Return-Path:
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:27:04 -0400 (EDT) To: fordtrucks-digest lofcom.com
From: digest-proc lofcom.com
Subject: fordtrucks Digest v97 n0046
Reply-To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Volume 97 Number 0046 fordtrucks Digest

Today's Topics:

re: '61 vacuum advance
California prices
Unsubscribe
To warranty or not?
To warranty or not?
47 2 ton question
Status '61 vacuum advance
Re: Status '61 vacuum advance
RE:running without oil
Re: 47 2 ton question
RE:running without oil
Attn: Bob Moore
RE:running without oil
Re: To warranty or not?
F100 New exhaust.

Re: your mailextend? what? why?
Re: To warranty or not?
1985 or 86 Ford TRanger Turbodiesel
Re: To warranty or not?
FW: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
RE: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
RE: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
1992 Flareside Dying!
400 ford engine
Re: 47 F 2 ton question
Napco parts
Re: 400 ford engine


* PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE DIGEST IN REPLIES TO THE LIST! *

--------------------------------------------------

>From mmiller dryden.net Tue Apr 15 23:34:27 1997 From: "Mitch Miller" Subject: re: '61 vacuum advance
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

This may or may not apply. Take a look at the carb accelerator pump to see if the throttle linkage is connected in the right position. Different positions for different seasons, eh?

(My reply may seem a little tardy as I am a digest subscriber)

Mitch
mmiller dryden.net













------------------------------
>From yhtlines surfari.net Tue Apr 15 23:49:01 1997 From: yhtlines surfari.net
Subject: California prices
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Spent a couple of hours at the local wrecked truck emporium today.
Interesting. I was there to get some parts for my son's recently purchased '88 F150 4X. As they have the only game in town, I had to pay their prices.....

$45 for a spare tire carrier and $25 for a spare tire and wheel....I did snag a head light knob and a wiper arm.

They had all their 70's Ford trucks marked for crushing to be replaced with cars in a pick/pull operation. Very few 80's models there. Just few wrecks.
He stated they get most their vehicles now from smog test failures. I did note them parting out vehicles that were obviously driven in.

Question: while there I noted the presence of several nice rear anti-sway bars, but on 2x vehicles. Since my son's is a 4X, I wondered what it would take to make one of these work, other than longer chassis support arms. Any body got a 4x with a rear sway bar? His 88 stands (stock) three inches taller at the fender well than my 2X 95 F150.

I had my 95 F150 and his 95 GMC both up for sale this weekend, and not a single call came in. Is this a bad tax time or what?

Dave Lampert yhtlines surfari.net



------------------------------
>From davnport gfherald.infi.net Wed Apr 16 00:00:44 1997 From: Trent Davenport Subject: Unsubscribe
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Please unsubscribe me. It's been nice, maybe some other time when I have more time!


------------------------------
>From JIM.E.CRAWFORD conoco.dupont.com Wed Apr 16 08:55:09 1997 From: JIM.E.CRAWFORD conoco.dupont.com
X400-Originator: JIM.E.CRAWFORD conoco.dupont.com X400-Recipients: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com
X400-Mts-Identifier: [/PRMD=CONOCO/ADMD=MCI/C=US/;0010000002991713000004] X400-Content-Type: P2-1988 (22)
Subject: To warranty or not?
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note From: Crawford, Jim E.
To: Inline Internet Addressing
Subject: To warranty or not?
Date: 1997-04-16 07:54
Message ID: 1962EA45
Conversation ID: 1962EA45

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hello all! I would like to hear what everyone thinks about Ford's factory bumper-bumper warranties. I recently purchased a '95 F-150xl, 300 I-6, 5spd standard. I'm about 1500 miles away from the end of the original 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty and am wondering whether I should renew or not!
I'm not a mechanic, I just love to drive my truck, fix it up, and yes, even wax and clean it! I'm being told that to extend my warranty, I will need to pay approximately $500-600 for an additional 36k miles, and have a $100 deductible.

