From: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com (97up-list-digest)
To: 97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list-digest V2 #278
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


97up-list-digest Thursday, October 14 1999 Volume 02 : Number 278



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - 99 F350 4X4 5th Wheel Tow Height
FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming
FTE 97up - trailer tow package?
FTE 97up - clock spring
Re: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?
Re: FTE 97up - clock spring
Re: FTE 97up - clock spring
FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...
FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming
RE: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...
Re: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?
Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...
FTE 97up - Excursion Trailer Tow Mirrors
Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming
Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...
Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming
Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming
Re: [FTE 97up - 99 F350 4X4 5th Wheel Tow Height]
Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming
Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:50:09 -0500
From: DanBrotzman
Subject: FTE 97up - 99 F350 4X4 5th Wheel Tow Height

I am looking purchasing a 5th wheel travel trailer. I have always towed =
conventional bumper pull travel trailers for the past 30 years with no =
problems and currently pull a 28 footer with my 99.5 F350 4X4 CC LB PSD =
6spd SRW. I have the taller 4" rear axle blocks on my truck. I currently =
have my truck all set up for bumper pull trailers and am wondering what =
expenses I can expect if I change over to a 5th wheel set up. Is it =
really necessary to change the axle blocks? What modifications need to =
be done to the truck to mount a 5th wheel hitch? Will I notice enough =
difference in handling to make the change to 5th wheel worth the hassle =
and expense? My current trailer gross weight loaded is just over 8,000 =
lbs and the PSD pulls it in overdrive all day long without any power =
problems. If I move up to a trailer weighing about 12,500 lbs (5th =
wheel) will the PSD pull it in overdrive or will it be necessary to pull =
in direct drive? Any info will be appreciated, thanks.
Dan - Wisconsin

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:33:54 -0400
From: "Douglas Petschow"
Subject: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming

Just got off the phone with my dealer and he told me that they didn't even start
making my truck yet which means I have to wait at least another 8-10 weeks (at
least) and he says he's got me on priority over everyone else. Originally when
I ordered this truck (early June) they told me it would be here late September
early October. The dealer told me that these trucks are in great demand which I
believe and they are having trouble getting them. Is this problem common with
all dealers? I truly trust this dealer but I would like to get some input from
the list on this issue. The truck I ordered is a 250SD XLT (I believe) with the
V10, 410 gears, and the off-road package. As always TIA!
-Doug-




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:35:15 +0100
From: "Kirk Werner"
Subject: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?

How is it that an F350 V-10, 4.30 rear with a tow package does not include
the hitch? It has the 4-prong trailer connector, but the hitch is not
included...What's the rational behind this?

Thanks

Kirk
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:09:11 -0700
From: "Bruce McCoy"
Subject: FTE 97up - clock spring

i visited my Ford dealer yesterday with the following symtoms on my '97
Eddie Bauer Expedition; air bag warning light flashing a 3-2 code, horn not
operating, cruise control not operating. the dealer called me and said that
a "clock spring" had gone bad (they'd have to order one) and that the repair
would cost around $210, over and above the $36 "diagnosis fee".

my questions are:
what is a "clock spring"?
why is it so damned expensive to replace?

any thoughts?

Bruce McCoy

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:48:51 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?

50% Of my customers are farmers and they don't like the Ford hitch. DMI
makes a spring loaded hitch the swivels and telescopes and is much better
for pulling anhydrous or liquids. Thats why Ford leaves the hitch separate
from the T Tow package.

Nathan

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Kirk Werner
To:
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 2:35 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?


