From: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com (perf-list-digest)
To: perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: perf-list-digest V2 #184
Reply-To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-perf-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


perf-list-digest Sunday, July 25 1999 Volume 02 : Number 184



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Perf - another problem
FTE Perf - Fried and confused
Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused
FTE Perf - Looking for an Altenator
Re: FTE Perf - Smog Pump
Re: FTE Perf - Auto-engine
Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused
Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:29:51 -0500
From: "Joel Thomas"
Subject: FTE Perf - another problem

thanks to everyone that helped me with my power prblem between 3rd and 4th
shifts, and the problem was my timing it was set at 5 BTDC and it is
supposed to be set at 10 BTDC that takes away a heck of a lot of my low-end
power.
But that brings me to my new problem my truck is an 84 F-150 that has the
TFI-IV ignition(computer controlled)
and it had the feedback carburator that told the computer how far to
advance the distributor in higher RPMS. but i have put a Holley in the
feedback carburators place so know the computer has no idea how to advance
the timing.
my question is i need to adapt an older ignition to my engine how hard is
this. and what are the prices for me to do it myself. I have air
conditioning
does the computer run this?? and it is manual tranny and speedo cable going
to transfer case so that is not computer controlled it seams the computer
jsut controls the distributor(very poorly) now.
what are my options to adapt older ignition and take all computer mess off
is the rewiring hard?

please help,
I have finally found my problem and need a fis pretty fast.

thank you

Joel Thomas mailto:treefort prodigy.net
1984 F-150, 351W, 9", T-18,
Edelbrock intake,Holley 750 vac,
33" BFG MT's.
Little Rock,Ar





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:49:24 -0700
From: "LS"
Subject: FTE Perf - Fried and confused

The ole 87 Bronco's been great till today, just wish I could take it out
back and shoot it. Heres my problems as of 9am this morning:

Hopped in it and the drivers window motor wont drive the window in either
direction but I can move it by hand...........simple motor change I know but
the motor isnt installed in a way for easy change. Any Suggestions?

Now for the fried and confused, after stopping a few places jump back in to
go home, crank it over and the starter continues to run (figured something
wrong with the switch) turned it off, Starter still ran and ran and ran so
being of at least a tad mechanically inclined tried to yank the battery
cable (of course I had no tools) Within 30 seconds of turn of key till hood
open the positive cable is in thermal meltdown. Leather glove in hand I
yanked and yanked until I finally broke the damn thing and the starter shut
down. Can anyone tell me what happened and what possible other things may
have been fried in the process. Thanks


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:48:41 -0400
From: "Thomas J. Teixeira"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused

At 02:49 PM 7/24/1999 -0700, LS wrote:

>Now for the fried and confused, after stopping a few places jump back in to
>go home, crank it over and the starter continues to run (figured something
>wrong with the switch) turned it off, Starter still ran and ran and ran so
>being of at least a tad mechanically inclined tried to yank the battery
>cable (of course I had no tools) Within 30 seconds of turn of key till hood
>open the positive cable is in thermal meltdown. Leather glove in hand I
>yanked and yanked until I finally broke the damn thing and the starter shut
>down. Can anyone tell me what happened and what possible other things may
>have been fried in the process. Thanks

Sounds like the starter relay/switch (sometimes incorrectly referred to as
a solenoid) stuck, although I suppose it is possible the ignition switch is
stuck.

Tom Teixeira mailto:tjt world.std.com
94 Taurus SHO 5-speed NESHOC/SHO Registry
'66 Mustang convertible (200 cid auto) http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://world.std.com/~tjt
'35 Ford Pickup (flathead V8)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:55:16 EDT
From: ACMERCG AOL.COM
Subject: FTE Perf - Looking for an Altenator

I am looking for a heavy duty/ high output altenator for my 92 F-150.
Anyone have any suggestions? With 101k on the motor, the electric fans in,
and a few more sets of lights to add, I'm afraid my alt can't hack it.
Anyone know what the original output should be? At idle I only have 12.2
volts, and if I remember correctly, when I put the new battery in last year,
I had 14.4. Maybe it could be the battery? Hmmm... Optima here I come....

Joe
Lost in Jersey
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:29:36 -0400
From: Tim Turner
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Smog Pump

J Cope wrote:
>
> Anyone know anything about the smog pump in the 2.9L EFI V6 or how I can go
> about disconnecting it? I've heard rumors that it could help gas
> mileage...
> Thanks!