I don't plan on making any serious modifications....maybe just adding a power chip, fatter tires, etc.

Your help is much appreciated!



------------------------------
>From jhazewinkel EXODUS.VALPO.EDU Wed Apr 16 09:31:38 1997 From: Jeff Hazewinkel Subject: 47 2 ton question
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

I am evaluating the purchase of a 47 2 ton that has been sitting for about 20 years. The body is in good condition and the original flathead 8 cyl with 35,000 miles on it is under the hood. I have a good feeling what the chassis is worth, but am struggling regarding the engine. If the engine could easily be made to run again, the truck is worth more that if I have to find another engine. Is there an easy way to evaluate an engine of a truck sitting in a field to see if it has potential ? I understand there is no was to be 100 % certain, but I would like to have a little confidence.

Jeff


------------------------------
>From kulige vitro.bloomington.in.us Wed Apr 16 09:50:38 1997 From: kulige vitro.bloomington.in.us
Subject: Status '61 vacuum advance
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Hey everyone,

An update to my '61 (well actually it's a '59) vacuum advance...

(Thanx to all the folks who responded to my question!)

Firstly, I have verified that my accelerator pump is working since I can see the jets spraying fuel into the barrels when I hit the throttle.

I then disconnected the vacuum advance and hooked up a flexible hose to the fitting and blew into it and the diaphram was leaking like it wasn't even there!! Went down to NAPA for a new unit. A couple days later, (this morning in fact) I picked up the new unit on the way into work. I plan to pop that sucker (literally!) in tonight.
I'll let you know what I find out....

Can anyone out there in cyber-truckster-land recommend a conversion kit that will allow me to use a modern spin-on oil filter in place of my canister-type filter? The engine is a '59 292 Y-block, and I find that changing that canister is a real pain, and sometimes it leaks.

Thanks in advance.
Eric



Take a look at the carb accelerator pump to see
> if the throttle linkage is connected in the right position. Different
> positions for different seasons, eh?
>
> (My reply may seem a little tardy as I am a digest subscriber)
>
> Mitch
> mmiller dryden.net
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com
>
>
=============================
"Happy Days"
1961 F100 Pick'em up Truck
w/'59 292 Y-block
=============================


------------------------------
>From varners ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us Wed Apr 16 10:16:08 1997 From: Stuart Varner Subject: Re: Status '61 vacuum advance
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

kulige vitro.bloomington.in.us wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> An update to my '61 (well actually it's a '59) vacuum advance...
>
> (Thanx to all the folks who responded to my question!)
>
> Firstly, I have verified that my accelerator pump is working since I
> can see the jets spraying fuel into the barrels when I hit the
> throttle.
>
> I then disconnected the vacuum advance and hooked up a flexible hose
> to the fitting and blew into it and the diaphram was leaking like it
> wasn't even there!! Went down to NAPA for a new unit. A couple days
> later, (this morning in fact) I picked up the new unit on the way
> into work. I plan to pop that sucker (literally!) in tonight.
> I'll let you know what I find out....
>
> Can anyone out there in cyber-truckster-land recommend a conversion
> kit that will allow me to use a modern spin-on oil filter in place of
> my canister-type filter? The engine is a '59 292 Y-block, and I find
> that changing that canister is a real pain, and sometimes it leaks.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Eric
>
> Take a look at the carb accelerator pump to see
> > if the throttle linkage is connected in the right position. Different
> > positions for different seasons, eh?
> >
> > (My reply may seem a little tardy as I am a digest subscriber)
> >
> > Mitch
> > mmiller dryden.net
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________________________________________________________________
> > Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> > To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> > For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> > Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com
> >
> >
> =============================
> "Happy Days"
> 1961 F100 Pick'em up Truck
> w/'59 292 Y-block
> =============================
>
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com Obsolete Ford Parts in OK City (1800.654.3247) has a conversion kit for for all 1952-1956 overhead valve engines. This may work

