From: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com (97up-list-digest)
To: 97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list-digest V2 #189
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-97up-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


97up-list-digest Friday, July 16 1999 Volume 02 : Number 189



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6
Re: FTE 97up - steering wheel shaking
Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply
Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply -Reply
Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply
FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F
Re: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6
RE: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F
FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty
Re: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6
Re: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty
Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply -Reply
FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F -Reply
RE: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F
RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F -Reply
RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's -Reply
Re: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty -Reply
Re: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55
Re: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty
RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
FTE 97up - steering wheel shaking
FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F
FTE 97up - 5.4l and Auto
Re: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55
Re: FTE 97up - Windshield Replacement

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:02:00 -0400
From: Dean Baruffi
Subject: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's

Hello everyone,

I am a new comer to the list. I was once on the list back in 1997 and have
just re-joined.

I currently have a 2000 F-150 2WD, 5.4L, Supercab, Flareside, Sport on
order and have many mods that I will be performing once I get it. My goal
is to have the truck run in the 14's on the 1/4 mile. It has the 3.55 rear
with Automatic tranny. This will be naturally aspirated (No turbo or
supercharger).

Below is my list of mods planned. If anyone has done any of these, please
send feedback as to what product you went with and any issues on the install.

1.) 4.10 gears in the rear. Reid Rider sells these for the Ford 9 3/4 inch
rear now. Will Ford reprogram my ECU for the 4.10 gears? Will the
Hypertech module do this for me?

2.) Cat back exhaust. 3" minimum diameter. Anyone install a Gibson on their
truck?

3.) Generation II K&N filter charger system (Possibly modify it to a "ram
air" type).

4.) Power pulleys (Crank, Atlernator, water pump)

5.) Electric cooling fans.

6.) Tranny shift kit (if available).

7.) Lower suspension (4" front, 6" back)

8.) Possibly more.



Does anyone make a deep aluminum Tranny oil pan for my tranny? I think
it's the 4R100 tranny.

Has anyone tried the Hypertech programmer on a 1998 or 1999 F-150?

Thanks in advance folks.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:45:52 -0500
From: "Owens, Robbie A"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's

Maybe you should think of getting your heads Ported and Polished, get
headers, and maybe bore out your throttle body. All that should give you
big gains, for big $$$ of course.
Rob Owens
Boeing Aerospace Operations
Buyer
Navy E-6 Program
405-739-4874

> ----------
> From: Dean Baruffi[SMTP:dean.baruffi yale.edu]
> Reply To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 7:02 AM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am a new comer to the list. I was once on the list back in 1997 and
> have
> just re-joined.
>
> I currently have a 2000 F-150 2WD, 5.4L, Supercab, Flareside, Sport on
> order and have many mods that I will be performing once I get it. My goal
> is to have the truck run in the 14's on the 1/4 mile. It has the 3.55
> rear
> with Automatic tranny. This will be naturally aspirated (No turbo or
> supercharger).
>
> Below is my list of mods planned. If anyone has done any of these, please
> send feedback as to what product you went with and any issues on the
> install.
>
> 1.) 4.10 gears in the rear. Reid Rider sells these for the Ford 9 3/4
> inch
> rear now. Will Ford reprogram my ECU for the 4.10 gears? Will the
> Hypertech module do this for me?
>
> 2.) Cat back exhaust. 3" minimum diameter. Anyone install a Gibson on
> their
> truck?
>
> 3.) Generation II K&N filter charger system (Possibly modify it to a "ram
> air" type).
>
> 4.) Power pulleys (Crank, Atlernator, water pump)
>
> 5.) Electric cooling fans.
>
> 6.) Tranny shift kit (if available).
>
> 7.) Lower suspension (4" front, 6" back)
>
> 8.) Possibly more.
>
>
>
> Does anyone make a deep aluminum Tranny oil pan for my tranny? I think
> it's the 4R100 tranny.
>
> Has anyone tried the Hypertech programmer on a 1998 or 1999 F-150?
>
> Thanks in advance folks.
>
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:56:55 -0400
From: KokWJ nswccd.navy.mil
Subject: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6

While the Triton V-8's are OHC engines, the new 4.2 L V-6
has appeared in trade mags as both an OHC (overhead cam)
and an OHV (overhead valve, cam in block) design.

