perf-list-digest Thursday, February 11 1999 Volume 02 : Number 035



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE Perf - Headers
FTE Perf - overheating??
FTE Perf - overheating II the undiscovered coolant
FTE Perf - Guage
RE: FTE Perf - overheating II the undiscovered coolant
Re: FTE Perf - Guage
Re: FTE Perf - Identify this
Re: FTE Perf - overheating??
Re: FTE Perf - overheating??
FTE Perf - Headers for an Explorer
RE: FTE Perf - Headers for an Explorer
FTE Perf - ADMIN: A.R.E Tonneau covers and truck caps

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 05:51:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck Stephens
Subject: FTE Perf - Headers

I'm looking for a set of headers for my 60 F-100. I have a 69 429 in
it. I have found some for a 73-78 2 wheel drive 460 Pickup. My
question is will they fit?
Hedman told me that they would take them back and I would only be out
shipping charges. Any ideas?



_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:17:22 -0600
From: William S Hart
Subject: FTE Perf - overheating??

Well I thought I would update everyone on what I did last night before we
get runaway ideas. My heat gauge was indicating that my motor was
overheating after highway then city driving ...

At any rate I followed the advice of several people on the list (thanks by
the way), and got a mechanical heat gauge. Took me under an hour to
install in the truck and then headed into town. Kinda scared me at first
because as the truck was warming up the gauge wasn't moving, then all the
sudden it jumped up to 165 ... not overheating (barely warm), but it was a
jump and that's what the other gauge had been doing. Maybe it was stuck
from being shipped, but at any rate it ran a steady 170 all night. It
moved up to 178 or so when I had to sit at a light for an extended period,
but dropped right back to 170 as soon as I moved. I wasn't takin it easy
'cause I wanted to see if it would do what the electric gauge had shown.
The warmest it got was 200 or 210 after I shut it off for 5 minutes then
started it again, it dropped right back to 170.

So thanks to everyone, now I just gotta make sure my grounding and
everything is good if I go back to the elec. gauge, its kind a nice to know
the exact numbers though ...


Thanks again
wish
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:44:22 -0800
From: Don Grossman
Subject: FTE Perf - overheating II the undiscovered coolant

Hey there all

We got a fresh blanket of snow (1/2") so I decided to go tooling around a
bit in the 63. I went up a long steep hill in 3rd gear with no problem. I got
to the top stopped a minute and went to turn around and just about then steam
came out from every corner of the engine compartment. I'm thinking, great
radiator hose just blew or something. After the steam subsided a little and
low and behold all the hoses are still there. It all came out the overflow. I
have never had it boil over like that, not even in 100 deg whether let alone in
the 30's.

The temp gauge never spiked or went out of it's normal range and everything
seemed normal up to the point that it boiled over. It did give me a real
chance to look over some of my hoses and I will be replacing them soon. But
what would make it so spontaneously erupt like that?

- --
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net


99 Contour SE Sport
63 F-100 4x4 with 3/4 ton running gear and most of the trimmings.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:51:11 -0500
From: am14 daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: FTE Perf - Guage

William Hart writes: >>DOH! how would I check the gauge itself ? can I
replace the gauge without
replacing the whole cluster ?

Maybe I'll just refit my 96 GT cluster into it ?? :) j/k But seriously
can I test the gauge separately and can I replace just the gauge if it is bad ?


What I should have said was the Cluster of Gauges. Do any other of your gauges
fluctuate???
There is a 5 volt regulator in the clusters that feeds the fuel, oil, and temp
gauges(I think). They are notorious for giving problems, and usually these are
the problem, but you should be able to see fluctuations in the other guages, if
this is the case. There just might be some intermittent connection where the
guage is connected to the PC board(I think it plugs in). Try to clean all the
terminals(connections) in the area on the rear of the cluster where the temp
gauge resides.

