Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.128a; list 97up-list); Fri, 09 Jun 2000 00:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 00:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: 97up-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list Digest V2000 #93
Precedence: bulk

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1997 and Newer Truck Mailing
List(Use the Small Chassis List for Rangers, Explorers,
Aerostars and Bronco IIs.

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
97up-list Digest Thu, 08 Jun 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 093

In This Issue:
Wipers
bedskins
Re: Wipers
Remote Control Fogs Lamps?
Carpeted Bed & air bags
Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
A little early....
Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Re: A little early....
Re: Dreaded Crack
Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Re: Remote Control Fogs Lamps?
Re: A little early....
Re: Dreaded Crack
Re: A little early....
T-stat leakage update
Re: A little early....
Starlight Star Bright
Re: T-stat leakage update
Re: Starlight Star Bright
Re: Starlight Star Bright
Re: Starlight Star Bright
Is this common?
Re: Is this common?
Re: Starlight Star Bright

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Mark Browning" hotmail.com>
Subject: Wipers
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 08:41:55 EDT

Hi Guys Well its time to fix my wipers

I noticed now that my wipers go off by them selves around 4 minutes so
i have to get that fix anyone else fixed theres or had this problem???

thanks let me know...

Mark Browning
99 XLT 2WD 4.2L
SILVER BULLET
________________________________________________________________________


------------------------------

From: Doug_Pogatetz 3com.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:25:42 -0500
Subject: bedskins



Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Bedskin tonneau?

It seems to be a good idea for quick on and off if you don't ride with a cover
on all the time.

I first have to question the overall cost of this product. I can get a snap on
tonneau
cover for just under $200. Granted there are many advantages to the bedskin, but
looking
at the aluminium rails and all the hardware involved with the conventional
tonneau I
would think the price should be less?

The other concern is scratching of the paint. It looks like there is a soft
material on
the underside of the cover, but what about the actual straps?


Doug



------------------------------

From: RSnovi aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:27:05 EDT
Subject: Re: Wipers

In a message dated 6/8/00 8:43:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mab076 hotmail.com writes:


sounds like its haunted to me!

RS
<<
Hi Guys Well its time to fix my wipers

I noticed now that my wipers go off by them selves around 4 minutes so
i have to get that fix anyone else fixed theres or had this problem???

thanks let me know...

Mark Browning
99 XLT 2WD 4.2L
SILVER BULLET
___________________________________ >>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 09:01:24 -0500
From: "Charles Abraham" agcs.com>
Subject: Remote Control Fogs Lamps?

Anyone heard of remote control fog lamps?
Sounds like a good idea.

Friend just paid $198 off the internet for a pair.
I don't recall the exact brand name, but I believe
it started with a P (and there may have been an L
or two in there too).


-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: abrahamc.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Charles Abraham



------------------------------

From: "Mark Browning" hotmail.com>
Subject: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:19:56 EDT

I was wondering did anyone get there bed carpeted?
Do you like it?
How much did it cost?(Can)

Does anyone know how much it would be to get air bags suspension on all 4
corners of the truck? I think thats what they call?
These replace the rear leaf springs, thats all i really know and if i don't
get that i was thinking about adjustable shock with air compressor any info
on that???

and installation?
________________________________________________________________________


------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:14:14 -0400

A friend of mine is considering getting the carpet bed for his RAM...I'll
ask him what the price is approximately. It's a short bed so it might be
off a bit, but I'll convert it to CAN for you.

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually

-----Original Message-----
From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mark Browning
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 10:20 AM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [97up-list] Carpeted Bed & air bags


I was wondering did anyone get there bed carpeted?
Do you like it?
How much did it cost?(Can)

Does anyone know how much it would be to get air bags suspension on all 4
corners of the truck? I think thats what they call?
These replace the rear leaf springs, thats all i really know and if i don't
get that i was thinking about adjustable shock with air compressor any info
on that???

and installation?
________________________________________________________________________

==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: A little early....
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:17:05 -0400

...but figured better early than later.....