> How is it that an F350 V-10, 4.30 rear with a tow package does not include
> the hitch? It has the 4-prong trailer connector, but the hitch is not
> included...What's the rational behind this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kirk
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:51:54 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - clock spring

What the clock spring is is a long ribon cable that allows the steering
wheel to turn. This replaced the old contact system that Cruise control and
Horns used to use

Nathan

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce McCoy
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 11:09 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - clock spring


> i visited my Ford dealer yesterday with the following symtoms on my '97
> Eddie Bauer Expedition; air bag warning light flashing a 3-2 code, horn
not
> operating, cruise control not operating. the dealer called me and said
that
> a "clock spring" had gone bad (they'd have to order one) and that the
repair
> would cost around $210, over and above the $36 "diagnosis fee".
>
> my questions are:
> what is a "clock spring"?
> why is it so damned expensive to replace?
>
> any thoughts?
>
> Bruce McCoy
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:22:01 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - clock spring

Bruce McCoy wrote:
>
> i visited my Ford dealer yesterday with the following symtoms on my '97
> Eddie Bauer Expedition; air bag warning light flashing a 3-2 code, horn not
> operating, cruise control not operating. the dealer called me and said that
> a "clock spring" had gone bad (they'd have to order one) and that the repair
> would cost around $210, over and above the $36 "diagnosis fee".
>
> my questions are:
> what is a "clock spring"?
> why is it so damned expensive to replace?
>
> any thoughts?
>
> Bruce McCoy
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Bruce,

It is what the contacts slide on as the wheel is turned.
It looks like a clock spring.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:54:33 -0500
From: "Shane"
Subject: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...

Hi fellow Ford fans,

I am in quite a quandary. I am going to order a new psd van tomorrow and
can't decide whether to get an extended van or regular.
I would like the ext. for more room. I am in a wheelchair and so I
already lose my middle seat so I can get in the van. Two front seats and
the one rear bench doesn't cut it when loading up more than five friends
and/or family.
The problem is that i've heard that the ext. van can be a little tail
wag happy on icy roads and can be more of a challenge when towing (I'll
be pulling a 30' car trailer w/ my drag car).
I was hoping that I could get some opinions and input from some people
that have "been there and done that".
The extra bench would be nice but not if the van will be chasing it's
tail all winter.


TIA

Shane

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:55:37 -0400
From: "Douglas Petschow"
Subject: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming

Just got off the phone with my dealer and he told me that they didn't even start
making my truck yet which means I have to wait at least another 8-10 weeks (at
least) and he says he's got me on priority over everyone else. Originally when
I ordered this truck (early June) they told me it would be here late September
early October. The dealer told me that these trucks are in great demand which I
believe and they are having trouble getting them. Is this problem common with
all dealers? I truly trust this dealer but I would like to get some input from
the list on this issue. The truck I ordered is a 250SD XLT (I believe) with the
V10, 410 gears, and the off-road package. As always TIA!
-Doug-




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:30:53 -0400
From: Steve Zinski
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...

Anyone have any experience with the Banks TransCommand module?
(http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.bankspower.com/GBford.html) I am interested in this unit and
would like to hear any comments regarding the unit. Thanks!

--Steve


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:16:59 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?

Some people use a fifth wheel, not a rear hitch. Also, some may want to
install a beefier hitch than you can order. Or, perhaps, Ford wants to make
more $.

Keith


- ----- Original Message -----
From: Kirk Werner
To:
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 1999 3:35 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - trailer tow package?


> How is it that an F350 V-10, 4.30 rear with a tow package does not include
> the hitch? It has the 4-prong trailer connector, but the hitch is not
> included...What's the rational behind this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kirk
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:23:19 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...

Been there, done that. If you get the extended E-350 (I assume that is what
you are getting), and you get all the heavy-duty suspension options, you
should be just fine. However, my last experience with an E-350 was in 1986!
Actually, if you get the extended version and you do have a little
tail-waggle, there are quite a few aftermarket vendors that can probably
provide parts to eliminate that. I would get all the room I could. By the
way, what type of drag-car?

Keith

Original Message -----
From: Shane
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 1:54 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...