Call and ask. Part Number B7A-6882-A $19.95


------------------------------
>From lsmeins ball.com Wed Apr 16 11:04:31 1997 From: lsmeins ball.com (Larry Smeins)
Subject: RE:running without oil
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

>Today on the way to work I learned what it means to leave the old gasket
>behind when replacing oil filters. I don't think I sat idling w/o oil
>pressure for more than 1-2 minutes. I had no oil pressure but enough Mobil1
>in the pan *not* to trigger the check oil light of my 1993 4.0 Ranger.
>
>Question: What do folks suggest I do to minimize further damage? I'm
>planning to change oil and filter tonight.
>*Big* Question: How much damage did I do?

If you only idled 1 to 2 minutes without oil pressure it is most likely that any damage done will be insignificant. I had a similar thing happen several years ago on a Chrysler 318 and had no problems after replacing the filter and oil. I had an employee in the late 60s that drove a Porsche 356 5 miles with no oil pump, he thought his oil pressure switch had failed, and upon tear down there was no apparent damage. The fact you were using Mobil 1 makes it even less likely damage has occurred. If damage has occurred it will be rod or main bearing scuffing and when that happens all hell breaks loose, you will soon know it.

Put the new oil and filter in and drive your truck. If you've been blessed with an oil pressure gauge watch it for a loss of pressure. You should be OK.

Larry
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.



------------------------------
>From wsabers sunflowr.usd.edu Wed Apr 16 11:11:43 1997 X-Authentication-Warning: sunburst.usd.edu: wsabers owned process doing -bs From: William Sabers Subject: Re: 47 2 ton question
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Jeff,
From what little experience with 'ole flatheads and other motors (in general) that have sat around for a long time....

1) pour transmission fluid down the carb (until you are sure there is a
good amount in each cylinder).
2) let it sit for awhile... like a couple days. let the fluid penetrate
and work around the parts.
3) a few days later try to turn the crank with a 1/2" drive. If it takes
more, you are simply damaging the engine which may, by this time,
be only a pile of rusted or welded metal.

This is to make sure the rings will not scratch the block up or if they are rusted, it may loosen them up. Now, you can check and see if the motor is siezed or if there is any compression without starting or tearing apart the motor.
However, the last option is the most reliable.


On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Jeff Hazewinkel wrote:

> I am evaluating the purchase of a 47 2 ton that has been sitting for
> about 20 years. The body is in good condition and the original flathead
> 8 cyl with 35,000 miles on it is under the hood. I have a good feeling
> what the chassis is worth, but am struggling regarding the engine. If
> the engine could easily be made to run again, the truck is worth more
> that if I have to find another engine. Is there an easy way to evaluate
> an engine of a truck sitting in a field to see if it has potential ? I
> understand there is no was to be 100 % certain, but I would like to have
> a little confidence.
>
> Jeff
>
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com
>
>



------------------------------
>From wiandt vnet.net Wed Apr 16 11:33:22 1997 X-Authentication-Warning: jimi.vnet.net: ACCS-AS18-DP14.ATLN.grid.net [206.80.183.207] didn't use HELO protocol From: Larry Wiandt
Subject: RE:running without oil
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

At 11:04 AM 1997/04/16 -0400, you wrote:
>>Today on the way to work I learned what it means to leave the old gasket
>>behind when replacing oil filters. I don't think I sat idling w/o oil
>>pressure for more than 1-2 minutes. I had no oil pressure but enough Mobil1
>>in the pan *not* to trigger the check oil light of my 1993 4.0 Ranger.
snip

I did this to a 1980 Celica when it had about 5,000 miles on it back in 1980. I proceeded to run it for another 13 years and over 160,000 miles.
When I sold it, the engine still ran like the day I drove it off the dealers lot. You probabaly did no damage at all.