My 2000 F350 is my first truck, first 4wd, and first dually and was
wondering how well they do in the snow - anticipating the next Northeast US
winter -...I've heard both good/bad stories about duallies in the snow.
Some people swear at them, others say they're ok if you put weight in the
bed.

I have a Taurus SHO as an everyday car that I am strongly considering
selling since I drive the truck 99.9% of the time now, but if the dually
will be more trouble than it's worth in the snow, I'll keep the FWD.

Any/all help is appreciated....

Pete

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually


------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:32:20 -0400

Mark,

Just talked to the guy who is looking at getting one. He talked to another
member of the Dodge list who has had his for 6 years, fully exposed, and
well used. It's just starting to show some wear, and he really seemed to
like it.

My friend priced it and said it was about $200+, so in the low $300CDN.

He also said that "even the ladies like it".... :)

Hope this helps....

Pete

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually

-----Original Message-----
From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mark Browning
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 10:20 AM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [97up-list] Carpeted Bed & air bags


I was wondering did anyone get there bed carpeted?
Do you like it?
How much did it cost?(Can)

Does anyone know how much it would be to get air bags suspension on all 4
corners of the truck? I think thats what they call?
These replace the rear leaf springs, thats all i really know and if i don't
get that i was thinking about adjustable shock with air compressor any info
on that???

and installation?
________________________________________________________________________

==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

From: "Mark Browning" hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:41:29 EDT

Thanks Pete

Girls like it aye!!!
Sweet


>From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
>Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>To: <97up-list ford-trucks.com>
>Subject: [97up-list] Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:32:20 -0400
>
>Mark,
>
>Just talked to the guy who is looking at getting one. He talked to another
>member of the Dodge list who has had his for 6 years, fully exposed, and
>well used. It's just starting to show some wear, and he really seemed to
>like it.
>
>My friend priced it and said it was about $200+, so in the low $300CDN.
>
>He also said that "even the ladies like it".... :)
>
>Hope this helps....
>
>Pete
>
>___________________________________________________________________
>1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
>493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
>Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
>1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
>2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
>[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mark Browning
>Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 10:20 AM
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: [97up-list] Carpeted Bed & air bags
>
>
>I was wondering did anyone get there bed carpeted?
>Do you like it?
>How much did it cost?(Can)
>
>Does anyone know how much it would be to get air bags suspension on all 4
>corners of the truck? I think thats what they call?
>These replace the rear leaf springs, thats all i really know and if i don't
>get that i was thinking about adjustable shock with air compressor any info
>on that???
>
>and installation?
>________________________________________________________________________
> >
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
>message.
>
>
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
>message.
>

________________________________________________________________________


------------------------------

From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:11:42 EDT
Subject: Re: A little early....

Pete;
Pickups are a notorious pain in the ! #$%^&*() in snow to begin with. 2wd
being the absolute biggest unless there is some weight in the rear to get
traction. On ice, it's not an issue, weight or no weight, nothing but studs
or chains works well there.

4x4 helps, but last winter here in VA my 4wd jimmy got around better than my
4x4 Sierra. It's all about weight distribution. Most folks down here just
filled the bed with snow and let it melt out. A 4x4 is not the ultimate cure
on snow.

We get more bent sheet metal down here with 4x4's because folks think"I got
me a 4x4, I can do anything" and Ma Nature turns around and bites. The
collection of 4wd suv's and pickups after a snowstorm in the body shops is a
sight to see. These are the same fools that take them out on the beach with
street tires and wonder why they get stuck.

Keep good tread, drive like you didn't have 4x4, keep some weight in the
rear end and you will be OK. My rule has always been use 2wd to get in
trouble, 4wd to get out.

