Received: with LISTAR (v1.0.0; list perf-list); Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:48:43 -0500 (EST)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:48:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server <listar ford-trucks.com>
To: perf-list digest users <listar ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: perf-list Digest V2000 #191
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck  Enthusiasts  Performance,  Hot-Rod  and Custom
Truck Mailing List

Visit our  web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe perf-list" in  the subject  of  the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
perf-list Digest Fri, 29 Dec 2000 Volume: 2000  Issue: 191

In This Issue:
Preventative maintenance
Preventative maintenance
Re: Preventative maintenance

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Chris Samuel" <fourmuelz email.msn.com>
Subject: Preventative maintenance
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:01:52 -0800


From very recent experience friends.

If you have become unfortunate enough to be the proud owner of one of Ford's
"Better Ideas", what I now call the "extra fastener" fan attachment, as is
found on the V6 Rangers, Aerostar's, and sadly on the Modular Engines, this
note is for you.
A group of Ford "Engineers" more then likely just out of school, and
therefore having little to no hands on experience with things mechanical
came up with what on the surface appears to be a slick way to fasten the fan
to the water pump.
For those of you who have not had the good fortune to experience this trick
set-up what they did is they bolted the pulley on to the engine the same way
as has been done for the last 100 years using 4 bolts.  Then they then added
threads to the pilot that used to simply slide into the fan spacer, or
clutch for the fan.  Now that they had increased the production price of
this part, they used a left-hand fine thread to attach the fan clutch to the
snout of the water pump.  Hence my calling it the "extra fastener" fan
attachment it; now it requires that 5 fastenings be made instead of the "old
fashioned" way of using just the 4 bolts.  That they didn't eliminate the 4
bolts with this is inexcusable and the only reason to attach the fan this
way!
But, on to the warning.  You see the design is one that may work well on the
factory floor but in the field?
Example: Murphy's Law says that your water pump will fail at the worst
possible place or time.  If yours is in a truck that you take off road then
it will fail waaay out in the pucker weeds.  Mine, being SWMBO's streetcar,
failed X/mass eve.  No problem just change it!-)  You do have the special
tool to get this apart don't you?  No?  Too bad!  Go get one.  You strip off
the junk that is in the way and you wiggle the spanner part in place and you
fit the special wrench on to the nut and you pull and:
Nothing.
You get a longer breaker bar.
You get your safety glasses and a hammer.
You get a bigger hammer.
You put your gloves on.
You get a bigger hammer!
You double check the manual and it says "left hand thread".
You reread the manual and see that the fan nut only requires 15-25 Ft. Lb.
You verify that you are turning the nut the correct way.
You apply gradually increasing amounts of force to the nut.
You pull the new pump out of the box and check the threads...  You are
turning it the right way.
At about 80 Ft.Lb the hex on the nut rounds over but the nut refuses to
turn!
You go back into the house and ask SWMBO if it would be "ok" to use the Blue
Flame Wrench to remove the damn fan so you can replace the water pump?! (-:
"No."
You smile.
You call the dealership and make an appointment.
So, a water pump costs $450.
So what if that is more money then you have dared to spend on "your" 75
Highboy, because she would have shot you!
All of this because Ford has morons for factory engineers!
All of this because there was no Anti-Seize applied to these threads.
So there you have the warning.  If you own one of these abominations before
Henry, do yourself a favor if you do your own maintenance and get the damn
$50.00 tool and take this apart.  Do this before time and vibration lock it
so tight that it is a permanent assembly.  Once you have it apart get some
Anti-seize in to those threads, If you ever have to take it apart again
you'll thank yourself!  Better yet replace it with one of the kits that
eliminates this "Better Idea" with a spacer that bolts on with the 4 bolts;
or better still install an electric fan!

Good Luck
Chris

PS. It took the Tech over 2 hours to get the fan off!  Yes, as it turns out
I was turning the nut the right way...  Great design!  Yay Ford!



------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:35:45 +0000
From: Adam McLaughlin <kd6poc jps.net>
Subject: Preventative maintenance


Darn right! I could have written this. I, being even dumber than the tech who
designed this, used one of the pulley bolts as leverage and ruined both the fan nut
and the pulley.

So, it cost me a a new water pump and an electric fan because I didn't want another
mechanical one.