They imply that the F-Series 4.2L V-6 is an OHV engine, while
the E-Series has an OHC V-6.

Can anyone clear up which, if any, E- or F-series have an
"OHC" V-6 base engine ? How do I tell (under the hood) ?

Thanks,
Bill Kok
kok nswccd.navy.mil

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:27:45 -0500
From: Glenn See
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - steering wheel shaking

my dealer replaced the grease in the steering gear box with a heavier grease
and cured the problem. I think that Ford has a letter out on it. This was
about three years ago, I bought one of the first '97's.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:12:44 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply

GEORGE CROLL wrote:
>
> Some interesting stuff in the performance products catalog, Spring /summer 99, Catalog 16F page 78 on Trition
> Engines.
>
Major Snip
> my .02 to stir the pot.
> George Croll
> EPA-OAR-ARD
> (202)564-0162
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

George,

Did the article mention the type of tranny that was used?
What trucks were being tested? Maybe Ford will modify the
V10 like it did the 5.4 in the F-150 in 1999.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:51:35 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply -Reply

Just that it was a 99. I thought the rear wheel HP and torque was the most interesting part. While the curves were
very flat indicating a broad, smooth, power band the actual HP and Torque numbers wereonce again low. I would
assume an auto tranny
George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:24:45 -0400
From: Dean Baruffi
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply

How do I get one of these catalogs?

Thanks

At 12:12 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
>GEORGE CROLL wrote:
>>
>> Some interesting stuff in the performance products catalog, Spring
/summer 99, Catalog 16F page 78 on Trition
>> Engines.
>>
>Major Snip
>> my .02 to stir the pot.
>> George Croll
>> EPA-OAR-ARD
>> (202)564-0162
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>George,
>
> Did the article mention the type of tranny that was used?
>What trucks were being tested? Maybe Ford will modify the
>V10 like it did the 5.4 in the F-150 in 1999.
>
>Regards
>
>Jean Marc Chartier
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:43:17 EDT
From: ATUMLAW aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F

I have larger tires on my 99 F-150 4x4 ORP than stock. I have the Mickey
Thompson 34 x 11.5 x17 on the factory 17 inch ORP rims. I took the truck in
to get an alignment under warranty and my dealer wouldn't do it because of
the tires. Has this happened to anyone else? My complaints are that the
tires wear funny, truck pulls to the left, and my steering wheel is off
center (been like that since new). Any help would be appreciated.

VTY

Atilla Babacan
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:58:13 +0000 (GMT)
From: Larry Drum
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6

Bill,

I too have a 99 V-6. Mine is not an OHC... I'm not sure about the
OHV....

Hope this helps,
Larry

- --- KokWJ nswccd.navy.mil wrote:
> While the Triton V-8's are OHC engines, the new 4.2
> L V-6
> has appeared in trade mags as both an OHC (overhead
> cam)
> and an OHV (overhead valve, cam in block) design.
>
> They imply that the F-Series 4.2L V-6 is an OHV
> engine, while
> the E-Series has an OHC V-6.
>
> Can anyone clear up which, if any, E- or F-series
> have an
> "OHC" V-6 base engine ? How do I tell (under the
> hood) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Kok
> kok nswccd.navy.mil
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:05:05 -0400
From: "D'Amelio, Stephen M."
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F

My experience with Mickey Thompson tires are that
they are junk. I could hardly keep a truck on the
road with those tires.