You can test the gauge by removing it from the cluster and grounding one side
and applying voltage varying from 1.5 volts to 5 volts to the other side and
watching the movement of the needle.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:02:17 -0700
From: "Giddens, Scott"
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - overheating II the undiscovered coolant

Frozen cooling system
Stuck thermostat
Broken fan belt


> -----Original Message-----
> From:Don Grossman [SMTP:duckdon pacific.net]
> Sent:Wednesday, February 10, 1999 8:44 AM
> To:perf-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject:FTE Perf - overheating II the undiscovered coolant
>
> Hey there all
>
> We got a fresh blanket of snow (1/2") so I decided to go tooling
> around a
> bit in the 63. I went up a long steep hill in 3rd gear with no problem.
> I got
> to the top stopped a minute and went to turn around and just about then
> steam
> came out from every corner of the engine compartment. I'm thinking, great
> radiator hose just blew or something. After the steam subsided a little
> and
> low and behold all the hoses are still there. It all came out the
> overflow. I
> have never had it boil over like that, not even in 100 deg whether let
> alone in
> the 30's.
>
> The temp gauge never spiked or went out of it's normal range and
> everything
> seemed normal up to the point that it boiled over. It did give me a real
> chance to look over some of my hoses and I will be replacing them soon.
> But
> what would make it so spontaneously erupt like that?
>
> --
> Don Grossman
> duckdon pacific.net
>
>
> 99 Contour SE Sport
> 63 F-100 4x4 with 3/4 ton running gear and most of the trimmings.
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:10:29 -0600
From: William S Hart
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Guage

>What I should have said was the Cluster of Gauges. Do any other of your
gauges
>fluctuate???
>There is a 5 volt regulator in the clusters that feeds the fuel, oil, and temp
>gauges(I think). They are notorious for giving problems, and usually
these are
>the problem, but you should be able to see fluctuations in the other
guages, if
>this is the case.

Yeah I've seen this happen before in a few cars (shoot the car's
overheating ... but hey i've got more gas now too!), and my gauges were all
okay except for the gas gauge ... which got me thinking ... my gas gauge
has been way off for quite a while, then the other day I was in a snow
drift and broke the wire from the sending unit ... that would have been
about the same time my heat gauge started screwin up, I'm wonderin if I
didn't have some funky grounding thing going on, I'm gonna reconnect the
fuel gauge in the next couple of days and see if it works any better with
the heat gauge disconnected...


There just might be some intermittent connection where the
>guage is connected to the PC board(I think it plugs in). Try to clean all the
>terminals(connections) in the area on the rear of the cluster where the temp
>gauge resides.
>
Always a good idea, I'll remember that next time I've got the dash apart
(should be this weekend)


>You can test the gauge by removing it from the cluster and grounding one side
>and applying voltage varying from 1.5 volts to 5 volts to the other side and
>watching the movement of the needle.
>

Any handy little instruments to apply a varying voltage like that, but
don't cost me a ton of money ??

As usual, thanks Azie :)

wish
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:39:25 -0500
From: Garr&Pam
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - Identify this

Robert F. Davis wrote:
>
> At 06:09 PM 02/09/99 EST, you wrote:
> I can't believe your dealer doesn't know what kind of trans you have in
> your truck.
> Your truck should have an "E4OD", which they have been using since about
> 1989 behind V-8's
> (I assume you have a V-8, since you have a SC.)
>
> a:Go to a trans shop and ask them to identify it for you. All they have to
> do is look underneath.
> b:You look at (the trans oilpan), if it's almost as big as your engine's
> oil pan, then it's an E4OD.
> They are an exceptionally large trans. much bigger than a C-6.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Bob Davis
> "Beater"
>
> >This is a resend as I had my computer crash and eat all my offline mail
> >downloads.
> >Thanks again for any help you can give.
> >Wayne
> >
> >Gang,
> >Here we go again. I have been having trouble identifying the trans. I have in
> >my truck. The transmission code on the door sticker is "U". The only number
> >that I have been able to find or see on my trans. is "RF-F4ZP-7006-AA". That
> >number is located on the drivers side of the tranny just behind the shift
> >linkage. I also have the stalk mounted OD off switch.
> >The VIN # is 1FTEX15N1RKA19590 if that helps. I have tried to go up to the
> >local for dealer and have them run the OASIS on it, but of course,
> everytime I
> >go up there the system is supposedly down. You can either post the answer or
> >contact me off list.
> >Thanks,
> >Wayne Foy
> >'94 Flareside Supercab
> >"Hazardous Material"
> > Wayne's Flareside Page
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

