97up-list-digest Friday, April 9 1999 Volume 02 : Number 089



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 97up - Fan clutch follies Part II
Re: FTE 97up - Trans filter
FTE 97up - Trans Cooler
FTE 97up - Bug shield
FTE 97up - Where to put the spare
RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Re: FTE 97up - Door gaskets
FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD
Re: FTE 97up - Auto Trans Problem?
RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
RE: FTE 97up - Door gaskets
RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD
Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Re: FTE 97up - Trans Cooler
Re: FTE 97up - Trans Cooler
Re: FTE 97up - Where to put the spare
Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD
Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Re: FTE 97up - Fan clutch follies Part II
Re: FTE 97up - Auto Trans Problem?
Re: FTE 97up - Fan clutch follies Part II
Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
FTE 97up - Door Guards and Speakers
Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD
Re: FTE 97up - New Truck
Re: FTE 97up - Oil Change
FTE 97up - Oil Change II
Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD
Re: FTE 97up - Oil Change
Re: FTE 97up - Oil Change II
FTE 97up - Quick Question
Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question
Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question rusty stuff
FTE 97up - TBS

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:19:04 GMT
From: alannorthstar mindspring.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Fan clutch follies Part II

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:27:39 -0500, you wrote:

:On two of the smaller econo cars I've owned which had electric
:fans, both had times when the fuse burnt and the engine got hot as a =
result.
:I like the idea of the old belt/clutch fans because even if the clutch =
locks
:up, the fan is still turning keeping the engine cool 'til you get to a =
place
:to fix it. If the motor in your electrical fan goes bad, you're stuck
:without a cooling system.
:
IN principle, I agree. But my last car, which I drove for 13
years (a Dodge Aries) had an electric fan, and never a problem
with it. So, I tend to think that, while an electric fan is a
more complicated system, they work pretty reliably!

Later,
Alan
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:10:47 EDT
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans filter

In a message dated 99-04-08 13:28:52 EDT, you write:


C.K.,

man , i don't know what these yahoos are doing with a cooler on a stick
tranny(6 speed) All i can say is there are 3 transmissions For SD, 5 speed,
6 speed, and 3 spd w/ OD(4R100)

Ross Smith


Date:99-04-08 13:28:52 EDT
From:cakid stlmo.com (C. K. Hartline)
Sender:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Reply-to:97up-list ford-trucks.com
To:97up-list ford-trucks.com

I'm a little confused about the 6 speed 4R100 myself, this IS an automatic
transmission or a stick? The 4R100 I thought was the 4 speed automatic, is
there a 6 speed version of this automatic? Or if not, I've never ever seen
a standard shift transmission with 'cooler lines' running to the radiator.
Or am I just sitting back in the 'Fool's Chair at the King's Table' again?
PLEASE ELABORATE!!

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


----------------------- Headers --------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from rly-ya01.mx.aol.com (rly-ya01.mail.aol.com [172.18.144.193])
by air-ya01.mail.aol.com (v59.4) with SMTP; Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:28:51 -0400
Received: from ford-trucks.com (ford-trucks.com [192.41.63.203])
by rly-ya01.mx.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)
with ESMTP id NAA04557;
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
Received: (fordtruc localhost) by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id NAA18566; Thu,
8 Apr 1999 13:25:52 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from minor.stlmo.com (root minor.stlmo.com [206.52.3.2]) by
ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id NAA18559; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:25:50 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from thebeast (slip15.stlmo.com [206.52.3.15])
by minor.stlmo.com (Pro-8.9.2/Pro-8.9.2) with SMTP id MAA29274
for ; Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:23:30 -0500 (CDT)
Message-ID:
From: "C. K. Hartline"
To:
References:
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans filter
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:34:22 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2014.211
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2014.211
Sender: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com

>>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:18:14 -0600
From: "Matus, Scott A"
Subject: FTE 97up - Trans Cooler

Why? you ask? H e a t is the demon of all transmissions not just
Automatics.
Just because I have a Stick does not mean that my instructions for mounting
your external Trans cooler are null and void.
I read your post to read that you were about to install a remote Trans
filter, SORRY!



- -----Original Post ------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:16:20 EDT
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans filter

In a message dated 99-04-08 10:31:15 EDT, you write:


LET BACK UP A SECOND HERE, you said you had 6 speed, thats a stick right?
why would you need a trans cooler? Just FYI: all i was wondering on was the

4R100 trans filter.

RS

I have a 99 F350 PSD with the 6 speed. It does have a trans cooler inside
the radiator. Like my old '69 Pontiac had. I know that the temps of the
radiator a usually higher than the temp of the trans oil I'm trying to
cool.
So I installed an external cooler infront of the radiator and below of the
Intercooler, between the A/C Condenser. You must remove the bumper to do
all this work. As for the filter location: On the right frame rail there
is
a welded flange with two 1/2 " holes in it. I used a Perma Cool 1211
filter
mount and a Fram PH8A style filter. I fabricated a mount bracket out of
1-1/2" square aluminum tube about 5 " long and drilled the 5 holes in it.
To get the clearance to perform this installation you MUST remove the
Passenger Fender liner (about 20 Min work).
The Trans lines can be easily cut and flared to install fittings to the PC
filter mount. Remember to use a good quality 3/8" hose and clamps.

