97up-list-digest Thursday, April 15 1999 Volume 02 : Number 095



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - Wonderful Truck
Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question
FTE 97up - Noticed this too
Re: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats
RE: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats
Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question
FTE 97up - CB/SSB Radio noise in F250 PSD?
Re: FTE 97up - Re: '99 PSD ticking
FTE 97up - Exhaust chrome tips for PSD.
RE: FTE 97up - CB/SSB Radio noise in F250 PSD?
Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question -Reply
Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question Undercoated axles and the like...
Re: FTE 97up - Fan Supply power
Re: FTE 97up - Exhaust chrome tips for PSD.
FTE 97up - 5.4 L Idle
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
RE: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
FTE 97up - 99.5 PSD 250 HP?
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - CB/SSB Radio noise in F250 PSD?
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
FTE 97up - End of the Thread
Re: FTE 97up - End of the Thread
Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:20:05 -0600
From: "Matus, Scott A"
Subject: FTE 97up - Wonderful Truck

With all that you have gone through to get this truck I'm happy it is
everything that you had hoped.
Now you can start the fun by customizing the hell out of your truck to suite
your tastes.

Enjoy, we all know how you feel.

Scott.


- --------- Original message ----------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:49:15 -0500
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: FTE 97up - Isn't This Truck Wonderful!

After waiting seven months, I find it still all worth it. Even after
finding out just today from Nathan that my truck is two inches
shorter in the back than earlier models, I'm still the tallest in the
parking lot at work. And driving through the small towns between
work and home, it always catching someone's eye. I love the interior
layout and the dip in the side windows which makes for great viewing.
I know Chevy lovers hate Ford trucks - but how could anyone not
love this truck!

One week of ownership completed,

Charles.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:19:04 -0400
From: "John Luft"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question

I asked my dealer the same thing - why is there so much rust on the front
axle? Their response was that Ford is no longer undercoating the trucks to
which I replied that the rear pumpkin an axle had been painted. He had no
reply. Said all the other trucks on his lot were in the same condition and
that it shouldn't cause a problem. Am I missing something???

>>> "Keith Veren" 04/09/99 08:44PM >>>
Just a quick question to everyone with a '99 F-250 and/or 350 Super/Duty
4X4:

Did your truck's front axle (axle tubes and pumpkin) and front hubs/rotors
(backside) come from the factory rust and/or cheaply painted which then
quick became rust???

I have talked to many people at my dealership (mechanics) who say that
they
notice that just about all the axles (but especially the front ones from
Dana) come rusty from the factory. On my F-350, the rear axle (Ford
Corporate) is fairly well painted; however, the the paint seems to be only
one thin layer and there is no evidence of primer. Is it just me, or does
everyone buying a new 30K truck seem to agree that one should get
rust-free
metal on all the parts??

Keith

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:24:14 -0600
From: "Matus, Scott A"
Subject: FTE 97up - Noticed this too

I posted this as being a problem about a month ago. I agree that the
passenger (especially kids) could destroy this. What a poor engineering
snafu.

We can always try to lengthen the thing and move it to a more concealed
location

Scott.

- ------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:12:32 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Passenger-Side Air-duct Wiring

I have a '99 SuperDuty F-350 / XLT / SuperCab / V-10 / 4X4 / Longbed / etc.
and noticed that on the below the glovebox, when looking up from the
passenger-side floorboard, a small wiring harness that goes from under the
glovebox to what looks like an air duct is kind of hanging down low where a
passenger's foot may inadvertently catch it. Does anyone else notice
this?? I was going to try to move it, but there is not a whole lot of slack
in it and it will not reach the nearest point that has a clip that looks
like it was designed to hold it.


Keith
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:24:02 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats

The Floor mats from the factory are made to fit well and have the eye for
the hook on the drivers side, but don't say F-Series. Ford Accesories has a
universal fit mat that doesn't fit well, and two mats that do. They have a
moulded vinyl that says F-Series and holds durt so it doesn't get to the
carpet and also a Carpeted mat that says F-Series. There is also another
vinyl mat coming out, but I haven't seen it yet. Also make sure you don't
get the F-150 mats for a SD (they don't fit at all)

Nathan Bernard

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Abraham
To:
Cc: 'Strukel, Mike'
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats


