From: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com (97up-list-digest)
To: 97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list-digest V2 #291
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


97up-list-digest Wednesday, October 27 1999 Volume 02 : Number 291



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - Re: engine overhauls
Re: FTE 97up - Re: engine overhauls
Re: FTE 97up -
FTE 97up - Electrical Problems
Re: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!
FTE 97up - Re: Trucks Gone!
Re: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems
FTE 97up - BEWARE: Fairway Sport & Performance
Re: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems
Re: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems
FTE 97up - RESOLVED! Fairway Sport & Performance
FTE 97up - Truck is here! (NO, not the stolen one!)
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Upgrading Premium Sound Package
Re: FTE 97up - Engine Overhauls
FTE 97up - Re: Engine Overhauls
FTE 97up - Re: Trucks Gone
FTE 97up - weird problem
FTE 97up - Oil Leaks
FTE 97up - Mounting Antennas in Truck Bed Stake Pockets
Re: FTE 97up - Oil Leaks
FTE 97up - engine replacement FQR
FTE 97up - Mounting Antennae in Truck Bed Stake Pockets
Re: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!
Re: FTE 97up - weird problem
Re: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!
Re: FTE 97up - Truck is here! (NO, not the stolen one!)
Re: FTE 97up - weird problem

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:01:33 -0500
From: Lee Haefele
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: engine overhauls

I run a fleet of mostly bucket trucks, currently 6 F-350s,(5 gas, 1 7.3
non turbo), one chev G30 van, one Windstar. We run these heavily loaded
and they get unreliable at between 120-150k. Only motors that have gone
bad on vehicles we bought new were 84 Toyota pickup, and that worthless
87 Ford 6.9 Diesel. The Diesel cost like H*ll to replace. I buy gas
trucks now. I think most of the motors went bad in trucks we bought
used, as did all used replacement motors and 1/3 of the rebuilts. I
have one new Chevy on order, as I could not lock in a deliv date for a
gas Ford & it was $7000 less than avail Ford Diesels. Don't like Diesels
anyway, the 7.3 we own is a slug, parts for it cost 2-3 times cost of
gas eng(radiator,alternator,starter, glow plug relay, etc.,). We run
Mobil 1 oil with a 5000 mi change interval, gas eng & Rotella in Diesel
W/3000 mi change.
Lee Haefele
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 05:28:17 -0700
From: "BIGDOG"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: engine overhauls



> have one new Chevy on order, as I could not lock in a deliv date for a
> gas Ford & it was $7000 less than avail Ford Diesels. Don't like Diesels
> anyway, the 7.3 we own is a slug, parts for it cost 2-3 times cost of
> gas eng(radiator,alternator,starter, glow plug relay, etc.,). We run
> Mobil 1 oil with a 5000 mi change interval
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





, gas eng & Rotella in Diesel
> W/3000 mi change.
> Lee Haefele
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:39:31 EDT
From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up -

Well, as far as jumper cables go, the extra heavy cables will let you have
longer cables. Personally, I'd find a set of battery clamps (good ones) then
pop on down to your local welding supply shop and get a set made up from
#2/0 welding cable. Get them about 20 feet long or longer. These are
brutally heavy and bulky but you would be amazed at how well they work. It's
what the tow truck operators use. When you can't get the vehicles nose to
nose, you have to use longer cables. Longer cables mean BIGGER wire size. You
pull a lot of amps trying to start a cranky engine,

If you really think you will be taking this van into harms way, a winch is
always a wise add on. I would look at the system that mount's the winch to a
2'" hitch receiver and mount recievers front and back. That would allow you
to mount the winch on the rear as well as the front. I have found when
winching out, that the way I got there is often the best way out. Couple
that with dual batteries (isolated so one runs the vehicle, the other the
winch) and you can set them up to jump yourself. Have done that a few times
and the looks you get when you do it in a parking lot is almost worth the
expense by itself.

