Return-Path:
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:31:25 -0600 (MDT)
From: owner-fordtrucks-digest ListService.net (fordtrucks-digest)
To: fordtrucks-digest ListService.net
Subject: fordtrucks-digest V1 #6
Reply-To: fordtrucks ListService.net
Sender: owner-fordtrucks-digest ListService.net


fordtrucks-digest Thursday, August 21 1997 Volume 01 : Number 006



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1979 And Older Trucks Digest
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
fordtrucks-digest-request listservice.net
with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Harmonic Balancer ["Edward Dunmyre" ]
Re: 76 F100 Question [Tom Hogan ]
IDing my tranny [Jesus Cardoso ]
Pictures & Coils ["Jim Strigas" ]
Re: IDing my tranny ["Jim Strigas" ]
Re: 76 F100 Question [Don Grossman ]
Re: IDing my tranny [Don Grossman ]
Re: IDing my tranny ["George Shepherd" ]
Re: 300 to 302 conversion [Schottsweb webtv.net (George Schott)]
Re: Drum Brakes - Help! [Bj2797 aol.com]
AOD 4 Speed [Tom Hogan ]
Re: IDing my tranny [Jesus Cardoso ]
Re: Pictures & Coils [Ken Payne ]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:41:32 -0400
From: "Edward Dunmyre"
Subject: Harmonic Balancer

Thank you one and all, for the help. Got some sharp minds on this
list. My son picked up a 351M balancer at a scrap yard for $25.00. Most
used parts places would'nt sell it seperate, said it's hard to sell the
whole motor with it missing. I WILL use the proper tool next time, this
is my first rebuild. I'm learning alot,"the hard way".
Thanks once more
Eddie
- --


Hang on tight, life's a bumpy ride!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:44:36 -0700
From: Tom Hogan
Subject: Re: 76 F100 Question

>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:22:01 -0700
>From: Don Grossman
>Subject: Re: 76 F100 Question
>
>Justin Bair wrote:
>>
>> All Two wheel drive ford trucks 1/2 - 1 ton
>> generally have coil springs. all pre 79 1/2 ton 4x4's had front coils.
>> all pre 79' 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's had leaf springs.
>> Justin
>
>Except for the supercab's. The SuperCab was built on the F-250 chassis
>and had a leafspring front end. The first year for the coil was the 65'
>BTW.

Do you mean two wheel drives or 4x4's? I have a 76 F-150 SuperCab two
wheel drive and it has coil springs in front.

Tom H.


------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:39:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jesus Cardoso
Subject: IDing my tranny

Howdy!

I hope someone can help me. I am try to identify the type of
transmission my truck has ('63 F100, 292 Y-block, 3-speed, LWB Flareside).
All I have been able to find on the casing is as follows:
on the rear of the transmission: C3AR-7A040 with a large 'E' next
to the code
on the front of the transmission: C3AR-006 with a large 'E' next
to the code
Should there be something more that I am over looking?

One other question: Can anyone tell the correct level of gear oil
the rear end should have? I checked it and it is about an inch below the
plug in the rear.

Thanks in advance.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Jesus Cardoso, a.k.a. Chuy
Graduate Research Assistant (Power System Automation Lab)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3128
w: 409-845-4623, h: 409-775-0737
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2214, College Station, TX 77841-2214
e-mail: cardoso tamu.edu
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://ee.tamu.edu/~cardoso

:::::::::::::::"Todos en el mundo sonreimos en la misma lengua.":::::::::::::::

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:23:05 -0700
From: "Jim Strigas"
Subject: Pictures & Coils

I've been trying to get a nice shot of my '73 F100 for my Web page. Why
is it everything takes talent! Every picture turns out looking like a field
with a truck in it!
Is it Saturday? Where is everyone? FoMoCo must have made Gary work today
;)
My Chilton shows F100 & F150 as having coil springs on both 4x4 and 2x4
thru '80. But you can't believe everything they say in a Chiltons! :)]-

Jim Strigas
jstrigas worldnet.att.net
It's here, It's thin. It's under construction. It's my Homepage!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home.att.net/~jstrigas/Homepage
If you have nothing better to do, visit my Homepage. There's nothing there
for everyone!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:41:19 -0700
From: "Jim Strigas"
Subject: Re: IDing my tranny

Hi J.C.
My Chilton has the transmission code "E" as a Warner T-87-3 Speed. Your
rear ends gear oil level should be up to the bottom of the fill hole.
Later!