> Must be another cost reduction for my front mat don't say F-series; they
> do have the "eye" for the hook. I know these are the real ones that were
> delivered with my new Lariat, because I was there to unpack it after just
> coming off of the tractor trailer truck. The color match is perfect.
>
> David Moore wrote:
>
> >
> > It should on the drivers and passenger side mats say "F-Series" and for
the
> > drivers side there should
> > be an eye-let for the mat hook. The color (mine is tan) should match
> > wonderfully as does mine.
> >
> > david
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
> > [mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Strukel, Mike
> > Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 10:54 AM
> > To: '97up-list ford-trucks.com'
> > Subject: FTE 97up - RE: FTE 97up- Superduty Floor mats -was Body side
> > trim
> >
> > Actually, speaking of floor mats, I picked up a set of Ford floor mats
for
> > my SD last night. I figured that the Ford mats made specifically for
that
> > truck would fit real nice.
> > That sure was not the case. The mats fit terrible! It covered
about
> > 2/3 of the area and left part exposed. The color (Gray) was also a
> > different shade and did not match. Needless to say, I wil be
returning
> > these tonight and go look for an aftermarket set.
> >
> > Has anyone found a floor mat that fits well?
> >
> > Mike Strukel
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Charles Abraham [SMTP:abrahamc agcs.com]
> > > Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 9:14 AM
> > > To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> > > Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Body side trim
> > >
> > > I just assumed that it was another cost reduction on 99.5s. I
mentioned it
> > > to
> > > my dealer and he wasn't aware of it (or the removal of the cats or
> > > passenger
> > > seat lumbar support or raised white letters on spare). There are
actually
> > > two
> > > pieces missing, the other one is the short little stub just after the
rear
> > > door.
> > >
> > > To tell you the truth, my super cab short box actually looks better
this
> > > way,
> > > more symmetrical. But given a choice, I would preferred to have the
extra
> > > protection of the missing bodyside moldings.
> > >
> > > One thing I got that I didn't expect was rear floor mats. According to
the
> > > Ford brochure, only the crew cab comes with them.
> > >
> > > Charles, of northern Illinois.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Strukel, Mike" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Does anyone know why some of the Superduties come with the trim
piece in
> > > > front of wheel well on the box and some do not? Mine did not come
with
> > > > this piece, but I noticed that most I see have it. Any ideas?
> > > >
> > > > Mike Strukel
> > > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > >
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:36:05 -0500
From: "Strukel, Mike"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats

Nathan,
Would you happen to know the part number of the mats that fit? The ones I
got are the ones that say F-SERIES on them. These have the eye for the
hook, but do not fit very well. I am going back to the dealer to return
these today.

Mike Strukel

> -----Original Message-----
> From:Union Auto [SMTP:unionaut adiis.net]
> Sent:Wednesday, April 14, 1999 8:24 AM
> To:97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject:Re: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats
>
> The Floor mats from the factory are made to fit well and have the eye for
> the hook on the drivers side, but don't say F-Series. Ford Accesories has
> a
> universal fit mat that doesn't fit well, and two mats that do. They have
> a
> moulded vinyl that says F-Series and holds durt so it doesn't get to the
> carpet and also a Carpeted mat that says F-Series. There is also another
> vinyl mat coming out, but I haven't seen it yet. Also make sure you don't
> get the F-150 mats for a SD (they don't fit at all)
>
> Nathan Bernard
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Charles Abraham
> To:
> Cc: 'Strukel, Mike'
> Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 12:11 PM
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Superduty Floor mats
>
>
> > Must be another cost reduction for my front mat don't say F-series; they
> > do have the "eye" for the hook. I know these are the real ones that were
> > delivered with my new Lariat, because I was there to unpack it after
> just
> > coming off of the tractor trailer truck. The color match is perfect.
> >
> > David Moore wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > It should on the drivers and passenger side mats say "F-Series" and
> for
> the
> > > drivers side there should
> > > be an eye-let for the mat hook. The color (mine is tan) should match
> > > wonderfully as does mine.
> > >
> > > david
> > >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
> > > [mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Strukel, Mike
> > > Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 10:54 AM
> > > To: '97up-list ford-trucks.com'
> > > Subject: FTE 97up - RE: FTE 97up- Superduty Floor mats -was Body side
> > > trim
> > >
> > > Actually, speaking of floor mats, I picked up a set of Ford floor
> mats
> for
> > > my SD last night. I figured that the Ford mats made specifically
> for
> that
> > > truck would fit real nice.
> > > That sure was not the case. The mats fit terrible! It covered
> about
> > > 2/3 of the area and left part exposed. The color (Gray) was also a
> > > different shade and did not match. Needless to say, I wil be
> returning
> > > these tonight and go look for an aftermarket set.
> > >
> > > Has anyone found a floor mat that fits well?
> > >
> > > Mike Strukel
> > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: Charles Abraham [SMTP:abrahamc agcs.com]
> > > > Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 1999 9:14 AM
> > > > To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> > > > Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Body side trim
> > > >
> > > > I just assumed that it was another cost reduction on 99.5s. I
> mentioned it
> > > > to
> > > > my dealer and he wasn't aware of it (or the removal of the cats or
> > > > passenger
> > > > seat lumbar support or raised white letters on spare). There are
> actually
> > > > two
> > > > pieces missing, the other one is the short little stub just after
> the
> rear
> > > > door.
> > > >
> > > > To tell you the truth, my super cab short box actually looks better
> this
> > > > way,
> > > > more symmetrical. But given a choice, I would preferred to have the
> extra
> > > > protection of the missing bodyside moldings.
> > > >
> > > > One thing I got that I didn't expect was rear floor mats. According
> to
> the
> > > > Ford brochure, only the crew cab comes with them.
> > > >
> > > > Charles, of northern Illinois.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Strukel, Mike" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Does anyone know why some of the Superduties come with the trim
> piece in
> > > > > front of wheel well on the box and some do not? Mine did not
> come
> with
> > > > > this piece, but I noticed that most I see have it. Any ideas?
> > > > >
> > > > > Mike Strukel
> > > > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > > >
> > > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > >
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:08:24 -0500
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question

