Return-Path:
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 04:30:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: owner-pre61-list-digest ford-trucks.com (pre61-list-digest)
To: pre61-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: pre61-list-digest V2 #132
Reply-To: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-pre61-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-pre61-list-digest ford-trucks.com


pre61-list-digest Thursday, May 14 1998 Volume 02 : Number 132



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1960 and Older trucks and vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe pre61-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Pre61 - Brake Lines
FTE Pre61 - yblock fuel pump
FTE Pre61 - Tilt front ends
FTE Pre61 - Tilt Steering column
Re: FTE Pre61 - Tilt front ends
FTE Pre61 - Fairlane Company
FTE Pre61 - Radio for '51 F5
FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100
RE: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100
Re: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100
Re: FTE Pre61 - Brake Lines
Re: FTE Pre61 - Brake Lines
Re: FTE Pre61 - yblock fuel pump
Re: FTE Pre61 - Pinion Bearing
Re: FTE Pre61 - Tilt Steering column
Re: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 06:10:00 -0500
From: "Mike Morton "
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Brake Lines

>Rich Garber wrote
>
>Hello All,
>
>Well, after waiting 2 months for my prebent, stainless brake lines
>I'm nothing more than dissapointed. THEY DON'T FIT.
>
>Anyone ever order these before? From who? Did they fit?
>
>They list them for a 55 F100, although 53 to 55 is exactly the same.
>Or I though they were, are they?

Where did you buy them?
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 08:48:23 -0400
From: "Neal B. Forbes"
Subject: FTE Pre61 - yblock fuel pump

Hello trukkies!
As I work along at my project, I tackle things when inspired. For a long
time I have had an oil drip from the fuel pump gasket on my 292. When I
got the engine steam cleaned the other day, I figured I better fix the
leak. I noticed when I got this truck that the fuel pump was mounted with
the sediment bowl pointing up. Looked stange to me, but who knew? Since
then I have looked at alot of real motors and photos and all have the
sediment bowl pointing down (makes sense). So when I took mine off, fixed
the wrinkled gasket that was causing the leak, I went to put the thing back
on with the sediment bowl down. It won't go. I tried everything indluding
bumping the engine, figuring that the eccentric was just pointed the wrong
way. Nothing worked, I MUST mount it with the bowl up. So I did. Works
great, no leak. My question is, do I have the right fuel pump? I could
not find any markings on the housing. The lever is 5 1/4 inches long from
mounting surface to tip. Any ideas out there?? TIA
Neal "Hot Heap" Forbes--54 F-100

= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:18:11 -0400
From: Trent Shirley
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Tilt front ends

Can anyone tell me how to contact Fairlane to get a catalog or if they
have a web site?
I spent a while browsing the web for them but did not find them. Came
up with a lot of non-relevant hits though. :)

Later. Trent

= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:24:03 -0400
From: Trent Shirley
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Tilt Steering column

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can give me advice on the best steering column to
replace the original in my 60-F100.
I am planning on getting one of the IFS kits next year so I figured I
would begin this year updating the column and adding a newer master
cylinder and vacuum booster.

What years/model vehicles should I look at or am I better off buying one
of the columns sold aftermarket in the custom rod magazines? I will of
course want to incorporate the turn signal switch so will I need
additional parts from any donor vehicle?

Later. Trent

= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:37:09 -0700
From: KCOUGHLIN
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Tilt front ends

Fairlane: # (517) 224-6460
address: 107P W. Railroad St. St. Johns, MI 48879
They advertise in 'Custom Classic Trucks' Magazine.

Trent Shirley wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to contact Fairlane to get a catalog or if they
> have a web site?
> I spent a while browsing the web for them but did not find them. Came
> up with a lot of non-relevant hits though. :)
>
> Later. Trent
>
> = Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
> Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
> Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
> "unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
> =======================================================================



= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 08:35:00 -0500
From: "Mike Morton "
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Fairlane Company

>Trent wrote
>
>Can anyone tell me how to contact Fairlane to get a catalog or if they
>have a web site?

