg HWY in the Explorer.

Randy
randaldgazdecki eaton.com
Eaton Corporation, S.I.C.D.

"I'd rather be a failure at something
I enjoy than be a success at
something I hate."
-George Burns

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:11:48 -0500
From: qzl0st tpc.natp.gmeds.com (EI - Michael Ioco)
Subject: Re: 4.0L Higher Horsepower/Then some...

> From owner-fordtrucks-small ListService.net Tue Feb 10 08:40 EST 1998
> Date: 10 Feb 98 08:34:14 EST
> From: RandalDGazdecki eaton.com
> Subject: 4.0L Higher Horsepower.
> To: fordtrucks-small ListService.net
>
> Most of you know this but, for 98 the 4.0L was redesigned with SOHC, but
Germany couldn't make them fast enough for the Explorer demand so they scratched
it as an option for the Ranger (maybe 99). It is rated 205HP and I hear it gets
about 22mpg HWY in the Explorer.
>
This engine isn't really a "redesign," because the standard 4.0L is still
available on the Explorer. The mpg sounds a little off though. I see it listed
as 15/19, where as the standard 4.0L is 14/19. That means a lot more horses,
and a very small increase in gas mileage.

I wasn't aware that this engine was built in Germany though. I did hear that
the reason that the SOHC wasn't found in the Ranger was to maintain it's
"economic value." In other words, they don't want the Ranger to get too
expensive.

TOO LATE! I just got mine for 23K. But for that price, I didn't get courtesy
lights under the hood, in the glovebox, or on the vanity mirror
(mirror-singular!). The power window/lock switches that light up in the
Explorer, don't light up in the Ranger. I could go on and on.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Ranger, but I got so much more with the extra
$3000 that I spent on my 96 Explorer Sport, than what I got on my $23K
Ranger....

/me kicks the soapbox aside.....Thank you.


Mike
98 Ranger
97 F-150
96 Explorer (hers!)



------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:19:48 -0500
From: Bryce
Subject: Re: 4.0L Higher Horsepower.

Actually, the 4.0L SOHC was out before '98...the '97 Ranger Brochure even had a 4.0L SOHC listed as the engine for "the ultimate in Ranger performance". This wasn't the case (for reasons stated below), and the specs. given were for the 4.0L EFI enginge. It would be
nice though...

Bryce
Bryce's 4xFord Ranger Page
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.geocities.com/baja/2995


RandalDGazdecki eaton.com wrote:

> Most of you know this but, for 98 the 4.0L was redesigned with SOHC, but Germany couldn't make them fast enough for the Explorer demand so they scratched it as an option for the Ranger (maybe 99). It is rated 205HP and I hear it gets about 22mpg HWY in the Explorer.
>
> Randy
> randaldgazdecki eaton.com
> Eaton Corporation, S.I.C.D.
>
> "I'd rather be a failure at something
> I enjoy than be a success at
> something I hate."
> -George Burns
>
> +---------Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco 2--------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks-small listservice.net, |
> | List removal information is on the web site. |
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:49:25 -0500
From: qzl0st tpc.natp.gmeds.com (EI - Michael Ioco)
Subject: Pebble launiching Ranger

What's the deal with pebbles getting tossed around in the wheel wells of my new
98 Ranger?? I have the A/T tires, and I live on a dirt road. After crawling
down my road and pulling onto the main road, the pebbels work their way loose at
various speeds and bounce around inside the wheelwells. It's VERY loud, and
very annoying. Not something that can be ignored. I cringe everytime I hear
it. Passengers think we are being shot at!

Has anybody else came across this? I haven't even had the chance to peek inside
the wheels wells to see what it looks like in there. Is there a plastic liner
at all?? I know that can't be too good for the truck....

It's not avoidable either. I've tried a slow take-off once I hit the main road,
but the orcks don't work loose until they hit certain speeds. I have some 25mph
pebbles, some 50, and some 75. It's crazy!