John,

I swear I got my truck right off the delivery truck last week and the front axle

is black and completely rust free! In fact, I plan to add some rust paint this
weekend to keep it that way - I like how it looks.

Charles.

John Luft wrote:

> I asked my dealer the same thing - why is there so much rust on the front
> axle? Their response was that Ford is no longer undercoating the trucks to
> which I replied that the rear pumpkin an axle had been painted. He had no
> reply. Said all the other trucks on his lot were in the same condition and
> that it shouldn't cause a problem. Am I missing something???
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:59:55 -0400
From: "Philip Kubat"
Subject: FTE 97up - CB/SSB Radio noise in F250 PSD?

I own a 99 F250 SC with a Powerstroke diesel engine. I am picking up a
"running" noise that changes slightly with RPM, mostly on SSB. It is not
whine, but rather a series of quick clicks that run together. The noise
seems to be being picked up by the antenna, if I disconnect the antenna from
the rear of the radio the noise stops. I have wired cb radio directly to the
battery with 10 gauge wire and a filter (did this prior to checking the
antenna). The power cable is not lead with any other wiring. I run a Wilson
5000 mag mount in the center of the roof, the coax does through the right
rear door, hooked behind the shoulder belt, along the floor, under the mats
to center hump (Its place over everything, not ran permanently). Being its
a diesel I know its not ignition, but what could it be (injectors,
computer)? Does any one else have this problem? If not what's different in
your setup? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks for the help.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:18:06 EDT
From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: '99 PSD ticking

Your dealers mechanic is correct in one regard, intermittants are a major
repair pain in the lower 40. You can spend inordinate amounts of time chasing
what-ifs and still not be sure you really fixed the problem. This will almost
always result in irate custromers with continual callbacks until and unless
he gets lucky or the problem deteriorates to a constant condition. This is
true in any technical area, mechanical, electronic, software or hardware.
BUT, the service guy did hear it so now he knows that you are not a deisel
newbie worried about normal noises. The advice to document and have the
service guy sign it is well taken. If this matures into a serious problem
later you don't want Ford or anyone else kicking in an abuse clause in the
warrenty. Get the fact that you were aware of the noise, reported it to the
dealer early and were advised to keep driving it until it got to be more
frequent documented on the trucks repair history. IT is purely a CYA maneuver
for your own good and the dealers service folks should understand that.

JOhn G
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:30:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Foye
Subject: FTE 97up - Exhaust chrome tips for PSD.

Hey Ford Listers,

Does anybody have any resources as to who has exhaust
tips, the chrome ones, for the big PSD exhaust? I'm
just looking at getting something that slips over the
existing exhaust so, that I don't have to cut it.

Thanks,

Chris

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:36:04 -0500
From: "Chris Patrick"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - CB/SSB Radio noise in F250 PSD?

not a help, BUT my el-cheap-o CB is wired directly to the battery link under
the hood, fused, and grounded well. I use some way kewl dual trucker
antennas (banyan, i think) located just behind the cab on the bed rail...
and i get the same thing. I have properly set SWR, and didnt effect.
furthermore, whenever i operate power accessories such as door locks,
windows, fan motor, or electric trailer brakes, i get clicks and whirrs.
ive regrounded several times, to no avail.

I recently bought a motorola Zero ground plane antenna which clips on the
window, and grounds to the CB.. made no difference. when i switch the rig
from my truck to my jeep (via quick disconects) the problem goes away...


>
> I own a 99 F250 SC with a Powerstroke diesel engine. I am picking up a
> "running" noise that changes slightly with RPM, mostly on
> SSB. It is not
> whine, but rather a series of quick clicks that run together.
> The noise
> seems to be being picked up by the antenna, if I disconnect
> the antenna from
> the rear of the radio the noise stops. I have wired cb radio
> directly to the
> battery with 10 gauge wire and a filter (did this prior to
> checking the
> antenna). The power cable is not lead with any other wiring.
> I run a Wilson
> 5000 mag mount in the center of the roof, the coax does
> through the right
> rear door, hooked behind the shoulder belt, along the floor,
> under the mats
> to center hump (Its place over everything, not ran
> permanently). Being its
> a diesel I know its not ignition, but what could it be (injectors,
> computer)? Does any one else have this problem? If not
> what's different in
> your setup? Any ideas on how to fix it?
>
> Thanks for the help.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:06:43 -0400
From: GEORGE CROLL
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question -Reply

A quick note on the front and rear axles used on super duty F-250 and F-350 trucks.