> Hi fellow Ford fans,
>
> I am in quite a quandary. I am going to order a new psd van tomorrow and
> can't decide whether to get an extended van or regular.
> I would like the ext. for more room. I am in a wheelchair and so I
> already lose my middle seat so I can get in the van. Two front seats and
> the one rear bench doesn't cut it when loading up more than five friends
> and/or family.
> The problem is that i've heard that the ext. van can be a little tail
> wag happy on icy roads and can be more of a challenge when towing (I'll
> be pulling a 30' car trailer w/ my drag car).
> I was hoping that I could get some opinions and input from some people
> that have "been there and done that".
> The extra bench would be nice but not if the van will be chasing it's
> tail all winter.
>
>
> TIA
>
> Shane
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:22:24 -0700
From: "Jeff Schapker"
Subject: FTE 97up - Excursion Trailer Tow Mirrors

Are the Excursion TT mirrors the same as the Super Duty TT mirrors except
for being heated? Will they interchange with the Super Duty? How is the
heat turned on to these mirrors?
TIA, Jeff




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:45:13 -0700
From: Dave Santo
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming

It seems to hinge on "allocation" (how many vehicles Ford will ALLOW the dealer to
have). I ordered a '00 F-250 SD/SC V-10, 4x4, etc. from a dealer in July. As of
Sept. 16th, and having NOT gotten even "scheduled" yet, I come to find out that
between Sept. 16th and Dec. 31st, he is allocated, NOW GET THIS(!!!), ONLY TWO
SUPER DUTIES! I had to badger him to go from priority 10 to priority 2. and was
still saying that it SHOULD get scheduled next. BTW, he also did not know WHEN his
allocated trucks would be built. Both could have been in December!

On Sept. 21st, I went to another dealer. A Ford TRUCK dealer. Order was put in.
Truck was scheduled on Sept. 23rd. 2 DAYS! Scheduled for production week of October
4th. Built on 10/4 or 10/5. Released from factory on 10/6 and shipped on rail for
delivery week of Oct. 24th. I called the VOPC this morning and the recording was
changed to say delivery scheduled about one week later than original. Why??? STILL
sooner that that other dealer!

I suggest if you want a truck, go to a truck only dealer. Where the "other" dealer
was allocated only 2 between Sept. 16th and Dec. 31st, the truck dealer I went to
was allocated 29 for September and 37 for October.

I ordered from Carmenita Truck Center in Santa Fe Springs, CA (Southern Los Angeles
County/Northern Orange County at the Carmenita exit off of I-5, a few miles north
of the 91 freeway). 800-921-2152. Call Steve Huntsman. I am pleased and awaiting
delivery.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:42:08 -0500
From: "Shane"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...

Keith,

Thanks for your reply. What about driveability in town, parking, visibility etc.
I have also heard that a limited slip is worse on slick roads is this true. My
'87 is a one wheeler and will get stuck just pulling out of my driveway in 2" of
snow.
My drag car is a '67 Cutlass w/ a 455 Olds' bored and stroked to 485 cu. in.,
back halved w/ a 4 link, 9" rear and all the goodies. Only been on the track
twice. Best yet is a 9.86 at 131.


Thanks

Shane


Keith Veren wrote:

> Been there, done that. If you get the extended E-350 (I assume that is what
> you are getting), and you get all the heavy-duty suspension options, you
> should be just fine. However, my last experience with an E-350 was in 1986!
> Actually, if you get the extended version and you do have a little
> tail-waggle, there are quite a few aftermarket vendors that can probably
> provide parts to eliminate that. I would get all the room I could. By the
> way, what type of drag-car?
>
> Keith
>
> Original Message -----
> From: Shane
> To:
> Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 1:54 PM
> Subject: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...
>
> > Hi fellow Ford fans,
> >
> > I am in quite a quandary. I am going to order a new psd van tomorrow and
> > can't decide whether to get an extended van or regular.
> > I would like the ext. for more room. I am in a wheelchair and so I
> > already lose my middle seat so I can get in the van. Two front seats and
> > the one rear bench doesn't cut it when loading up more than five friends
> > and/or family.
> > The problem is that i've heard that the ext. van can be a little tail
> > wag happy on icy roads and can be more of a challenge when towing (I'll
> > be pulling a 30' car trailer w/ my drag car).
> > I was hoping that I could get some opinions and input from some people
> > that have "been there and done that".
> > The extra bench would be nice but not if the van will be chasing it's
> > tail all winter.
> >
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Shane
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:27:50 -0500
From: tvsjr sprynet.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming

I ordered my 00 F-250 SD/SC V-8 4x2 4.10 from a small dealership. I ordered
about August 25, received September 15. Not too bad! Every other dealer I
talked to (big name dealers) told me that I could get one about January.
Proof that a large dealership is not always the best dealership.

Terry

At 01:45 PM 10/13/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>It seems to hinge on "allocation" (how many vehicles Ford will ALLOW the
>dealer to
>have). I ordered a '00 F-250 SD/SC V-10, 4x4, etc. from a dealer in July.
As of
>Sept. 16th, and having NOT gotten even "scheduled" yet, I come to find out
that
>between Sept. 16th and Dec. 31st, he is allocated, NOW GET THIS(!!!), ONLY TWO
>SUPER DUTIES! I had to badger him to go from priority 10 to priority 2.
and was
>still saying that it SHOULD get scheduled next. BTW, he also did not know
>WHEN his
>allocated trucks would be built. Both could have been in December!
>
>On Sept. 21st, I went to another dealer. A Ford TRUCK dealer. Order was
put in.
>Truck was scheduled on Sept. 23rd. 2 DAYS! Scheduled for production week of
>October
>4th. Built on 10/4 or 10/5. Released from factory on 10/6 and shipped on
>rail for
>delivery week of Oct. 24th. I called the VOPC this morning and the recording
>was
>changed to say delivery scheduled about one week later than original. Why???
>STILL
>sooner that that other dealer!
>
>I suggest if you want a truck, go to a truck only dealer. Where the "other"
>dealer
>was allocated only 2 between Sept. 16th and Dec. 31st, the truck dealer I
>went to
>was allocated 29 for September and 37 for October.
>
>I ordered from Carmenita Truck Center in Santa Fe Springs, CA (Southern Los
>Angeles
>County/Northern Orange County at the Carmenita exit off of I-5, a few miles
>north
>of the 91 freeway). 800-921-2152. Call Steve Huntsman. I am pleased and
>awaiting
>delivery.
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:55:09 EDT
From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming

I've also noticed a lot of variation among dealers and in regions of the
country
Here in the Hampton Roads area of VA, I see few superduties on the road. I
also see few sitting in the dealers lot.

Go to Staunton Va. Much smaller metropoilitan area, smaller dealer and I see
Super Duty's lined up on the lot like the army ready for battle.

Down in Houston, Tx , a recent trip, Bay Ford had a bunch of Super Duties,
extended cab, Lariets whatever, even 4x4's which are very unusual for the
Houston area. Texas is truck country though. That's where the Burbon is the
National Car of Texas. And guess what, they had 6 fairly well loaded
Excursions sittiing on the lot. Have not seen one of those in Va yet. They
even had a Lightning in the showroom with a $2000 + Additional limited
availability markup over MSRP.

So yes, checking out the dealers allocation and just observing what's on his
lot will tell you whether he can deliver.

John G
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: 13 Oct 99 17:58:20 PDT
From: lee cowell
Subject: Re: [FTE 97up - 99 F350 4X4 5th Wheel Tow Height]