Mike in Michigan

98 Ranger SC 4x4 ORP, Flareside, 235 A/T's on 16"chrome Tri-spokes


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:23:35, -0500
From: KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)
Subject: re: Pebble launiching Ranger

Mike,

Even my '98 4x2 with the all-season tires do it. The ATs will pick
up more. I bought aftermarket tires and wheels. P235/60R15s
Firestone SS10s. These are more of a street radial. They don't pick
up any rocks and give me better rain/dry traction than the all-
seasons. I don't have them on now cause of the snow. I guess you're
gonna have to live with it with the ATs.

Josh

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:04:26 -0800 (PST)
From: mark fitzgerald
Subject: Re: Pebble launiching Ranger

well...there's three solutions. Sweep the road of all pebbles and
rocks, switch over to less aggressive tires, or just live with it. the
underside should have a plastic liner there, and as long as your tires
are within your fenderwells no sheetmetal damage should occur. other
than that..i don't know what to tell ya.

Fitzy


- ---EI - Michael Ioco wrote:
>
>
> What's the deal with pebbles getting tossed around in the wheel
wells of my new
> 98 Ranger?? I have the A/T tires, and I live on a dirt road. After
crawling
> down my road and pulling onto the main road, the pebbels work their
way loose at
> various speeds and bounce around inside the wheelwells. It's VERY
loud, and
> very annoying. Not something that can be ignored. I cringe
everytime I hear
> it. Passengers think we are being shot at!
>
> Has anybody else came across this? I haven't even had the chance to
peek inside
> the wheels wells to see what it looks like in there. Is there a
plastic liner
> at all?? I know that can't be too good for the truck....
>
> It's not avoidable either. I've tried a slow take-off once I hit
the main road,
> but the orcks don't work loose until they hit certain speeds. I
have some 25mph
> pebbles, some 50, and some 75. It's crazy!
>
>
> Mike in Michigan
>
> 98 Ranger SC 4x4 ORP, Flareside, 235 A/T's on 16"chrome Tri-spokes
>
>
> +---------Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco
2--------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks-small listservice.net,
|
> | List removal information is on the web site.
|
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- ----------+
>

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:11:55 -0800
From: "Bill A'Hearn"
Subject: Ranger 4 door CrewCab

The Feb issue of Automotive mag sez that the 4 dr (crewcab) Ranger will be
sold as a 1999 model here and in S. America. Hopefully the SOHC 4.0L will
be available then......


Bill A'Hearn
1988 Ranger SuperCab 2.9L
1997 Explorer XLT 5.0L
1999 Ranger 4 dr 4.0L SOHC (Future)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:29:51 -0600 (CST)
From: Diana Slyter
Subject: Re: Pebble launiching Ranger

The Flintstone "wilderness a/t"s on mine do that too. When they go to tyre
heaven I'll be replacing them with something better.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dianas __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____
dianas primenet.com /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_ /
/ / \ / / / / /__ / \/ /___ /-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, EI - Michael Ioco wrote:

>
> What's the deal with pebbles getting tossed around in the wheel wells of my new
> 98 Ranger?? I have the A/T tires, and I live on a dirt road. After crawling
> down my road and pulling onto the main road, the pebbels work their way loose at
> various speeds and bounce around inside the wheelwells. It's VERY loud, and
> very annoying. Not something that can be ignored. I cringe everytime I hear
> it. Passengers think we are being shot at!
>
> Has anybody else came across this? I haven't even had the chance to peek inside
> the wheels wells to see what it looks like in there. Is there a plastic liner
> at all?? I know that can't be too good for the truck....
>
> It's not avoidable either. I've tried a slow take-off once I hit the main road,
> but the orcks don't work loose until they hit certain speeds. I have some 25mph
> pebbles, some 50, and some 75. It's crazy!
>
>
> Mike in Michigan
>
> 98 Ranger SC 4x4 ORP, Flareside, 235 A/T's on 16"chrome Tri-spokes
>
>
> +---------Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco 2--------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks-small listservice.net, |
> | List removal information is on the web site. |
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:47:32 -0500
From: "Roberson, John"
Subject: RE: Pebble launiching Ranger

I have a gravel driveway also and the Firestones on my '98 Explorer
Limited hold the stones and make it feel like a flat tire, especially
when it occurred on the same location on the 2 front wheels. Plastic
wells. I either pick them out or let 'em fly.
I love the truck anyway.