The standard rear axle on single rear wheel F-250 and F-350 super duty trucks is a Ford 10.25 axle. My guess is
that it is manufactured in a different facility than the Dana 50 front axle which is standard on the F-250. At least one
other post indicated that the Dana axles were often rusty. I think it might be that the rear ford 10.25 is painted
reasonably well and the front dana 50 is not properly painted. This is the case with my truck anyway.

BTW my 1966 cj5 with dana 27 front and dana 44 rear axles has been rusting for 35 years or so on the outside
without any adverse affects that I can see. I have no problems disassembling or working on the axle despite the
rust on the housing and covers. I usually just smear grease over the bolt heads and any threads which show when
I am finished and whle its is messy and collects dirt the parts come apart easily every time after a quick brush off
with solvent.
George Croll
EPA-OAR-ARD
(202)564-0162
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:57:37 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question Undercoated axles and the like...

With great respect to Nathan , but lets face
it, the basic premise for a car dealer is to move as many units as that lot
can get to flow from truck trailors through the front door. Even if Ford
wasn't 'undercoating' these vehicles anymore
like he was just looking for a quick excuse> they need to attempt to find
the answers to questions you can't get answered by them. I am retired, but
I still build computers on the side. If someone asks me for technical help,
and I can't find an answer, then I politely say, I'll get back to you on it.
And I go and I search for the answer, no I may not make that little tidbit
my priority for the next day or two because other business is more pressing,
but I don't forget. If I tell them I'll get the answer then I get it. In
my opinion, I think that if you polled what the general public expects from
a car dealer, 90 percent would expect service above and beyond anything else
other than the sell of the unit itself. If the dealer can't explain why his
front axles are being delivered with rust on them, then he needs to contact
FORD directly and say something like, "Hey, what gives, I've got customer
concerns with the way you guys are delivering these trucks with rusty front
axles. If we're not undercoating these things anymore, why are the rears
still coming to me painted?"...get the answer and come back to you with
something definite. And I believe, if the guy he gets ahold of can't answer
the question, then ask him to get the answer or give you a direct line to
someone who can. That is the one thing that separates alot of today's
business from the way things used to be; SERVICE ABOVE AND BEYOND, GOING
THE EXTRA MILE. Too many, not all but too many, businesses are trying to
scrunch in time and cost to squeeze out the profit margin these days.
"Here's your product, take it, now go on, git!" They have your money, they
want nothing more to do with you unless you come bearing gifts
this is in the form of more money>. Demand customer service from your
dealership . You're paying a
lot of money for something that is not intended as a throw away item. And
the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. If I go to a dealer
and ask about V-10's and V-8's and PSD 's there oughta
be a fellow there that can answer all my questions, or point me to the
source that can
head using the tow hook for a step...LOL...man, that still cracks me up!>.

A bit of rambling from a guy too young to be retired, but just my 2 cents on
rusty front axles and no real explanation,

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:15:31 -0500
From: "Jaeger & Daly & College Planners Inc."
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Fan Supply power

Going on Vacation for two weeks... have tryed twice to be removed from list
by following the directions... IF anyone knows how I can call the list
manager let me know... I do not want to come back after two weeks and have
hundreds of messages to sift through

Thanks in advance.

Harold.


- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 10:00 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Fan Supply power


> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:38:22 -0600, you wrote:
>
> :I agree with the warning labels, but differ about the wiring.
> :
> :I think that most cars that arrive from the factory have the fan on a
> :circuit that is Hot at all times. My cars have never had a problem of
the
> :battery running dead.
> :
> :You will note that the under hood temperatures will rise on a hot summer
> :day. After shutting down an engine the fan must be allowed to run to
cool
> :the engine compartment. You may experiencing starting problems with high
> :under hood temps. My Electric fans on my vehicles never ran more than 3
to
> :5 minutes after engine shutdown. I personally would wire the electric
fan
> :to a Hot at all times circuit. If you find it running too long than the
> :thermostat is set at the wrong temp.
> :
> :my 2 cents.
> :
> :Scott.
> :============
> :
> I believe this would be the best way, too. My old car with an
> electric fan operated this way, and it never caused a problem.
>
> Later,
> Alan
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:56:38 EDT
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Exhaust chrome tips for PSD.