Good luck with your new vehicle
JOhn G.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:31:46 -0400
From: rob home.com>
Subject: Re: Dreaded Crack

Mark Browning wrote:

> Well Everyone My Truck goes in on Tuesday For the ford fix. The body shop
> manager says there was a recall on this, and it doesn't matter if its under
> warranty or not. So its cool. I hope they do a good job and right now the
> managers getting the info on how to fix it, straight from the ford
> engineers. So I'll keep you guys posted onto what kind of solution they come
> up with..
>
> C'ya
> Mark Browning
> 99 XLT 2WD 4.2L
> Silver Bullet
> ________________________________________________________________________
> >
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
> message.

Mark... Please ask the body shop manager, no on second thought don't! just let
everyone on the list know right away where this shop is located so that we can
all get our door fixed.... We were all told that it was covered only if you
were under warranty, and it wasn't a recall (those are safety related). There
is a lot of people here POed about this because they found the crack after the
36 month warranty expired, and its not even covered under an extended warranty.

Rob in PA



------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:48:13 -0400

Anytime...he added you might want to shop around, he's seen it for anywhere
up to $380US.

Kind of like a tailgate toolbox he was looking at. He found it for $399, I
found it for $199 for him....

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually

-----Original Message-----
From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mark Browning
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 11:41 AM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [97up-list] Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags


Thanks Pete

Girls like it aye!!!
Sweet


>From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
>Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>To: <97up-list ford-trucks.com>
>Subject: [97up-list] Re: Carpeted Bed & air bags
>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:32:20 -0400
>
>Mark,
>
>Just talked to the guy who is looking at getting one. He talked to another
>member of the Dodge list who has had his for 6 years, fully exposed, and
>well used. It's just starting to show some wear, and he really seemed to
>like it.
>
>My friend priced it and said it was about $200+, so in the low $300CDN.
>
>He also said that "even the ladies like it".... :)
>
>Hope this helps....
>
>Pete
>
>___________________________________________________________________
>1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
>493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
>Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
>1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
>2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
>[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mark Browning
>Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 10:20 AM
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Subject: [97up-list] Carpeted Bed & air bags
>
>
>I was wondering did anyone get there bed carpeted?
>Do you like it?
>How much did it cost?(Can)
>
>Does anyone know how much it would be to get air bags suspension on all 4
>corners of the truck? I think thats what they call?
>These replace the rear leaf springs, thats all i really know and if i don't
>get that i was thinking about adjustable shock with air compressor any info
>on that???
>
>and installation?
>________________________________________________________________________
> >
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
>message.
>
>
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
>message.
>

________________________________________________________________________

==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:27:37 -0700
From: johny netapp.com>
Subject: Re: Remote Control Fogs Lamps?

Yes. Piaa has a "wireless" control.

Do a web search on "piaa driving lights" or fog lights.


Charles Abraham wrote:

> Anyone heard of remote control fog lamps?
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> Friend just paid $198 off the internet for a pair.
> I don't recall the exact brand name, but I believe
> it started with a P (and there may have been an L
> or two in there too).




------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: Re: A little early....
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:47:58 -0400

John,

Thanks....yeah, up here the SUV death toll is very high in the winter as
well. I always just laugh.

I just heard mixed results about duallies and was wondering if I should keep
the fwd since the SHO has 4 ice/snow tires sitting in the garage for it and
did a fine job the last two years.

Would hate to have the truck end up around a tree...

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually

-----Original Message-----
From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of CERESJohnG aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 12:12 PM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [97up-list] Re: A little early....


Pete;
Pickups are a notorious pain in the ! #$%^&*() in snow to begin with. 2wd
being the absolute biggest unless there is some weight in the rear to get
traction. On ice, it's not an issue, weight or no weight, nothing but studs
or chains works well there.

4x4 helps, but last winter here in VA my 4wd jimmy got around better than my
4x4 Sierra. It's all about weight distribution. Most folks down here just
filled the bed with snow and let it melt out. A 4x4 is not the ultimate cure
on snow.

