From: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com (perf-list-digest)
To: perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: perf-list-digest V2 #266
Reply-To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


perf-list-digest Saturday, October 16 1999 Volume 02 : Number 266



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Perf - RE:
FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone
Re: FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone
RE: FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone
FTE Perf - TFI tester...
FTE Perf - Why me?
FTE Perf - Discounted Ford Parts
FTE Perf - Forwarded for Sleddog
Re: [FTE Perf - TFI tester...]
Re: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing
Re: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing
Re: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:27:25 -0500
From: "William S. Hart"
Subject: FTE Perf - RE:

> A torque converter can be damaged, and probably
> worn out, but not
> considered
> a common occurance ... what brings this up ?
>
> I just find it hard to believe that it cant turn
> the tires at all or get decent gas milage, so i
> thought the converter could be really inefficient
> also it does ok until the transmission (not the
> water temp) heats up, but i just changed the
> tranny fluid. To the best of my knowledge the
> engine has never even been separated from the
> tranny so its likely not bent or filled with dead
> mice. The fluid seemed pretty clean, as it ran
> down my face especially; )
>

Okay, what are you considering "decent gas mileage" ??? Also is your tranny
an overdrive unit, or a 3spd ? Along with that, the rear gear ratio will
have some effect as well ... on both efficiency and spinning the tires ...
though I wouldn't expect the tires to turn over with the 6cyl, especially
with a stock motor. What have you noticed that changes about the tranny as
it heats up ? You said its okay, until it heats up, then what happens ????

Glad to hear the fluid was clean, that's a good sign, even if it doesn't
taste any better that way. :)

Just my $.02
wish

96 Mustang GT 4.6L
73ish F100 4x4 6.4L
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bill
Subject: FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone

A month or so back, I wrote the list about a knock I had picked up in
my 351W after changing oil... well the knock is gone... by means of a
complete rebuild...

Decided to pull the engine out and take it to my trusty speed shop
(they had done some work for me before and have a great rep here in
town even tho the specialize in Ch*vies)..

This is what is being done so far:

The crank was, to use their words, messed up.. so it got a 20/20 grind.
Block was Align bored, torque plate bored .030 over.
Rods straightened, resized and shot peened.
Badger pistons (cast) dished.
Childs and Albert Moly rings.
New cam and lifters (special grind but basically a few ticks "smaller"
than a Comp Cams 268H) dont have the numbers with me, but according to
Bill at the speed shop, will have noticable lope, but can still use
stock torque converter, and will not affect my low end torque... was
was picked out for my type of driving and type of vehicle...
Cloyes True roller timing chain and gears
StreetDamper harmonic balancer..
ARP bolts
Felpro Gaskets
Melling High Volume Oil Pump (ARP shaft)
and basically everything is being blueprinted and balanced..

The heads have screw-in studs, guide plates, all new Manley Valves,
Comp Cams springs, 3 angle valve job, hardened seats, Comp Cams roller
tip rockers and heat treated push rods. These are small chamber heads
that came stock on the 1970 351W. Using the dished pistons we hope to
keep the compression ratio to about 9.5 to 1.

Carter "Muscle Car" manual fuel pump
Edelbrock Perfomer 351W intake
Holley 4106 600 CFM 4bbl (vacuum secondaries/electric choke)

I tried not to go overboard since my 64 F100 is my daily driver, but I
wanted it a little "warmer" than your basic rebuild.

The engine is nearing completion and I have been rebuilding the Volare
front suspension (all new bushings, ball joints, heavy duty shocks and
preformance brake pads). Except for having some problems finding some
parts for this Mopar addition to my truck, this has been a fairly easy
job (with the engine out and the front clip off and a good set of air
tools and occasionally a BIG hammer).

Hopefully I will have her back on the road in early November.. then I
will start looking for bigger rear tires, a locker and some sand bags
:-)..

Bill in Texas
'64 F100 Shortbox ('70 351w/'76 C4)


=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:37:01 -0700
From: "James Krehmke"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone

Bill,

Sounds like what my Ranchero needs. Tell me more about the cam....

- -jwk-

- -----Original Message-----
From: Bill
To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Date: 15 October, 1999 7:13 AM
Subject: FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone


>A month or so back, I wrote the list about a knock I had picked up in
>my 351W after changing oil... well the knock is gone... by means of a
>complete rebuild...
>
>Decided to pull the engine out and take it to my trusty speed shop
>(they had done some work for me before and have a great rep here in
>town even tho the specialize in Ch*vies)..
>
>This is what is being done so far:
>
>The crank was, to use their words, messed up.. so it got a 20/20 grind.
>Block was Align bored, torque plate bored .030 over.
>Rods straightened, resized and shot peened.
>Badger pistons (cast) dished.
>Childs and Albert Moly rings.
>New cam and lifters (special grind but basically a few ticks "smaller"
>than a Comp Cams 268H) dont have the numbers with me, but according to
>Bill at the speed shop, will have noticable lope, but can still use
>stock torque converter, and will not affect my low end torque... was
>was picked out for my type of driving and type of vehicle...
>Cloyes True roller timing chain and gears
>StreetDamper harmonic balancer..
>ARP bolts
>Felpro Gaskets
>Melling High Volume Oil Pump (ARP shaft)
>and basically everything is being blueprinted and balanced..
>
>The heads have screw-in studs, guide plates, all new Manley Valves,
>Comp Cams springs, 3 angle valve job, hardened seats, Comp Cams roller
>tip rockers and heat treated push rods. These are small chamber heads
>that came stock on the 1970 351W. Using the dished pistons we hope to
>keep the compression ratio to about 9.5 to 1.
>
>Carter "Muscle Car" manual fuel pump
>Edelbrock Perfomer 351W intake
>Holley 4106 600 CFM 4bbl (vacuum secondaries/electric choke)
>
>I tried not to go overboard since my 64 F100 is my daily driver, but I
>wanted it a little "warmer" than your basic rebuild.
>
>The engine is nearing completion and I have been rebuilding the Volare
>front suspension (all new bushings, ball joints, heavy duty shocks and
>preformance brake pads). Except for having some problems finding some
>parts for this Mopar addition to my truck, this has been a fairly easy
>job (with the engine out and the front clip off and a good set of air
>tools and occasionally a BIG hammer).
>
>Hopefully I will have her back on the road in early November.. then I
>will start looking for bigger rear tires, a locker and some sand bags
>:-)..
>
>Bill in Texas
>'64 F100 Shortbox ('70 351w/'76 C4)
>
>
>=====
>
>__________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:51:31 -0500
From: "William S. Hart"
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - The Knock is Gone

> Hopefully I will have her back on the road in early November.. then I
> will start looking for bigger rear tires, a locker and some sand bags
> :-)..
>

Hey it sounds great ... almost everything I did to my 390 when I built that
up, though I don't have the lopey idle, with snow and 4wd I didn't figure it
would be a good idea :)

Looks like you got a pretty good build there,very similar to how I'd do one
:)

Just my $.02
wish

96 Mustang GT 4.6L
73ish F100 4x4 6.4L
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:44:59 -0500
From: "William S. Hart"
Subject: FTE Perf - TFI tester...

Someone posted questioning whether you could test TFI modules or not ... I
found this on stangnet :

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.stangnet.com/tech/tfi.shtml


Does it work? No idea, no TFI's in my garage.

Just my $.02
wish

96 Mustang GT 4.6L
73ish F100 4x4 6.4L
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:58:19 -0700
From: "Bill Beyer"
Subject: FTE Perf - Why me?

OK so the camshaft I've been waiting on that P.A.W. back ordered from
Crower finally arrived today! Yay! So I open it up and start reading through
the installation pamphlet. Everything is cool. Comes with a little tube of
assembly grease. Looks good. Cam is wrapped in plastic surrounded by a
cardboard tube. Check the number on the end of the cam 15241...good seems to
be the right one. Set the cam on the floor of my office to make some phone
calls, check my voice/email. OK, got a few minutes to inspect the new toy.
Pull the end of the plastic to get the cam out of the cardboard tube. Out it
comes...unfortunately unless Crower makes a new 2 piece style cam that I'm
not aware of this baby ain't gonna work! Yep she's busted clean through
right at the second bearing journal. Man I think I'm gonna cry! Call UPS
file a claim, call P.A.W. give 'em the claim #...do they have one in stock?
No...of course not. They'll have to order it! Looks like I might get the
engine together this year if I'm lucky...

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets"



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:26:26 -0700
From: George Miller
Subject: FTE Perf - Discounted Ford Parts

The original message is on my office PC and I can't remember who asked
for this info. This place has an 800 number, internet ordering and same
day shipping with excellent prices on dealer only Ford parts. I've used
them and been very satisfied with the prices and service. Even with
shipping charges they were way under my local dealers prices.

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.kmford.com/

George Miller
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:29:37 -0700
From: Keith Srb
Subject: FTE Perf - Forwarded for Sleddog

>Subject: RE: FTE Perf - Why me?
>Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:53:37 -0400

That really sucks!

Just a thought. C*ncel that order, get your money back if you payed. Call
someplace else and get one right away.
some suggestions...
Ultradyne,
Crower directly,
Summit,
Wolverine,
Comp Cams,
Ford SVO
and more.....

Kevin


- ----------
>From: Bill Beyer[SMTP:bbeyer pacifier.com]
>Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 4:58 PM
>To: Performance List; 61-79 List
>Subject: FTE Perf - Why me?
>
>do they have one in stock?
>No...of course not. They'll have to order it! Looks like I might get the
>engine together this year if I'm lucky...
>
>"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets"
>
>
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: 15 Oct 99 22:33:37 EDT
From: Tim Turner
Subject: Re: [FTE Perf - TFI tester...]

"William S. Hart" wrote:
> Someone posted questioning whether you could test TFI modules or not ..=
=2E I
> found this on stangnet :
> =

> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.stangnet.com/tech/tfi.shtml

What a cool idea!! some points though.

1) Rather than a junkyard the connector is available from NAPA with about=
4"
of wire on it. (I'd prefer a soldered connection to the supplied butt
connectors though.)