As far as a manual goes, look at Helms Publishers. They print the
Manufacturers manuals for Ford, GM, Toyota, DC and others. They are pricey
but they don't prejudge what the "non professional" can or cannot be capable
of doing. The big thing is that you can get wireing diagrams and vacuum
diagrams and a lot of detail which the general ones like Haynes or Chiltons
don't have.



They have a web site but be careful there are two Helm's out there not
related so if you find the wrong one, keep looking, it's there

John G
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:59:55 -0400
From: CnC
Subject: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems

I have a 1997 Ford 150 4.6 v8 that has been very dependable. Yesterday,
however, I noticed that my radio buttons were all screwed up and that the
electric dashboard clock was not at the right time. Last night, I parked
my truck in my driveway, and, as always, left it UNLOCKED. Imagine my
shock when, at 3 o'clock in the morning, my truck alarm woke me up. I
looked outside, saw nobody near the truck, the lights were flashing on and
off. When I went outside, both doors were shut, the alarm was still
sounding. I put the key into the door lock and turned it onto a Locked
position and the alarm went off. I don't understand it? Any of you folks
got a clue?
Thanks.
Chris




- -cnc-
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:25:44 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!

Keep nagging the local constables to be on the look-out! Hope you get it
back in one piece. May want to change you house locks. I live in
Massachusetts, and a company here called LoJack installs transmitters
(hidden somewhere in the vehicle that only they know where, and they are
good, I have looked for them in all my cars and have not found one yet!!) in
your vehicle when they are brand new ($600 cost, usually done at the
dealership before delivery) and you get a card with the Police Numbers.

If your car is stolen, you call the state Police (they will also call
surrounding States that have the LoJack system) and they activate the
system. Many Police (state and local) Cars have the special antennas (4
little antennas on the roof in a square configuration) required to locate
the signal from your vehicle. So far, the system has done very well in
tracking down thieves and vehicles. Often, the transmitter will lead police
to a chop-shop where they will find the stolen vehicle and a bunch of other
stolen vehicles without LoJack.
Anyway, I have put the LoJack system on every one of my vehicles, so, of
course, none will probable ever get stolen and my wife will forever nag me
about spending so much money on those "radiothingies"!

Keith



- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 2:00 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!


> Bad day for me! My '99 250 SD supercab, Lariart was STOLEN
> tonight from Work! Someone went thru my coat in the back room
> and took the keys (to the house, & store too). It's gone, I'll take
> any prayers or thoughts for it soming back in one piece. I'm
> dreading the thought of dealing with the insurance company. I
> did not pay MSRP (more like invoice + $100) but it's the extras
> I've added (and they add up) that I'll have to fight for. I saw that
> study on high potential for theft and my truck was on it! A warning
> for the rest of you...
>
> TIA, Brent in Seattle
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:39:59 -0700
From: STEPHEN_WITTE hp-sandiego-om2.om.hp.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: Trucks Gone!


Hi Brent,

What study was that on high potential for theft?

- Stephen Witte, Poway, CA
97 f350 4x4 CC 460 5spd

>Subject: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!
>
>Bad day for me! My '99 250 SD supercab, Lariart was STOLEN
>tonight from Work! Someone went thru my coat in the back room
>and took the keys (to the house, & store too). It's gone, I'll take
>any prayers or thoughts for it soming back in one piece. I'm
>dreading the thought of dealing with the insurance company. I
>did not pay MSRP (more like invoice + $100) but it's the extras
>I've added (and they add up) that I'll have to fight for. I saw that
>study on high potential for theft and my truck was on it! A warning
>for the rest of you...
>
>TIA, Brent in Seattle

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:49:40 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems

CnC wrote:
>
> I have a 1997 Ford 150 4.6 v8 that has been very dependable. Yesterday,
> however, I noticed that my radio buttons were all screwed up and that the
> electric dashboard clock was not at the right time. Last night, I parked
> my truck in my driveway, and, as always, left it UNLOCKED. Imagine my
> shock when, at 3 o'clock in the morning, my truck alarm woke me up. I
> looked outside, saw nobody near the truck, the lights were flashing on and
> off. When I went outside, both doors were shut, the alarm was still
> sounding. I put the key into the door lock and turned it onto a Locked
> position and the alarm went off. I don't understand it? Any of you folks
> got a clue?
> Thanks.
> Chris
>
> -cnc-
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

CnC,

What alarm system do you have? Why do you leave it
unlocked?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:03:58 -0400
From: Steve Zinski
Subject: FTE 97up - BEWARE: Fairway Sport & Performance

I recently purchased a Banks Power "Transcommand" transmission control
module from Fairway Ford (Fairway Sport & Performance of Placentia, CA) at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.go2fairway.com/parts/spparts/spparts.html

After installing the Transcommand and testing it on my truck, I decided that
I did not notice enough of a performance increase to justify its high cost
($229). I promptly contacted Fairway to in order to process the return and
received this very pleasant and politely written REFUSAL to refund my money:

- -----

"I'm sorry to hear that the Banks Transcommand didn't do everything you had
hoped it would for you. Our policy, like most similar businesses, is to not
take returns on any electrical items. If it were defective, we would happily
repair or exchange it for you. I hope that the firmer shifting that
you have mentioned that the Banks unit has provided you with will be of
sufficient benefit to you in the years you own your truck to satisfy you, as
has been the case with hundreds of other customers who purchased Banks TCM's
from us. Thank you for your business."

- -----

Fairway's web site does not state this policy anywhere, nor did their
salesperson bother to state this policy before I purchased the unit (I would
not have purchased from them had I known about their "policy"). The unit was
on my truck for several hours before I contacted them and it was unblemished
and in perfect resalable condition. I've ordered items from many other
Internet sites and all have 100% satisfaction money-back guarantees. Their
statement about "most similar businesses" not taking returns is pure BS. I
also sent an email to their general manager which has gone unanswered. Talk
about great customer service.

So I offer this word of warning to any potential Fairway customer: BUYER
BEWARE!

--Steve
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:19:49 -0400
From: CnC
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems

FActory installed system, came with the truck. I feel safe in my driveway,
way out in the country. Nobody set the alarm off, it went off by itself.
I can't understand why? And, is it connected with the radio and clock going
haywire yesterday, too? Chris

At 01:49 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
>CnC wrote:
>>
>> I have a 1997 Ford 150 4.6 v8 that has been very dependable. Yesterday,
>> however, I noticed that my radio buttons were all screwed up and that the
>> electric dashboard clock was not at the right time. Last night, I parked
>> my truck in my driveway, and, as always, left it UNLOCKED. Imagine my
>> shock when, at 3 o'clock in the morning, my truck alarm woke me up. I
>> looked outside, saw nobody near the truck, the lights were flashing on and
>> off. When I went outside, both doors were shut, the alarm was still
>> sounding. I put the key into the door lock and turned it onto a Locked
>> position and the alarm went off. I don't understand it? Any of you folks
>> got a clue?
>> Thanks.
>> Chris
>>
>> -cnc-
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>CnC,
>
> What alarm system do you have? Why do you leave it
>unlocked?
>
>Regards
>
>Jean Marc Chartier
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>




- -cnc-
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:31:10 -0600
From: Perry Klein
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Electrical Problems

I had an after market " command start" in my old 94 F-150 that did the same
thing to me. I found out that it was a loose / corroded battery
cable/connection. Not sure if it is you problem but it might be worth a
check. All the time I never had a problem starting the vehicle just the
clock, command start and the things it controlled such as alarm, auto start
and power locks.

pk

>FActory installed system, came with the truck. I feel safe in my driveway,
>way out in the country. Nobody set the alarm off, it went off by itself.
>I can't understand why? And, is it connected with the radio and clock going
>haywire yesterday, too? Chris


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:43:37 -0400
From: Steve Zinski
Subject: FTE 97up - RESOLVED! Fairway Sport & Performance

Boy, that was quick!

