Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.128a; list small-list); Thu, 04 May 2000 01:37:21 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:37:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: small-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list Digest V2000 #63
Precedence: bulk

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Small Chassis Truck Mailing List

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
small-list Digest Tue, 02 May 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 063

In This Issue:
Got my Bronco II back.. now the saga continues.
Re: Differential "blow-off" leak?
Re: the saga continues.
Re: the saga continues.
Re: the saga continues.
7.5" carrier ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Stephen Bozzone" rockzone.com>
Subject: Got my Bronco II back.. now the saga continues.
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 23:08:52 -0400


Got my truck back from the transmission shop. Got the Transgo shiftkit installed. Shifts smoothly, very nice.
1600 dollars later, here i am.

On my way to work, the car stalled. I believe it was due to one of the negative ccables slipping off the terminal
(small reoccurring problem due to jerry rigging).

Had to get a jump, lots of fun. Turns out my battery was just completely DEAD. New battery took care of that
problem. (Thanks for all the help on that)

I also found a spark plug wire (brand new) had come to rest on the driver's side valve cover, next to the oil filler
spout. I don't know how i missed this. It was burnt pretty bad and was down to the wire.

So when I finally got a jump, i attempted to start the truck, but all i got was a quick chug and then a belch from
the intake. I fiddled with the neg. cable some more and the jerry rigged the spark plug wire (wrapped it in a
sticker - makeshift).

Finally got it home eventually. Installed new battery, started fine. Then after trying to test the TPS with a partner,
got the throttle to WOT, dropped it down, and it died. Started back up ok.

Then I went to hook up my amplifier and subwoofer (which doesn't work now either - go figure). Then I go to start
the car, try to start the car, turns over but doesn't start. Funny thing though.. no power steering either! I wait a bit,
pull the codes (got 14, 15, 63), and try to start it. Starts up fine.

opened it to WOT in park. RPM gauge on the way down jumped quite dramatically, as if it almost shut off. took it
for a short but slightly hard drive. Come back and the temp gauge is on O. O for "oh S #$".

Anyhow, any comments? Would the TPS and that bad plug wire cause a lot of this? I'm going to top off the
coolant tomorrow and see what it does. I'm burning coolant quite significantly. White, sweet smell constantly
from the exhaust. No water in the oil, yet.

Sigh, what a drag. I'm already in debt big time, and it's still not working. As my mom said "It would be nice after
you spent all this money if your car would work" I agree (even though i know it was just the tranny they fixed).

please help, i really need it. thank you,

Steve
Stephen Bozzone
Administrative Director - http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.rockzone.com
ICQ: 196843 / AIM: RudeSkam69
"Don't ask me to justify my life..." - Bad Religion



------------------------------

From: "Joe Merchak" eclipse.net>
Subject: Re: Differential "blow-off" leak?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 23:25:20 -0400

I had this problem after I did some serious off road in a lot of mud. It
seems the vent tube can get plugged very easily and when pressure build it
blows lube everywhere. I was cleaning it for days. Just check you tube for
clogs and see if it continues.

-----Original Message-----
From: small-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:small-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Justin Kraynack
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 10:53 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [small-list] Differential "blow-off" leak?


I have a 1990 Bronco II with 183k. Recently, I notice a leak behind the
drivers side door. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be comming from a
blow-off tube on the rear axle. It dosen't leak every day and it's not a
hugh spot. I checked the level tonight and had to add a bit more lube.
Anyone know why this would be happening? I can only imagine that it's
building up pressure and having to vent through the tube. Any ideas
welcome!

==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

Date: 3 May 00 20:38:15 EDT
From: Tim Turner netscape.net>
Subject: Re: the saga continues.

"Stephen Bozzone" rockzone.com> wrote:
>
> Got my truck back from the transmission shop. Got the Transgo shiftkit
installed. Shifts smoothly, very nice.

That's a start...

> 1600 dollars later, here i am.

Ouch. Transmission work never comes cheap does it?

>
> On my way to work, the car stalled. I believe it was due to one of the
negative ccables slipping off the terminal
> (small reoccurring problem due to jerry rigging).

'Usually' they'll keep running if the alternator is OK when the cable is
removed or loses connection, but it's hard on the alt. and electronics as the
Voltage skyrockets without the feedback from the battery.

> Had to get a jump, lots of fun. Turns out my battery was just completely
DEAD. New battery took care of that
> problem. (Thanks for all the help on that)

Might want to double check the alternator again just to make sure a new
problem hasn't cropped up.

>
> I also found a spark plug wire (brand new) had come to rest on the driver's
side valve cover, next to the oil filler
> spout. I don't know how i missed this. It was burnt pretty bad and was down
to the wire.

Single wires are available at some parts houses; beats buying a new set!