At least I painted my new $60 water pump ford blue so it looks pretty. ;-)

Adam

Chris Samuel wrote:

> >From very recent experience friends.
>
> If you have become unfortunate enough to be the proud owner of one of Ford's
> "Better Ideas", what I now call the "extra fastener" fan attachment, as is
> found on the V6 Rangers, Aerostar's, and sadly on the Modular Engines, this
> note is for you.
> A group of Ford "Engineers" more then likely just out of school, and
> therefore having little to no hands on experience with things mechanical
> came up with what on the surface appears to be a slick way to fasten the fan
> to the water pump.
> For those of you who have not had the good fortune to experience this trick
> set-up what they did is they bolted the pulley on to the engine the same way
> as has been done for the last 100 years using 4 bolts.  Then they then added
> threads to the pilot that used to simply slide into the fan spacer, or
> clutch for the fan.  Now that they had increased the production price of
> this part, they used a left-hand fine thread to attach the fan clutch to the
> snout of the water pump.  Hence my calling it the "extra fastener" fan
> attachment it; now it requires that 5 fastenings be made instead of the "old
> fashioned" way of using just the 4 bolts.  That they didn't eliminate the 4
> bolts with this is inexcusable and the only reason to attach the fan this
> way!
> But, on to the warning.  You see the design is one that may work well on the
> factory floor but in the field?
> Example: Murphy's Law says that your water pump will fail at the worst
> possible place or time.  If yours is in a truck that you take off road then
> it will fail waaay out in the pucker weeds.  Mine, being SWMBO's streetcar,
> failed X/mass eve.  No problem just change it!-)  You do have the special
> tool to get this apart don't you?  No?  Too bad!  Go get one.  You strip off
> the junk that is in the way and you wiggle the spanner part in place and you
> fit the special wrench on to the nut and you pull and:
> Nothing.
> You get a longer breaker bar.
> You get your safety glasses and a hammer.
> You get a bigger hammer.
> You put your gloves on.
> You get a bigger hammer!
> You double check the manual and it says "left hand thread".
> You reread the manual and see that the fan nut only requires 15-25 Ft. Lb.
> You verify that you are turning the nut the correct way.
> You apply gradually increasing amounts of force to the nut.
> You pull the new pump out of the box and check the threads...  You are
> turning it the right way.
> At about 80 Ft.Lb the hex on the nut rounds over but the nut refuses to
> turn!
> You go back into the house and ask SWMBO if it would be "ok" to use the Blue
> Flame Wrench to remove the damn fan so you can replace the water pump?! (-:
> "No."
> You smile.
> You call the dealership and make an appointment.
> So, a water pump costs $450.
> So what if that is more money then you have dared to spend on "your" 75
> Highboy, because she would have shot you!
> All of this because Ford has morons for factory engineers!
> All of this because there was no Anti-Seize applied to these threads.
> So there you have the warning.  If you own one of these abominations before
> Henry, do yourself a favor if you do your own maintenance and get the damn
> $50.00 tool and take this apart.  Do this before time and vibration lock it
> so tight that it is a permanent assembly.  Once you have it apart get some
> Anti-seize in to those threads, If you ever have to take it apart again
> you'll thank yourself!  Better yet replace it with one of the kits that
> eliminates this "Better Idea" with a spacer that bolts on with the 4 bolts;
> or better still install an electric fan!
>
> Good Luck
> Chris
>
> PS.     It took the Tech over 2 hours to get the fan off!  Yes, as it turns out
> I was turning the nut the right way...  Great design!  Yay Ford!


------------------------------

From: WJeff43 aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:46:58 EST
Subject: Re: Preventative maintenance


I changed the water pump on my wife's Aerostar about 2 months ago.  I got the
fan loose by the following:
I sprayed some nut-loosening oil on the joint and let it sit for about 30
minutes.
Put the serpentine belt back on (I had taken it off) and tighten it tight.
Put a wrench on the fan stud, put constant, hard torque on it.  Strike the
wrench end that's on the bolt with a hammer.  You're not trying to destroy
it, just help the threads loosen up.  After I took these steps the fan came
off OK.

Your point is well taken about way the vehicle is built.  I believe there's a
market for another simple vehicle, but I don't know if anyone makes one
anymore.  If they could take all the time and effort they put into putting BS
on the vehicles, the engineers could probably come up with a pretty well
designed no-frills vehicle.  I drive a 1979 F100 because there's nothing on
the truck that's beyond the understanding of the home mechanic.  I believe
I've had everything on the truck apart at one time or another.  You can't
even see the spark plugs on my wife's Aerostar.  I'm sure changing them is a
hat-trick!

Bill Jeffreys

Bill Jeffreys

------------------------------

End of perf-list Digest V2000 #191
**********************************
----------------------------------------------------------
Ford Truck Enthusiasts  Performance,  Hot-Rod  and  Custom
Truck List

Send posts to perf-list ford-trucks.com ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.