We get more bent sheet metal down here with 4x4's because folks think"I got
me a 4x4, I can do anything" and Ma Nature turns around and bites. The
collection of 4wd suv's and pickups after a snowstorm in the body shops is
a
sight to see. These are the same fools that take them out on the beach with
street tires and wonder why they get stuck.

Keep good tread, drive like you didn't have 4x4, keep some weight in the
rear end and you will be OK. My rule has always been use 2wd to get in
trouble, 4wd to get out.

Good luck with your new vehicle
JOhn G.
==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:56:46 EDT
Subject: Re: Dreaded Crack

Mark;

That's an interesting bit of info. In the process of getting it done, how
about getting the appropriate information regarding the "recall" and post it?
I suspect this is an non public recall and there have been several folks that
have had the dealer stonewall them. If Mark gets it, how about Ken posting it
as a line item on the main board.
JOhn G.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:06:57 -0700
From: johny netapp.com>
Subject: Re: A little early....

If you have a diesel in the thing, you also have about 500 extra lbs. in the
front.
The weight bias may be very much to the front.

I have a short bed SD SRW and unloaded, in low traction situations, I
have to use 4x4 more than I would think. But once in 4x4, the PSD on
the front helps *a Lot* .

In general, for snow, the off-road magazines seem to say that skinny tires
work better than wide ones. Give the tire a chance to bite at solid ground.
DRW is a variant of wide tire. Weight can somewhat offset the "wide tire"
issue.

On the other hand, you can just leave the front hubs locked; ready to go.
I'll add to what John G. says, and note that 4x4 helps you go; not stop.

-john.

Pete Calabrese wrote:

> ...but figured better early than later.....
>
> My 2000 F350 is my first truck, first 4wd, and first dually and was
> wondering how well they do in the snow - anticipating the next Northeast US
> winter -...I've heard both good/bad stories about duallies in the snow.
> Some people swear at them, others say they're ok if you put weight in the
> bed.
>
> I have a Taurus SHO as an everyday car that I am strongly considering
> selling since I drive the truck 99.9% of the time now, but if the dually
> will be more trouble than it's worth in the snow, I'll keep the FWD.
>
> Any/all help is appreciated....
>
> Pete
>
> ___________________________________________________________________
> 1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
> 493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
> Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
> 1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
> 2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
> message.




------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: T-stat leakage update
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 15:00:41 -0400

A while back I mentioned that the pipe plug on the side of my T-stat housing
was leaking. Well I brought it to Johnson Ford in Kingston, NY (a good
drive for me but worth it, best truck dealer in the area IMHO). Well the
fixed it up, determined that I was correct, that the antifreeze was eating
away at the belt and that's what the mess was on my pulleys - replaced the
belt and cleaned the pulleys.

Well about two days later, presto! The truck was leaking again. But not
from the plug anymore. This time it seemed like it was coming from the
inlet tube to the waterpump that goes to the lower hose. Well they looked
at it today and it turns out that the water pump was the culprit.

Amazing since there's barely 7400 miles on the truck.(albeit a lot of mile
for the short time I've owned it...)

So I was wondering since I've heard that the 99/00's are famous for coolant
leaks...anyone else having any problems?

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually


------------------------------

From: "Pete Calabrese" banet.net>
Subject: Re: A little early....
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 15:36:25 -0400

Yes, it's a diesel, and I've always heard that the DRW is the variant of the
wide tire rule. But recently some dually owners have said that they were
fine last winter with some weight in the bed.

I still wouldn't drive like a stereotypical SUV 'soccer mom' - thinking I'm
invincible because I have 4wd, but I also know how a RWD car can act in the
snow (from my younger donut in the parking lot days).

I was thinking that adding approx 1/4 ton in the bed should be able to help.
I'd just really hate to become an accident statistic in a truck that I've
gotten very attached to.