Fairway has made an exception to their policy in my case.

They have agreed to a full refund of the unit.

They have agreed to update their web site to inform potential buyers of
their policy.

I am a happy camper.

--Steve

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:51:40 -0700
From: Dave Santo
Subject: FTE 97up - Truck is here! (NO, not the stolen one!)

On September 21st, Carmenita Trucks, truck ONLY dealer in Santa Fe
Springs, CA, ordered my 2000 F-250 Super-Duty/Super-Cab, 4WD, V-10,
Long Box/Long Wheel Base, Bright Amber, Lariat.

Today, October 26th, the salesman (Steve Huntsman) called me and said
those magic words... "It's in! YOUR truck is sitting here!" Music to
my ears. How sweet it is. Now all I have to do is go pick it up, race
right down to the tire shop, take off the standard tires and put on
Bridgestone Dueler A/T's (285/75 R16's). Then, spend MORE money on
it: front grille insert, audio system (Sony ES Mobile Receiver with
voice activated operation and CD and MD capabilities, replacement
speakers, Sony 300-watt amp, and subwoofer), Line-X bedliner, Pace
Edwards Roll-Top Cover and eventually Gale Banks PowerPack. Then, I
get to sit back, listen, cruise around, have fun and enjoy. My
mid-life crisis will have been satisfied. At least for the time being?

- ---

I'm also sorry to hear about the stolen one. I hope you get it back
in one piece. In 1968 my 1957 Ford was stolen and not pieced up, but,
just trashed. Hope the same fate does not happen to yours.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:59:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Sandman
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Upgrading Premium Sound Package

Its an extended cab. The back is useless anyways, you can't fit a person
there comfortably, so the 15" and box is there. I don't have a pic of it,
but I'll try to get ahold of a digital camera to take a pic.


On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Freddy Favela wrote:

> Hey were did you place the 15 inch speaker? do you have PIC??
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sandman
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Monday, October 25, 1999 12:44 PM
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Upgrading Premium Sound Package
>
>
> >It all depends on what you want. I think my sound system in my 89 Ranger
> >sounds a lot better than the premium one in my parents Expedition. I have
> >an Alpine head unit witha 6 disc shutle deck, PPI 100 watt amp pushing a
> >15" subwoofer, and a punch 40 watt amp pushing 40 watts(roughly) into my 4
> >pioneer three way speakers. Of course, most people don't want that, so
> >the premium sound system is fine, but there are people out there who do
> >like having higher quality sound. Its all a matter of opinion.
> >
> >
> >On Sat, 23 Oct 1999 MFAPHOTO aol.com wrote:
> >
> >> I just got a new Lariat and have the premium package with 6 disc CD
> changer.
> >> The question that occurred to me was why you would want to upgrade it? It
> >> sounds damn good to me! Also, with the space of the cab not being a large
> >> space, you really don't need to add anything. Road and engine noise are
> >> going to degrade the sound from anyway. Trying to squeeze the last 5% out
> of
> >> an automotive system may not be worth it. Of course, if you want to add
> more
> >> features such as CB or TV, I understand!
> >>
> >> Russ
> >> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >>
> >
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> __________________________________________
> NetZero - Defenders of the Free World
> Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:43:19 -0400
From: "Larry Hackler"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Engine Overhauls

Had two engines replaces in a 88 Ford E-150. One at less than 30,000
miles when the freeze plug blew and dumped most of the coolant. Again
at 100,000 on same van when the top end just wore out.