Steve D'Amelio
Systems Administrator
CVS/Pharmacy
1 CVS Drive
Woonsocket, RI 02895
401-765-1500 x3351 FAX 401-762-4607
mailto:smdamelio cvs.com http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.cvs.com

> ----------
> From: ATUMLAW aol.com[SMTP:ATUMLAW aol.com]
> Reply To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 3:43 PM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F
>
> I have larger tires on my 99 F-150 4x4 ORP than stock. I have the Mickey
> Thompson 34 x 11.5 x17 on the factory 17 inch ORP rims. I took the truck
> in
> to get an alignment under warranty and my dealer wouldn't do it because of
>
> the tires. Has this happened to anyone else? My complaints are that the
> tires wear funny, truck pulls to the left, and my steering wheel is off
> center (been like that since new). Any help would be appreciated.
>
> VTY
>
> Atilla Babacan
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:09:08 -0500
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.ford.com.br/showroom/f250/f250es.htm

Looks like the South American PSD engine is a Cummins.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:21:34 PDT
From: "Frank Spor"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6

If you don't know the difference, why do you care ?

The EPA sticker that gives timing info etc. under the hood will give you
engine displacement ETC. From that, you should be able to extrapolate the
"rest of the story".

To know just to Blah Blah about it is senseless.

The Oil goes here, and the Gas goes here...Step on dis pedal it goes, and
dis pedal it stops.




_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:23:49 PDT
From: "Frank Spor"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty

As any GOOD diesel would be.



>
>Looks like the South American PSD engine is a Cummins.
>


_______________________________________________________________
Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:06:00 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - HP specs & wishful thinking. -Reply -Reply

order teh catalog at www.performanceproducts.com or 1-800-752-6111
George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:13:43 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F -Reply

No dealer will do this under warranty. Big, cool looking, off road tires wear out your front end and can afect
alignment, brakes and other front end components. I have had seveal off road trucks and jeeps with bigger tires
than stock, up to 38 inch swampers, and almost without exception big tires cause some sort of problem, uneven tire
wear, premature tire wear, loud tire noise, wandering, and mis alignment are the most common. this is just the price
you pay for big tires and it is truly your fault for putting them on. My 99 SD has a big sticker on the front door
warning not to put on bigger tires.

George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:39:23 -0400
From: "D'Amelio, Stephen M."
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Help: Identify OHC V-6

> If you don't know the difference, why do you care ?
>
> The EPA sticker that gives timing info etc. under the hood will give you
> engine displacement ETC. From that, you should be able to extrapolate the
> "rest of the story".
>
Displacement will not tell you where your cam is located. On Fords, look at
the intake. traditionally
(with pushrods) the intake is sealed from head to head. I believe the OHC
engines have a runner
type intake. You can see "down into the V". No cam there! Plus, the valve
covers should be
huge do to the cams being housed there. Spark plugs are probably not in the
traditional
spots they are in pushrod motors either. Nor is the alternator (which sits
in the center
on a OHC ford vs. a side pulley on a pushrod v8).

> To know just to Blah Blah about it is senseless.
>
> The Oil goes here, and the Gas goes here...Step on dis pedal it goes, and
> dis pedal it stops.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________________________
> Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.msn.com
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:45:08 EDT
From: ATUMLAW aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F

In a message dated 7/15/99 1:08:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
SMDamelio cvs.com writes:


they are junk. I could hardly keep a truck on the
road with those tires. >>

They're the only tires offered that are 17" off road tires that aren't the
stock size.

VTY

Atilla
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:06:03 -0400
From: "D'Amelio, Stephen M."
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's

Sorry to be the first to disappoint you on the list Dean,
but getting an F-150 into the 14's is gonna take more than
an air filter and an exhaust. (a built 460 would help).
A stock 302 Stang was lucky to get into the 14's, I
would hate to see you throw a lot of money down
the tubes for this un-realistic goal.

Also, the 3.55:1 gears with a 5.4L a pretty good match
with stock sized tires. It's a bit of an expense to
re-gear to 4.10's, and with this engine, I don't think
you would tap any more power higher in the band.