You must be patient doing this install.

Scott.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:23:43 -0600
From: "Matus, Scott A"
Subject: FTE 97up - Bug shield

I have the LUND Interceptor and had questions about removing the hood
weatherstripping. I called them.
They said in order to get the proper clearance you must remove the thin
weatherstripping in the front of the hood.
Then I asked about the hood rubbing on the chrome grille. Their suggestion
adjust the hood height.

So, if you look at this adjustment remember to not only adjust the hood lock
mechanism, but the two height adjusters as well.

Scott.


Question about the bug guard, beside it making it difficult to close
the hood - takes a really good slam to get it to lock: does the guard
interfere with air flow to cool the turbo charger? Thought I remember
reading something here about that. >>>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:55:59 EDT
From: NavJohn aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Where to put the spare

I'm trying to find a good place to mount the spare tire on my F450 Crew Cab
PSD. I'm having a Knapeheide "Westerner" service bed installed next week.
The truck has the rear mounted 38-gallon fuel tank, so that eliminates the
usual place to mount the spare. Since I'll be towing a fifth wheel trailer,
I don't think I'll be able to mount the tire upright anywhere on the bed --
too tall to let the trailer swing. Would a front bumper mount interfere with
air flow to the radiator and the air intakes to the turbine and intercooler?
Any other ideas, or am I stuck with having the tire flat on the bed?
Thanks,
John Wilson
Waddy, KY
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:39:14 -0500
From: "Chris Patrick"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

> Running a truck that hard.......Its a wonder all you had was wicked
> smoke.......especially with the 4.2 V6. From what I have been
> hearing on
> this list.....you had your truck severely overloaded with the
> 4.2 and a 5 speed......

as to overloaded, yes it was about 600 pounds above the trucks limit,
however i run a 12000# balancing hitch which effectivly centers the weight
on both axles. the motor is rated at 260 pounds of torque and 210 hp, which
is quite a bit higher than my 3/4 ton 305 powered 83 chevy truck, even tho
the powerband is considerably higher into the rpm band.

> and not treating it very well at that. Why on
> earth would you
> drive 80mph when towing....

st. louis to moab utah is a interstate 70 jaunt approx 1000 miles, across
kansas and colorado.. if youve ever done this drive, youll understand

> and the engine running 5300+ RPMs
> when going up
> grades.

because 2nd gear slowed me to less than 20 mph, and pulled to the redline..
third ran to 5000+, kept me at 35mph ish, and wouldnt hit redline.

> Why would you run the truck in 5th gear until it
> stalled anyway.

i did this once to see where the limits of the truck were.

> if
> you keep treating your truck like this....I don't think it
> will live to see
> 10,000 miles.

welp, it has 7k miles on it now.. we'll see. i use the truck in the city as
a commuter vehicle year round. during the summer i tow a 1600# boat and
trailer, which the truck doesnt even feel back there..

> It is people like you that get innocent people
> in trouble when
> you lose control of your vehicle.

ive been towing for 16+ years, and havent lost controll yet. i drive for
conditions. when corssing kansas, visibility 5 miles +, i can gas it because
i can see anything that happens in front of me.. when traffic gets thick, i
of course back down.

> If someone would stop in front of
> you....or veer into your lane....you would'nt have a chance in hell of
> stopping.

again, a falsehood. with the trailer brakes (2 axle trailer) set up
correctly, the stopping distance of the loaded trailer and truck is actually
less than the truck alone. track tested. with the weight balancing hitch,
it handles very well as well. (I pit for a local nascar late model team,
speciality is )

i seriously considered buying a larger truck, as ive always had seperate tow
vehicals from my daily drivers, but i bought a smaller (more expensive) boat
last year, and i tow heavy loads only once or twice a year, i couldnt afford
both a commuter car AND a tow vehicle. since i drive city miles to work, i
couldnt deal with the high costs of feul in a bigger f-250 or f-350 as a
daily driver. so i picked up the F-150, after testing it pulling my boat.
its tow rated at 5500 pounds, but i have added heavy duty oil cooler,
auxilary engine cooler. ive also upgraded the front calipers to wildwood
units, aproximately 30% more CONTROLLED stopping power. since the rear is
ABS i left it alone. i run load rated 275 60/17 tires, not the tall,
skinny, tires on the larger trucks, which are prone to popping a bead at
speed in corners. since the 12,000# hitch is apporximately twice what the
truck is capable of towing, i dont see a problem there.
i also have the 3.55 gears and tow package from ford, but i dont know how
much of a difference the factory tow packages make. I get 22 mpg unloaded
highway (even with my agressive driving style) and 18 city, slightly better
than what the factory rates the truck, probably due to the k&N filter i have
added. The truck carries a 3 year, 36000 mile roadside assistance bumper to
bumper warranty, and i usually dont keep a daily driver more than 3 years,
as i write it off for my business.