Larry

- -----Original Message-----
From: STEPHEN_WITTE hp-sandiego-om2.om.hp.com

To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Cc: WITTE_STEPHEN/hp-sandiego_om2 hpbs4993.boi.hp.com

Date: Monday, October 25, 1999 12:13 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Engine Overhauls


>
> I'm just curious how many people have driven trucks over 200,000
miles
> without major overhauls?
>
> Also, how many people have ever had to overhaul an engine in
their
> lifetimes?
>
> I had a truck for 15 years once, (Chevy) 6 cyl engine. Although
I
> bought this tired truck from a plumber (don't do this), and I
put an
> additional 70K miles on it, I never had to overhaul the engine.
(just
> everything else)
>
> The new truck of course only has 13K miles and hopefully won't
need an
> overhaul for another 15 years.
>
> - Stephen Witte 97 CC F350 4x4 5spd
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:48:55 EDT
From: Brrojo aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: Engine Overhauls

> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:13:29 -0700
> From: STEPHEN_WITTE hp-sandiego-om2.om.hp.com
> Subject: FTE 97up - Engine Overhauls
>
>
> I'm just curious how many people have driven trucks over 200,000
miles
> without major overhauls?

Had an 89 Ranger 2wd with the infamous 2.9 V6 5 speed and managed 287,000. I
saw it on the road this summer and the guy was driving it 160 miles round
trip each day, it was well over 300k. Engine wise, all I ever replaced was
the water pump....three times I think.
>
> Also, how many people have ever had to overhaul an engine in their
> lifetimes?

I didn't "have" to, but I rebuilt a 1970 429 (non CJ) from a Merc Marquis
ragtop. Pretty much stock rebuild. Everybody who likes to wrench should do
this at least once. It was very satisfying listening to that thing fire up
the first time. Oh, and the power was pretty impressive too.

Brian
97 F150 4X4 5.4
with a crack in the door

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:31:51 EDT
From: MFAPHOTO aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: Trucks Gone

I can imagine how you feel. I would feel horrible if mine was taken. Can't
imagine a much worse feeling except maybe a death in the family. I'm hoping
that because of where I live that it won't happen to me. We don't seem to
have much theft around here 70 miles north of New York City. On the other
hand, when I lived in New Jersey, I was only about 6 miles from Newark, the
auto theft capitol of the US. Anyway, I wish you the best and hope you
somehow get it back soon. In the meantime, try not lump everyone into the
same category as the creep that took it! Report back from time to time and
tell us how the search, etc. is going.

Regards,
Russ Martin
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:22:33 -0500
From: Stan Wright
Subject: FTE 97up - weird problem

When I came home tonight and turned off my truck (1999 F250 SD) a
buzzing sound came from underneath the dash. It would stay on
continuously until I turned the key on. It kind of sounds like a
buzzing fire alarm they have in buildings. I took off the coverplate to
gain access under the dash. The buzzing comes from a black box located
behind the dash under the dash storage pocket. It sounds like a relay
buzzing, if you've ever heard that.

I started removing fuses one-by-one until I found one that shut if off.
According to the owner's manual it is fuse location 24...'Blend Door
Actuator, Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay Coil'. I have no idea what
this is, does anyone out there know? Leaving the fuse out doesn't seem
to have any affect on the truck's operation, so I guess I'll leave it
out for the time being.

This brings another question. Does anyone know where I can get a manual
(especially electrical) for the truck other than the Helm's website?
It's said "insufficient inventory to process my order" for the last 3
months.

Thanks.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:38:31 -0500
From: Gary F
Subject: FTE 97up - Oil Leaks

I have a 98 E250 with the 5.4L engine. At 12,000 miles it developed a nasty
oil leak. I took it to the dealer and he replaced the front timing cover
gasket, both valve cover gaskets, the front crankshaft oil seal and 2
ignition coils (what these have to do with the oil leak I don't know). In
any event I just drove it home, parked it on a nice clean part of my
driveway and sure enough it left another small puddle. This is the first
vehicle I've owned that has developed an oil leak like this. I'm ready to
take it back to the dealer again but I'm wondering how many other people
have small oil leaks and just accept it as par for the course with these
engines.

