Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.128a; list 97up-list); Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:48:10 -0500 (EST)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:48:10 -0500 (EST)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: 97up-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list Digest V2000 #9
Precedence: bulk

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1997 and Newer Truck Mailing
List(Use the Small Chassis List for Rangers, Explorers,
Aerostars and Bronco IIs.

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
97up-list Digest Fri, 18 Feb 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 009

In This Issue:
2000 F350 Leveling
E4OD Transmission Failure
30K Service
Re: 2000 F350 Leveling
Re: E4OD Transmission Failure
PSD, cold weather, and cab heat
Re: PSD, cold weather, and cab heat
Re: PSD, cold weather, and cab heat
Re: Check Engine Light

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Bob Bradford" earthlink.net>
Subject: 2000 F350 Leveling
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:05:01 -0800

I finally received my 2000 F350 C/C 4x4 V10 LWB. I was wondering if anyone
has tried re-arching the front leaf springs to level the truck.

Thanks
Bob Bradford


------------------------------

From: "Bart Ogden" quixnet.net>
Subject: E4OD Transmission Failure
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:47:30 -0600

I keep a good eye on these regularly as this truck is checked underneath by
me once monthly or so. The transmission in this truck is not a 4R100, it's
an E4OD.

Got it back today and so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed and glad I
bought the 100K warranty.

Bart

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:50:38 -0800
Subject: Re: E4OD Transmission Failure
From: Rob Bryan netgate.net>

You might want to check the transmission cooler lines for kinks when you get
it back. The only reported failures of the 4R100 transmission that I have
heard of have come from kinked cooler lines starving the transmission of
oil. Your symptoms are consistent with this problem.

> Hi gang,
>
> Just a report to the list about my 99 F250 Super Duty Diesel. This truck
> has the automatic transmission and I was experiencing what felt to me like
a
> torque converter clutch lockup so I took the truck in. Right before I
took
> it in when I would put it in gear the truck would bog and die. Got the
call
> today that they're replacing the transmission and engine control module.
> Pretty amazing since the truck only has 19K on the meter. My bet is they
> still haven't solved the E4OD transmission problems with the torque
> converter clutches and this somehow is related.
>
> I've got a 92 F-150 in the driveway with 115K on it and nearly the exact
> same symptoms manifested about a year ago on it. We ended up replacing
the
> E4OD trans. and torque converter and installing an in-line delay for the
> torque converter lockup. So far so good.
>
> We drive both these trucks in town with overdrive OFF.



------------------------------

From: "Swan, Joel" exchange.spyglass.com>
Subject: 30K Service
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:03:22 -0600

Well, next week, I'm bringing my 1997 F250 XCab into the shop for its 30,000
service.
Here are the things that I will ask them to investigate. I've only had the
truck since October and didn't notice these at first. Of course it only
really got cold up here in the last few weeks.

1. Possible piston slap. Have heard something which sounds like it 2-3 times
during the last few weeks. It's not very frequent and of course by the time
it does get more frequent, it will be past the 36,000 mark, I'm sure.

2. Belt or pulley noise on cold mornings at startup.

3. Thumb/vibration when driving. Feels like a cold spot or flat spot on a
tire. Also feels like my old explorer used to feel like when the hubs didn't
disengage for 2WD.

4. Groan/moan from transmission (automatic) in 1st/2nd when car is very
cold.

Anyone have anything else I should suggest they check out? Anyone had these
similar problems?

I will also talk to them about the following tasks to schedule.

1. Door Cracks (both sides).
2. Exhaust relocation.
3. Door ajar problem. (only occasional)

-joel



------------------------------

From: "Keith Veren" worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: 2000 F350 Leveling
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:30:36 -0500

As there have been many different methods of leveling your truck on this
mailing group, I am going to refer you to the archives; however, the basic
problem is that Ford only uses 2 leaves (even on the "heavy-duty" snow-plow
option) trucks. Re-arching only lasts a while and it changes your spring
rate. Put a nice, positive arch new front spring pack consisting of 5 to 7
springs with an overall 2" or 3" lift of the front and you will ride better,
your truck will be level and look better, and you have the extra reserve
capacity to put a heavy brush-bar with winch or snow plow on the front.

Keith


----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Bradford" earthlink.net>
To: "97up-list ford-trucks. com (E-mail)" <97up-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 11:05 AM
Subject: [97up-list] 2000 F350 Leveling


> I finally received my 2000 F350 C/C 4x4 V10 LWB. I was wondering if anyone
> has tried re-arching the front leaf springs to level the truck.
>
> Thanks
> Bob Bradford
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the body of the
> message.
>


------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:56:53 -0800
Subject: Re: E4OD Transmission Failure
From: Rob Bryan netgate.net>

If it is a '99 it has a 4R100 (an upgraded E4OD). Check the Baumann site for
information on how to tell the two apart, but the only automatic the
superduty ever recieved was the 4R100.

