perf-list-digest Saturday, March 20 1999 Volume 02 : Number 061



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE Perf - Oil Pressure
Re: FTE Perf - Oil Pressure
FTE Perf - Edelbrock Performer Intake
FTE Perf - 351C Tunnel Ram

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:13:22 -0500
From: Bryan G Sheffler
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Oil Pressure

George,
The 7.5 quarts are because the remote mount filter, oil cooler and
lines add volume to your oiling system capacity. All that stuff has to
fill up with oil. If the oil filter is not equipped with an anti-drain
back valve, all the oil runs back into the oil pan when the motor is not
running.
What does the pressure read? Is it with in the specifications
listed for the motor? It is normal to have a slight pressure drop when
the oil gets warmer. You have to be careful with some of the oil filter
relocation kits. The inside diameter of the oil lines, fittings and
adapters are not always sized with oil flow in mind-meaning they tend to
be a little small. I bought a relocation system from Transdapt and an
Oberg oil filter kit. It was amazed to see the difference in ID of the
fittings and hoses between the two kits. I opted for the ones that came
with the Oberg filter-larger ID!!! It's a good idea to radius and
chamfer the adapter provided with the kit to bolt to the engines oil
filter mounting base. Most that I've seen need to be smoothed out for
better flow. If the remote mount filter uses standard type oil filters,
you will want to radius and chamfer it too.

Bryan

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:24:35 -0800
From: George Miller
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Oil Pressure

Bryan G Sheffler wrote:
>
> George,
> The 7.5 quarts are because the remote mount filter, oil cooler and
> lines add volume to your oiling system capacity. All that stuff has to
> fill up with oil. If the oil filter is not equipped with an anti-drain
> back valve, all the oil runs back into the oil pan when the motor is not
> running.

I understand what creates the volume. That and the roades lifters are
the
main reson I went to a hi-volume oil pump.

> What does the pressure read? Is it with in the specifications
> listed for the motor? It is normal to have a slight pressure drop when
> the oil gets warmer.

Mechanical guage reads 75 cold, 50 during normal operating temps and
conditions, 45 under hard running and 40-42 when filled full and
operated at
3-4000rpm for extended periods. I get instant oil pressure on cold
starts
so don't feel drainback is a major factor.Don't know what the specs
should
be as I've had three different cams in the same set of bearings but I'm
satisified with the pressures. What baffles me is the drop in pressure
with the additional quart.

You have to be careful with some of the oil filter
> relocation kits. The inside diameter of the oil lines, fittings and
> adapters are not always sized with oil flow in mind-meaning they tend to
> be a little small. I bought a relocation system from Transdapt and an
> Oberg oil filter kit. It was amazed to see the difference in ID of the
> fittings and hoses between the two kits. I opted for the ones that came
> with the Oberg filter-larger ID!!! It's a good idea to radius and
> chamfer the adapter provided with the kit to bolt to the engines oil
> filter mounting base. Most that I've seen need to be smoothed out for
> better flow. If the remote mount filter uses standard type oil filters,
> you will want to radius and chamfer it too.

I used the Transdapt on my first engine and the driver's side header
fried
one of their rubber lines (talk about some REAL smoke!). I then went to
L&L's
remote filter kit and all SS braided lines in, I believe, 3/8"ID. The
cooler
is 1/2"ID fitted down to the 3/8"ID lines on entry and exit but that
should
remain constant under pressure. I do run standard oil filters and will
take
your advice about relieving the filter mount.

Thanks,

George Miller
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:59:38 -0800
From: "Tom Ewing"
Subject: FTE Perf - Edelbrock Performer Intake

I just finished installing a new engine in my truck, including an
Edelbrock Performer intake. I started it for the first time and
and let it run for about 30 minutes and I'm continuing to
get a white? smoke. At least it looks white on a cold rainy
night with my shop doors open. Could I be burning water
from a bad seal of the intake? I tried to follow their
very specific instructions, although I didn't in every case
use the exact brand sealers they suggested. Could it
be something else? I know when I recently pulled the old
motor I did end up unintentionally allowing quite a bit
of water to drain down inside the exhaust system as
I took the old motor apart. Could some of this smoke
also be from this coolant accumulating in the mufflers?
Could it be a defect in the new motor? Any suggestions?
Tom

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:36:27 -0800
From: "Chris Samuel"
Subject: FTE Perf - 351C Tunnel Ram

I apparently have the need for a Tunnel Ram intake manifold for a 4BBL 351
Cleveland. It is funny how these things occur... I don't even own a 351
Cleveland! Yet!
In the interest of preserving our economy (list) and the Planet (used
parts), I'll ask you all if one of you might have such an item. I can get
one new for about $260.00, but if I can find a used one we might both just
come out ahead!-)
If you or a friend have this item and wish to part with it please contact me
off line.
Thankz all
Muel
79 Bronco



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

End of perf-list-digest V2 #61
******************************

+--------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance ----------------+....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.