Jim Strigas
jstrigas worldnet.att.net
It's here, It's thin. It's under construction. It's my Homepage!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home.att.net/~jstrigas/Homepage
If you have nothing better to do, visit my Homepage. There's nothing there
for everyone!


- -----Original Message-----
From: Jesus Cardoso
To: fordtrucks ListService.net
Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997 12:42 PM
Subject: IDing my tranny



>Howdy!
>
> I hope someone can help me. I am try to identify the type of
>transmission my truck has ('63 F100, 292 Y-block, 3-speed, LWB Flareside).
>All I have been able to find on the casing is as follows:
> on the rear of the transmission: C3AR-7A040 with a large 'E' next
> to the code
> on the front of the transmission: C3AR-006 with a large 'E' next
> to the code
>Should there be something more that I am over looking?
>
> One other question: Can anyone tell the correct level of gear oil
>the rear end should have? I checked it and it is about an inch below the
>plug in the rear.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::
>
> Jesus Cardoso, a.k.a. Chuy
> Graduate Research Assistant (Power System Automation Lab)
> Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Texas A&ringM University
> College Station, TX 77843-3128
> w: 409-845-4623, h: 409-775-0737
> Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2214, College Station, TX 77841-2214
> e-mail: cardoso tamu.edu
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://ee.tamu.edu/~cardoso
>
>:::::::::::::::"Todos en el mundo sonreimos en la misma
lengua.":::::::::::::::
>
>=======================================================================
>Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1979 And Older Trucks
>Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>To unsubscribe, send email to:
>fordtrucks-request listservice.net
>with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
>email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
>message.
>=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:57:45 -0700
From: Don Grossman
Subject: Re: 76 F100 Question

Tom Hogan wrote:
>
> >Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:22:01 -0700
> >From: Don Grossman
> >Subject: Re: 76 F100 Question
> >
> >Justin Bair wrote:
> >>
> >> All Two wheel drive ford trucks 1/2 - 1 ton
> >> generally have coil springs. all pre 79 1/2 ton 4x4's had front coils.
> >> all pre 79' 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's had leaf springs.
> >> Justin
> >
> >Except for the supercab's. The SuperCab was built on the F-250 chassis
> >and had a leafspring front end. The first year for the coil was the 65'
> >BTW.
>
> Do you mean two wheel drives or 4x4's? I have a 76 F-150 SuperCab two
> wheel drive and it has coil springs in front.
>
> Tom H.

Sorry about the confusion there. I was talking about the 4x4 equipped
F150 supercab. I am not sure but The 3/4 ton supercab, 2x this time,
was also a coil spring front end, (I think, I have not kept up on my
2x's as much as I should). The supercabs and the crew cabs were always
kind of on the not to often ordered list.
- --
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net


63 Ford F-250 4x4 67' 390, t-98, Spicer 24, Dana 60, Dana 44

Phase 172: rebuild front suspension

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:02:38 -0700
From: Don Grossman
Subject: Re: IDing my tranny

What Jim said.
- --
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net


63 Ford F-250 4x4 67' 390, t-98, Spicer 24, Dana 60, Dana 44

Phase 172: rebuild front suspension

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:12:54 -0500
From: "George Shepherd"
Subject: Re: IDing my tranny

