perf-list-digest Saturday, March 13 1999 Volume 02 : Number 058



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
Re: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
Re: FTE Perf - Re F-100's!
FTE Perf - FE cams
RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
RE: FTE Perf - FE cams
FTE Perf - Introduction
Re: FTE Perf - Introduction
Re: FTE Perf - FE cams
Re: FTE Perf - Introduction
RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
Re: FTE Perf - Introduction
RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
FTE Perf - FE Pushrods
Re: FTE Perf - FE Pushrods
FTE Perf - Choosing a camshaft
FTE Perf - radiator question
RE: FTE Perf - Choosing a camshaft
FTE Perf - ADMIN: Web site updates
Re: FTE Perf - radiator question

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:14:39 PST
From: "Jeremy Taylor"
Subject: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild

Ok Gang-
you've got me pumped as to pulling the motor, but now i need some good
info on the tricks for this engine.

Summit is only about 45 miles from me, so i was thinking of dealing
directly with them. I plan on buying a complete overhaul kit so i don't
have to piece this and that together.

With the 460, I've heard it's "different" as far as getting into its
guts. I've worked/heard enough about engines to know the basic
procedures but what's special about this one that requires extra care or
ways of doing things.

Thanks for all your help-

Jeremy Taylor
88 F-250HD, with a coughing Big Block


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:09:45 -0800
From: George Miller
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild

My experience is limited to the pre-79 blocks but I can't see where the
block could change that much. If it's going to remain stock (Your FI and
processor would limit most mods if you have to be blessed by the
emmissions Gestapo), you'll need a manual for clearances and torque
values. With a decent manual, rebuilding a cylinder assembly or the
engine is no big deal. There are many good manuals for the older stuff
but I don't follow the newer blocks. Somebody on the list can probably
steer you to a good manual. If you're doing just the one cylinder, a
library is free.

No 'tricks' for rebuilding a 460 that I'm aware of. Most of my mistakes
and ignorance about the 460 have shined in the valve train assembly.
Just stick to the specs and make sure the assembly process is clean.
After the repairs, start it with clean oil, then change the oil and
filter after an initial 30 minute run-in. Keep the list posted on your
progress.

George Miller

ps: When you price the gasket set, bearings and rings for one piston,
keep in mind that many places sell entire rebuild kits, including new
pistons and bearings in standard sizes (no cylinder boring), for under
$400. That would make your block assembly better than new. And you'll
already have it out and easy to work on..........


Jeremy Taylor wrote:
>
> Ok Gang-
> you've got me pumped as to pulling the motor, but now i need some good
> info on the tricks for this engine.
>
> Summit is only about 45 miles from me, so i was thinking of dealing
> directly with them. I plan on buying a complete overhaul kit so i don't
> have to piece this and that together.
>
> With the 460, I've heard it's "different" as far as getting into its
> guts. I've worked/heard enough about engines to know the basic
> procedures but what's special about this one that requires extra care or
> ways of doing things.
>
> Thanks for all your help-
>
> Jeremy Taylor
> 88 F-250HD, with a coughing Big Block
>
>
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:09:02 EST
From: L7514 AOL.COM
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Re F-100's!

I agree Ark, Old Iron Rules. Very inspiring story. Glad you got the ol girl
back on the road & makin some noise. Thanks again.
Lance
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:30:02 -0800
From: "J.S.H."
Subject: FTE Perf - FE cams

"Anyway here's what the cam has to say ... its a Melling ...

Cam Lift .296 .311 (intake/exhaust)
Valve Lift .512 .538
SAE Duration 292/302
0.050 Duration 214/224
Lobe Centers 104/120"

Are these the specs. for the Melling FE RV cam?If so I'm running the
same cam in my 428.Should I have a little more cam?I'm happy with the
way it runs now,but..... (you guys know the rest)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:04:25 -0500
From: Sleddog
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild

only thing i can think of OTTOMH is when replacing the front crank seal in
the timing cover, many people crack their cover. it is a job best done
carefully! also, i know there are 2 differenttypes of seals. years each
used?? i don't know.

sleddog

- ----------
From: Jeremy Taylor[SMTP:jetman36 hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 8:14 PM
To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild

Ok Gang-
you've got me pumped as to pulling the motor, but now i need some good
info on the tricks for this engine.

