Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.128a; list small-list); Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:02:01 -0500 (EST)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:02:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: small-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: small-list Digest V2000 #29
Precedence: bulk

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Small Chassis Truck Mailing List

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
small-list Digest Sun, 12 Mar 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 029

In This Issue:
Re: Man, I am the target
Re: 15.1 MPG!
Re: 97 5.0L Explorer
Re: 97 5.0L Explorer
Re: Man, I am the target
Better mpg with Higher Diff Ratio?
Re: Better mpg with Higher Diff Ratio?
Re: Ford Escape
Fire Injectors
Re: 15.1 MPG!
Speedo gears and Better mpg with Higher Diff Ratio?
Re: Ford Escape

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:12:17 +0000
From: Tim Curran gte.net>
Subject: Re: Man, I am the target

Actually it should be the other way around! We can't seem to stay out of the way
of everybody else, I have yet to cause an accident, the only damage I've inflicted
was due to a little off roading. In all actuality however you'd probably be best off
running into me because I don't let things go to the insurance company unless the
damage is over $100.... so far only one claim has gone to insurance and that was
for when my windshield got smashed out, that cost me $100 deductible. Most of
the other accidents I could see there wasn't damage outside of bent bolts and I'm
usually in a hurry so it's not worth getting into accident reports.... now if I were
driving a 2000 Ranger, that would be a different story, there'd be an accident
report every time a shopping cart smashed into its bumper! :oP

>
>
> From: "Mike Haight" home.com>
> Subject: Re: Man, I am the target
> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 05:23:59 -0500
>
> Guys like you and Adam should send out your daily itinerary on this NG
> so that the rest of us can stay out of your way!


------------------------------

From: "Joe Merchak" eclipse.net>
Subject: Re: 15.1 MPG!
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:38:17 -0500

Thanks....

-----Original Message-----
From: small-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:small-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of James Steele
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2000 9:06 PM
To: small-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [small-list] Re: 15.1 MPG!


Joe,

You notice he has modified the engine with headers, injectors, a chip,
etc., all of which tends to help performance in the mid to higher engine
speeds. Then he has much larger rear tires, which drastically reduce the
effective ratio of the 4.11s to probably near the low to mid 3.00s.
Whenever you hear of someone using a 4 series rear ratio, look carefully at
the size tire they're running. You'll almost always find a MUCH larger
tire, unless you are dealing with a vehicle built for acceleration, i.e.,
drag racing, or a purpose-built off-road vehicle.

>
>I would like someone to explain how his gas went up. I have a 99 Ranger
>with 4.10 rears and my gas mileage sucks compared to my friends who has 3
>something rears (not sure which one).
>

______________________________________________________

==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:31:51 -0500
From: David Cooley bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: 97 5.0L Explorer

At 11:08 PM 3/11/00, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>That's awesome. I want to take some pics of the little baby bronco and
>show them off too. You might like to see the FT-901DM that works as my
>mobile rig. (I know that it's Japanese, but it is an older serviceable
>rig that has a memory. A necessity for mobile CW!)
>
>How about a shot of those headers?


Page has been redone and the header pics are added. They aren't the best,
as the room is limited to see them on the engine...

Also changed it so it's all thumbnails until you WANT to look at the larger
pic... loads faster!


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================


------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:33:29 -0500
From: David Cooley bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: 97 5.0L Explorer

Almost forgot...
The direct link to the page has changed to:
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://n5xmt.homestead.com/files/Explorer.html
Or access it from the main page at: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://n5xmt.homestead.com/



At 11:08 PM 3/11/00, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>That's awesome. I want to take some pics of the little baby bronco and
>show them off too. You might like to see the FT-901DM that works as my
>mobile rig. (I know that it's Japanese, but it is an older serviceable
>rig that has a memory. A necessity for mobile CW!)
>
>How about a shot of those headers?


===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================


------------------------------

From: "Mike Haight" home.com>
Subject: Re: Man, I am the target
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 15:57:03 -0500

Might be so but it would seem that, as a magnet does, you draw them to
you. I would not want to be around you. HaHa! Really, good luck--you
need it!

