From: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com (perf-list-digest)
To: perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: perf-list-digest V2 #296
Reply-To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


perf-list-digest Wednesday, November 17 1999 Volume 02 : Number 296



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Perf - 460 crank casting #s
RE: FTE Perf - Distributor
RE: FTE Perf - Spring Wrap Up
Re: FTE Perf - 460 crank casting #s
Re: FTE Perf - Distributor
FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban legends to the lists!
FTE Perf - My new 2000 is here
RE: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban leg ends to the lists!
Re: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban legends to the lists!

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:23:13 -0700
From: Margit Walden
Subject: FTE Perf - 460 crank casting #s

i have a 460 crank with casting #2ya. does this take the counter weight
behind the balancer or the plain spacer. what was the other casting #
used.
thanks bronco buster.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:37:14 -0600
From: "Allen Collins"
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - Distributor

Thanks for the reply,
I have been looking in the Jegs catalog and on the net and all distributors
are pricey. Cheapest quality I found was a Mallory dual point for about
$100.00. I had one of those in an old Mustang many years ago. Didn't know
they still made them! I guess the best thing to do is go with the Unilite,
it states it is one of the easiest to hook up. With the dual point would
probably have to convert the cap, and coil, this would make the price about
the same as a Unilite.

Allen

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-perf-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-perf-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of James Krehmke
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 9:43 PM
To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Distributor


Allen

We had an '83 F250 with the same problem. There are 3 fixes that I can
think of.
1)Get the original DuraSpark distributor and module. These are about '74
up. You'll have to find the appropriate wiring diagram to hook it all up.
2)Get an old points distributor
3)We went for a Mallory unilite disributor. All in 1 unit. Simple hookup.
Works perfect.

- -jwk-
- ----- Original Message -----
From: Allen Collins
To: Perf-List Ford-Trucks.Com ;
80-96-List Ford-Trucks.Com
Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 5:41 PM
Subject: FTE Perf - Distributor


> Hello to the list,
> I have a 1986 F-150, 302 cid, two barrel carb, computer controlled
> distributor. The engine is an older engine and not fuel injected like the
> tag states. The computer is also not working and brings on the problem of
> the distributor not advancing. Having a limited budget can I go to a
> wrecking yard and purchase an older electronic distributor and install it?
> What do I need to make this work assuming I can make it work? What wiring
> would I need? Just a hot from the wiring harness going into the
distributor
> now? Anything I am overlooking?
>
> Thank for the help
>
> Allen
> Lubbock Texas
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:57:44 -0600
From: "William S. Hart"
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - Spring Wrap Up

> What is spring wrap?

This is where the axle is allowed to twist ... it causes the springs to pre
load a bit, then when traction is lost or gained it will cause the wheels to
unload ... hmmm...trying to think of an example ... take a straw ... have
someone hold both ends of it ... this is your spring ... now put your
fingers in the middle and twist a little bit to one side ... one side should
go up the other down ... this is spring wrap up ... if it had been a real
spring it would be pushing back to straighten things out ...

Does this make sense ?




> How do you tell if you have it or not?
>
One way is to have someone watch for it ... when you are driving, have
someone in a car next to you, then stop ... when you go again they willb e
able to see the springs wrap up a little bit ... if its a lot, then you know
you have problems ...

Another sign is a lot of wheel hop when spinning the tires ...


> I am driving a 1988 BII with a 3" James Duff VR lift. I have JD dual
> shocks on the front, and poly bushings everywhere.

This doesn't apply if you've got coil springs, its a leaf spring only thing
(maybe torsion suspensions too)

Just my $.02
wish

96 Mustang GT 5spd 4.6L
73ish 1/2ton 4x4 6.4L
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:31:42 -0800
From: "Bill Beyer"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - 460 crank casting #s

Can't answer your first ques. but the other casting #s for 460 are 2Y, 2YAB,
2YABC, 3Y.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets"

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Margit Walden
To:
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 12:23 AM
Subject: FTE Perf - 460 crank casting #s


> i have a 460 crank with casting #2ya. does this take the counter weight
> behind the balancer or the plain spacer. what was the other casting #
> used.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:14:18 -0800
From: George Miller
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Distributor

If you go with the Unilite, get the Mallory Filter that attaches before
the distributor. The filter suppresses power surges (stereo, lights,
fans, etc) which can fry those expensive modules, usually in the middle
of nowhere.