___________________________________________________________________
1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually

-----Original Message-----
From: 97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
[mailto:97up-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of johny
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 2:07 PM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: [97up-list] Re: A little early....


If you have a diesel in the thing, you also have about 500 extra lbs. in the
front.
The weight bias may be very much to the front.

I have a short bed SD SRW and unloaded, in low traction situations, I
have to use 4x4 more than I would think. But once in 4x4, the PSD on
the front helps *a Lot* .

In general, for snow, the off-road magazines seem to say that skinny tires
work better than wide ones. Give the tire a chance to bite at solid ground.
DRW is a variant of wide tire. Weight can somewhat offset the "wide tire"
issue.

On the other hand, you can just leave the front hubs locked; ready to go.
I'll add to what John G. says, and note that 4x4 helps you go; not stop.

-john.

Pete Calabrese wrote:

> ...but figured better early than later.....
>
> My 2000 F350 is my first truck, first 4wd, and first dually and was
> wondering how well they do in the snow - anticipating the next Northeast
US
> winter -...I've heard both good/bad stories about duallies in the snow.
> Some people swear at them, others say they're ok if you put weight in the
> bed.
>
> I have a Taurus SHO as an everyday car that I am strongly considering
> selling since I drive the truck 99.9% of the time now, but if the dually
> will be more trouble than it's worth in the snow, I'll keep the FWD.
>
> Any/all help is appreciated....
>
> Pete
>
> ___________________________________________________________________
> 1991 Mustang LX Coupe 347 : 12.14 112 No NOS yet! : 3240w/driver
> 493RWHP/582RWTQ Griggs, Wilwood, NOS : 11.64 121.53 A few years back...
> Hudson Valley 5.0 #00 Poughkeepsie Sports Car Club 924EM
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.snkypete.com
> 1993 Taurus SHO:LPM, C&L : 1998 SeaDoo XPLimited - Coffman equipped!
> 2000 F-350 CrewCab Powerstroke Lariat LE Dually
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
> message.



==========================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.



------------------------------

From: "Keith Veren" worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Starlight Star Bright
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 15:53:46 -0400

The DOT is starting to take public comments on whether or no the bright
"bluish-white" headlights on some expensive cars are blinding the oncoming
traffic more than the "allowable" limit; however, on the other side are
those driving the brighter cars that say they do not have as bad night
blindness when driving one and surely they could design one that illuminates
the road and not the oncomers eyes. They don't bother me, I know not to
look at them directly, but at least I know a neat car is on it's way. If
the HID lights were tuned to a specific frequency and polarized and all
other cars were laminated on their windshield with the same frequency but
not quite at a 90-degree polarization (so you could see it, what's the
problem?


Keith


------------------------------

From: RSnovi aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:22:10 EDT
Subject: Re: T-stat leakage update

In a message dated 6/8/00 3:03:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
snkypete banet.net writes:


nothin here yet, (knocking on my desk) No leaks, sputters or strange noises.

RS
<<
A while back I mentioned that the pipe plug on the side of my T-stat housing
was leaking. Well I brought it to Johnson Ford in Kingston, NY (a good
drive for me but worth it, best truck dealer in the area IMHO). Well the
fixed it up, determined that I was correct, that the antifreeze was eating
away at the belt and that's what the mess was on my pulleys - replaced the
belt and cleaned the pulleys.

Well about two days later, presto! The truck was leaking again. But not
from the plug anymore. This time it seemed like it was coming from the
inlet tube to the waterpump that goes to the lower hose. Well they looked
at it today and it turns out that the water pump was the culprit.

Amazing since there's barely 7400 miles on the truck.(albeit a lot of mile
for the short time I've owned it...)