Good Luck


------------------------------
>From QNKY92A prodigy.com Wed Apr 16 12:07:17 1997 From: QNKY92A prodigy.com ( JARED CASCADDEN) Subject: Attn: Bob Moore
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Bob,

I apologize for posting this to the list but I've lost Bob's email address.

I think that I may have worded my last note to you incorrectly. We are still interested in buying the '57 truck. We will NOT be scraping it!!!! I shiver at the thought of destroying a classic vehicle. In the end we will still have two vehicles. We'll just be swapping parts and the end result will be one that is set up the way we want it-- as original as possible, and the other will be put together and available for restoration .
This is why we have 2 Dodge Town wagons, one a power wagon,(but we are really diehart FORD Folk!) and a Power Wagon Truck. Sometimes parts are not easy to come by so youve got to get a couple complete ones. In the end we'll have all three vehicles two the way we want them-as original as possible, the third will be available for restoration.

So email us with an answer. Thanks Jared & Jeannine QNKY92A prodigy.com


------------------------------
>From wsabers sunflowr.usd.edu Wed Apr 16 12:58:50 1997 X-Authentication-Warning: sunburst.usd.edu: wsabers owned process doing -bs From: William Sabers Subject: RE:running without oil
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

I would not worry,
Many years ago, my dad ran a service station. One of his more uptight customers would come in for 1 gallon of gas and "full service" which included draining his oil. This customer then drove 10 miles to another station and had someone fill the crankcase and change the filter.
This car lasted over 100,000 miles ('58 Dodge).
I know it is an extreme case, but if you driving hard, I would not worry.....

Wsabers
69 Mustang
78 Bronco



On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Larry Smeins wrote:

> >Today on the way to work I learned what it means to leave the old gasket
> >behind when replacing oil filters. I don't think I sat idling w/o oil
> >pressure for more than 1-2 minutes. I had no oil pressure but enough Mobil1
> >in the pan *not* to trigger the check oil light of my 1993 4.0 Ranger.
> >
> >Question: What do folks suggest I do to minimize further damage? I'm
> >planning to change oil and filter tonight.
> >*Big* Question: How much damage did I do?
>
> If you only idled 1 to 2 minutes without oil pressure it is most likely that
> any damage done will be insignificant. I had a similar thing happen several
> years ago on a Chrysler 318 and had no problems after replacing the filter
> and oil. I had an employee in the late 60s that drove a Porsche 356 5 miles
> with no oil pump, he thought his oil pressure switch had failed, and upon
> tear down there was no apparent damage. The fact you were using Mobil 1
> makes it even less likely damage has occurred. If damage has occurred it
> will be rod or main bearing scuffing and when that happens all hell breaks
> loose, you will soon know it.
>
> Put the new oil and filter in and drive your truck. If you've been blessed
> with an oil pressure gauge watch it for a loss of pressure. You should be
> OK.
>
> Larry
> If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com
>
>



------------------------------
>From dherzog fv.stlcc.cc.mo.us Wed Apr 16 13:11:58 1997 From: dherzog fv.stlcc.cc.mo.us (David Herzog) Subject: Re: To warranty or not?
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

At 08:55 AM 4/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
>To: Inline Internet Addressing
>Subject: To warranty or not?
>Date: 1997-04-16 07:54
>Priority:
>Message ID: 1962EA45
>Conversation ID: 1962EA45
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>Hello all! I would like to hear what everyone thinks about Ford's factory
>bumper-bumper warranties. I recently purchased a '95 F-150xl, 300 I-6, 5spd
>standard. I'm about 1500 miles away from the end of the original 3yr/36k
>bumper to bumper warranty and am wondering whether I should renew or not!
> I'm not a mechanic, I just love to drive my truck, fix it up, and yes, even
>wax and clean it! I'm being told that to extend my warranty, I will need to
>pay approximately $500-600 for an additional 36k miles, and have a $100
>deductible.
>
>I don't plan on making any serious modifications....maybe just adding a
>power chip, fatter tires, etc.
>
>Your help is much appreciated!
>
>
>____________________________________________________________________
>Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
>To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
>For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
>Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com
>
>Jim,

I have been driving Ford products for over 30 years...most units (especially the trucks) have been extremely reliable. Any serious problem generally shows up in the first year or two...though not always.