In a message dated 99-04-14 11:32:58 EDT, you write:


i just got my 2nd mag. issue from Power Stroke Registry ( i recommend it
35.00per yr.) , there is a company in it that advertises them , Geno's
Garage, for $35.00 (3.5 dia. 11.5 long in stainless, gives you a extra 5 in
it says)
800-755-1715

Ross Smith
99 F250SD PSD/SC/4x4


Date:99-04-14 11:32:58 EDT
From:cfoye yahoo.com (Chris Foye)
Sender:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Reply-to:97up-list ford-trucks.com
To:97up-list ford-trucks.com

Hey Ford Listers,

Does anybody have any resources as to who has exhaust
tips, the chrome ones, for the big PSD exhaust? I'm
just looking at getting something that slips over the
existing exhaust so, that I don't have to cut it.

Thanks,

Chris

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


----------------------- Headers --------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from rly-ya04.mx.aol.com (rly-ya04.mail.aol.com [172.18.144.196])
by air-ya01.mail.aol.com (v59.4) with SMTP; Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:32:58 -0400
Received: from ford-trucks.com (ford-trucks.com [192.41.63.203])
by rly-ya04.mx.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)
with ESMTP id LAA18451;
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:32:42 -0400 (EDT)
Received: (fordtruc localhost) by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id LAA28690; Wed,
14 Apr 1999 11:28:24 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from web601.yahoomail.com (web136.yahoomail.com [205.180.60.12])
by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id LAA28678; Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:28:20 -0400 (EDT)
X-Authentication-Warning: ford-trucks.com: Host web136.yahoomail.com
[205.180.60.12] claimed to be web601.yahoomail.com
Message-ID:
Received: from [134.177.78.85] by web136.yahoomail.com; Wed, 14 Apr 1999
08:30:13 PDT
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:30:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Foye
Subject: FTE 97up - Exhaust chrome tips for PSD.
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Sender: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com

>>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:37:31 -0500
From: greg_lewis metro.nashville.org
Subject: FTE 97up - 5.4 L Idle

My 99 E-350 Super Duty XLT 15-passenger has a 5.4L and it idles and runs
smooth as silk. Now approaching 13,000 miles with 17 MGP on open road (9100
lbs). Could not be more pleased.



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:50:37 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

"John W. Barron" wrote:
>
> My son and I each have a 1999 Ranger. We both received the Recall
> Notice from Ford. The letter states that parts would not be available
> until mid-May.
> However, it was suggested that the customer visit their dealer for
> inspection prior to the parts arriving - sort of implying that you could
> be told that your
> particular Cruise Control cable was not involved.
>
> My son took his truck in for an oil change, and spoke to the customer
> rep. at the entrance. "While the truck is here, you might as well take a
> look at it."
> When the service was completed, and he drove off, he learned that the
> Cruise Control no longer worked. He went back to the dealer. He was
> told that the process to keep him (customers) from re-connecting their
> control consisted in CUTTING THE CABLE!!!! They cut the cable without
> his permission, without his knowledge, and did not tell him that they
> had done it. " You are the first person who noticed that we had done
> that!"
>
> So, Fort Ranger, Explorer, etc. owners, it you like your cruise control,
> don't go in for the friendly inspection until you are sure that
> replacement parts are in.
> You'll be without the control until then.
>
> --
> John W. Barron
> j.w.barron worldnet.att.net
> PCS Mobile Phone: 919-272-2384
>
> Avoyelles Parish (LA) Web Page:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.mindspring.com/~jwbarron/avoyeles.htm
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

John,

What an upsetting post. Your Son was warned By Ford to not
use your Cruise Control. He could endanger not only himself
but other innocent people by using the cruise control. You
and him are obviously ignorant of the dangers involved.
IMHO you both are a menace. I apologize to the rest of the
list for this post, but I could not let this issue rest
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:22:53 -0500
From: "Chris Patrick"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

Jean Marc, I can not believe your ignorance. ... the only menace is YOU in
your irresponsible post.First, if there were a DANGER, Ford would issue a
mandatory recall... NOT a friendly
notice for inspection....as they did with the whole lug nut issue.

Second the whole point of the the original post is that the dealer disabled
cruise control by cutting a wire..... without the owners permission. The
poster did not mention that he reconnected it, but that he went back to the
dealer and complained.

My God, if you read roadsigns with as much lack of understanding as you did
his post, YOU are the menace. I hope not to see you on the road.

My apology to the rest of the list... but I hate it when someone resorts to
flaming on a listserve, especially when they dont even understand the
original post.