> Then I went to hook up my amplifier and subwoofer (which doesn't work now
either - go figure).

Hmm.. just out of curiousity did all this start AFTER the tranny was out or
has it been an ongoing thing? If it all started after the repair then I'd be
looking for a ground wire that didn't get hooked up (easy to miss sometimes)
or other errors during the re-installation of the tranny.

> pull the codes (got 14, 15, 63), and try to start it. Starts up fine.

Got the definitions handy? I think 14 is ignition related but I'm drawing a
blank at the moment. (been swamped with A/C and odd electrical work
lately..)

>
> opened it to WOT in park. RPM gauge on the way down jumped quite
dramatically, as if it almost shut off.

Up and down a few times on it's way down? Would indicate an erratic signal to
the gauge if so and usually caused by distributor/module or rarely a bad
ignition coil.

took it
> for a short but slightly hard drive. Come back and the temp gauge is on O. O
for "oh S #$".

O of the 'normal' or the serious O(ver temp)? I presume the Hot O. ;-)

>
> Anyhow, any comments? Would the TPS and that bad plug wire cause a lot of
this?

The TPS might cause some stalling, the wire *might* cause a backfire in the
carb under load but usually just a miss.

> I'm burning coolant quite significantly. White, sweet smell constantly
> from the exhaust.

Oh damn... :-(

> No water in the oil, yet.

Might not get any either; basically around the head you have oil, coolant and
cylinders. A leak will go between any combination it chooses; if it's
coolant to cylinder the coolant gets drawn into the cylinder and then burned
rather than being deposited into the oil.

> Sigh, what a drag.

Said that right! Your luck doesn't sound any better than mine.

> please help, i really need it. thank you,

On the coolant burning question I rarely advise this BUT... knowing broke as
well as anyone "K&W Block Seal" works wonders IF the directions are followed
to the letter; seems to last longer if no anti-freeze is added after the
initial 24 Hrs. also. (Kept a Honda going with this stuff at 500 Mile
intervals for about a year before the water pump failed from lack of
lubrication.) If you go this route plan on spending lots of $$ later to
replace everything in the cooling system plus whatever $$ to actually fix the
underlying problem. (Cracked head? common on the 2.9 and not unknown on the
4.0) If you're thinking of doing the heads yourself it's not TOO bad a job if
you're used to DIY work; just make sure to label/separate evrything as you go
if/as needed and have the heads checked everyway possible at a good reputable
machine shop.

On the running problem I'd say to get the coolant burning fixed first to
eliminate that as a cause, but sounds like a failing ignition module or
possibly the pick-up coil in the distributor.

Feel free to e-mail me direct manicmechanicnc netscape.net with questions or
even call my mobile (10:30-22:00 EST please!) 910-232-5540 if it's urgent.

Tim

____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://webmail.netscape.com.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Bozzone" rockzone.com>
Subject: Re: the saga continues.
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:50:06 -0400

Tim,

First off, thank you for such a terrific and well thought out reply.

I realized i hadn't identified the truck: 1988 Bronco II Eddie Bauer auto
everything.

The problems existed before the tranny rebuild.

The codes pretty much point to irratic idle and problems with the TPS.

14 is ignition I believe.

I have used a brown gunky napa sealer in the radiator some months ago. I
have sealer in a gray bottle now. The brown gunk is all over the cap.
Would it be safe to put the other one in?

Would bad heads affect compression? I want to do a compression test before
I decide to pull the heads. If compression is bad me and my friend are
going to put a junk-engine in there. I'll run this one into the ground,
meanwhile i'll get another 2.9, keep it in my garage and prep it for
install.

It's a shame, i spent so much money and it's still not fixed. If I had a
dollar for everyone that said "just get rid of it". Maybe they were right,
but I love this truck, I know all it's odds and ends, and this is my
project/experience/learning car (it's my first).

Thanks for the contact offer, i just may take you up on that at some point.
Very generous of you.

Please let me know if you need anything from me (see resume -
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://rockzone.com/mud/resume.shtml),

Best,
Stephen Bozzone
Administrative Director - http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.rockzone.com
ICQ: 196843 / AIM: RudeSkam69
"Don't ask me to justify my life..." - Bad Religion

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Turner netscape.net>
To: ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 8:38 PM
Subject: [small-list] Re: the saga continues.