George Miller

Allen Collins wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply,
> I have been looking in the Jegs catalog and on the net and all distributors
> are pricey. Cheapest quality I found was a Mallory dual point for about
> $100.00. I had one of those in an old Mustang many years ago. Didn't know
> they still made them! I guess the best thing to do is go with the Unilite,
> it states it is one of the easiest to hook up. With the dual point would
> probably have to convert the cap, and coil, this would make the price about
> the same as a Unilite.
>
> Allen
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-perf-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-perf-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of James Krehmke
> Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 9:43 PM
> To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Distributor
>
> Allen
>
> We had an '83 F250 with the same problem. There are 3 fixes that I can
> think of.
> 1)Get the original DuraSpark distributor and module. These are about '74
> up. You'll have to find the appropriate wiring diagram to hook it all up.
> 2)Get an old points distributor
> 3)We went for a Mallory unilite disributor. All in 1 unit. Simple hookup.
> Works perfect.
>
> -jwk-
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Allen Collins
> To: Perf-List Ford-Trucks.Com ;
> 80-96-List Ford-Trucks.Com
> Sent: Monday, November 15, 1999 5:41 PM
> Subject: FTE Perf - Distributor
>
> > Hello to the list,
> > I have a 1986 F-150, 302 cid, two barrel carb, computer controlled
> > distributor. The engine is an older engine and not fuel injected like the
> > tag states. The computer is also not working and brings on the problem of
> > the distributor not advancing. Having a limited budget can I go to a
> > wrecking yard and purchase an older electronic distributor and install it?
> > What do I need to make this work assuming I can make it work? What wiring
> > would I need? Just a hot from the wiring harness going into the
> distributor
> > now? Anything I am overlooking?
> >
> > Thank for the help
> >
> > Allen
> > Lubbock Texas
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:43:15 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban legends to the lists!

In the future any forwarding "gullibility viruses", i.e., chain
emails containing urban legends or "virus" warnings, will be
uns*bscribed. Its a major hassle dealing with them, especial
when they have files attached and bounce off the list filters.
Never forward emails without first checking out the facts.

Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:09:17 -0600
From: jmann living.com
Subject: FTE Perf - My new 2000 is here

We'll, my new 2000 F150 Lariat 4x4 SC Flareside showed up a week early. Now
all I have to do is sell my Jetta. With the custom work that still has to
be done and Thanksgiving, that should give me a little time. The dealer
also said they would hang on to the truck until I sold my car. But I'm sure
there is a limit to that. Man, I love the A-Plan!

Just wanted to share the joy.

Joe
Austin ,TX.

PS: Hey, where do I look to see if I got the 44U or the 44E tranny? Just in
case I got lucky.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:44:17 -0600
From: jmann living.com
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban leg ends to the lists!

Let's see, how did that line go in the movie Stripes, "Lighten up Francis."

I agree that these "gullibility viruses" are annoying as hell. I've put up
with them for almost 10 years. But you will have new users who wont no about
this little rule, and current uses that either wont see this, oh so kind
message, that will surely make the evidently fatal mistake of sending one of
these out to your lists. And when, not IF, they do I would hope that da
fuhrer wouldn't take them out back and shoot the for their first mistake.

There are a number of sites that list these messages. Try writing a filter
that looks for a substring in commonly known "gullibility viruses" and dumps
them before they hit the list. It might work a bit better than threatening
your users.



- -----Original Message-----
From: Ken Payne [mailto:kpayne ford-trucks.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 8:43 PM
To: pre61-list ford-trucks.com; 61-79-list ford-trucks.com;
80-96-list ford-trucks.com; 97up-list ford-trucks.com;
small-list ford-trucks.com; perf-list ford-trucks.com;
pre48-list fordtrucks.com; offroad-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban
legends to the lists!

In the future any forwarding "gullibility viruses", i.e., chain
emails containing urban legends or "virus" warnings, will be
uns*bscribed. Its a major hassle dealing with them, especial
when they have files attached and bounce off the list filters.
Never forward emails without first checking out the facts.

Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:17:07 -0800
From: "Bill Beyer"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban legends to the lists!

You're right there are a number of sites that list these messages including
the anti virus sites. They also explain whether or not the problem is real
or nonsense. Many of these nuisance "viruses" rely on people shotgunning the
message all over creation. If you can't be bothered to take a few seconds
out of your day to research the veracity of the message then you shouldn't
be posting here anyway.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets"

- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To: ;
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 8:44 PM
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Don't post your chain letters and urban
legends to the lists!


> Let's see, how did that line go in the movie Stripes, "Lighten up
Francis."
>
> I agree that these "gullibility viruses" are annoying as hell. I've put up
> with them for almost 10 years. But you will have new users who wont no
about
> this little rule, and current uses that either wont see this, oh so kind
> message, that will surely make the evidently fatal mistake of sending one
of
> these out to your lists. And when, not IF, they do I would hope that da
> fuhrer wouldn't take them out back and shoot the for their first mistake.
>
> There are a number of sites that list these messages. Try writing a filter....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.