I have never bought an extended warranty, and have never needed one...maybe I have been lucky.

You said you might put in a power chip and bigger tires. The tires may throw off you speedometer (I have 31x10.50x15 floatation tires on my 94 f-150 and the speedometer is off by 5-6 muiles per hour). Ford probably would not like the fact that you would be getting more actual miles on your truck than your speedometer would indicate. Also, the power chip would alter many factory specs, and may cause emission problems, poor fuel mileage, etc.

I would imagine that either or both of these modifications could would your warranty anyway...I would check with a Ford dealer before doing either.
Good luck!!
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* DAVID L. HERZOG Ph.D.,PROFESSOR OF BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT ST. LOUIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE AT FLORISSANT VALLEY DIVISION OF BUSINESS AND HUMAN SERVICES 3400 PERSHALL RD.
ST. LOUIS, MO 63615
(314) 595-2339
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*



------------------------------
>From jstrigas worldnet.att.net Wed Apr 16 13:13:44 1997 From: "Jim" Subject: F100 New exhaust.
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

I'm posting this on both fordnatics and FORDTRUCKS. Is this a bad thing?
Sorry I just didn't want to type it twice! At the rate I type though, it's like I did it twice :).
I took the truck down to get the exhaust put on Sunday. Man it sounds good! They had to makeshift a little, well the whole thing really! The guy did a great job too! He came off the Mustang shorties using 21/4" tube, over the top of the trans cross member, then just behind the cab he mounted the mufflers all tucked up between the frame rails, then the tail pipe dumps just in front of the rear end! I used the mufflers from the mustang, so that saved some bucks. The total bill was $148.49. It took him 4 hours.
I told him about our list and that members sometimes put businesses on their WEB pages, and asked if it would be OK if someone wanted to post his, like he would say no. so here it is

Speedway Muffler
10459 8th Street
Cucamonga, CA. 91730
(909) 987-9982
Lic. # AA 122657

I've been going there for 25 years, and have always been happy with the work and the price. It's never changed in those 25 years ether. It's a pink cinder block building with bars on the windows, I love it! They put in a waiting room with a pool table. Looks more like a Biker Bar than a Muffler Shop.
My wife took it to work today, her Aerostar's power windows are acting up so I need to work on them now!
Well gots to get. Later!

Jim Strigas jstrigas worldnet.att.net
"73" Ford F100 (piece a %*&#^ Love it, I Just Love it!) "89" Ford Aerostar (a Frameless Hussy, But a good ol Gal.) "83" Yamaha XJ900RK (Best Gift of my life! From my best friends! RSCL) "86" Honda GoldWing GL1200 (OK, this part goes here, and this... this... I think goes on the truck.)

Be Cool Daddy-O {B-)>



------------------------------
>From CE_COWAN er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu Wed Apr 16 14:05:28 1997 From: CE_COWAN er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu Subject:
X-VMS-To: in%"FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com"
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Do all of the 97 F150's with the power package use the illuminated buttons (green) for windows and locks. My dash lights are blue (looks cool) but my window and lock switches are green (mismatch).




