From: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com (97up-list-digest)
To: 97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list-digest V2 #238
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


97up-list-digest Monday, September 6 1999 Volume 02 : Number 238



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - F-350 DRW 4WABS brakes
Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
FTE 97up - Performance Questions about new 2000 F-150 Lariat 4x4
Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
Re: FTE 97up - Performance Questions about new 2000 F-150 Lariat 4x4
Re: FTE 97up - Performance Questions about new 2000 F-150 Lariat 4x4
FTE 97up - Archives
Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:32:05 -0400
From: Lee Haefele
Subject: FTE 97up - F-350 DRW 4WABS brakes

Does anyone that has a heavily loaded F-350 DRW feel that the brakes are
proportioned wrong, with not enough braking on the rear wheels? I saw
the posts on short brake life and am not surprised, my front brakes
overheat badly on hills that did not bother my 1989. I am sure they
will crack the pads & rotors. Plus these brakes are unsafe in the
winter on snow. Do I have something that can be repaired, or are they
just built this way? My dealer is small (one mechanic, since the other
died) and can't fix it.
Lee Haefele
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:56:53 -0500
From: "Mike Fairleigh"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal

I'd like an answer to these questions, too. I have a '98 SC 4x2 XLT w/power
windows and 18,000 miles. I've only checked the driver's door so far, but
I've looked as much as possible and have found nothing. My concern is, it
seems everyone else is finding cracks with little or no effort, and I don't
understand how. Are they completely exposed (i.e., outside the moldings)?
I can't get in behind any of the molding or weatherstrip around this area of
the window, except for one very small (1" long or so) area along the bottom
of the window. So, without a better description of 1) where the cracks are
being found and 2) WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO DO TO FIND THEM, I can't feel certain
that I do or don't have one. No flames intended or requested, but several
people have asked these questions in different ways and nobody has really
given a good answer yet, at least to #2.

Thanks.

Mike Fairleigh
mikef sky.net
...Always remembering our veterans.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: pennhead
To:
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 11:48 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal


> Once again... where is the crack? From my understanding it is a
horizontal
> crack parallel to the bottom of the window, and is up just a few inches
from
> the bottom of the rear corner of the window. On my '99 there is an extra
> piece of rubber (in kind of an "L" shape) at the back corner of the side
> windows that lays atop the rubber strip that surrounds the window opening.
> Does everybody's have this extra layer of rubber? Is the crack visible
> without pulling back any rubber seals or anything?
>
> Thanks,
> Penn
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Darin Sipe
> Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 11:26 PM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
>
>
> I asked a friend today to check his 97 F150 ext. cab w/p.w. He had the
> same crack. This definitely seems to be a design problem. Mine is
> already showing signs of rust. Any questions remaining that this is a
> real problem?
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:34:55 -0400
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal

At 12:56 PM 9/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I'd like an answer to these questions, too. I have a '98 SC 4x2 XLT w/power
>windows and 18,000 miles. I've only checked the driver's door so far, but
>I've looked as much as possible and have found nothing. My concern is, it
>seems everyone else is finding cracks with little or no effort, and I don't
>understand how. Are they completely exposed (i.e., outside the moldings)?
>I can't get in behind any of the molding or weatherstrip around this area of
>the window, except for one very small (1" long or so) area along the bottom
>of the window. So, without a better description of 1) where the cracks are
>being found and 2) WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO DO TO FIND THEM, I can't feel certain
>that I do or don't have one. No flames intended or requested, but several
>people have asked these questions in different ways and nobody has really
>given a good answer yet, at least to #2.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mike Fairleigh
>mikef sky.net
>...Always remembering our veterans.

Lift the outside weather-stripping on the bottom of
of the window (the side closest to the door handle)
where the curve starts.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:08:17 -0500
From: jmann living.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Performance Questions about new 2000 F-150 Lariat 4x4

Hello all,

I'm preparing to order a 2000 F-150 (5.4 Triton) Lariat 4x4. The great
thing about this is that my brother works for Ford, cha-ching! The dealer
I'm working with here in Austin, TX., Covert Ford, has their own, huge,
brand new custom shop. Its called Central Texas Customs.

The Question(s);

- - I'm looking at a 50 or 70 series Flowmater mufflers. Ultimately I want
better gas mileage and power, but I have to consider my neighbors; my garage
is directly under one. Advise??

- - Now for the K&N Air Filter, should I go with the replacement for the
factory airbox, or should I go the whole nine yards, ditch the airbox and go
with the K&N Cone setup??

