97up-list-digest Wednesday, August 12 1998 Volume 01 : Number 180



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 97up - Any way to lower the FRONT of a SD?
Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.
FTE 97up - F450 Questions
FTE 97up - Re: Lowering the SD Front
FTE 97up - '98 F-150 5.4L probs?
Re: FTE 97up - recall?
Re: FTE 97up - F450 Questions
Re: FTE 97up - Need some advice
Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.
FTE 97up - 97 Ranger Manual
Re: FTE 97up - F450 Questions
Re: FTE 97up - '98 F-150 5.4L probs?
FTE 97up - Web Sites

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:59:59 -0400
From: Chad Royse
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Any way to lower the FRONT of a SD?

FYI, the front end already sits noticeably lower than the back end.
How high do think your truck will be? When I ordered mine, the
brochure and the web site were wrong. By their measurements, it
wouldn't have fit into my garage either. I was going to raise the
header on my garage door to compinsate. However, when I got the truck
it fit. Not, by much. But an inch is as good as a mile. I looked at
the manual, and it listed a the correct height.

Chad

Jim Cole wrote:
>
> I need like 3 inches to get it in a garage. I havent ordered it yet for
> this reason. No, I cant raise the garage :)
>
> Thanks
> -Jim
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:07:02 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.

single CD is (retail/invoice) $190/162. For comparison here is a few 1998's
I've got on the lot compared to equivalent 1999's.

F-150 S/C 4x2 XLT, 4.6L, T53 tires, two tone paint 1998 $23455/20670 1999
$24305/21401

F-150 S/C 4x4 XLT, 4.6L, T65 tires (note these are a no charge option in
1998), Trailer tow, two tone paint. 1998 $27045/23724 1999 27970/24515

F-150 S/C 4x4 XLT , 5.4L, Off Road, keyless, etc.. 1998 $29205/25560
1999 $29465/25787

1999 Advantages: 4 door supercab, ABS, more power in 5.4L small upgrades.

1998 Advantages: 1.9% financing, and a $550 dealer cash discount (most
dealers will pass this on to the customer.

Nathan Bernard
Union Auto, Inc.
Union, IA 50258


- -----Original Message-----
From: Jack
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.


>What kind of increases in base prices have you seen on the base prices for
>the F150? percentage wise.
>
>What about the single CD player?
>
>Thanks
>Jack


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:04:57 -0400
From: Neil Stahl
Subject: FTE 97up - F450 Questions

I've already ordered this truck, in fact it's probably being
manufactured right now. But my dealer hasn't been able to give me
answers I'm confident in to the following questions, and I want to know
the answers as I finish ordering a body:
1. Exactly what is the Trailer Towing package for an F450 Diesel?
Especially, does it include a receiver hitch?

2. I ordered a spare tire; seemed prudent. I got the standard fuel
tank, which is in the very back and is pretty deep. Where will the
spare tire be attached, and how much ground clearance will there be
below it? (I got a crew cab, in case that's pertinent.)

3. Is there an aftermarket engine brake yet for this engine; one that
doesn't put my warranty in any danger?

Thanks for your help.
Neil Stahl
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:31:04 EDT
From: JDavis1277 aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: Lowering the SD Front

Jim,

Are you talking 4X4? I believe the 4X2 is about 3 inches lower if that is a
compromise you can live with.

If you are talking the 4X2, the only reasonable way I know of to lower the
frame would be to cut off some of the coil springs. Perhaps a half coil or
so. Heating (weakening) the springs is also possible, but I don't recommend
it.

If you lower the front end, be sure to have a GOOD front end shop redo the
suspension geometry.

If you are talking about the solid front axle with leaf springs the
possibilities become more realistic. Longer shackles come to mind, or custom
springs, or, or...

I guess there is no chance your garage floor is dirt? Oh well!

Good luck, Butch Davis-
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:11:36 -0400
From: Kevin Fowler
Subject: FTE 97up - '98 F-150 5.4L probs?