Their address is 210 E. Walker St., St. Johns, Mi. 48879. Phone is
517-224-6460.
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 10:52:03 -0500
From: Matt Mccoy
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Radio for '51 F5

OK- Back on the hunt... Looking for stock radio for F-Series. It can be
working or not, 6 or 12 Volt. Please let me know if you know where to
look, or if you come across one. Thanks...

= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:02:58 -0500
From: Brad Shanks
Subject: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100

Well Shoot!

It would seem that I have missed the posting with my original message
and a few of the replies (Long story, but can be attributed to a hacker
who got into my wife's virtual server the other day and played with
password files, what luck!).

Anyway, either I will have to wait for the May archive, or could ya'll
repost your answers. From the replies I have read, I think ya'll have
said to bang the pins out of the rear end suspension or else use a
press. If so, how do you get the suspension assembly off the frame in
the first place in order to work on it? My main goal is to get it off
and out of the way so I can start cleaning the frame.

Thanks for all your help.

Brad
brad kwebdesign.com

= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 12:41:45 -0400
From: Alec Fernandez
Subject: RE: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100

Brad,

I think the consensus was to find the holes in the frame that line up
with the pins and use some long bolts that are of narrower diameter then
the pins, then use a heavy hammer (10 lb minimum) to drift them out.
Don't forget to count your fingers before you start!

Later,
Alec

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brad Shanks [SMTP:brad kwebdesign.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 12:03 PM
> To: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100
>
> Well Shoot!
>
> It would seem that I have missed the posting with my original message
> and a few of the replies (Long story, but can be attributed to a
> hacker
> who got into my wife's virtual server the other day and played with
> password files, what luck!).
>
> Anyway, either I will have to wait for the May archive, or could ya'll
> repost your answers. From the replies I have read, I think ya'll have
> said to bang the pins out of the rear end suspension or else use a
> press. If so, how do you get the suspension assembly off the frame
> in
> the first place in order to work on it? My main goal is to get it off
> and out of the way so I can start cleaning the frame.
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Brad
> brad kwebdesign.com
>
> = Ford Truck Enthusiasts
> ==============================================
> Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
> Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
> "unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
> ======================================================================
> =
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:44:38 -0500
From: Rich Garber
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100

At 12:36 AM 5/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I did it myself for the price of the kit and I got to spend
>>quality time with my truck and drink beer.
>>
>>The king pins come out fine with a large hammer, but I would highly
recommend
>>a good machine shop to fit the bushings.
>>
>>There's a million ways to do something.
>>
>>Rich
>>54 F100
>
>Does that mean there's more than one way to Pin A Cat?
>
>
I never had a reason to pin a cat but I've skinned a few
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:43:02 -0500
From: Rich Garber
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Brake Lines

At 09:02 PM 5/12/98 EDT, you wrote:
>
> I had the same result with prebent brake lines, they didnt fit soooo
Bought a
>cheep tubing bender , flaring tool and a 20' piece of brakeline tubing to
make
>my own . Only thing I had difficulty finding was clips to attach to the
frame
>Cliff No name 54.

Cliff,

Where did you find the clips? I can't find them anywhere. I had bought
the 25' of tubing but I really want the bends right. I guess the only part
I would have problems with is the rear axel, It has to look right. What did
you do about the gravel gaurds?

Thanks,

Rich
54 F100
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:50:08 -0500
From: Rich Garber
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Brake Lines

At 06:10 AM 5/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Rich Garber wrote
>>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Well, after waiting 2 months for my prebent, stainless brake lines
>>I'm nothing more than dissapointed. THEY DON'T FIT.
>>
>>Anyone ever order these before? From who? Did they fit?
>>
>>They list them for a 55 F100, although 53 to 55 is exactly the same.
>>Or I though they were, are they?
>
>Where did you buy them?
>

I thought I'd let my frustration cool off before I mentioned any names.
I called them today and they said they would make it right so I need
to give them a chance. I will let you know the outcome and the party in
mention.