2) This still supposes all electrical paths in the mounted module are OK =
so a
'no start' with the piggy-back neither confirms nor denies a module fault=
=2E Of
course if it does start it's a (reasonably) sure diagnosis.

3) The tools needed to change most modules cost less than the module...
sometimes the distributor requires rotating for the change, but a previou=
sly
made mark on the block and dizzy will get you close enough to get home to=
your
timing light.

4) Make the heat sink BIG and use the thermal grease. I'd adapt one of =
the
sinks available from Radio Shack myself if it was planned to be used as m=
ore
than a quick test unit. (Hmmm... I've got a bunch of heat sinks from Cad=
dy
fan control units in my tool box, seems like good candidates for this uni=
t.)

> =

> Does it work? No idea, no TFI's in my garage.

Still the same basic module on yours, just relocated to the
firewall/fenderwell for better cooling and called EDIS with possibly diff=
ering
connectors depending on the vehicles in your stable. The same basic prem=
ise
applies though.


Thanks for the info on a nifty tool Wish!

Tim

____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:00:55 -0400
From: "Gerald Ash"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing

William, one quick question. DO you run headers on your 1977 with the 460
if so are you happy? What part number, brand, ect? 2 or4 Wheel drive.
Thanks I am building one for my 1978 F150.
Gerald
ga1998 hotmail.com
- ----- Original Message -----
From: William A Whited
To: 61-79-list ; perf-list

Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 9:08 PM
Subject: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing


> Well today I had a bad thing happen to my 77. Took
> her in to get the lovely El Paso Emissions test and TX
> Safety Inspection. Passed the emissions with no
> problems. Had some other minor safety issues that
> needed fixed, like the gas caps didn't pass the test.
> Came home got the stuff and was heading back to get the
> sticker, leaving the part store parking lot, smelled a
> little gas, (no biggie had the old caps in the cab with
> me). I got about 10 ft and black smoke from under the
> hood (not GOOD). Stopped opened the hood quickly, had
> a fire on top of the manifold. Ran into the parts
> store and got to fire extinguishers and got her out
> quickly. But not before she burned some spark plug
> wires, fuel filter, rotor cap, and a black spot on my
> nice red paint on the hood. Tomorrow I find out for
> sure on all the damage. This morning the tweaked my
> idle and some other things so the blame is kinda
> falling in between us. One thing of note is the fuel
> filter was one of those clear gas ones, well it has
> plastic fittings on each ends. It appears that the
> fire started there. A fire extinguisher will be with
> me from now on. Could've saved me allot of damage.
>
> --
> William A Whited
> 74 F100 RANGER SUPERCAB 390
> 77 F150 CUSTOM 460
> EL Paso, TX
> SEMPER FI
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:29:07 -0600
From: William A Whited
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing

No. I'm not running headers. Stock exhaust manifold, but runs through 2
1/2 duals dumping right before the rear axle. The heads have been worked by
the previous owner stock cam and new holley 4 brl carb and Edelbrock
manifold. I find that it has more then enough power right now. She up and
gets. I can be up to 60 in a city block without trying really hard. I hate
to think what I will have to do to improve on her.

Gerald Ash wrote:

> William, one quick question. DO you run headers on your 1977 with the 460
> if so are you happy? What part number, brand, ect? 2 or4 Wheel drive.
> Thanks I am building one for my 1978 F150.
> Gerald

- --
William A Whited
74 F100 RANGER SUPERCAB 390
77 F150 CUSTOM 460
EL Paso, TX
SEMPER FI


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:55:01 -1000
From: "Chad"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing

Suggestion: Don't replace that glass filter w/ another one. A glass tube
full of gas in an environment like an engine compartment is a bad
combination. You're not the 1st guy I've heard of that this has happened
to w/ one of these. Get an anodized aluminum filter instead. It might
cost more but the money, time and frustration you save in engine fires is
more than worth it.

Word to everyone out there: If you have 1 of these glass filters, REPLACE
IT ASAP.

===============================================================
Chad Jones
Check out http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lava.net/~chad
and http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7082

- ----------
> From: William A Whited
> To: 61-79-list ; perf-list

> Subject: FTE Perf - BAAAD Thing
> Date: Thursday, October 14, 1999 3:08 PM
>
> Well today I had a bad thing happen to my 77. Took
> her in to get the lovely El Paso Emissions test and TX
> Safety Inspection. Passed the emissions with no
> problems. Had some other minor safety issues that
> needed fixed, like the gas caps didn't pass the test.
> Came home got the stuff and was heading back to get the
> sticker, leaving the part store parking lot, smelled a
> little gas, (no biggie had the old caps in the cab with
> me). I got about 10 ft and black smoke from under the
> hood (not GOOD). Stopped opened the hood quickly, had
> a fire on top of the manifold. Ran into the parts
> store and got to fire extinguishers and got her out
> quickly. But not before she burned some spark plug
> wires, fuel filter, rotor cap, and a black spot on my
> nice red paint on the hood. Tomorrow I find out for
> sure on all the damage. This morning the tweaked my
> idle and some other things so the blame is kinda....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.