I was just about to pull the trigger on buying a 1998 F-150 Supercab 4x4
Lariat with 5.4L V8, when I ran across a thread on the
www.f150 online. com message board complaining about a lifter/rings
engineering problem with these engines. Basically, it causes noise when
first started that gradually fades as the engine warms. There is concern
that this problem will manifest itself as serious engine problems,
probably at around 36,001 miles. Apparently, the problem has been
addressed/fixed in the 1999 engine.

It was not clear to me from that thread whether this was a chronic
problem, experienced with every 5.4L on the '98, or if its some small
percentage. Normally I see nothing but glowing reports about this
engine, so I was suprised to see this highly negative thread.

Besides this issue, I am ready to buy, so if anyone can set me straight
quickly, I and my bank account would be grateful...

Thanks,
Kevin
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:12:24 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - recall?

Ford does not post it. They do send out letters if your involved, or you
can have a dealer run your VIN to see if there are any recalls on the
vehicle.

Nathan Bernard

- -----Original Message-----
From: John Kanyan
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 11:33 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - recall?


>Does anyone know of a recall on 97 f-250 5 speed transmission?Does ford
post
>recall info anywhere?....thanks,John


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:23:12 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F450 Questions

Trailer towing consists of:
Front stabilizer bar
7 wire harness (located on back of frame where bumper would be)
Trailer brake wiring kit
HD 78 AH (750 CCA) battery (not applicable to Diesel because dual
batteries are std.)
HD 130 Amp. Alternator (gas engine only)
The class IV receiver hitch is an option separate from this.

The Spare should be tucked under the frame fairly tight and not affect
ground clearance.

Nathan Bernard
Union Auto, Inc.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Neil Stahl
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 9:29 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - F450 Questions


>I've already ordered this truck, in fact it's probably being
>manufactured right now. But my dealer hasn't been able to give me
>answers I'm confident in to the following questions, and I want to know
>the answers as I finish ordering a body:
>1. Exactly what is the Trailer Towing package for an F450 Diesel?
>Especially, does it include a receiver hitch?
>
>2. I ordered a spare tire; seemed prudent. I got the standard fuel
>tank, which is in the very back and is pretty deep. Where will the
>spare tire be attached, and how much ground clearance will there be
>below it? (I got a crew cab, in case that's pertinent.)
>
>3. Is there an aftermarket engine brake yet for this engine; one that
>doesn't put my warranty in any danger?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Neil Stahl


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:14:15 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Need some advice

I'd test drive both and see which one you like driving better. Both trucks
have advantages and disadvantages over the other, so Its really down to
which one you like better.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: larryboz
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, August 07, 1998 10:02 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Need some advice


>Hey everyone,
>
>I am new to the list and am possibly going to buy a new Ford F-150 or a
>F-250 Super duty. My main questions are that I think the F-250 might be
>more than I need but I have always been one to buy the best I can for my
>money. I have done some pricing around and I can get a Super duty for
>almost the same price I can get a F-150 for so my questions are as follows.
>Can you order a super duty with 3.73 gears with the 5.4 5-speed? I really
>want a 5-speed but do not need the 4.10 gears that come with the superduty.
>Since I want a 5-speed I am not sure the F-150 will do. See I want to lift
>the truck and put 35" tires on it and since I want the 5-speed I would have
>to order a 4.6 in the F-150 and I am not sure how this small motor will
>handle the bigger tires, what do you guys think? Should I just say to hell
>with the 5-speed and order a F-150 with the new 5.4 for '99? I need to
have
>4 wheel drive, supercab. Let me know your thoughts. Oh I forgot to tell
>you that I currently have a '96 1/2 ton Dodge Club Cab and I have had a lot
>of trouble like the steering column going out leaking oil and transmission
>fluid and brakes failing at 30K highway miles so to say I am not going to
>buy a Dodge again. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
>
>
>Larry
>larryboz kc-primary.net


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:53:34 -0500
From: "Jack B"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.

Thanks again Nathan!

Just received my priced DORA from my dealer this morning.
Still showing a DETA of 09/07.

For those wondering how mine priced out here goes: (Price Level 915)

1999 XLT SC 139"wb Flareside, captains chair, 4.6L V-8, automatic, P255 OWL
tires, 3.55 LTD slip, floor mats, sliding rear window, single CD, keyless
entry, FDAF assessment?, dest/delv.