The good news is my neighbor has a 55 with the original (but bad) lines
intact. Talked to him tonight and I can have the old ones. I will need
to help him bend the new ones, so after a little practice (on his) I
might be good enough to make my own.

Rich
54 F100
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:51:30 -0500
From: Rich Garber
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - yblock fuel pump

At 08:48 AM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello trukkies!
>As I work along at my project, I tackle things when inspired. For a long
>time I have had an oil drip from the fuel pump gasket on my 292. When I
>got the engine steam cleaned the other day, I figured I better fix the
>leak. I noticed when I got this truck that the fuel pump was mounted with
>the sediment bowl pointing up. Looked stange to me, but who knew? Since
>then I have looked at alot of real motors and photos and all have the
>sediment bowl pointing down (makes sense). So when I took mine off, fixed
>the wrinkled gasket that was causing the leak, I went to put the thing back
>on with the sediment bowl down. It won't go. I tried everything indluding
>bumping the engine, figuring that the eccentric was just pointed the wrong
>way. Nothing worked, I MUST mount it with the bowl up. So I did. Works
>great, no leak. My question is, do I have the right fuel pump? I could
>not find any markings on the housing. The lever is 5 1/4 inches long from
>mounting surface to tip. Any ideas out there?? TIA
>Neal "Hot Heap" Forbes--54 F-100
>
Neal,

It points up.
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 00:39:28 EDT
From: Brechtjohn
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Pinion Bearing

Macs is OK but I have had some success with JOBLOT AUTOMOTIVE in Queens, NY.
My catalogue is not handy so I can't provide a phone number, but Long distance
information could help. I am happy with the quality of their parts. It's
worth a try.

I have a '40 3/4 ton pickup. Us guys with the older trucks are highly out
numbered by the F-series types in this list. It's refreshing to see more of
us exist.

Is your pickup a half ton or 3/4 ton? There is a world of difference between
the two in that vintage.

Good luck and my best to your daughter on her graduation!

Sincerely, John Brecht
= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 01:36:33 -0500
From: Ray Cardogno
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Tilt Steering column

>Hi everyone,
>
>I am hoping someone can give me advice on the best steering column to
>replace the original in my 60-F100.
>I am planning on getting one of the IFS kits next year so I figured I
>would begin this year updating the column and adding a newer master
>cylinder and vacuum booster.
>
>What years/model vehicles should I look at or am I better off buying one
>of the columns sold aftermarket in the custom rod magazines? I will of
>course want to incorporate the turn signal switch so will I need
>additional parts from any donor vehicle?
>
>Later. Trent
>

I used the column, booster, and grabbed the complete harness from my IFS
doner vehicle, a 78 Aspen. All worked great.

Ray C


= Ford Truck Enthusiasts ==============================================
Send posts to: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Send unsubscribe requests to: majordomo ford-trucks.com with
"unsubscribe pre61-list" in the message body.
=======================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 01:42:54 -0500
From: Ray Cardogno
Subject: Re: FTE Pre61 - Rear End Suspension, '54 F-100

>Well Shoot!
>
>It would seem that I have missed the posting with my original message
>and a few of the replies (Long story, but can be attributed to a hacker
>who got into my wife's virtual server the other day and played with
>password files, what luck!).
>
>Anyway, either I will have to wait for the May archive, or could ya'll
>repost your answers. From the replies I have read, I think ya'll have
>said to bang the pins out of the rear end suspension or else use a
>press. If so, how do you get the suspension assembly off the frame in
>the first place in order to work on it? My main goal is to get it off
>and out of the way so I can start cleaning the frame.
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>
>Brad
>brad kwebdesign.com
>

Grind off rear spring perch mounting rivet heads and punch through. Replace....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.