To give you an idea, I had a 69 351 Mustang, basically stock
but I had a performance cam and some head work.
This car, on street tires, would run mid 14's and a trap speed
of 104mph. Heck, the F-150 will shut down if it
reaches 100mph anyway.

I have a 5.4L SC w/3.55:1 gears, and it's quick.
My 70 Mustang with a built 351C is fast.
There's a huge difference :)




Steve D'Amelio
Systems Administrator
CVS/Pharmacy
1 CVS Drive
Woonsocket, RI 02895
401-765-1500 x3351 FAX 401-762-4607
mailto:smdamelio cvs.com http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.cvs.com

> ----------
> From: Dean Baruffi[SMTP:dean.baruffi yale.edu]
> Reply To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 8:02 AM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am a new comer to the list. I was once on the list back in 1997 and
> have
> just re-joined.
>
> I currently have a 2000 F-150 2WD, 5.4L, Supercab, Flareside, Sport on
> order and have many mods that I will be performing once I get it. My goal
> is to have the truck run in the 14's on the 1/4 mile. It has the 3.55
> rear
> with Automatic tranny. This will be naturally aspirated (No turbo or
> supercharger).
>
> Below is my list of mods planned. If anyone has done any of these, please
> send feedback as to what product you went with and any issues on the
> install.
>
> 1.) 4.10 gears in the rear. Reid Rider sells these for the Ford 9 3/4
> inch
> rear now. Will Ford reprogram my ECU for the 4.10 gears? Will the
> Hypertech module do this for me?
>
> 2.) Cat back exhaust. 3" minimum diameter. Anyone install a Gibson on
> their
> truck?
>
> 3.) Generation II K&N filter charger system (Possibly modify it to a "ram
> air" type).
>
> 4.) Power pulleys (Crank, Atlernator, water pump)
>
> 5.) Electric cooling fans.
>
> 6.) Tranny shift kit (if available).
>
> 7.) Lower suspension (4" front, 6" back)
>
> 8.) Possibly more.
>
>
>
> Does anyone make a deep aluminum Tranny oil pan for my tranny? I think
> it's the 4R100 tranny.
>
> Has anyone tried the Hypertech programmer on a 1998 or 1999 F-150?
>
> Thanks in advance folks.
>
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:35:39 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F -Reply

Hate to disagree, but Mickey Thompson tires are great at what they are designed to do which is run off road in the
desert southwest on rocks and sand. Super durable tire which can be aired down to 3 psi or less and not slip a
bead when wheeling. People who put off-road tires on their trucks and then complain that the tire is no good
because they never off-road gotta make you wonder. I have 31x13.5x15 MT Baja's on my 66-CJ5 which is basically
stock with a full roll cage and 3.5 inch lift added. the Jeep has stock LS rear, stock 4.88 gears and a three speed,
the old dauntless 6 cylinder which still has the factory sticker on the valve cover. Still has points and a 2 barrell
carb.

Thanks mostly to the MT tires, last weekend this old jeep made a bunch of newer 4x4's look like they shouldnt even
be off road. I out climbed, out rock crawled and went places they wouldnt even try. I could do this because my MT
tires sidewalls will flex like mad on an obstacle and stay on the rim. these tires will grip anyting except mud. (MT
Baha Belted tires suck in mud) Included among my victims were a brand new Toyota TRD (for Toyota Racing
Development) with some super electronic locking rear and fancy suspension, a brand new S-10 with the vortech v-6
and LS, a full size chevy with a 350 and granny low SM 420, 4 inches of lift and 35 in tires, two jeep cherokees, a
four banger toyota and an old bronco. To be honest the Bronco was driven by a guy who wouldnt try some of the
things I did because he wanted his truck to stay nice and clean with no scratches. This truck was probably the
equal or better of my jeep with two lockers and a v-8 except for the narrow small tires on it which didnt allow it to
climb very well on dirt hills or grip rocks when rockcrawling. the bronco would have killed me in mud.