Total Invoice: 23,327
Total Retail: 26,570

What is FDAF assessment?

- -----Original Message-----
From: Union Auto
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 08:11
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.


>single CD is (retail/invoice) $190/162. For comparison here is a few
1998's
>I've got on the lot compared to equivalent 1999's.
>
>F-150 S/C 4x2 XLT, 4.6L, T53 tires, two tone paint 1998 $23455/20670 1999
>$24305/21401
>
>F-150 S/C 4x4 XLT, 4.6L, T65 tires (note these are a no charge option in
>1998), Trailer tow, two tone paint. 1998 $27045/23724 1999 27970/24515
>
>F-150 S/C 4x4 XLT , 5.4L, Off Road, keyless, etc.. 1998 $29205/25560
>1999 $29465/25787
>
>1999 Advantages: 4 door supercab, ABS, more power in 5.4L small upgrades.
>
>1998 Advantages: 1.9% financing, and a $550 dealer cash discount (most
>dealers will pass this on to the customer.
>
>Nathan Bernard
>Union Auto, Inc.
>Union, IA 50258
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Jack
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 12:47 PM
>Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 1999 F-150 Prices are in.
>
>
>>What kind of increases in base prices have you seen on the base prices for
>>the F150? percentage wise.
>>
>>What about the single CD player?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Jack
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:01:23 -0400
From: "Miller, Eric M."
Subject: FTE 97up - 97 Ranger Manual

>>Also, anyone know where I can get a manual for this truck? The
local
>>stores don't carry the '97s yet.

Eddie,

Try this for a manual:
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=1O8Z143P4N&
mscssid=59RWRX006HS12NMT00C7JGTNXW5VDRJR&isbn=080198968X

(the link looks ugly, but it takes you right to the manual)

Eric
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:53:02 -0500
From: daryl.rue juno.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F450 Questions

What about a 7 pin connector like on the f150's and explorers used to
connect a trailer? I did not get one and it really confused me why they
would not make do it like the others. (I did not order a bumber or
reciever).

Daryl

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:23:12 -0500 "Union Auto"
writes:
>Trailer towing consists of:
> Front stabilizer bar
> 7 wire harness (located on back of frame where bumper would
>be)
> Trailer brake wiring kit
> HD 78 AH (750 CCA) battery (not applicable to Diesel because
>dual
>batteries are std.)
> HD 130 Amp. Alternator (gas engine only)
>The class IV receiver hitch is an option separate from this.
>
>The Spare should be tucked under the frame fairly tight and not affect
>ground clearance.
>
>Nathan Bernard
>Union Auto, Inc.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Neil Stahl
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Tuesday, August 11, 1998 9:29 AM
>Subject: FTE 97up - F450 Questions
>
>
>>I've already ordered this truck, in fact it's probably being
>>manufactured right now. But my dealer hasn't been able to give me
>>answers I'm confident in to the following questions, and I want to
>know
>>the answers as I finish ordering a body:
>>1. Exactly what is the Trailer Towing package for an F450 Diesel?
>>Especially, does it include a receiver hitch?
>>
>>2. I ordered a spare tire; seemed prudent. I got the standard fuel
>>tank, which is in the very back and is pretty deep. Where will the
>>spare tire be attached, and how much ground clearance will there be
>>below it? (I got a crew cab, in case that's pertinent.)
>>
>>3. Is there an aftermarket engine brake yet for this engine; one
>that
>>doesn't put my warranty in any danger?
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>Neil Stahl
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

_____________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:28:10 EDT
From: DMonte4120 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - '98 F-150 5.4L probs?

Hello.....

I have the 5.4 in a 98 F-150 with about 2500 miles so not a lot of time yet
has passed but so far I am not aware of any problem. Suggestion....ask your
dealer if he is aware of any major problem with the engine and try to see what
you can find on the internet. You will always find someone who has had a
problem with any truck, engine, trans, etc. as none have a perfect track
record, you just have to hope you don't get a bad one.

Best regards,

Don
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.