So I was wondering since I've heard that the 99/00's are famous for coolant
leaks...anyone else having any problems?
>>

------------------------------

From: RSnovi aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:25:47 EDT
Subject: Re: Starlight Star Bright

In a message dated 6/8/00 3:52:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Spectrum-EHS worldnet.att.net writes:


I have seen some of these blue style bulbs 20. in Wal-mart , then i have seen
some online that are like 50-70 ea. Can someone elborate on the difference,
in not so long fashion if you have them, and if you like um. Also any
comments on the so called "Brite box" are welcomed.

thanks

Ross Smith
99F250 SD PSD/4x4/SC
9sec93cobra
Florida State University
National Champs (again)
<<
The DOT is starting to take public comments on whether or no the bright
"bluish-white" headlights on some expensive cars are blinding the oncoming
traffic more than the "allowable" limit; however, on the other side are
those driving the brighter cars that say they do not have as bad night
blindness when driving one and surely they could design one that illuminates
the road and not the oncomers eyes. They don't bother me, I know not to
look at them directly, but at least I know a neat car is on it's way. If
the HID lights were tuned to a specific frequency and polarized and all
other cars were laminated on their windshield with the same frequency but
not quite at a 90-degree polarization (so you could see it, what's the
problem?


Keith
>>


------------------------------

From: "Steve J. Hodson" mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Starlight Star Bright
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 19:19:07 -0400

I just read a comment in about this issue in the "CAR TALK" newspaper column
(also on National Public Radio, a really funny and informative radio
program). It seems that the high end cars with xenon discharge lights
bother some people but in general don't seem to be a hazard to oncoming
traffic. However the bluish tinted high intensity lights that you can buy
at you local auto store are a hazard and they don't meet NTSB safety
standards (most are in fact illegal). The difference is in the focus of the
lamps. The high end xenon discharge systems generate lots of light but do
it in a very well controlled tight pattern that can be focused at a
reasonable distance from the car. The cheaper retrofit lamps just make lots
of light but much of it scatters in a broader pattern so that it exceeds the
distance and width allowed for lighted area in front of the car. Looks like
the high end option (~$800-$1200 option on already pricey vehicles) really
is different from what you get from WalMart etc...
-----Original Message-----
From: RSnovi aol.com aol.com>
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com <97up-list ford-trucks.com>
Date: Thursday, June 08, 2000 3:26 PM
Subject: [97up-list] Re: Starlight Star Bright


>In a message dated 6/8/00 3:52:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Spectrum-EHS worldnet.att.net writes:
>
>
>I have seen some of these blue style bulbs 20. in Wal-mart , then i have
seen
>some online that are like 50-70 ea. Can someone elborate on the
difference,
>in not so long fashion if you have them, and if you like um. Also any
>comments on the so called "Brite box" are welcomed.
>
>thanks
>
>Ross Smith
>99F250 SD PSD/4x4/SC
>9sec93cobra
>Florida State University
>National Champs (again)
><<
> The DOT is starting to take public comments on whether or no the bright
> "bluish-white" headlights on some expensive cars are blinding the oncoming
> traffic more than the "allowable" limit; however, on the other side are
> those driving the brighter cars that say they do not have as bad night
> blindness when driving one and surely they could design one that
illuminates
> the road and not the oncomers eyes. They don't bother me, I know not to
> look at them directly, but at least I know a neat car is on it's way. If
> the HID lights were tuned to a specific frequency and polarized and all
> other cars were laminated on their windshield with the same frequency but
> not quite at a 90-degree polarization (so you could see it, what's the
> problem?
>
>
> Keith
> >>
>
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
>message.
>


------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:30:32 -0700
From: johny netapp.com>
Subject: Re: Starlight Star Bright

>From a drivers perspective,
True HID lighte like in a 99 BMW, have a very wide beam, it's cut off on the
top, as if someone took a knife and cut off the top of the light beam.

Very impressive. Even more so on dark twisty roads :-).
Coupled with high beams - outstanding.
Not impossible, but difficult to out-drive the lights.

Aftermarket HID systems run about $600 in jc whitney and about $1500
for Hella. I've not seen what the beam pattern looks like.