Take Care and Have a Good Day.
CUL8R, Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Curran" gte.net>
To: ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2000 5:12 AM
Subject: [small-list] Re: Man, I am the target


> Actually it should be the other way around! We can't seem to stay
out of the way
> of everybody else, I have yet to cause an accident, the only damage
I've inflicted
> was due to a little off roading. In all actuality however you'd
probably be best off
> running into me because I don't let things go to the insurance
company unless the
> damage is over $100.... so far only one claim has gone to insurance
and that was
> for when my windshield got smashed out, that cost me $100
deductible. Most of
> the other accidents I could see there wasn't damage outside of bent
bolts and I'm
> usually in a hurry so it's not worth getting into accident
reports.... now if I were
> driving a 2000 Ranger, that would be a different story, there'd be
an accident
> report every time a shopping cart smashed into its bumper! :oP
>
> >
> >
> > From: "Mike Haight" home.com>
> > Subject: Re: Man, I am the target
> > Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 05:23:59 -0500
> >
> > Guys like you and Adam should send out your daily itinerary on
this NG
> > so that the rest of us can stay out of your way!
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
> message.
>


------------------------------

From: Blest25913 aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:38:17 EST
Subject: Better mpg with Higher Diff Ratio?

<<<<<< with 4.10 rears and my gas mileage sucks compared to my friends who has 3
something rears (not sure which one).>>>>>>>

I was puzzled, too. It (the mpg) should have gone down with the higher ratio diff. But I think its because of what he said next: that this was all city driving. Maybe with the higher ratio around town the engine could actually run more in its torque range and have less lugging, and hence, better gas mileage. On the highway the mpg would definitely go down.

Ron Trampe



------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:13:13 -0500
From: David Cooley bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Better mpg with Higher Diff Ratio?

At 05:38 PM 3/12/00, you wrote:
><<<<<< >Ranger
> with 4.10 rears and my gas mileage sucks compared to my friends who has 3
> something rears (not sure which one).>>>>>>>
>
>I was puzzled, too. It (the mpg) should have gone down with the higher
>ratio diff. But I think its because of what he said next: that this was
>all city driving. Maybe with the higher ratio around town the engine could
>actually run more in its torque range and have less lugging, and hence,
>better gas mileage. On the highway the mpg would definitely go down.


I'm also wondering if the speedo gear was replaced... If not, the odometer
will read more miles than actually travelled and the illusion will be that
MPG increased.

===========================================================
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMTbellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMTKQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
===========================================================


------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:10:36 -0500
From: Ken Payne ford-trucks.com>
Subject: Re: Ford Escape

At 08:30 PM 3/11/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any new information on the Ford Escape?
>Any opinions????

Have you seen the Ford press release in the news section
of the web site?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/news/index.html

Ken Payne
FTE Grand Poobah



------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:41:50 -0800
From: Richard pacbell.net>
Subject: Fire Injectors

CUL8R, Mike wrote -----------------------------------------------------------------

Another plug that did not hang around long was called FIRE INJECTORS.
I used/put these in my 75 Jeep/CJ5 back in 1976-1981 and were still
running great when I got rid of the jeep. They did not have any
protruding electrode. It was one large firing into the chamber. They
worked great for me back then. Does anyone remember them and know
what happened to them (why their demise)?

My reply -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our loss of the great lamented Fire Injectors was due to a disagreement between the Famous
Scientist of the Independent Testing Laboratory and old Mr. Warshawski, who owned the JC
Whitney Company.
The scientist had felt abused by Warshawski, who paid his Laboratory very poorly and kept
driving him to produce more and more ad copy under the heading "A Famous Scientist Writes,"
long a mainstay of the J.C. Whitney and Warshawski catalogs. The Scientist threatened to leave
if Warshawski didn't lighten up on him. Warshawski, a man who ran his company the way he saw
fit, regardless of how his customers felt about what they'd bought, gave him no consideration
at all. Therefore, the Famous Scientist broke off all ties,and took the Fire Injectors with
him. Neither have ever been seen since. It has been rumored that the Scientist also took the
Amazing Wheel Balancing Rings and some of the Motor Honey.