> From: "Bart Ogden" quixnet.net>
> Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:47:30 -0600
> To: <97up-list ford-trucks.com>
> Subject: [97up-list] E4OD Transmission Failure
>
> I keep a good eye on these regularly as this truck is checked underneath by
> me once monthly or so. The transmission in this truck is not a 4R100, it's
> an E4OD.
>
> Got it back today and so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed and glad I
> bought the 100K warranty.
>
> Bart
>
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:50:38 -0800
> Subject: Re: E4OD Transmission Failure
> From: Rob Bryan netgate.net>
>
> You might want to check the transmission cooler lines for kinks when you get
> it back. The only reported failures of the 4R100 transmission that I have
> heard of have come from kinked cooler lines starving the transmission of
> oil. Your symptoms are consistent with this problem.
>
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> Just a report to the list about my 99 F250 Super Duty Diesel. This truck
>> has the automatic transmission and I was experiencing what felt to me like
> a
>> torque converter clutch lockup so I took the truck in. Right before I
> took
>> it in when I would put it in gear the truck would bog and die. Got the
> call
>> today that they're replacing the transmission and engine control module.
>> Pretty amazing since the truck only has 19K on the meter. My bet is they
>> still haven't solved the E4OD transmission problems with the torque
>> converter clutches and this somehow is related.
>>
>> I've got a 92 F-150 in the driveway with 115K on it and nearly the exact
>> same symptoms manifested about a year ago on it. We ended up replacing
> the
>> E4OD trans. and torque converter and installing an in-line delay for the
>> torque converter lockup. So far so good.
>>
>> We drive both these trucks in town with overdrive OFF.
>
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
> the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the body of the
> message.
>


------------------------------

From: PaulinMO aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:56:27 EST
Subject: PSD, cold weather, and cab heat

I seem to recall someone saying that PSDs take longer to get cab heat because
of the large engine mass. Makes sense, but could someone from a cold climate
post their experience in this regard? I don't want to drop a bundle on a
truck that is uncomfortably cold all the way to work. Are you happy with the
cab heat in your PSD during winter months? TIA

------------------------------

From: RSnovi aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:08:02 EST
Subject: Re: PSD, cold weather, and cab heat

In a message dated 2/18/00 6:57:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, PaulinMO aol.com
writes:

i have found it helps to plug in the block heater for a hour or so when i get
up in the morning to aid in the warm up when it gets below 35 or so. It does
seem to help so the steering wheel isnt so darn cold!

RS

<<
I seem to recall someone saying that PSDs take longer to get cab heat
because
of the large engine mass. Makes sense, but could someone from a cold climate
post their experience in this regard? I don't want to drop a bundle on a
truck that is uncomfortably cold all the way to work. Are you happy with the
cab heat in your PSD during winter months? TIA
========================================== >>

------------------------------

From: "Erik Marquez" alaska.com>
Subject: Re: PSD, cold weather, and cab heat
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:10:16 -0900

Not much to say really.. Very happy with the truck, but it is a cold blooded
beast.. It has a full winter front, gets plugged in (block heater, bat
heater, Trans heater, oil pan heater) whenever it gets below 20 deg. Use
the idle control in the morning, run it at 1200 rpm for about 10 minutes
before leaving for work. Cab heat starts soon after leaving. Ambient temps
are typically in the -5 to 30 range. At the colder times I can leave it idle
800, winter front closed, and the temp gauge will never move, hour after
hour.

Erik Marquez
97 F350, CC, 4x4, PSD
bronco78 alaska.com
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.home.gci.net/~bronco78
Home of the BB decal
-----Original Message-----
From: PaulinMO aol.com aol.com>
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com <97up-list ford-trucks.com>
Date: Friday, February 18, 2000 2:57 PM
Subject: [97up-list] PSD, cold weather, and cab heat


>I seem to recall someone saying that PSDs take longer to get cab heat
because
>of the large engine mass. Makes sense, but could someone from a cold
climate
>post their experience in this regard? I don't want to drop a bundle on a
>truck that is uncomfortably cold all the way to work. Are you happy with
the
>cab heat in your PSD during winter months? TIA
>==========================================================
>To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
>the words "unsubscribe 97up-list" in the body of the
>message.
>


------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:01:26 -0500
From: Karen Wall / Steve Offiler ici.net>
Subject: Re: Check Engine Light

At 08:45 AM 2/17/00 -0600, you wrote:
>The "Check Engine" light came on in my truck this past weekend. It stayed
>on for about an hour of driving and now is off. Should get the truck looked
>at even though the light is no longer on?
>
>
>Mike Auser
>'97 F-150
>4.2 liter
>5-speed standard

Mike: It is my understanding that when a problem sets a code, the Check
Engine light (also known in the trade as MIL - multifunction indictor lamp)
will stay ON. Yours appears to have sensed a problem that self-corrected,
no code was stored in the computer, and the MIL was reset during the next
key-off-key-on cycle.

As long as it seems to run fine, and all the basics which could lead to
major engine damage are covered (oil, coolant, etc) then you have nothing
to worry about. Save your time and your money on the service call. If no
codes are set they won't find anything and it will be a waste.

Steve O.
soffiler ici.net
North Scituate RI
'97 F250HD (old style) 4x4 351


------------------------------

....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.