Gary F

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:21:13 -0700
From: Jim Duffy
Subject: FTE 97up - Mounting Antennas in Truck Bed Stake Pockets

One alternative to drilling holes in the roof, or using magnetic mounts
that can scratch the paint is to mount your antenna in the bed stake
pockets. Geotool is a company that manufactures a mount for this
purpose. Check them out on the web at:
www.geotool.com

Jim
w6eu jps.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:21:59 EDT
From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Oil Leaks

Gary;
This is not your mothers VW Beetle and there is no excuse for oil leaks at
12k miles. Sounds as if the dealer didn't have a clue so he replaced
everyting he could get a wrench on. This is one of those problems that could
go on forever. The dealer is the first line however. Give him one more shot.
If he fails, request a meeting with a factory rep.

The right way to do this is to steamclean the engine and undercarriage, and
put a flourescent dye in the oil. A day or two and go after it with a black
light. The source will be evident.

My question though is this. Is the leakage improved, (less)? Did the dealer
clean off the undercarriage after the fix? Could this be residual from before
just dripping down?

John G
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:29:25 -0500
From: "Manuel Ziegler"
Subject: FTE 97up - engine replacement FQR

>I am writing this to help others understand what is involved if they need
>to have their engines replaced (due to piston slap) by Ford and their loca=
l
>dealers. I brought my truck to Covert Ford in Austin Tx. to have it
>checked out for the infamous piston slap, I asked and was told no less tha=
n
>6 times that I would receive a new engine for replacement, I believe I mad=
e
>myself understood that I had concerns of not receiving a new engine and so=

>there was no doubt in my mind that I would receive anything but. When I
>pick the truck up after 4 days in the shop it came to quite a shock that I=

>received a remanufactured (rebuilt) engine. I have come to understand that=

>if you receive a FQR engine then it is a rebuilt engine from Ford, they
>(dealer) take your old engine and send it back to Ford and put another
>rebuilt engine (FQR) and shove it into your truck. Make no mistake, if you=

>have a 1998 5.4l with 235 hp then you will get the same engine model put
>into your truck, not the 260 hp version that is in the 1999 models. Lots
>of folks are misinformed on this site as to what they are receiving as a
>replacement, the fqr engine does not have a build date on it like the
>original engines in the trucks, and they come from Ford as a long block
>with all parts attacked, even oil and a filter, but they use your old
>intake manifold and fuel injection components on the replacement blocks.
>These are not new engines, they are rebuilt engines from Ford, don=B9t let
>them tell you other wise, I know, I=B9ve have been going round and round wit=
h
>these clowns. Sorry this was so long of a posting but I feel that I must
>make the situation know.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:33:37 -0700
From: Jim Duffy
Subject: FTE 97up - Mounting Antennae in Truck Bed Stake Pockets

One alternative to drilling holes in the roof, or using magnetic mounts
that can scratch the paint is to mount your antenna in the bed stake
pockets. Geotool is a company that manufactures a mount for this
purpose. Check them out on the web at:
www.geotool.com

Jim, Truckee California
w6eu jps.net
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:46:46 -0400
From: "Freddy Favela"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!

If my truck were stolen I would probably wish it was not found that way I
would get a new one! Because I could not stand the thought of someone else
driving my truck!!
- -----Original Message-----
From: bwat wa.freei.net
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Tuesday, October 26, 1999 4:09 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!


>Bad day for me! My '99 250 SD supercab, Lariart was STOLEN
>tonight from Work! Someone went thru my coat in the back room
>and took the keys (to the house, & store too). It's gone, I'll take
>any prayers or thoughts for it soming back in one piece. I'm
>dreading the thought of dealing with the insurance company. I
>did not pay MSRP (more like invoice + $100) but it's the extras
>I've added (and they add up) that I'll have to fight for. I saw that
>study on high potential for theft and my truck was on it! A warning
>for the rest of you...
>
>TIA, Brent in Seattle
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

__________________________________________
NetZero - Defenders of the Free World
Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:13:15 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - weird problem