All has not been lost, however: we still can read a publication which offers the Magic
Pellets, Magnetic Fuel Enrichers, and different varieties of high-tech computer chips for
engine and transmission, providing us with much discussion and entertainment even today. It
seems like only yesterday that I read between those pages, "Replace your power-wasting stock
mechanical fan with this thermostatically switched electric fan." That copy was on the page
facing "Replace your power-wasting electric fan with this mechanical fan."

Richard


------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:14:07 -0800
From: Adam McLaughlin jps.net>
Subject: Re: 15.1 MPG!

What are considered mid to high engine speeds? I have never, ever run my engine
beyond 3000 RPM. Is this a mid to higher speed?

I am told that I am sacrificing power here, but I would rather have an engine
last me forvever than to light then up whenever I wanted.



Adam

Joe,

>
> You notice he has modified the engine with headers, injectors, a chip,
> etc., all of which tends to help performance in the mid to higher engine
> speeds. Then he has much larger rear tires, which drastically reduce the
> effective ratio of the 4.11s to probably near the low to mid 3.00s.
> Whenever you hear of someone using a 4 series rear ratio, look carefully at
> the size tire they're running. You'll almost always find a MUCH larger
> tire, unless you are dealing with a vehicle built for acceleration, i.e.,
> drag racing, or a purpose-built off-road vehicle.
>
> >
> >I would like someone to explain how his gas went up. I have a 99 Ranger
> >with 4.10 rears and my gas mileage sucks compared to my friends who has 3
> >something rears (not sure which one).
> >
>


------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:16:23 -0800
From: Adam McLaughlin jps.net>
Subject: Speedo gears and Better mpg with Higher Diff Ratio?

Yes, The speedo gear has been re-callibrated. It is within 1 mile per hour of
dad's 1998 Ford Taurus. We ran them side by side at 30, 45 and 60 MPH. It never
varies more than 1 MPH. I would consider that pretty accurate.

Adam

David Cooley wrote:

> At 05:38 PM 3/12/00, you wrote:
> ><<<<<< > >Ranger
> > with 4.10 rears and my gas mileage sucks compared to my friends who has 3
> > something rears (not sure which one).>>>>>>>
> >
> >I was puzzled, too. It (the mpg) should have gone down with the higher
> >ratio diff. But I think its because of what he said next: that this was
> >all city driving. Maybe with the higher ratio around town the engine could
> >actually run more in its torque range and have less lugging, and hence,
> >better gas mileage. On the highway the mpg would definitely go down.
>
> I'm also wondering if the speedo gear was replaced... If not, the odometer
> will read more miles than actually travelled and the illusion will be that
> MPG increased.
>
> ===========================================================
> David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMTbellsouth.net
> Packet: N5XMTKQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
> We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!
> ===========================================================
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listarford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of the
> message.


------------------------------

From: JIMBO01947aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:03:03 EST
Subject: Re: Ford Escape

In a message dated 3/12/00 8:20:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kpayneford-trucks.com writes:

<< >Does anyone have any new information on the Ford Escape?
>Any opinions????

Have you seen the Ford press release in the news section
of the web site?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/news/index.html

Ken Payne
FTE Grand Poobah >>

It would seem that Fords timing is pretty good with the fuel prices the way
they are now. They should sell a lot of these "modernized" BII's.

For myself, I like a full frame and the solid front suspension of the Ranger
and BII's.
I now have a "90" Ranger with 264,000 miles and am looking for a BII that is
in good condition.

My .02
Jim H

------------------------------

End of small-list Digest V2000 #29
**********************************
----------------------------------------------------------
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Small Chassic Truck Mailing List
Covering the Ranger, Bronco II, Exploer and Aerostar

Send posts to small-listford-trucks.com

If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing
list, send an email to:

listarford-trucks.com

with the words "unsubscribe small-list" in the subject of
the message.

Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com
----------------------------------------------------------

....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.