Chuy,

Give us the vin or the trans code off the door post sticker

- ----------
> From: Jesus Cardoso
> To: fordtrucks ListService.net
> Subject: IDing my tranny
> Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997 2:39 PM
>
> Howdy!
>
> I hope someone can help me. I am try to identify the type of
> transmission my truck has ('63 F100, 292 Y-block, 3-speed, LWB
Flareside).
> All I have been able to find on the casing is as follows:
> on the rear of the transmission: C3AR-7A040 with a large 'E' next
> to the code
> on the front of the transmission: C3AR-006 with a large 'E' next
> to the code
> Should there be something more that I am over looking?
>
> One other question: Can anyone tell the correct level of gear oil
> the rear end should have? I checked it and it is about an inch below the
> plug in the rear.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::
>
> Jesus Cardoso, a.k.a. Chuy
> Graduate Research Assistant (Power System Automation Lab)
> Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University
> College Station, TX 77843-3128
> w: 409-845-4623, h: 409-775-0737
> Mailing Address: P.O. Box 2214, College Station, TX 77841-2214
> e-mail: cardoso tamu.edu
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://ee.tamu.edu/~cardoso
>
> :::::::::::::::"Todos en el mundo sonreimos en la misma
lengua.":::::::::::::::
>
> =======================================================================
> Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1979 And Older Trucks
> Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> To unsubscribe, send email to:
> fordtrucks-request listservice.net
> with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
> email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
> message.
> =======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:59:17 -0400
From: Schottsweb webtv.net (George Schott)
Subject: Re: 300 to 302 conversion

You need to go to your local you pull-it and get the bellhousing from a
302 that was bolted to a standard trans. BTW I am doing this same
conversion and would like to know where you found the motor mounts. Hope
this helps and thanks for your info.

Duke's
Fine 69

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 20:02:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bj2797 aol.com
Subject: Re: Drum Brakes - Help!

The short lining is the primary, and needs to go to the front. BOTH SIDES.
Have fun. BOB
76 F-250

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:17:45 -0700
From: Tom Hogan
Subject: AOD 4 Speed

Does anyone know about swapping an automatic overdrive 4 speed
transmission into a 72 - 79 pickup with a 390 FE? Has anyone done it?
Are there any kits/parts available? Would it be cheaper / easier to
install an aftermarket overdrive unit that mounts on the end of the
transmission tail shaft? Looking for better fuel economy. All info
appreciated.

Tom H.

76 F-150 SuperCab 390FE
96 WIndstar

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:36:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: Jesus Cardoso
Subject: Re: IDing my tranny

George,

I have not been able to find the vin or any type of code on the
truck. (maybe I am looking in all the wrong places). All that I have
is the vin # from the title of the truck:

F10CD390636

Thanks for your help.

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, George Shepherd wrote:

> Chuy,
>
> Give us the vin or the trans code off the door post sticker
>
> ----------
> > From: Jesus Cardoso
> > To: fordtrucks ListService.net
> > Subject: IDing my tranny
> > Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997 2:39 PM
> >
> > Howdy!
> >
> > I hope someone can help me. I am try to identify the type of
> > transmission my truck has ('63 F100, 292 Y-block, 3-speed, LWB
> Flareside).
> > All I have been able to find on the casing is as follows:
> > on the rear of the transmission: C3AR-7A040 with a large 'E' next
> > to the code
> > on the front of the transmission: C3AR-006 with a large 'E' next
> > to the code
> > Should there be something more that I am over looking?
> >
> > One other question: Can anyone tell the correct level of gear oil
> > the rear end should have? I checked it and it is about an inch below the
> > plug in the rear.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:34:18 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: Pictures & Coils

At 01:23 PM 8/21/97 -0700, you wrote:
> I've been trying to get a nice shot of my '73 F100 for my Web page. Why
>is it everything takes talent! Every picture turns out looking like a field
>with a truck in it!
> Is it Saturday? Where is everyone? FoMoCo must have made Gary work today
>;)....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.