Remember you get what you pay for, in the case of these tires you get an awesome off road tire which cant fo
straight for 10 ft on a paved road.
George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:43:46 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's -Reply

Gotta agree with Steve. The 70 mustang is probably 1000 to 2000 pounds lighter thatn the new F-150 as well.
shaving 4 to 5 seconds of a 1/4 mile time is a big task requiring big mods.
George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:38:30 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty -Reply

I heard that Ford now owns cummins and that Dodge trucks will be denied the I6 B motor sometime in the future. Is
this true?
George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:29:51 -0400
From: "Freddy"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55

Hey I have just had a Windshield replaced on my 99 f150 because it was
broken when it was hit by a rock~ My question is when a Windshield is
replaced Isnt there supposed to be a wait preiod before driving the Truck?
The dealer gave me the truck a soon as it was replaced and when I got home
the rubber part that goes on top edge was coming out so I pushed it back in!
Looks like the glue had not dried yet! I thought that there was a 24 hour
wait period before one could drive the Truck

Any body have any Comments on this?

Thanks in advance!
- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 12:41 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55


> hey, i traded my 98 f-150 in for a 99. got the 4.6L v8 3.55 gears
> p27570R16 tires.
> supercab. it's a great truck, it's got awesome power too.
> anyone have any comments or advice on anything that's happened to theirs?
>
> it's a 4x2.
>
> Bill
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

________________________________________________________
NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you?
Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:30:24 -0700
From: "Rob Bryan"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 3.9L Cummins PSD Super Duty

It looks to be a 3.9L 4-cylinder with 145hp and approx 330 ft-lb of torque.
Interestingly enough, it seems as though the SD's only gas engine there is
the 4.2L V6 that we get only in the F-150. Definately not powerplants us
Americans would swap for our V10 or V8-PSD engines.

Also, it seems as though you can get a real 4-door crew cab Ranger there.

RB

> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.ford.com.br/showroom/f250/f250es.htm
>
> Looks like the South American PSD engine is a Cummins.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:41:48 -0500
From: "Sapp, Mark MK SCC"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's

I don't think that the Hypertech programmer actually exists. If you want
something better, try a Superchip, but if you want to get 14 sec. 1/4 ET's,
then buy a Lightning. Just my .02

Mark

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dean Baruffi [SMTP:dean.baruffi yale.edu]
> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 7:02 AM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's
>
> Has anyone tried the Hypertech programmer on a 1998 or 1999 F-150?
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:46:58 -0700
From: "Rob Bryan"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's

It shouldn't be THAT hard. (7.5 liters (or for that matter, 6.8L) definately
wouldn't be neccessary). And stock EFI 5L Mustangs easily ran in the 14's
(some of the stripped LX 5.0 models broke into the high 13's stock). From
what I have heard, the 260HP 5.4 will push a reg-cab 2WD F-150 to 60 in 7.5
seconds, this leads me to believe that the 1/4 mile time should be in the
high 15's (not the 20's!). So all you need to do to get into the 14's is cut
about a second off (note he said in the 14's not 14.0). I don't know how
much slower a SC 2WD would be, but it shouldn't be that much slower.
Definately go with the gears. Also, in addition to the mods listed, you'll
need headers. If that doesn't work, a blower will definately do the trick,
and probably get you deep into the 13's.

Rob Bryan

> Sorry to be the first to disappoint you on the list Dean,
> but getting an F-150 into the 14's is gonna take more than
> an air filter and an exhaust. (a built 460 would help).
> A stock 302 Stang was lucky to get into the 14's, I
> would hate to see you throw a lot of money down
> the tubes for this un-realistic goal.
>
> Also, the 3.55:1 gears with a 5.4L a pretty good match
> with stock sized tires. It's a bit of an expense to
> re-gear to 4.10's, and with this engine, I don't think
> you would tap any more power higher in the band.
>
> To give you an idea, I had a 69 351 Mustang, basically stock
> but I had a performance cam and some head work.
> This car, on street tires, would run mid 14's and a trap speed
> of 104mph. Heck, the F-150 will shut down if it
> reaches 100mph anyway.
>
> I have a 5.4L SC w/3.55:1 gears, and it's quick.
> My 70 Mustang with a built 351C is fast.
> There's a huge difference :)


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:38:26 -0700
From: "Rob Bryan"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Mod's

> 1.) 4.10 gears in the rear. Reid Rider sells these for the Ford 9 3/4 inch
> rear now. Will Ford reprogram my ECU for the 4.10 gears? Will the
> Hypertech module do this for me?