> John,
>
> What an
> upsetting post. Your Son was warned By Ford to not
> use your Cruise Control. He could endanger not only himself
> but other innocent people by using the cruise control. You
> and him are obviously ignorant of the dangers involved.
> IMHO you both are a menace. I apologize to the rest of the
> list for this post, but I could not let this issue rest





> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Jean
> Marc Chartier
> Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 12:51 PM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION
>
>
> "John W. Barron" wrote:
> >
> > My son and I each have a 1999 Ranger. We both received the Recall
> > Notice from Ford. The letter states that parts would not
> be available
> > until mid-May.
> > However, it was suggested that the customer visit their dealer for
> > inspection prior to the parts arriving - sort of implying
> that you could
> > be told that your
> > particular Cruise Control cable was not involved.
> >
> > My son took his truck in for an oil change, and spoke to
> the customer
> > rep. at the entrance. "While the truck is here, you might
> as well take a
> > look at it."
> > When the service was completed, and he drove off, he
> learned that the
> > Cruise Control no longer worked. He went back to the dealer. He was
> > told that the process to keep him (customers) from
> re-connecting their
> > control consisted in CUTTING THE CABLE!!!! They cut the
> cable without
> > his permission, without his knowledge, and did not tell him
> that they
> > had done it. " You are the first person who noticed that we had done
> > that!"
> >
> > So, Fort Ranger, Explorer, etc. owners, it you like your
> cruise control,
> > don't go in for the friendly inspection until you are sure that
> > replacement parts are in.
> > You'll be without the control until then.
> >
> > --
> > John W. Barron
> > j.w.barron worldnet.att.net
> > PCS Mobile Phone: 919-272-2384
> >

>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:31:15 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

FWIW, I didn't read menace into what he wrote about his son noticing the
cruise that was cut by the dealer without his permission. Ford notices a
problem, but can't fix it, because they don't have the parts, not because
the customer isn't willing to come in and get it fixed. Instead of being
told politely not to use the cruise because it was affected, or asking to
cut the cable, the dealership took it upon themselves to disable the system
completely without consulting the owner of the vehicle. THAT FOR WHATEVER
REASON IS SABOTAGE!!!! I understand that it was for a 'good' cause, but
then what Ford should be doing is notifying customers to bring in their
vehicles to have the cruise disabled. MOST of these recalls are 'potential'
problems, not eminant ones. NO, I don't want my cruise going crazy and
taking control from me, but I don't need anyone taking my vehicle's
capability and deciding whats acceptable without my permission either. That
would be like me deciding that in bad weather your truck's big tires are
potential hydroplaning hazards, so I would just stick a knife in them

dictating to you what I could simply advise you of as a hazard>. I don't
want to kill anyone on the road, but if a Ford dealership pulled that stunt
on my NEW TRUCK, I would be madder than . And
that in and of itself doesn't make me a menace, but it does mean I've been
sabotaged by my dealership. If we really want to save all the
mothers,sisters, and children we haven't maimed and killed by out of control
cars, then lets just go back about a hundred years and go back to horse and
buggy days, but then horses back then were unpredictable too. And maybe
just maybe, if the dealership would have been up front with the service the
boy wouldn't have had a need to see if the cruise still worked.

Personally, after the recall notice I would have avoided using it until the
parts came in. Obviously they used it until the notice came in and then had
the dealer check to see if their vehicle was affected, the dealer is at
fault, not the customer.

My 2 cents worth,
C.K.

Oh and one last thing! If you have an affected vehicle, use some common
sense, avoid using your cruise control, and while you're at it, avoid
getting your vehicle serviced by a dealership you can't trust to level with
you!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:04:16 -0500
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: FTE 97up - 99.5 PSD 250 HP?

Just got wind on the Ford Diesel site that the 99.5 PSD got
a boost in horse power, from 235 to 250! Can this be true?
The engine sticker is now said to state 250 HP.

I'll have to check mine when I get home.

Charles.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:21:44 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

My only comment would be to say that you could be bordering on having flamed
Jean Marc back. I don't want to call anyone here names, I want to use this
list to get as much information about my next vehicle or even my current
vehicle as I can. I would simply end this by, we are all entitled to our
opinions, we simply need to remember the rules of the list, and use some
tact when expressing them .

What I have gleaned from this situation though, is that if I don't know my
service manager or the technicians working on my car at a
dealership, I can't trust them to be upfront and honest with me. This is a
sad affair, the owner of that dealership needs to pull in the reigns on his
troops and instruct them on true customer service. Honesty is a major part
of that equation.

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:47:25 EDT
From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - CB/SSB Radio noise in F250 PSD?

Think about this a bit and there is a limited number of sources on a PSD.
Where are the electronics/electrics on the beast,

Alternator usually a whine
That leaves the fuel injectors or the injection pump or possibly the primary
fuel pump if it's electric. It could even be the chip or related circuitry
and reflecting the sample rate. If you get serious about this, get an
electronics guy to set up a scope to a mike or the speaker and try to count
the frequency at a given rpm. That should give you a clue if it''s directly
connected to the engine rpm (like 1 per rev or 8 per rev). It won't solve
everything but it will tell you where to start looking and what not to worry
about.