Dan, your largest concern is going to be rail height. your truck's rail h=
eight
ought to be around 59" from the ground and this is too tall for many five=
rs as
you need at least 5" from the rail top to the bottom of the fifth (when y=
ou're
"connected") for manuverability clearance. on more economical fivers the
axle(s) can be "reversed" and this will give you a couple of extra inches=
of
height on the coach (it raises the entire coach the width of the axle).
"reversed" is when the coaches leaf springs are mounted to the top of the=

axle(s) rather than being "slung" below them. in some cases (especially w=
ith
more expensive coaches (such as airstreams) leaf springs are not used at =
all.
torsion bar axles are used instead and because of this there are no leaf
springs (therefore, nothing to "reverse"). you want your fiver to ride as=

level as possible as this equally loads the axles. if you're riding too "=
high"
(at the front in order to get rail clearance on "tall" pickup boxes) a lo=
t of
extra poundage is going to be applied to the rear most axle and the forwa=
rd
axle won't be hauling his fair share. our coach (an airsteam) has 60" of
clearance between the ground and the bottom of the coach (where the pin b=
ox is
located) when level. we're riding a couple of inches high on a 2" block
vehicle but this is not a real concern on this coach as there are some BI=
G
axle's under there. also make sure that whoever mounts your fiver hitch i=
n the
bed has the vertical centerline of the king pin at least 3" in front of t=
he
vertical centerline of your vehicle axle. if this is not done your overal=
l
handling can be severely compromised. you probably will also need to repl=
ace
those 4" blocks with 2" ones to lower your pickup bed (which of course al=
so
lowers the siderails). finally, don't exceed 12.5k on your rig or you wil=
l be
close to the GCWR (20k on a y2k... yours is probably the same). =


you can expect considerable improvement in handling with a fiver. however=
; are
you "happy" with your current coach or do you plan to replace it as a mat=
ter
of course (it's "oldish" or your lifestyle may have "outgrown" it, etc.)?=
we
don't suggest you replace your current coach just to gain handling
improvement. however; if you will be upgrading anyhow to a newer coach, t=
he
fiver is definitely the way to go. the fiver will hitch/unhitch in just a=

couple of minutes and can be accomplished easily (once you become accusto=
med
to the process) alone. they have considerably more ground clearance (ours=
has
9" of clearance at the axles and no less than 14" everywhere else!), and =
they
are also considerably more manuverable as your overall length is less. yo=
u can
also hitch/unhitch/ turn with the vehicle perpendicular to the coach. thi=
s is
not possible with a conventional trailer. we've had our coach in places w=
here
a 38' motorhome could not even think about (and we're 46' long rolling do=
wn
the "pike". =


Dan, you ought to be able to pull in OD near the speed limit in fairly le=
vel
terrain. as a final note, you won't even know you're being passed (or are=

passing) a tractor trailer rig until the deed is done (NO "woosh"!). hope=
this
helps. -Lee =


DanBrotzman wrote:
I am looking purchasing a 5th wheel travel trailer. I have always towed
conventional bumper pull travel trailers for the past 30 years with no
problems and currently pull a 28 footer with my 99.5 F350 4X4 CC LB PSD 6=
spd
SRW. I have the taller 4" rear axle blocks on my truck. I currently have =
my
truck all set up for bumper pull trailers and am wondering what expenses =
I can
expect if I change over to a 5th wheel set up. Is it really necessary to
change the axle blocks? What modifications need to be done to the truck t=
o
mount a 5th wheel hitch? Will I notice enough difference in handling to m=
ake
the change to 5th wheel worth the hassle and expense? My current trailer =
gross
weight loaded is just over 8,000 lbs and the PSD pulls it in overdrive al=
l day
long without any power problems. If I move up to a trailer weighing about=

12,500 lbs (5th wheel) will the PSD pull it in overdrive or will it be
necessary to pull in direct drive? Any info will be appreciated, thanks.
Dan - Wisconsin

=3D=3D FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.h=
tml


____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:19:57 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming

Same here, I got my '99 F-350 superDuty from a small dealer last December
(ordered it in late September, so only a 10-week wait) from a small dealer
during the time when EVERYONE said "you cannot get a SuperDuty V-10, you
will be waiting 9 months".