------------------------------
>From ksbdj00 tamuk.edu Wed Apr 16 14:53:31 1997 From: ksbdj00 tamuk.edu (Johnson Bradford Durkee) Subject: Re: your mailextend? what? why?
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

>
> Do all of the 97 F150's with the power package use the illuminated buttons
> (green) for windows and locks. My dash lights are blue (looks cool) but my
> window and lock switches are green (mismatch).
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com
>
>



------------------------------
>From varners ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us Wed Apr 16 16:00:15 1997 From: Stuart Varner Subject: Re: To warranty or not?
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

JIM.E.CRAWFORD conoco.dupont.com wrote:
>
> Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
> From: Crawford, Jim E.
> To: Inline Internet Addressing
> Subject: To warranty or not?
> Date: 1997-04-16 07:54
> Priority:
> Message ID: 1962EA45
> Conversation ID: 1962EA45
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello all! I would like to hear what everyone thinks about Ford's factory
> bumper-bumper warranties. I recently purchased a '95 F-150xl, 300 I-6, 5spd
> standard. I'm about 1500 miles away from the end of the original 3yr/36k
> bumper to bumper warranty and am wondering whether I should renew or not!
> I'm not a mechanic, I just love to drive my truck, fix it up, and yes, even
> wax and clean it! I'm being told that to extend my warranty, I will need to
> pay approximately $500-600 for an additional 36k miles, and have a $100
> deductible.
>
> I don't plan on making any serious modifications....maybe just adding a
> power chip, fatter tires, etc.
>
> Your help is much appreciated!
>

Jim,

I have owned 8 different Ford's in my 31 yearlife. 3 non-computer (all 70's model trucks) and 5 computer. I have owned the following computer cars; 1988 tempo GLS, a 1989 Merc Grand Mrq, a 1990 Merc Cougar xr7 (Supercharged-5 speed - too much fun), a 90 F-150 with a 300 inline six a 1995 Special Service Crown Vicky - hopefully, soon, it will be able to eat Impala SS's for lunch. (MOTORSPORT IS OFFERING A BLOWER - IF IT WILL FIT I WILL SLAP ONE ON AS WELL AS SOME OTHER FUN CHEVY EATIN' THINGS.....MOMMA IS GETTING A NEWER CAR SOON.) Anyway, to make a long story short, I have had only a few minor problems in 528,000 miles as a FORD owner. Jes' keepim serviced, keepim clean, and lovem and they will run forever. Save your money and buy a borla exhaust.

Stu

71 F-100 4x4
Varners ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
> ____________________________________________________________________
> Message distributed via http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/
> To send mail to fordtrucks, use the address: fordtrucks lofcom.com
> For help send a message with "HELP" in the body to:list-request lofcom.com
> Comments and suggestions are welcome, use: kpayne mindspring.com


------------------------------
>From Pacmar prostar.com Wed Apr 16 16:33:39 1997 From: "Pacific Maritime Magazine" Subject: 1985 or 86 Ford TRanger Turbodiesel To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Hello all:

I'm new to the list, and I have a 1986 Ranger 4x4 with the factory installed Mitsubishi Turbodiesel. I love the truck, and was wondering if there were any more out there?
Chris Philips



------------------------------
>From ksbdj00 tamuk.edu Wed Apr 16 16:59:02 1997 From: ksbdj00 tamuk.edu (Johnson Bradford Durkee) Subject: Re: To warranty or not?
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

hi I own a ford f-150 95 like yours 5-speed and all. I don't believe in the extended warranty so I would forget it. The fatter tires are no problem with the speedo, if you want you could write dugan racing for an adapter that can correct the difference in the diameter of the tires you would plan to run.I have p275/60r15 tires on my factory wheels and don't worry about the difference in the speedometer. The chip would help out by changing the engine timing and some will remove the speed limiter that cuts off the engine at 100 mph. I would try hypertech or jet chips,also the warranty is only as good as the dealer how will do the work. Finally the dealer cannot void a warranty because of the chip if it is approved by the epa for use in your home state. and yes most chips are approved for use in all 50 states.