I've no experience with the Superwhite type halogen bulbs. Piaa makes
some high quality bulbs. I think I've seen 55/80 W and 80/100W variants.

But they must just be just brighter versions of what's on the truck. No
mods to the beam pattern.

The "brite box" is a box that allows both the high and low beam
to be on at the same time. If you flip between highs, there a time when both
high and low beams are on at the same time.

Overall, not a bad light pattern on a SD. The concern would be heat build up
with both filaments burning. Maybe some reduced lifetime of the bulb.
Not seen any discussion pointing to that though, but the trucks are only
2 years old at max.

Seen any good prices on the brite box?

RSnovi aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/8/00 3:52:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Spectrum-EHS worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> I have seen some of these blue style bulbs 20. in Wal-mart , then i have seen
> some online that are like 50-70 ea. Can someone elborate on the difference,
> in not so long fashion if you have them, and if you like um. Also any
> comments on the so called "Brite box" are welcomed.
>
> thanks
>
> Ross Smith
> 99F250 SD PSD/4x4/SC
> 9sec93cobra
> Florida State University
> National Champs (again)
> <<
> The DOT is starting to take public comments on whether or no the bright
> "bluish-white" headlights on some expensive cars are blinding the oncoming
> traffic more than the "allowable" limit; however, on the other side are
> those driving the brighter cars that say they do not have as bad night
> blindness when driving one and surely they could design one that illuminates
> the road and not the oncomers eyes. They don't bother me, I know not to
> look at them directly, but at least I know a neat car is on it's way. If
> the HID lights were tuned to a specific frequency and polarized and all
> other cars were laminated on their windshield with the same frequency but
> not quite at a 90-degree polarization (so you could see it, what's the
> problem?
>
>
> Keith
> >>
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
> message.




------------------------------

From: "George W. Marchewa" tutshi.com>
Subject: Is this common?
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:44:16 -0700


Hey Guys

My 1999 F150 has a whopping 3,000k on it and I have a few concerns:

First the truck:
1999 F150 4x4 SC Triton 5.4l

second the question:
1) After shutting off the engine the exhaust seems to 'pop' quite
loudly for a minute or so.
2) It may be my imagination but the exhaust tone seems to have gotten
louder, especially heading up hills when it kicks down a gear. At idle it
seems fine although there is a slight tick.

Is this normal? Comments? Am I just noise anal?

Thanks in advance.

George
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.tutshi.com/f150

*Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to fish, > > >and he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day*



-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat



------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:59:02 -0300
From: Mark MacDonald onlinesupport.pe.ca>
Subject: Re: Is this common?

Yeap, the truck will be ungodly noisy after you shut it off.... It is
probably the exhaust parts (ie catalytic converter) cooling down... I
usually get people coming into my work saying things like "You must have
just got here.. Your truck is out in the parking lot pinging"...

As for the exhaust noise, I notice that my truck ticks at an idle as well,
but I think I narrowed that down to the AC being on.

You are like me, at first you jump on every little noise it makes, but when
you get used to it, you will never even notice it.







At 05:44 PM 6/8/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Hey Guys
>
>My 1999 F150 has a whopping 3,000k on it and I have a few concerns:
>
>First the truck:
>1999 F150 4x4 SC Triton 5.4l
>
>second the question:
>1) After shutting off the engine the exhaust seems to 'pop' quite
>loudly for a minute or so.
>2) It may be my imagination but the exhaust tone seems to have gotten
>louder, especially heading up hills when it kicks down a gear. At idle it
>seems fine although there is a slight tick.
>
>Is this normal? Comments? Am I just noise anal?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>George
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.tutshi.com/f150
>
>*Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
>Teach him how to fish, > > >and he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day*
>
>
>
>-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
>-- Type: application/ms-tnef
>-- File: winmail.dat
>
>
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
>message.


------------------------------

....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.