Keith


- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - My 00 SD is never coming


> I ordered my 00 F-250 SD/SC V-8 4x2 4.10 from a small dealership. I
ordered
> about August 25, received September 15. Not too bad! Every other dealer I
> talked to (big name dealers) told me that I could get one about January.
> Proof that a large dealership is not always the best dealership.
>
> Terry
>
> At 01:45 PM 10/13/1999 -0700, you wrote:
> >It seems to hinge on "allocation" (how many vehicles Ford will ALLOW the
> >dealer to
> >have). I ordered a '00 F-250 SD/SC V-10, 4x4, etc. from a dealer in July.
> As of
> >Sept. 16th, and having NOT gotten even "scheduled" yet, I come to find
out
> that
> >between Sept. 16th and Dec. 31st, he is allocated, NOW GET THIS(!!!),
ONLY TWO
> >SUPER DUTIES! I had to badger him to go from priority 10 to priority 2.
> and was
> >still saying that it SHOULD get scheduled next. BTW, he also did not know
> >WHEN his
> >allocated trucks would be built. Both could have been in December!
> >
> >On Sept. 21st, I went to another dealer. A Ford TRUCK dealer. Order was
> put in.
> >Truck was scheduled on Sept. 23rd. 2 DAYS! Scheduled for production week
of
> >October
> >4th. Built on 10/4 or 10/5. Released from factory on 10/6 and shipped on
> >rail for
> >delivery week of Oct. 24th. I called the VOPC this morning and the
recording
> >was
> >changed to say delivery scheduled about one week later than original.
Why???
> >STILL
> >sooner that that other dealer!
> >
> >I suggest if you want a truck, go to a truck only dealer. Where the
"other"
> >dealer
> >was allocated only 2 between Sept. 16th and Dec. 31st, the truck dealer I
> >went to
> >was allocated 29 for September and 37 for October.
> >
> >I ordered from Carmenita Truck Center in Santa Fe Springs, CA (Southern
Los
> >Angeles
> >County/Northern Orange County at the Carmenita exit off of I-5, a few
miles
> >north
> >of the 91 freeway). 800-921-2152. Call Steve Huntsman. I am pleased and
> >awaiting
> >delivery.
> >
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:30:17 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...

The only time you need to worry about limited slip is when you are stopped,
lets say at a red light, on ice or snow, and the road is crowned (usually to
the right). If you are not careful, when you go to take-off, you may find
both rear wheel spinning as you slide sideways off the road. That's about
it for potential problems. I am building a '67 Camero [4:11 Posi, Turbo 400
street/strip built, ratchet shifter, and a big block currently being built
by Becks Racing Engines (454+), no roll-cage (yet)/minor chassis mods, added
front disks, will add driveshaft loop, fire ext. ect. as required]. Hope to
drive to the track, run mid-to-high 10s (even low 11s), then drive home,
pick-up the kids to go to McDonalds.


- ----- Original Message -----
From: Shane
To:
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...


> Keith,
>
> Thanks for your reply. What about driveability in town, parking,
visibility etc.
> I have also heard that a limited slip is worse on slick roads is this
true. My
> '87 is a one wheeler and will get stuck just pulling out of my driveway in
2" of
> snow.
> My drag car is a '67 Cutlass w/ a 455 Olds' bored and stroked to 485 cu.
in.,
> back halved w/ a 4 link, 9" rear and all the goodies. Only been on the
track
> twice. Best yet is a 9.86 at 131.
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Shane
>
>
> Keith Veren wrote:
>
> > Been there, done that. If you get the extended E-350 (I assume that is
what
> > you are getting), and you get all the heavy-duty suspension options, you
> > should be just fine. However, my last experience with an E-350 was in
1986!
> > Actually, if you get the extended version and you do have a little
> > tail-waggle, there are quite a few aftermarket vendors that can probably
> > provide parts to eliminate that. I would get all the room I could. By
the
> > way, what type of drag-car?
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > Original Message -----
> > From: Shane
> > To:
> > Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 1:54 PM
> > Subject: FTE 97up - To extend or not to extend...
> >
> > > Hi fellow Ford fans,
> > >
> > > I am in quite a quandary. I am going to order a new psd van tomorrow
and
> > > can't decide whether to get an extended van or regular.....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.