------------------------------
>From blashe bah.com Wed Apr 16 17:16:35 1997 From: "Blash Edward"
Subject: FW: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

----------
From: Charlie Summers
To: Blash Edward
Subject: RE: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
Date: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 4:36PM

You need to send this posting to fordtrucks lofcom.com, not list-request.

Charlie Summers


--- begin forwarded text


Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:34 -0500
From: "Blash Edward"
To: list-request lofcom.com
Subject: RE: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
Status: U

SIRS:


Many Thanks. I am interested in the product availability of a 4-door cab truck , which resembles a Brono in appearance.


ED BLASH
----------
From: list-request
To: Ed Blash
Cc: webmaster; kpayne
Subject: Welcome to FORDTRUCKS !!
Date: Wednesday, April 16, 1997 12:33PM

Hi, Ed Blash.

*** PLEASE READ THIS FILE COMPLETELY! ***
*** PLEASE SAVE THIS MESSAGE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE! ***

You have been added to the FORDTRUCKS list.
To send mail to FORDTRUCKS, use the address .
To send commands related to this list, use the address
and include commands in the body of the message. NEVER send commands to the list! Multiple properly-formatted commands may be sent in a single message; place one command on each line. Your signature will probably force list-request to think you sent a bad command; please remove your sig from any message to list-request.

Please remember that when sending commands to list-request, you are talking to a computer, not a human. Your messages must be formatted correctly for the server to act on your requests.

Again, requests must be placed in the BODY of an email message.
The subject of your message will be ignored by list-request.

There are currently 247 subscribers, and your address is recorded as:

blashe bah.com (Ed Blash)

If this address is not correct, you may send the following command to update it in all lists:

CHANGE blashe bah.com TO newaddress host.domain (Real Name)

You can unsubscribe from this list at any time by sending the command:

UNSUBSCRIBE FORDTRUCKS

If you send the request from a different hostname, you will need to say:

UNSUBSCRIBE FORDTRUCKS AS blashe bah.com

For the complete help file, explaining all of the available commands on this server, send a 'HELP' command. To find out what lists you are subscribed to, send a 'WHICH' command.

-------------------------------------------------------------- FORDTRUCKS Info:

The Ford Truck List is a discussion
group for Ford/Mercury trucks and full
size vans. Questions are encouraged.
Send a message to list-request lofcom.com with the command:

SUBSCRIBE FORDTRUCKS

in the body of the message.



------------------------------
--- end forwarded text



---------------------------------------------------------------------- L.O.F. Communications charlie lofcom.com
Web, Email Services And More! Email info lofcom.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.lofcom.com/




------------------------------
>From kpayne mindspring.com Wed Apr 16 21:25:04 1997 From: Ken Payne Subject: 1992 Flareside Dying!
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

This message is being forwarded for a new member:

From: "Nancy J. Davis"

>I need to get on the Ford Truck list for some immediate help! I have a
>1992 Ford F150 Flareside truck which I LOVE! Unfortunately, I can get
>it to run more than a week!
>
>We bought the truck in April, 1995 from a Ford dealership in San Juan
>Capistrano, CA. Everything was great. In May, 1996, the truck suddenly
>started dying or wouldn't start. We replaced the starter switch, the
>alternator and finally the battery. It ran fine until about November,
>1996, and then it the battery started going dead about every 7 days or
>so.
>
>We'd charge up the battery, it would run, die again, etc. We replaced
>batteries, with the best on the market. We took it in to a mechanic,
>who had it for 2 weeks and couldn't find the source of the voltage
>draw. We took it to a Ford Dealership Service department, who said we
>had a bad battery. They replaced the battery. It died too. Then they
>said it was the after-market alarm system. We removed it. The truck
>battery went dead again. We took it back to Ford. They've had it for 3
>weeks. It's died on them 3 times.
>
>Today they are giving it back to us with a "Sorry. Yes, there is a
>problem. No, we don't know what the problem is, or how to fix it."
>
>Has ANYONE had any type of similar experience??? We sure need some
>help! I need to be able to get back and forth to work... take my truck
>camping, and depend on it. I just want to identify the problem and get
>it fixed!! If no one can, does anyone know what recourse I have?
>
>Appreciate any responses, suggestions or guideance!
>
>Thanks!
>Nancy
>write to me at: nancyjd ix.netcom.com
>
>
-Ken Payne
1967 Ford F100 Custom Cab, 390 FE V8
List maintainer, send me comments and suggestions.
Visit the Ford Trucks List Web Page (unsubscribe form is there): http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mindspring.com/~fordtrucks