Summit is only about 45 miles from me, so i was thinking of dealing
directly with them. I plan on buying a complete overhaul kit so i don't
have to piece this and that together.

With the 460, I've heard it's "different" as far as getting into its
guts. I've worked/heard enough about engines to know the basic
procedures but what's special about this one that requires extra care or
ways of doing things.

Thanks for all your help-

Jeremy Taylor
88 F-250HD, with a coughing Big Block


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:02:37 -0500
From: Sleddog
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - FE cams

If you are happy, then you got the right cam! If you want more go, then
the next bigger cam, or a slightly different grind will be in order. but
really you answered you own question by saying you are happy with it now.

sleddog

- ----------
From: J.S.H.[SMTP:F428 ford-trucks.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 9:30 PM
To: perf
Subject: FTE Perf - FE cams

Are these the specs. for the Melling FE RV cam?If so I'm running the
same cam in my 428.Should I have a little more cam?I'm happy with the
way it runs now,but..... (you guys know the rest)





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:33:32 -0600
From: "Jason"
Subject: FTE Perf - Introduction

Hi all. I've been lurking on this list for a few months now and thought I'd
introduce myself. My name is Jason and I live in southern Illinois. I have
an 89 F-150 4x4 that I've worked on for about 3 years now. It has a rebuilt
5.0 H.O. with ported heads and cam. I've converted it to mass air with the
Motorsports kit. It has a Powerdyne 6psi blower, Motorsports shorty
headers, dual exhaust, 24lb injectors, C&L 73mm MAF, and a K&N filter. I
had the stock 3.55 ring and pinion gears replaced with 4.10's recently, and
had an Auburn limited slip installed. The transmission is a stock AOD
except for a Transgo shift kit. I've been thinking about buying an
Edelbrock intake manifold. Does anyone have experience with Edelbrock's
truck manifold? Is it a direct replacement? Was it worth the money?

I live about one hour from Gateway International dragstrip which is near St.
Louis. Hopefully I'll be able to time my truck when they open the track back
up. Does anyone else live near this dragstrip?

Later,
Jason



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:46:53 -0600
From: Derek Lockett
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Introduction

They.re worth the money plus some


Jason wrote:

> Hi all. I've been lurking on this list for a few months now and thought I'd
> introduce myself. My name is Jason and I live in southern Illinois. I have
> an 89 F-150 4x4 that I've worked on for about 3 years now. It has a rebuilt
> 5.0 H.O. with ported heads and cam. I've converted it to mass air with the
> Motorsports kit. It has a Powerdyne 6psi blower, Motorsports shorty
> headers, dual exhaust, 24lb injectors, C&L 73mm MAF, and a K&N filter. I
> had the stock 3.55 ring and pinion gears replaced with 4.10's recently, and
> had an Auburn limited slip installed. The transmission is a stock AOD
> except for a Transgo shift kit. I've been thinking about buying an
> Edelbrock intake manifold. Does anyone have experience with Edelbrock's
> truck manifold? Is it a direct replacement? Was it worth the money?
>
> I live about one hour from Gateway International dragstrip which is near St.
> Louis. Hopefully I'll be able to time my truck when they open the track back
> up. Does anyone else live near this dragstrip?
>
> Later,
> Jason
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:38:44 -0600
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - FE cams

At 08:30 PM 3/11/99 , you wrote:
>"Anyway here's what the cam has to say ... its a Melling ...
>
>Cam Lift .296 .311 (intake/exhaust)
>Valve Lift .512 .538
>SAE Duration 292/302
>0.050 Duration 214/224
>Lobe Centers 104/120"
>
>Are these the specs. for the Melling FE RV cam?If so I'm running the

No, I think this cam is a bit heavier than the RV cams, I mentioned them
and the guy who was doing the rebuild didn't think an RV grind would be
enough, and since I don't do any serious pulling (I only pull when I'm
laughing :) I could get away with a heavier cam.