I heard that the '99 trucks use the RABS sensor (same on both RABS-only and
4WABS trucks) to drive the speedometer. If this is the case, you should only
have to change the speedo calibration if you change the diameter of the
tires. The speed of the RABS sensor IS NOT changed by altering the gearing.
But, if you do change tires and want the speedo recalibrated, do not expect
to get this done free under warantee.


> Does anyone make a deep aluminum Tranny oil pan for my tranny? I think
> it's the 4R100 tranny.

It'll have the 4R100 if it has California emissions, otherwise it will have
a 4R70W. I believe that the 4R100 pan is the same as the E4OD pan, and the
4R70W pan should be the same as an AOD-E, AOD-EW, or AOD pan.

Rob Bryan
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:52:15 EDT
From: Cop786 aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - steering wheel shaking

The shaking is similar to crossing a cattle guard. I'm not sure what speed,
but it is usually before the 2nd shift. I just had it into a dealership for
a harsh shift, but they said they didn't think that it shifted hard. I did
have the extention housing gasket replaced though.
Chris
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:55:34 -0500
From: Perry Klein
Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F

>
>They're the only tires offered that are 17" off road tires that aren't the
>stock size.

BFG has 17 inch baha's that are medium to huge 37" I think.
Very nice tires but also very expensive.

pk

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:31:42 EDT
From: ATUMLAW aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket tires on 99 F

In a message dated 7/15/99 9:07:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Klein prudhoe-bay.dowell.slb.com writes:


Very nice tires but also very expensive. >>

I forgot about those. They require a lift and are prohibitively expensive,
at least for me.

VTY

Atilla Babacan
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:44:01 PDT
From: "Scott Simpson"
Subject: FTE 97up - 5.4l and Auto

I have '99 F-250 LD SC w/5.4l/4-speed electronic O/D:

1. Why is the 5.4 in the F-250 SD rated below the LD in HP and torque?

2. What auto transmission is in the 250 LD? (4R100?)

Thanx

Scott




______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:23:37 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55

Typically, there is a 2 to 4 hour wait (depending on temperature, the higher
the temp. the shorter the wait) but I would wait at least 6 hours or better
yet, all night.

Keith

- -----Original Message-----
From: Freddy
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com ; 97up-list ford
trucks.com
Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55


>Hey I have just had a Windshield replaced on my 99 f150 because it was
>broken when it was hit by a rock~ My question is when a Windshield is
>replaced Isnt there supposed to be a wait preiod before driving the Truck?
>The dealer gave me the truck a soon as it was replaced and when I got home
>the rubber part that goes on top edge was coming out so I pushed it back
in!
>Looks like the glue had not dried yet! I thought that there was a 24 hour
>wait period before one could drive the Truck
>
> Any body have any Comments on this?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>----- Original Message -----
>From:
>To:
>Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 12:41 AM
>Subject: FTE 97up - 99 f-150 4.6 3.55
>
>
>> hey, i traded my 98 f-150 in for a 99. got the 4.6L v8 3.55 gears
>> p27570R16 tires.
>> supercab. it's a great truck, it's got awesome power too.
>> anyone have any comments or advice on anything that's happened to theirs?
>>
>> it's a 4x2.
>>
>> Bill
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>
>________________________________________________________
>NetZero - We believe in a FREE Internet. Shouldn't you?
>Get your FREE Internet Access and Email at
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.