John G
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:44:59 -0700
From: "Michael D. Sheridan"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

> My apology to the rest of the list... but I hate it when someone resorts to
> flaming on a listserve, especially when they dont even understand the
> original post.

There is no need to apologize. At least one of us on the
list got good information from the original post about
the recall on the CC.

Michael
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 18:59:32 -0700
From: JJ Thomas
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

I disagree. Any competent driver would know how to deal with a stuck
cruise control. I do not think the determination of a driver competency
belongs to the dealer, or their mechanics. The dealer was wrong to cut the
cable, and was dishonest for not telling the owner.

- -Julian

At 13:50 04/14/99 -0400, you wrote (and I edited for brevity):
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>John,
>
>What an upsetting post. Your Son was warned By Ford to not
>use your Cruise Control. He could endanger not only himself
>but other innocent people by using the cruise control. You
>and him are obviously ignorant of the dangers involved.
>IMHO you both are a menace. I apologize to the rest of the
>list for this post, but I could not let this issue rest
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:04:15 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

"C. K. Hartline" wrote:
>
> FWIW, I didn't read menace into what he wrote about his son noticing the
> cruise that was cut by the dealer without his permission. Ford notices a
> problem, but can't fix it, because they don't have the parts, not because
> the customer isn't willing to come in and get it fixed. Instead of being
> told politely not to use the cruise because it was affected, or asking to
> cut the cable, the dealership took it upon themselves to disable the system
> completely without consulting the owner of the vehicle. THAT FOR WHATEVER
> REASON IS SABOTAGE!!!! I understand that it was for a 'good' cause, but
> then what Ford should be doing is notifying customers to bring in their
> vehicles to have the cruise disabled. MOST of these recalls are 'potential'
> problems, not eminant ones. NO, I don't want my cruise going crazy and
> taking control from me, but I don't need anyone taking my vehicle's
> capability and deciding whats acceptable without my permission either. That
> would be like me deciding that in bad weather your truck's big tires are
> potential hydroplaning hazards, so I would just stick a knife in them
>
> dictating to you what I could simply advise you of as a hazard>. I don't
> want to kill anyone on the road, but if a Ford dealership pulled that stunt
> on my NEW TRUCK, I would be madder than . And
> that in and of itself doesn't make me a menace, but it does mean I've been
> sabotaged by my dealership. If we really want to save all the
> mothers,sisters, and children we haven't maimed and killed by out of control
> cars, then lets just go back about a hundred years and go back to horse and
> buggy days, but then horses back then were unpredictable too. And maybe
> just maybe, if the dealership would have been up front with the service the
> boy wouldn't have had a need to see if the cruise still worked.
>
> Personally, after the recall notice I would have avoided using it until the
> parts came in. Obviously they used it until the notice came in and then had
> the dealer check to see if their vehicle was affected, the dealer is at
> fault, not the customer.
>
> My 2 cents worth,
> C.K.
>
> Oh and one last thing! If you have an affected vehicle, use some common
> sense, avoid using your cruise control, and while you're at it, avoid
> getting your vehicle serviced by a dealership you can't trust to level with
> you!!
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

C.K.

Did you get a letter from Ford? Do you know of the
contents of this letter? I am not in disagreement about the
dealer's actions. I am disgusted that some ignorant person
would attempt to use cruise control after being warned not
to do so. The recall letter is very clear about this.

You have attempted to deflect the blatant disregard for
safety by stating that what the dealer did was wrong. It
was wrong but that is not my point... Do not use the cruise
control of an affected vehicle it could be dangerous.

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:39:59 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

Jean,
We are in total agreement on that good sir.

>Do not use the cruise
control of an affected vehicle it could be dangerous.

Let's all be safe...

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:29:41 -0400
From: Jean Marc Chartier
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

Chris Patrick wrote:
>
> Jean Marc, I can not believe your ignorance. ... the only menace is YOU in
> your irresponsible post. First, if there were a DANGER, Ford would issue a
> mandatory recall... NOT a friendly
> notice for inspection....as they did with the whole lug nut issue.
>
> Second the whole point of the the original post is that the dealer disabled
> cruise control by cutting a wire..... without the owners permission. The
> poster did not mention that he reconnected it, but that he went back to the
> dealer and complained.
>
> My God, if you read roadsigns with as much lack of understanding as you did
> his post, YOU are the menace. I hope not to see you on the road.
>
> My apology to the rest of the list... but I hate it when someone resorts to
> flaming on a listserve, especially when they dont even understand the
> original post.
>
> > John,
> >
SNIP
> > > So, Fort Ranger, Explorer, etc. owners, it you like your
> > cruise control,
> > > don't go in for the friendly inspection until you are sure that
> > > replacement parts are in.
> > > You'll be without the control until then.
> > >
> > > --
> > > John W. Barron
> > > j.w.barron worldnet.att.net
> > > PCS Mobile Phone: 919-272-2384
> > >
>
Chris
The point is to not use your cruise control so what does it
matter if
> > > You'll be without the control until then.> > > unless you do not care and intend using it. MY letter from Ford reads " DO NOT USE THE SPEED CONTROL (CRUISE CONTROL) SYSTEM" in bold letters and it is underlined. I am not debating the issue of weather the dealer was right or wrong but just pointing out the ignorance of using cruise control when told not to. The only way to know that the cruise control is disabled is to look under the hood and see the cut wire or to try to use it..

