From: owner-pre48-list-digest ford-trucks.com (pre48-list-digest)
To: pre48-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: pre48-list-digest V2 #83
Reply-To: pre61-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-pre48-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-pre48-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


pre48-list-digest Thursday, August 26 1999 Volume 02 : Number 083



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1947 and Older trucks and vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe pre47-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup
Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup
Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup
Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:56:56 -0500
From: Chris Chambers
Subject: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup

Hey guys,
Well, I am bringing home a 39 1/2 ton this weekend(my wife is going to
kill me) It is complete and pretty solid, has a running flathead v-8.
I believe with some new tires and a little patience I can have this
truck on the road. My main concern is going to be the brakes, any
suggestions at all on how I can check them out and maybe even spruce
them up before I try to take that first ride. i know the truck will go
but I don't know yet if it is going to stop. Also, what is a truck like
this worth? I don't want to sell it by any means but just want to know
if I got a deal or not. It is in grey primer, all complete and very
solid, and the flathead purrs like a kitten.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice
- -Chris, panel truck and now 39 pickup

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:51:33 -0400
From: 47Fred
Subject: Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup

Chris Chambers wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> Well, I am bringing home a 39 1/2 ton this weekend(my wife is going to
> kill me)
My main concern is going to be the brakes, any
> suggestions at all on how I can check them out and maybe even spruce
> them up before I try to take that first ride.

Isn't '39 the 1st year for hydraulic brakes? They work just like any
other set of brakes, and to check you first see if you have good pedal,
if you don't they probably aren't working. Assuming you have a good
pedal, the next step depends on how bold you are, a truly bold Fordman
fires the motor, runs it up to 45 or so, and piles on the binders. A not
so bold fellow, would pull the drums, and check all four wheels for
leaks, binding and rusty drums and clean or repair as appropriate. A
close visual inspection of all brake lines and hoses is also a good
idea. One caution, if the pedal doesn't move at all, it is probably
frozen in the master cylinder, this condition, in all probability, means
no brakes what-so-ever. If the thing has been sitting around for any
period of time, you can pretty well plan on a complete overhaul,
cylinders, lines, hoses.

Of course if you still have the mechanical brakes, ignore this whole
ramble, you already are a bold Fordman.

47 Fred
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:59:06 -0400
From: "John Lawson"
Subject: Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup

I tend to agree with Fred. It is much better to be safe than sorry. My
suggestion is if the history of the brake system is unknown you should
purchase new parts and fix it right the first time. Everything you would
need for the hydraulic system is available.

The value of such a truck is not easy to determine. The price guide shows
$400.00 for a parts-only unit up to $13000.00 for a unit restored to maximum
professional standards. A challenging truck for the restorer shows a $1550
value while a rust free "good" driver or older restoration is valued at
$2600. The "very good" ( such as a good amatuer restoration) shows $5200.
And finally the well-restored truck which would require very close
examination to detect wear or flaws is valued at $9100.
- -----Original Message-----
From: 47Fred
To: pre48-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup


>Chris Chambers wrote:
>>
>> Hey guys,
>> Well, I am bringing home a 39 1/2 ton this weekend(my wife is going to
>> kill me)
> My main concern is going to be the brakes, any
>> suggestions at all on how I can check them out and maybe even spruce
>> them up before I try to take that first ride.
>
> Isn't '39 the 1st year for hydraulic brakes? They work just like any
>other set of brakes, and to check you first see if you have good pedal,
>if you don't they probably aren't working. Assuming you have a good
>pedal, the next step depends on how bold you are, a truly bold Fordman
>fires the motor, runs it up to 45 or so, and piles on the binders. A not
>so bold fellow, would pull the drums, and check all four wheels for
>leaks, binding and rusty drums and clean or repair as appropriate. A
>close visual inspection of all brake lines and hoses is also a good
>idea. One caution, if the pedal doesn't move at all, it is probably
>frozen in the master cylinder, this condition, in all probability, means
>no brakes what-so-ever. If the thing has been sitting around for any
>period of time, you can pretty well plan on a complete overhaul,
>cylinders, lines, hoses.
>
> Of course if you still have the mechanical brakes, ignore this whole
>ramble, you already are a bold Fordman.
>
> 47 Fred
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:07:08 -0500
From: Chris Chambers
Subject: Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup

Thanks so much for the prompt reply and valuable information, I knew I could
count on you guys to help me out. I'll keep you posted on the progress of this
truck. I think I am planning to do a driving restoration,
I really look forward to tooling around town in it and don't want to shut it
down too long to do a frame off. It's too solid of a truck for that anyway.
Thanks again.
- -Chris

John Lawson wrote:

> I tend to agree with Fred. It is much better to be safe than sorry. My
> suggestion is if the history of the brake system is unknown you should
> purchase new parts and fix it right the first time. Everything you would
> need for the hydraulic system is available.
>
> The value of such a truck is not easy to determine. The price guide shows
> $400.00 for a parts-only unit up to $13000.00 for a unit restored to maximum
> professional standards. A challenging truck for the restorer shows a $1550
> value while a rust free "good" driver or older restoration is valued at
> $2600. The "very good" ( such as a good amatuer restoration) shows $5200.
> And finally the well-restored truck which would require very close
> examination to detect wear or flaws is valued at $9100.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: 47Fred
> To: pre48-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 9:54 AM
> Subject: Re: FTE Pre48 - 39 pickup
>
> >Chris Chambers wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey guys,
> >> Well, I am bringing home a 39 1/2 ton this weekend(my wife is going to
> >> kill me)
> > My main concern is going to be the brakes, any
> >> suggestions at all on how I can check them out and maybe even spruce
> >> them up before I try to take that first ride.
> >
> > Isn't '39 the 1st year for hydraulic brakes? They work just like any
> >other set of brakes, and to check you first see if you have good pedal,
> >if you don't they probably aren't working. Assuming you have a good
> >pedal, the next step depends on how bold you are, a truly bold Fordman
> >fires the motor, runs it up to 45 or so, and piles on the binders. A not
> >so bold fellow, would pull the drums, and check all four wheels for
> >leaks, binding and rusty drums and clean or repair as appropriate. A
> >close visual inspection of all brake lines and hoses is also a good
> >idea. One caution, if the pedal doesn't move at all, it is probably
> >frozen in the master cylinder, this condition, in all probability, means
> >no brakes what-so-ever. If the thing has been sitting around for any
> >period of time, you can pretty well plan on a complete overhaul,
> >cylinders, lines, hoses.
> >
> > Of course if you still have the mechanical brakes, ignore this whole
> >ramble, you already are a bold Fordman.
> >
> > 47 Fred
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

End of pre48-list-digest V2 #83....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.