- - How about Mass Airflow Sensors? Good or bad idea? Any recommendations?

- - Big bore throttle bodies??

- - Performance ECUs????

- - And last, but I'm sure not least, Splitfire plugs?


Basically, I'm looking for the best-bang-for-your-buck bolt-on parts, the
goals are gas mileage and power, in that order.

Oh, and finally, at this point I've built the truck with a 3.55 limited slip
diff(LSD), how would the 3.73 LSD affect gas milage.

And YES, I know gas is cheap!

Thanks in advance guys!

Joe



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:30:13 -0700
From: "Steve J. Hodson"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal

If you really want to settle the "find the crack" puzzle maybe one of the
better equipped members can attach a gif taken with a CD camera or scanned
in from a photograph with a flat bed scanner. "A picture is worth a
thousand words"
- -----Original Message-----
From: Ken Payne
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Sunday, September 05, 1999 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal


>At 12:56 PM 9/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>I'd like an answer to these questions, too. I have a '98 SC 4x2 XLT
w/power
>>windows and 18,000 miles. I've only checked the driver's door so far, but
>>I've looked as much as possible and have found nothing. My concern is, it
>>seems everyone else is finding cracks with little or no effort, and I
don't
>>understand how. Are they completely exposed (i.e., outside the moldings)?
>>I can't get in behind any of the molding or weatherstrip around this area
of
>>the window, except for one very small (1" long or so) area along the
bottom
>>of the window. So, without a better description of 1) where the cracks
are
>>being found and 2) WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO DO TO FIND THEM, I can't feel
certain
>>that I do or don't have one. No flames intended or requested, but several
>>people have asked these questions in different ways and nobody has really
>>given a good answer yet, at least to #2.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Mike Fairleigh
>>mikef sky.net
>>...Always remembering our veterans.
>
>Lift the outside weather-stripping on the bottom of
>of the window (the side closest to the door handle)
>where the curve starts.
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:09:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Keith R. Jarvis"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Performance Questions about new 2000 F-150 Lariat 4x4

>
> Hello all,
>
> I'm preparing to order a 2000 F-150 (5.4 Triton) Lariat 4x4. The great
> thing about this is that my brother works for Ford, cha-ching! The dealer
> I'm working with here in Austin, TX., Covert Ford, has their own, huge,
> brand new custom shop. Its called Central Texas Customs.
>
> The Question(s);
>
> - I'm looking at a 50 or 70 series Flowmater mufflers. Ultimately I want
> better gas mileage and power, but I have to consider my neighbors; my garage
> is directly under one. Advise??
[snip]

I just got a 99 F-150 XLT 4x4 a week ago, with the 5.4L Triton and 3.73 LSD
but I haven't had a "slate" gas tank to do any measurements off of yet. I
am having a 40 series Flowmaster (3-chamber) muffler installed on it next
week, so I'll let you know how it sounds. My friend has the 2-chamber FMs
(dual exhaust, mine is of course uni exhaust) on his 69 Camaro and they
sound great idle but are too loud with an open throttle.. the 3-chambers
are supposed to be noticably quiter (we'll see). At any rate, might not help
you much now but I'll keep you informed ;)

- - --krj
- --
Keith R. Jarvis (kjarvis iss.net) http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://xforce.iss.net
Internet Security Systems, Inc. +1-678-443-6149 (direct)
Adaptive Network Security for the Enterprise +1-678-443-6479 (fax)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:13:54 -0700
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Performance Questions about new 2000 F-150 Lariat 4x4

Joe, the more gear you got the more low power you got!
I love low end power! The truck is 4X4, if you ever plan on going with a taller
tire
I would get all the gear I could .because the taller tires will kill it !!!!!!!
To me a little gas is a small price to pay for the performance you gain with the