> "Stephen Bozzone" rockzone.com> wrote:
> >
> > Got my truck back from the transmission shop. Got the Transgo shiftkit
> installed. Shifts smoothly, very nice.
>
> That's a start...
>
> > 1600 dollars later, here i am.
>
> Ouch. Transmission work never comes cheap does it?
>
> >
> > On my way to work, the car stalled. I believe it was due to one of the
> negative ccables slipping off the terminal
> > (small reoccurring problem due to jerry rigging).
>
> 'Usually' they'll keep running if the alternator is OK when the cable is
> removed or loses connection, but it's hard on the alt. and electronics as
the
> Voltage skyrockets without the feedback from the battery.
>
> > Had to get a jump, lots of fun. Turns out my battery was just completely
> DEAD. New battery took care of that
> > problem. (Thanks for all the help on that)
>
> Might want to double check the alternator again just to make sure a new
> problem hasn't cropped up.
>
> >
> > I also found a spark plug wire (brand new) had come to rest on the
driver's
> side valve cover, next to the oil filler
> > spout. I don't know how i missed this. It was burnt pretty bad and was
down
> to the wire.
>
> Single wires are available at some parts houses; beats buying a new set!
>
> > Then I went to hook up my amplifier and subwoofer (which doesn't work
now
> either - go figure).
>
> Hmm.. just out of curiousity did all this start AFTER the tranny was out
or
> has it been an ongoing thing? If it all started after the repair then I'd
be
> looking for a ground wire that didn't get hooked up (easy to miss
sometimes)
> or other errors during the re-installation of the tranny.
>
> > pull the codes (got 14, 15, 63), and try to start it. Starts up fine.
>
> Got the definitions handy? I think 14 is ignition related but I'm drawing
a
> blank at the moment. (been swamped with A/C and odd electrical work
> lately..)
>
> >
> > opened it to WOT in park. RPM gauge on the way down jumped quite
> dramatically, as if it almost shut off.
>
> Up and down a few times on it's way down? Would indicate an erratic
signal to
> the gauge if so and usually caused by distributor/module or rarely a bad
> ignition coil.
>
> took it
> > for a short but slightly hard drive. Come back and the temp gauge is on
O. O
> for "oh S #$".
>
> O of the 'normal' or the serious O(ver temp)? I presume the Hot O. ;-)
>
> >
> > Anyhow, any comments? Would the TPS and that bad plug wire cause a lot
of
> this?
>
> The TPS might cause some stalling, the wire *might* cause a backfire in
the
> carb under load but usually just a miss.
>
> > I'm burning coolant quite significantly. White, sweet smell constantly
> > from the exhaust.
>
> Oh damn... :-(
>
> > No water in the oil, yet.
>
> Might not get any either; basically around the head you have oil, coolant
and
> cylinders. A leak will go between any combination it chooses; if it's
> coolant to cylinder the coolant gets drawn into the cylinder and then
burned
> rather than being deposited into the oil.
>
> > Sigh, what a drag.
>
> Said that right! Your luck doesn't sound any better than mine.
>
> > please help, i really need it. thank you,
>
> On the coolant burning question I rarely advise this BUT... knowing broke
as
> well as anyone "K&W Block Seal" works wonders IF the directions are
followed
> to the letter; seems to last longer if no anti-freeze is added after the
> initial 24 Hrs. also. (Kept a Honda going with this stuff at 500 Mile
> intervals for about a year before the water pump failed from lack of
> lubrication.) If you go this route plan on spending lots of $$ later to
> replace everything in the cooling system plus whatever $$ to actually fix
the
> underlying problem. (Cracked head? common on the 2.9 and not unknown on
the
> 4.0) If you're thinking of doing the heads yourself it's not TOO bad a
job if
> you're used to DIY work; just make sure to label/separate evrything as you
go
> if/as needed and have the heads checked everyway possible at a good
reputable
> machine shop.
>
> On the running problem I'd say to get the coolant burning fixed first to
> eliminate that as a cause, but sounds like a failing ignition module or
> possibly the pick-up coil in the distributor.
>
> Feel free to e-mail me direct manicmechanicnc netscape.net with questions
or
> even call my mobile (10:30-22:00 EST please!) 910-232-5540 if it's
urgent.
>
> Tim
>
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://webmail.netscape.com.
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
> message.


------------------------------

From: "Brian A" hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: the saga continues.
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:08:35 GMT




>It's a shame, i spent so much money and it's still not fixed. If I had a
>dollar for everyone that said "just get rid of it". Maybe they were right,
>but I love this truck, I know all it's odds and ends, and this is my
>project/experience/learning car (it's my first).
>

if i had a dollar for everythime i heard that i would be driving an
excursion off the interest. and would use this P.O.S. Bro II to drive back
and forth to it. :)


Brian
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www2.webshoppe.net/users/briana/pictures.htm

________________________________________________________________________


------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 23:34:30 -0700
From: "Jon,Jody" direct.ca>
Subject: 7.5" carrier ?

Can a 3.08 L/S carrier from an '81 Mustang be adapted to fit 3.73 gears
in an '84 Bronco II?....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.