> ----------
> From: Diana Slyter[SMTP:dianas primenet.com]
> Reply To: fordtrucks-small ListService.net
> Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 1998 3:29 PM
> To: fordtrucks-small ListService.net
> Subject: Re: Pebble launiching Ranger
>
> The Flintstone "wilderness a/t"s on mine do that too. When they go to
> tyre
> heaven I'll be replacing them with something better.
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------
> dianas __ __ ____ ___
> ___ ____
> dianas primenet.com /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_
> /
> / / \ / / / / /__ / \/
> /___
> /---------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
>
> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, EI - Michael Ioco wrote:
>
> >
> > What's the deal with pebbles getting tossed around in the wheel
> wells of my new
> > 98 Ranger?? I have the A/T tires, and I live on a dirt road. After
> crawling
> > down my road and pulling onto the main road, the pebbels work their
> way loose at
> > various speeds and bounce around inside the wheelwells. It's VERY
> loud, and
> > very annoying. Not something that can be ignored. I cringe
> everytime I hear
> > it. Passengers think we are being shot at!
> >
> > Has anybody else came across this? I haven't even had the chance to
> peek inside
> > the wheels wells to see what it looks like in there. Is there a
> plastic liner
> > at all?? I know that can't be too good for the truck....
> >
> > It's not avoidable either. I've tried a slow take-off once I hit
> the main road,
> > but the orcks don't work loose until they hit certain speeds. I
> have some 25mph
> > pebbles, some 50, and some 75. It's crazy!
> >
> >
> > Mike in Michigan
> >
> > 98 Ranger SC 4x4 ORP, Flareside, 235 A/T's on 16"chrome Tri-spokes
> >
> >
> > +---------Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco
> 2--------+
> > | Send posts to fordtrucks-small listservice.net,
> |
> > | List removal information is on the web site.
> |
> > +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
> ----------+
> >
>
> +---------Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco
> 2--------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks-small listservice.net,
> |
> | List removal information is on the web site.
> |
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
> ----------+
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:10:32 -0500
From: Gardner
Subject: Re: Pebble launiching Ranger

MR JOSH J TENNEY wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Even my '98 4x2 with the all-season tires do it. The ATs will pick
> up more. I bought aftermarket tires and wheels. P235/60R15s
> Firestone SS10s. These are more of a street radial. They don't pick
> up any rocks and give me better rain/dry traction than the all-
> seasons. I don't have them on now cause of the snow. I guess you're
> gonna have to live with it with the ATs.
>
> Josh
> +---------Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer & Bronco 2--------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks-small listservice.net, |
> | List removal information is on the web site. |
> +---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+

How come I have(HAD) the same problems with Firestone Firehawks on my
Ranger splash. They pickup everything!
Not a problem now since I traded the truck in on a 1994 Ford LIGHTNING!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:32:28 -0500
From: "Robert Eberhardt"
Subject: Re: fordtrucks-small-digest V2 #42

All of the original Ford 4.0L were rated at 160 HP. They make between 220 &
225 ft/lb torque. The new 4.0L SOHC V6 is rated at 205 HP but it hasn't
found its way into the Ranger yet. I had a '94 Ranger STX subercab with
4.0L, 5-speed manual, and 3.55:1 limited slip axel. I averaged 18 mpg city
and 24 mpg highway (best of 27 mpg). I calculated my mileage with every fill
up and didn't notice any difference when I added a hard Leer bed cover after
a year. Unless Ford changed the brakes from '94 to '95 you didn't lock them
up. I always felt a slight pulse when my rear ABS activated. It remains
pretty quiet though. I've driven GM, Ford, & Dodge ABS equipped vehicles for
5 years now and the Ford gave the least feedback at the pedal. In rain you
will have to step on the brakes pretty hard to get it to activate. If you
are unsure if it is working, try it in an empty parking lot first. That way
if they aren't you won't hit anything when the back-end comes around. You'll
probably find they are working though. You should have an amber ABS light on
the dash that will light when you first start it. If it doesn't light or it
doesn't go off then there is a problem. I loved my Ranger but had to trade
it in when my family size increased from single.