If working properly it's about the most benign thing on your engine.
All it does it pump a bit of air to the exhaust to add Oxygen and
promote further burning of gasses in the exhaust. I dont think you'll
notice the tiny bit it takes to turn it. Usually in the cases where MPG
goes up after it's removal it's due to the system not working properly
and blowing air (O2) on the O2 Sensor resulting in extra (and un-needed)
fuel being added. Air pumps and EGRs are way too misunderstood and
shouldn't be disabled without reason

Tim
>
> JC
>
> ________________________________________________________
> NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you?
> Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:58:39 -0400
From: Tim Turner
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Auto-engine

Justin Farcas wrote:
>
> Autozone engines, long blocks, anyone ever purchased one and/or had a
> problem with them? Reason I'm asking, is because I bought one from
> Autozone about 10 months back, and its burned oil since a got it...
>

Used to know a guy that made a good living doing the warranty pulling
for a mass merchandiser.. I'll stay away myself. Needing an engine for
my B-II I'll either go with a quality name like NAPA or do it myself.
Probably do the reman thing since if there's a problem I can say "Hey
look.. we buy 10-20K worth of parts from you every month; want to lose
it?" I'm sorry, but when it comes to real parts I've seen too many
problems out of the mass marketer houses.. Great place to get filters,
oil, fluids, accessories and such but not for hard parts. Sure a
warranty is cool, but when the part fails there's still the labor; in a
shop environment that's money lost and for a DIY it's driving time
lost. Buy a better quality part and do it once.

Tim
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 23:28:32 -0700
From: "LS"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused

Both checked out , R&Rd the relay (I had a spare), changed the battery cable
, ensured
there was no short to ground on the starter and *POOF* Smoked the damn
thing again on the test round. Now Im really lost.

Lance S
Dead 87 Bronco XLT 5.0
93 T Bird 4.6
72 Stang Convertable 302 AT (Vegas Show winner)
- -----Original Message-----
From: Thomas J. Teixeira
To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Saturday, July 24, 1999 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused


>At 02:49 PM 7/24/1999 -0700, LS wrote:
>
>>Now for the fried and confused, after stopping a few places jump back in
to
>>go home, crank it over and the starter continues to run (figured something
>>wrong with the switch) turned it off, Starter still ran and ran and ran so
>>being of at least a tad mechanically inclined tried to yank the battery
>>cable (of course I had no tools) Within 30 seconds of turn of key till
hood
>>open the positive cable is in thermal meltdown. Leather glove in hand I
>>yanked and yanked until I finally broke the damn thing and the starter
shut
>>down. Can anyone tell me what happened and what possible other things may
>>have been fried in the process. Thanks
>
>Sounds like the starter relay/switch (sometimes incorrectly referred to as
>a solenoid) stuck, although I suppose it is possible the ignition switch is
>stuck.
>
>Tom Teixeira mailto:tjt world.std.com
>94 Taurus SHO 5-speed NESHOC/SHO Registry
>'66 Mustang convertible (200 cid auto) http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://world.std.com/~tjt
>'35 Ford Pickup (flathead V8)
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:49:19 -0400
From: "Thomas J. Teixeira"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Fried and confused

At 11:28 PM 7/24/1999 -0700, LS wrote:
>Both checked out , R&Rd the relay (I had a spare), changed the battery cable
>, ensured
>there was no short to ground on the starter and *POOF* Smoked the damn
>thing again on the test round. Now Im really lost.
>
>Lance S
>Dead 87 Bronco XLT 5.0

Ignition switch? On the starter switch, check to see if you're getting 12V
at the 'S' terminal, even with the key off. Double check the start switch
to make sure the switch isn't shorted between the main terminals.

Is the starter running even without the engine running? A different
possibility is that the starter isn't disengaging from the flywheel. I
don't know how that is supposed to work, but the starter is a DC motor and
will act like a generator if the engine causes it to turn.

I don't know how much of a pain it is, but you could remove the starter
motor and take it to a parts store and have them bench test it.

Tom Teixeira mailto:tjt world.std.com
94 Taurus SHO 5-speed NESHOC/SHO Registry
'66 Mustang convertible (200 cid auto) http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://world.std.com/~tjt
'35 Ford Pickup (flathead V8)....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.