The E4OD went bhind all the available engines but the 302 and 300 could
have the aod-e....I am assuming that Wayne has the E4OD just because the
reason the aod-e did not go behind the bigger motors was they could not
handle the extra torque...and from his numbers he posted he should of
torn the aode up by now!
Chris
94 Lightning #381
NLOC #238
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:49:49 -0500
From: "GaryBBB"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - overheating??

Date sent: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:17:22 -0600
From: William S Hart
Subject: FTE Perf - overheating??

> install in the truck and then headed into town. Kinda scared me at first
> because as the truck was warming up the gauge wasn't moving, then all the
> sudden it jumped up to 165 ... not overheating (barely warm), but it was a

If your sender is on the thermostat housing or water pump it will not
see engine temp until the thermostat opens. Relocate it in the
water cross over (on 302,351W or 460/429) in the manifold or in
one of the plugs in the heads and you should see a gradual
increase in temp.

Michigan Pot Hole Jumping, 78 Bronco Loving, Gary
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:15:50 -0800
From: "Bill Beyer"
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - overheating??

Hey Gary,

Welcome back!

- -----Original Message-----
From: GaryBBB
To: perf-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, February 10, 1999 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: FTE Perf - overheating??


>
>If your sender is on the thermostat housing or water pump it will not
>see engine temp until the thermostat opens. Relocate it in the
>water cross over (on 302,351W or 460/429) in the manifold or in
>one of the plugs in the heads and you should see a gradual
>increase in temp.
>
>Michigan Pot Hole Jumping, 78 Bronco Loving, Gary



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:00:52 EST
From: Genlee97 AOL.COM
Subject: FTE Perf - Headers for an Explorer

I was wondering if you guys knew of any sources that had headers for a 1991
Explorer with 4wd and the 4.0L V6. The only ones that I can find are from
Borla. I was also wondering if any of you had experiences with headers on an
engine like this. Any advice or comments?

P.S. I have also ordered a Flowmaster exhaust for the truck
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:26:23 -0500
From: J Cope
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - Headers for an Explorer

Check Edelbrock. www.edelbrock.com

JC

- -----Original Message-----
From:Genlee97 AOL.COM [SMTP:Genlee97 AOL.COM]
Sent:Wednesday, February 10, 1999 10:01 PM
To:perf-list ford-trucks.com
Subject:FTE Perf - Headers for an Explorer

I was wondering if you guys knew of any sources that had headers for a 1991
Explorer with 4wd and the 4.0L V6. The only ones that I can find are from
Borla. I was also wondering if any of you had experiences with headers on an
engine like this. Any advice or comments?

P.S. I have also ordered a Flowmaster exhaust for the truck
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:15:15 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE Perf - ADMIN: A.R.E Tonneau covers and truck caps

Dear Ford Truck Enthusiasts list members:

We have a new advertiser on our web site. Since the beginning,
our practice with web site advertisers has been to make a brief
announcement for 2 days (this is day 2 of 2). This is our only
exception to commercial advertising on our lists. Please show
your appreciation to them for helping to support the web site
and the lists by checking out their site:

"A.R.E. is proud to introduce a full line of fiberglass truck caps and
tonneau covers for Ford F150s, Super Duty's, and Ford Rangers to Ford
Truck Enthusiasts. Along with our award winning fiberglass tonneau
cover, we also have a complete product line of five different styles of
fiberglass truck caps. More information about A.R.E. and our products
can be found at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.4are.com."....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.