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:32:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Douglas R. Floyd"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION

>
> Jean,
> We are in total agreement on that good sir.
>
> >Do not use the cruise
> control of an affected vehicle it could be dangerous.
>
> Let's all be safe...
>
> C.K.
>

My issue with this is the fact that the cable was cut without notice. Yes,
do not drive with it, but the owner should have been notified about it being
disabled. A car is not a piece of demoware -- mechanics do not hold the right
to cut things in people's vehicles without permission, or at least giving
notice.


- --
Douglas R. Floyd | Mirror Mirror on the wall
| True hope lies beyond the coast
Disclaimer: | You're a damned kind can't you see
I speak for myself, not IBM. | That tomorrow bears insanity -- Blind Guardian
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:36:14 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - End of the Thread

The root of this whole thread:

Total lack of communication.

The dealer should have let the owner know that it wanted to cut the cable.
The car does not belong to the dealer. The dealer should not have cut the
cable without communicating the necessity to the owner and getting
permission. The letter from Ford specifically states that owners MAY
REQUEST that the cable be cut (for free) to ensure the cruise-control is not
operated accedentally by the owner or by an unfamiliar driver. We do not
lop-off a ladies breast to save her from cancer, even if it is medically
necessary to prevent death, unless we have her permission.

Keith



- -----Original Message-----
From: Jean Marc Chartier
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - RECALL ACTION


>"C. K. Hartline" wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I didn't read menace into what he wrote about his son noticing the
>> cruise that was cut by the dealer without his permission. Ford notices a
>> problem, but can't fix it, because they don't have the parts, not because
>> the customer isn't willing to come in and get it fixed. Instead of being
>> told politely not to use the cruise because it was affected, or asking to
>> cut the cable, the dealership took it upon themselves to disable the
system
>> completely without consulting the owner of the vehicle. THAT FOR
WHATEVER
>> REASON IS SABOTAGE!!!! I understand that it was for a 'good' cause, but
>> then what Ford should be doing is notifying customers to bring in their
>> vehicles to have the cruise disabled. MOST of these recalls are
'potential'
>> problems, not eminant ones. NO, I don't want my cruise going crazy and
>> taking control from me, but I don't need anyone taking my vehicle's
>> capability and deciding whats acceptable without my permission either.
That
>> would be like me deciding that in bad weather your truck's big tires are
>> potential hydroplaning hazards, so I would just stick a knife in them
>>
>> dictating to you what I could simply advise you of as a hazard>. I
don't
>> want to kill anyone on the road, but if a Ford dealership pulled that
stunt
>> on my NEW TRUCK, I would be madder than .
And
>> that in and of itself doesn't make me a menace, but it does mean I've
been
>> sabotaged by my dealership. If we really want to save all the
>> mothers,sisters, and children we haven't maimed and killed by out of
control
>> cars, then lets just go back about a hundred years and go back to horse
and
>> buggy days, but then horses back then were unpredictable too. And maybe
>> just maybe, if the dealership would have been up front with the service
the
>> boy wouldn't have had a need to see if the cruise still worked.
>>
>> Personally, after the recall notice I would have avoided using it until
the
>> parts came in. Obviously they used it until the notice came in and then
had
>> the dealer check to see if their vehicle was affected, the dealer is at
>> fault, not the customer.
>>
>> My 2 cents worth,
>> C.K.
>>
>> Oh and one last thing! If you have an affected vehicle, use some common
>> sense, avoid using your cruise control, and while you're at it, avoid
>> getting your vehicle serviced by a dealership you can't trust to level
with
>> you!!
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>C.K.
>
> Did you get a letter from Ford? Do you know of the
>contents of this letter? I am not in disagreement about the
>dealer's actions. I am disgusted that some ignorant person
>would attempt to use cruise control after being warned not
>to do so. The recall letter is very clear about this.
>
> You have attempted to deflect the blatant disregard for
>safety by stating that what the dealer did was wrong. It
>was wrong but that is not my point... Do not use the cruise
>control of an affected vehicle it could be dangerous.
>
>Kindest regards
>
>Jean Marc Chartier
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:01:46 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - End of the Thread

Couldn't have said it better Keith...couldn't have said it better.

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:52:03 EDT....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.