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:41:06 -0600
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Introduction

>Hi all. I've been lurking on this list for a few months now and thought I'd
>introduce myself. My name is Jason and I live in southern Illinois. I have
>an 89 F-150 4x4 that I've worked on for about 3 years now. It has a rebuilt
>I live about one hour from Gateway International dragstrip which is near St.
>Louis. Hopefully I'll be able to time my truck when they open the track back
>up. Does anyone else live near this dragstrip?
>

Hey Jason, welcome to the list. Sounds like you've got a pretty nice
truck. I don't live down there near you, but I am from the Quad Cities
(Davenport/Rock Island etc.), just a couple of hours north. Good luck at
the strip :)


Just my 2cents

wish

Links http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/links.html
'73 1/2 ton 4x4 Ford http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/truck.html
'96 Mustang GT http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wish/mustang.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:23:51 -0800
From: "O'Connell, Dennis M"
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild

I don't know if the 460 is still a pedestal type of rocker. If it is and
you decide to go with a new stud and adjustables, be very careful with your
valve geometry. Stock pushrods may or may not work. Check it out and make
sure the rocker is centering on the valve stem.

If you need more info, let me know. Been there, done that.

Dennis (DMO1 PGE.com)

> ----------
> From: perf-list ford-trucks.com[SMTP:perf-list ford-trucks.com]
> Reply To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 6:04 PM
> To: 'perf-list ford-trucks.com'
> Subject: RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
>
> only thing i can think of OTTOMH is when replacing the front crank seal in
>
> the timing cover, many people crack their cover. it is a job best done
> carefully! also, i know there are 2 differenttypes of seals. years each
> used?? i don't know.
>
> sleddog
>
> ----------
> From: Jeremy Taylor[SMTP:jetman36 hotmail.com]
> Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 8:14 PM
> To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
>
> Ok Gang-
> you've got me pumped as to pulling the motor, but now i need some good
> info on the tricks for this engine.
>
> Summit is only about 45 miles from me, so i was thinking of dealing
> directly with them. I plan on buying a complete overhaul kit so i don't
> have to piece this and that together.
>
> With the 460, I've heard it's "different" as far as getting into its
> guts. I've worked/heard enough about engines to know the basic
> procedures but what's special about this one that requires extra care or
> ways of doing things.
>
> Thanks for all your help-
>
> Jeremy Taylor
> 88 F-250HD, with a coughing Big Block
>
>
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:44:59 EST
From: FLR150 AOL.COM
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Introduction

Jason,
I checked out the Edlebrock on a try it before you buy it deal. I liked it on
the top end..but it kinda gives up some torque to give you that high rpm
power. And since we have beat that subject to death already I'll leave it
alone.
Wayne Foy
'94 Flareside SC
"Hazardous Material"
Wayne's Flareside Page
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:31:42 -0500
From: TracyJones Cinergy.com
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild

> ----------
> From: O'Connell, Dennis M[SMTP:DMO1 pge.com]
> Sent: Friday, March 12, 1999 10:23 AM
> To: 'perf-list ford-trucks.com'
> Subject: RE: FTE Perf - 460 Rebuild
>
> I don't know if the 460 is still a pedestal type of rocker. If it is and
> you decide to go with a new stud and adjustables, be very careful with
> your
> valve geometry. Stock pushrods may or may not work. Check it out and
> make
> sure the rocker is centering on the valve stem.
>
> If you need more info, let me know. Been there, done that.
>
> Dennis (DMO1 PGE.com)
>
>
It's been a few years sense I've been into my 429 but this is what I recall
about stock applications:

'71 and earlier heads have non-adjustable stud mounted rockers while '72 and
later heads have pedestal mounted rockers.
Lifter Preload is the distance the lifter piston is depressed, with the
heads installed, pushrod in place and rocker torqued. If memory serves,
your looking for .010" - .030" piston depression. ALWAYS check the lifter
preload on each lifter. Non-adjust. stud rockers are adjusted by using
different length pushrods. Crane makes a nifty shim kit for pedestal style
rockers.