------------------------------
>From dclosson microassist.com Wed Apr 16 21:55:14 1997 From: dclosson microassist.com (Dennis Closson) Subject: 400 ford engine
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

I have a 1978 ford truck that I would like to put a 400ci. back in. I have a 400 from a ''79 Lincoln and I was told that the car 400's and the truck 400's were different. The 400 should mount right in, but if the specs. are different I would like to know. If somebody could give me some feedback, that would be great.

Jake
''78 F-150
''78 F-250
'53 F-250 stakebed
dclosson microassist.com


------------------------------
>From duckdon pacific.net Wed Apr 16 22:12:57 1997 From: Don Grossman Subject: Re: 47 F 2 ton question
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

William Sabers wrote:
>
> Jeff,
> From what little experience with 'ole flatheads and other motors
> (in general) that have sat around for a long time....
>
> 1) pour transmission fluid down the carb (until you are sure there is a
> good amount in each cylinder).
> 2) let it sit for awhile... like a couple days. let the fluid penetrate
> and work around the parts.
> 3) a few days later try to turn the crank with a 1/2" drive. If it takes
> more, you are simply damaging the engine which may, by this time,
> be only a pile of rusted or welded metal.
>
> This is to make sure the rings will not scratch the block up or if they
> are rusted, it may loosen them up. Now, you can check and see if
> the motor is siezed or if there is any compression without starting or
> tearing apart the motor.
> However, the last option is the most reliable.
>
> On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Jeff Hazewinkel wrote:
>
> > I am evaluating the purchase of a 47 2 ton that has been sitting for
> > about 20 years. The body is in good condition and the original flathead
> > 8 cyl with 35,000 miles on it is under the hood. I have a good feeling
> > what the chassis is worth, but am struggling regarding the engine. If
> > the engine could easily be made to run again, the truck is worth more
> > that if I have to find another engine. Is there an easy way to evaluate
> > an engine of a truck sitting in a field to see if it has potential ? I
> > understand there is no was to be 100 % certain, but I would like to have
> > a little confidence.
> >
> > Jeff

Go with the transmission fluid tip. I have see it used to lube up lots of stuff. One time someone used it to free up a totaly rusted up 4 speed trany. It wouldn't shift or turn the input or output shaft. A good soak in ATF and it was almost good as new. I was very impressed.
I would still go ahead and rebuild the engine ASAP if it is still in a useable state. Even if you do have to replace the engine it will be one less classic Ford being scraped for Toyoda parts. If the price is right and the body is in good shape, Go for IT!

--
Don Grossman
duckdon pacific.net

It's hard to do 90 on a speed limit budget.......

65 Ford F-150 4x4 (soon to be 72 Mustang) 63 Ford F-250 4x4


------------------------------
>From duckdon pacific.net Wed Apr 16 22:35:37 1997 From: Don Grossman Subject: Napco parts
To: FORDTRUCKS lofcom.com

Is there anyone out there interested in prefactory Fords? I have some front axle parts from a 58 3/4ton. (long sad story... well not to long) I have everything for a front axle except for the center section Dana 44. It was cracked and the tubes were cut off. I have the inner axles and all including the carrier and 4.56 ring and pinion. The axle tube has NAPCO stamped into it with a serial number.

If anyone can use these parts or has any interest please let me know --
Don Grossman
duckdon ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.