Stan Wright wrote:
>
> When I came home tonight and turned off my truck (1999 F250 SD) a
> buzzing sound came from underneath the dash. It would stay on
> continuously until I turned the key on. It kind of sounds like a
> buzzing fire alarm they have in buildings. I took off the coverplate to
> gain access under the dash. The buzzing comes from a black box located
> behind the dash under the dash storage pocket. It sounds like a relay
> buzzing, if you've ever heard that.
>
> I started removing fuses one-by-one until I found one that shut if off.
> According to the owner's manual it is fuse location 24...'Blend Door
> Actuator, Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay Coil'. I have no idea what
> this is, does anyone out there know? Leaving the fuse out doesn't seem
> to have any affect on the truck's operation, so I guess I'll leave it
> out for the time being.
>
> This brings another question. Does anyone know where I can get a manual
> (especially electrical) for the truck other than the Helm's website?
> It's said "insufficient inventory to process my order" for the last 3
> months.
>
> Thanks.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Stan,

The Blend Door Actuator is the motor for lack of a better
word that controls the heat in your truck. It closes and
opens a door that forces the selected amount of incoming air
over the heater core in order to heat the truck. I would
have it looked at.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:26:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Douglas R. Floyd"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trucks Gone!

>
> If my truck were stolen I would probably wish it was not found that way I
> would get a new one! Because I could not stand the thought of someone else
> driving my truck!!

One guy in Austin took the dash off, soldered the passanger seat airbag,
so it was always on, then made that keyswitch a kill switch. So, when
the airbag switch was OFF, the truck wouldn't start.

I thought about doing that, but I just get willies thinking about mucking
about with airbag circuits.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:16:33 -0800
From: David & Laura Manuel
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Truck is here! (NO, not the stolen one!)

Congratulations! I picked up my 2000 SD, F250, V-10, 4WD, Crew cab,
longbed from Carmenita, Steve Huntsman, in Early September. Steve
equipped it with 305 Goodyear Wranglers, a Line-X liner and a Snugtop
cover. It looks great and Steve was a joy to work with. One problem,
it's been in and out of the service shop since I took delivery. The
engine makes a knocking-type noise between 2k and 3k rpm. I had it in
Carmenita's service shop four different times. They all agreed, three
service managers and the service warranty manager, that the noise was
there and it was not normal. Yet, each time I would get the truck back
the same day and was told that they don't think it's a major problem and
I should just drive it and hope it goes away or bring it in later if it
doesn't go away after a few thousand miles. I was not satisfied. I
then took it to Fairway Ford in Placentia. They heard the noise, said
it is not right and said they would fix it. They have been working with
Ford engineers on trying to diagnose the problem. Last week the dropped
an entire new engine in the truck. Ford sent the engine from the
plant. The noise is still there. On Thursday, Oct. 27 it goes back in
for a new computer. Maybe that will fix it. The dealership, great
people, and Ford engineers have decided to spend whatever time and
effort it takes to find and fix the problem. Something that I didn't
feel I had at Carmenita. It's a shame that my new truck has to be
diagnosed and pulled apart piece by piece, but I guess it's the only way
to find the problem. I'm in contact with Ford's Customer Assistance
Center to document everything on a regular basis. Hopefully I won't
need to pursue other options for a fix, but I want to be sure I'm
covered if needed. I'll keep everyone up-to-date on my progress.
Hopefully no others are having the same noise. Just wanted to let you
know about my experiences with the different dealerships. Let me know
if anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom for me. Thanks.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:48:49 -0500
From: Stan Wright
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - weird problem

Thanks!

Jean Marc Chartier wrote:

> Stan Wright wrote:
> >
> > When I came home tonight and turned off my truck (1999 F250 SD) a
> > buzzing sound came from underneath the dash. It would stay on
> > continuously until I turned the key on. It kind of sounds like a
> > buzzing fire alarm they have in buildings. I took off the coverplate to
> > gain access under the dash. The buzzing comes from a black box located
> > behind the dash under the dash storage pocket. It sounds like a relay
> > buzzing, if you've ever heard that.....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.