pre61-list-digest Wednesday, June 3 1998 Volume 02 : Number 157

Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1960 and Older trucks and vans
Visit our web site:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
with the words "unsubscribe pre61-list-digest" in the body of the
In this issue:

FTE Pre61 - Fuel Line Size?
Re: FTE Pre61 - Title
Re: FTE Pre61 - '55 3/4 ton brake booster
FTE Pre61 - 239 engine part number



Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 20:50:01 -0700
From: Dan Wentz
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Fuel Line Size?

Anybody know offhand the diameter of the fuel line out of the tank on a 50 F1?


1992 Ford Mustang LX
1950 Ford F1, 351C-2V (Now legally on the road)
Check out my F1 page:
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.


Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 00:03:50 -0500
From: Ray Cardogno
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Title

>Ray Cardogno wrote:
>> >If your state is anything like Maine or Mass., you are in for a hassle and
>> >I'll >bet some paper mill in a magazine won't do much but lighten your
>> >wallet.
>> I am from Mass and I have had to have a New Hamshire friend register and
>> insure a vehicle first and then _sell_ it back to me. Mass does not believe
>> in the _spirit_ of the law.
>I know the feeling, I traded a '84 Chevy pickup for a 87 Ford cruiser,
>then had
>the register the truck in NH before the guy in Maine could get a title,
>Cost me
>$70, then when I transfered the plates onto my Mustang, just to some value
>back, NH wacked me or $16 in tranfer fees. Funny thing is Mass and Maine, have
>as much or more problems with stolen cars as anyone. The whole scam is just a
>clever way to rip you off.

That is exactly right. I've watched the prices rise *much* faster than

= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.


Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 00:35:38 -0500
From: Ray Cardogno
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - '55 3/4 ton brake booster

>47 Fred & Ray Cardogno wrote:
>> >It's pretty obvious how it works, pressure from the master cylinder
>> >moves a piston in the booster, which opens a vacuum valve to cause the
>> >diaphragm to intensify the pressure which goes back to a distribution
>> >block on the master cylinder and to the wheels. What I was wondering,
>> >since those big o'l brakes have to use a lot of oil, and since there
>> >appears to be no reservoir on the booster, how do you fill it, bleed it
>> >and know its operating right? I don't know if Ted needs or wants this
>> >unit, but any opinions on breaking performance, reliability or such?
>> >
>> >47 Fred
>> It gets the fluid from your standard under-the -floorboard master cylinder.
>> It is like the difference of having standard and power brakes (duh). You
>> will have to move your brake switch to the output side of the booster as
>> the pressure now required for the average stop wont even close the switch.

>> Ray

>Well gee now Ray, I figured being Ford, that thing was put there to make life
>more miserable for mechanics and drivers, I never figured it'd make stopping
>easier. Actually, I was looking for a more technical discussion of the
>functionality of the thing, you know, beyond the "you press on the brake pedal
>and it stops." kind of thing.
>I see a gem in your statement that it gets its fluid from the master cylinder,
>but how do you fill it initially, and do they work well in practice? On this
>truck the stop lamp switch was in the usual location, in the "bolt" retaining
>the brake block on the MC. The block itself has 5 ports and no switch port

Sorry, I answer my mail after midnight and sometimes I can be pretty dense.

Watch out if your engine stalls. Like no brakes at all - no where near like
it was before the booster got installed. I have learned to let the clutch
out again to get the engine spinning for vacuum because of a stubborn
stalling engine problem I had once. Very scary.

To fill it... If you shunt your master cylinder and make sure it's full and
free of air then re-connect to the booster you can just pump it through the
booster and into the wheel cylinders. If you're not in a hurry you can just
gravity feed the whole system. I also have a pressurized bleeder with the
correct filler stopper and that is the easiest, but you need the gizmo.
Last time I did it was when I changed rear-ends on one of my larger beasts
to a 2-speed. I put compressed air into the system and blew out all the
fluid (use very little pressure). This was in order to change it over to
DOT 5 fluid which I highly recommend to anyone doing a new brake job. After
you fill the system just bleed the booster like another wheel cylinder, but
bleed it first. These are just my methods. I do a lot of crazy things on an
educated guess and they work for me sometimes :-)


= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.


Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 01:52:56 EDT
Subject: FTE Pre61 - 239 engine part number

I have a 52 F-3 4x4 with the 239 engine. Can anyone tell me how or where to
find the engine part number? I can't seem to find any information in my
manuals identifying this. I did notice that the heads have "8BA" stamped on
them. In the "Ford flathead builder's handbook" there is one table with Ford
general specifications and for 1952 it shows V-8 B3 and for 1949 it shows V-8
8BA. So does that mean I have a 1949 falthead in there, or could it only be
1949 heads? If anyone could help me out on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Rich Kouba
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.


End of pre61-list-digest V2 #157

+- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Ranger, Explorer, Bronco 2 and Aerostar --+....

To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.

Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.