high number gears! I would go with 4.10 or higher! Depending on what you plan on

doing with the tires in the future?
Just my 2 cent!
Gene

jmann living.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm preparing to order a 2000 F-150 (5.4 Triton) Lariat 4x4. The great
> thing about this is that my brother works for Ford, cha-ching! The dealer
> I'm working with here in Austin, TX., Covert Ford, has their own, huge,
> brand new custom shop. Its called Central Texas Customs.
>
> The Question(s);
>
> - I'm looking at a 50 or 70 series Flowmater mufflers. Ultimately I want
> better gas mileage and power, but I have to consider my neighbors; my garage
> is directly under one. Advise??
>
> - Now for the K&N Air Filter, should I go with the replacement for the
> factory airbox, or should I go the whole nine yards, ditch the airbox and go
> with the K&N Cone setup??
>
> - How about Mass Airflow Sensors? Good or bad idea? Any recommendations?
>
> - Big bore throttle bodies??
>
> - Performance ECUs????
>
> - And last, but I'm sure not least, Splitfire plugs?
>
> Basically, I'm looking for the best-bang-for-your-buck bolt-on parts, the
> goals are gas mileage and power, in that order.
>
> Oh, and finally, at this point I've built the truck with a 3.55 limited slip
> diff(LSD), how would the 3.73 LSD affect gas milage.
>
> And YES, I know gas is cheap!
>
> Thanks in advance guys!
>
> Joe
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 23:45:32 GMT
From: tlveik megavision.com (Thomas Veik)
Subject: FTE 97up - Archives

I went to the web site to search through the archives today and
couldn't find them. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Tom
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 21:22:37 -0400
From: CnC
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal

If you can't find the crack, you may be lucky and your truck does not have
one.

Initially, I failed to find a crack. Then in bright sunshine this morning,
on our way to church, I rubbed the surface, and I found the crack by feel
with my finger, and then I SAW the crack; it runs on a horizontal plane,
and my crack is no more than 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. I did not have to pull
back the rubber in order to see the crack.

Does this help you?

Chris

At 12:56 PM 9/5/99 -0500, Mike Fairleigh wrote:
>I'd like an answer to these questions, too. I have a '98 SC 4x2 XLT w/power
>windows and 18,000 miles. I've only checked the driver's door so far, but
>I've looked as much as possible and have found nothing. My concern is, it
>seems everyone else is finding cracks with little or no effort, and I don't
>understand how. Are they completely exposed (i.e., outside the moldings)?
>I can't get in behind any of the molding or weatherstrip around this area of
>the window, except for one very small (1" long or so) area along the bottom
>of the window. So, without a better description of 1) where the cracks are
>being found and 2) WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO DO TO FIND THEM, I can't feel certain
>that I do or don't have one. No flames intended or requested, but several
>people have asked these questions in different ways and nobody has really
>given a good answer yet, at least to #2.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mike Fairleigh
>mikef sky.net
>...Always remembering our veterans.
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: pennhead
>To:
>Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 11:48 PM
>Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
>
>
>> Once again... where is the crack? From my understanding it is a
>horizontal
>> crack parallel to the bottom of the window, and is up just a few inches
>from
>> the bottom of the rear corner of the window. On my '99 there is an extra
>> piece of rubber (in kind of an "L" shape) at the back corner of the side
>> windows that lays atop the rubber strip that surrounds the window opening.
>> Does everybody's have this extra layer of rubber? Is the crack visible
>> without pulling back any rubber seals or anything?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Penn
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
>> [mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Darin Sipe
>> Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 11:26 PM
>> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>> Subject: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
>>
>>
>> I asked a friend today to check his 97 F150 ext. cab w/p.w. He had the
>> same crack. This definitely seems to be a design problem. Mine is
>> already showing signs of rust. Any questions remaining that this is a
>> real problem?
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>




- -cnc-
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:41:42 EDT
From: RiTruckGuy aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal

Its a 97 F150 4x4 Supercab with the off road package.

What kind of a truck do you have?

At 03:06 PM 9/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I didn't have to remove anything on mine....on both sides, the cracks were
>up about 4 inches from the bottom rear corner of the window, and in both
>cases, ran parallel with the bottom of the window....both are about 1/4 inch
>long right now
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>




- -cnc-
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


- ----------------------- Headers --------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from rly-yb03.mx.aol.com (rly-yb03.mail.aol.com [172.18.146.3]) by
air-yb05.mail.aol.com (v60.28) with ESMTP; Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:15:31 -0400
Received: from ford-trucks.com (ford-trucks.com [192.41.63.203]) by
rly-yb03.mx.aol.com (v60.28) with ESMTP; Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:15:19 -0400
Received: (fordtruc localhost) by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id QAA24490; Sat, 4
Sep 1999 16:11:06 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from smtp02.infoave.net (smtp02.infoave.net [165.166.0.27]) by
ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id QAA24485; Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from dixieviking ("port 1089" [206.74.206.94])
by SMTP00.InfoAve.Net (PMDF V5.1-12 #23426)
with SMTP id for
97up-list ford-trucks.com; Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:10:52 EDT
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 15:34:28 -0400
From: CnC
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Cracked door sheetmetal
In-reply-to:
X-Sender: dixieviking mail.pbtcomm.net
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Message-id:....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.