As always, confirm this with a good manual.

Good luck
Tracy
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:59:47 -0600
From: William S Hart
Subject: FTE Perf - FE Pushrods

Does anyone have a recommendation for pushrods for the 390 I'm putting
together? I have all the old ones, haven't checked to see if they're bent
yet, but wanted to see if I would be ahead getting new ones, or just
cleaning up the ones I have (and replacing the bent ones) ... its a
hydraulic lifter cam, non adjustable rockers, etc.

Thoughts ?

Thanks
wish
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:43:17 -0500
From: Bryan G Sheffler
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - FE Pushrods

Wish,
With the cost of new push rods from a name brand manufacturer (like
Crane, Comp Cams and etc) it hard to justify not using new ones. The
push rods should cost around $30 for a complete set of 16. Bottom line -
GET NEW push rods.

Bryan

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:59:47 -0600 William S Hart
writes:
>Does anyone have a recommendation for pushrods for the 390 I'm putting
>together? I have all the old ones, haven't checked to see if they're
>bent
>yet, but wanted to see if I would be ahead getting new ones, or just
>cleaning up the ones I have (and replacing the bent ones) ... its a
>hydraulic lifter cam, non adjustable rockers, etc.
>
>Thoughts ?
>
>Thanks
>wish
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
>http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:41:58 PST
From: "Bryan Smith"
Subject: FTE Perf - Choosing a camshaft

I read somewhere that when choosing a camshaft you should choose one
with short duration for trucks and one with longer duration for cars.
Why is this true?
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:42:10 PST
From: "Bryan Smith"
Subject: FTE Perf - radiator question

Would the stock radiator for a '81 F-100 with and I6-300 be good enough
for a 302? The 302 will be a streat engine but will be revved quite a
bit.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:46:17 -0500
From: Sleddog
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - Choosing a camshaft

basically, because trucks are heavier and sometimes actually do work.

you see, to make it short, longer duration cams and longer valve overlap
periods work better at higher rpms, moving the torque curve up in rpms.
the opposite is true for short duration and short valve overlaps.

so, generally in a truck one would want low rpm performance to move the
truck off the line better with the heavier weight, or responsiveness for
slow crawling in rough terrain, etc. the car on the other hand doesn't
need that.

sleddog

- ----------
From: Bryan Smith[SMTP:bryansmith72 hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 1999 2:41 PM
To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: FTE Perf - Choosing a camshaft

I read somewhere that when choosing a camshaft you should choose one
with short duration for trucks and one with longer duration for cars.
Why is this true?





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:37:57 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE Perf - ADMIN: Web site updates

The following updates have been made to the Ford Truck
Enthusiasts web site:

- - Pictorial updated. I'm still behind with the pictorials
as we've had tons of submissions lately. If you didn't
get an email stated that your truck is now on the web
site, then it isn't there yet. Please be patient.

- - Although I already announced this, it bears repeating:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts now has access to Ford Motor
Company press releases and has a link on our main page
to these. Get the latest Ford truck news here. This
should be a useful service.

- - Products page updated with several new items.

- - The events page has several new events.

- - The clubs section of the links has been expanded. As
many of you know, Ford Truck Enthusiasts gives free
web space and an email address to non-profit Ford
truck clubs. We've got 3 online now with 2 more in
the next couple of weeks. If you belong to a Ford
truck club, let them know about this offer. There are
no obligations other than a simple link.

On a different note, if you're one of the people who
designed a t-shirt for our contest this past fall, please
email me your mailing address. I haven't forgotten
about the prize pack, just got behind. I have prize
packs ready to mail.

Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.