Robert

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 14:38:05 -0500
>From: "Patrick M. Frazer"
>Subject: Bought a Ranger, have a few Q's
>
>Hi guys & gals-
>
>I just bought a '95 Ranger XLT supercab with the 4.0L V6. So far, I
>love it. Just a couple of questions:
>
> - What's the horsepower rating on the 4.0L? People have asked, and I
>don't know.
>
> - I just calculated my mileage for the first time and got 15.7 MPG with
>about 80% city driving. Sound normal? I was hoping for better, but it
>*is* a truck and it was alcohol-laden winter gas. (Unavoidable in
>northern Ohio) How much does a tonneau cover help mileage?
>
> - I recently tried some quick stops on a wet, slushy parking lot but I
>didn't feel pulsation in the pedal that would tell me the rear ABS was
>kicking in. Is that just the way it is since it's a rear-only setup?
>How can I tell if the ABS activates?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>- -Patrick
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:56:07 -0500
From: "Bryan Dann"
Subject: 4.0 L Specs

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BD365D.ED124D60
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

What's the horsepower rating on the 4.0L? People have asked, and I
> don't know.

My '97 4.0L is rated 160hp 4200rpm and 220 lbs/ft of torque =
3000rpm...I'd
assume that the '95 is similar (though at one point, I recall, the 4.0L
made a hp jump from some kind of design change...anybody know the what =
and
when of this??)


My 93 Ranger Auto 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,500 rpm and 220 lbs/ft of =
torque 2,200 rpm (with a 5 spd it is rated 220lbs/ft 2,500 rpm)

The 94 Ranger Auto 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,000 rpm and 220 lbs/ft of =
torque 2,800 rpm (with a 5 spd it is rated 225lbs/ft 2,500 rpm)

The 95 Ranger 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,200 rpm and 220 lbs/ft of torque =
3,000 rpm (does not breakdown the diff. bwt. auto and 5 spd)

The 98 Ranger 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,200 rpm and 225 lbs/ft of torque =
2,750 rpm (does not breakdown the diff. bwt. auto and 5 spd)

- ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BD365D.ED124D60
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable






http-equiv=3DContent-Type>



What's the horsepower rating on the 4.0L?  People have asked, =
and=20
I> don't know.My '97 4.0L is rated 160hp 4200rpm and 220 =
lbs/ft=20
of torque 3000rpm...I'dassume that the '95 is similar (though at =
one point,=20
I recall, the 4.0Lmade a hp jump from some kind of design =
change...anybody=20
know the what andwhen of this??) 
 
My 93 Ranger Auto 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,500 rpm and 220 lbs/ft =
of=20
torque 2,200 rpm (with a 5 spd it is rated 220lbs/ft   2,500 =
rpm)
 
The 94 Ranger Auto 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,000 rpm and 220 lbs/ft =
of=20
torque 2,800 rpm (with a 5 spd it is rated 225lbs/ft   2,500 =
rpm)
 

The 95 Ranger 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,200 rpm and 220 lbs/ft of =
torque =20
3,000 rpm (does not breakdown the diff. bwt. auto and 5 spd)
 

The 98 Ranger 4.0 L is rated 160 hp 4,200 rpm and 225 lbs/ft of =
torque =20
2,750 rpm (does not breakdown the diff. bwt. auto and 5=20
spd)

- ------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BD365D.ED124D60--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:04:04 -0600
From: "Chuck Margulies"
Subject: 94 Ranger

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BD365F.096EEEE0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a 94 Ranger P/U with a 4.0L and an automatic transmission. I am =
planning on taking the truck to California and having extensive engine =
work ie(supercharger, headers,cam, etc). This conversion should produce =
297 HP at the Flywheel. My suspicion is the automatic won't be able to =
take the load of the engine. Does anyone know of a Good automatic =
transmission place and is there a High stall speed torque converter made =
for this engine??

My E-MAIL is margulie flash.net.

Thanks!

- ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01BD365F.096EEEE0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable






http-equiv=3DContent-Type>



I have a 94 Ranger P/U with a 4.0L =
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.