this *IS* however the first truck ive had with a v-6, and the first FORD
truck ive ever owned, simply because I lived in rural communities for the
last 8 years, and all the farmers who beat the hell outta thier trucks
swear by chevy and dodge, and get 160k to 200k outta them where the fords
seem to have had about a 80k mile lifespan... again, im sure may people will
disaggree here on the ford truck listserve, but that was what i experianced
over a 8 year timeframe in a rural communtiy where everyone drives trucks..
and uses the hell out of them. The recent trucks however have gone up
considerably in national ratings, and since the f- trucks are the best
selling vehicles in the U.S. Car or Truck, and in my opinion, the best
looking trucks avail, i bought one this year, and have been thrilled. was
just wondering about the evil black smoke, which ford tells me is normal
under hard accelleration as the computer adjusts feul flow. they plugged me
in wednesday and found no performance issues or other problems.


besides, any moron who would stop in front of a fully loaded truck flying
along the interstate deserves to be road pizza in my opinion.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:30:13 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Door gaskets

There is only one plant that makes F-350's (Kentucky Truck Plant KTP). I
don't know why some of the trucks don't have the gaskets. I've had a few
F-150's with this problem, but its easy to fix.

Nathan Bernard

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Jaeger & Daly & College Planners Inc.
To:
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Door gaskets


> I wonder if all of these trucks with the missing gaskets are comming from
> one manufacturing plant? I am about to order my F-350 and I think that I
> can request a truck from a specified manufacturing plant... not sure...
> Anyone know the truth.
> Harold in the Chicago Area.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: GEORGE CROLL
> To:
> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 4:20 PM
> Subject: FTE 97up - Door gaskets
>
>
> > My 99 does not have any gaskets on the door other than the rubber seal
on
> the cab. What is this door gasket and
> > where does it go. Does it attach to the bottom of the door so mud does
> not get on the inside of the door below the
> > cab seal. I get a lot of crap there. I also removed the factory steps
> because they did'nt suite my taste. They are for
> > sale if someone wants to make me an offer. They seemed pretty steep in
> the catalog from ford.
> >
> > thanks for the tip on the door gaskets, I had no idea until reading the
> list.
> >
> >
> > George Croll
> > EPA-OAR-ARD
> > (202)564-0162
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:36:40 -0500
From: Todd Styles
Subject: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD

Anybody here installed a soft tonneau on a SD? I'm interested but not sure
which brand is best. I had a TekStyle on my '94 F150 and it held up well.
I'm curious because the bed in not perfectly square. There is a noticeable
taper from the front to the back. I'm assume this is for aerodynamics.
Thanks, Todd.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:40:26 -0500
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Auto Trans Problem?

Nathan,

Hear of any problems reported on the automatic transmission in the Super Duty's?

Picking up my new Power Stroke Dream truck this week, the Sales Manager
(good guy) commented that he'd recently heard from the guy who was sold my
originally ordered V10 by mistake from the GM (bad guy) . The guy lives due
North, in Wisconsin, and apparently has been having nothing but problems with
his trans. It's been in for service three times at a Ford dealer up by him, and
now
they want to replace the entire trans. What's funny is the SM is asking me if
I've
heard anything on the internet.

Charles.


Union Auto wrote:

> The 4R100 is a 4 speed automatic and the 6 speed is a manual transmission.
> However the 6 speed does have an external oil cooler (the 5 speed does not),
> and an actuall oil pump (as opposed to the usuall splasher).
>
> Nathan Bernard
> Union Auto, Inc.
> Union, IA 50258
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From:
> To:
> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 11:16 AM
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans filter
>
> > In a message dated 99-04-08 10:31:15 EDT, you write:
> >
> >
> > LET BACK UP A SECOND HERE, you said you had 6 speed, thats a stick right?
> > why would you need a trans cooler? Just FYI: all i was wondering on was
> the
> > 4R100 trans filter.
> >
> > RS
> >
> > I have a 99 F350 PSD with the 6 speed. It does have a trans cooler
> inside
> > the radiator. Like my old '69 Pontiac had. I know that the temps of the
> > radiator a usually higher than the temp of the trans oil I'm trying to
> cool.
> > So I installed an external cooler infront of the radiator and below of
> the
> > Intercooler, between the A/C Condenser. You must remove the bumper to do
> > all this work. As for the filter location: On the right frame rail there
> is
> > a welded flange with two 1/2 " holes in it. I used a Perma Cool 1211
> filter
> > mount and a Fram PH8A style filter. I fabricated a mount bracket out of
> > 1-1/2" square aluminum tube about 5 " long and drilled the 5 holes in it.
> > To get the clearance to perform this installation you MUST remove the
> > Passenger Fender liner (about 20 Min work).
> > The Trans lines can be easily cut and flared to install fittings to the
> PC
> > filter mount. Remember to use a good quality 3/8" hose and clamps.
> >
> > You must be patient doing this install.
> >
> > Scott.
> >
> > -------- >>
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:20:18 -0500
From: George Rigney
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

All your replies sounded pretty reasonable, especially given your plan to
only keep your truck for three years while under warranty. Your last
comment is extremely irresponsible, however.
Sometimes people have to make emergency stops. That doesn't mean they
deserve to die. If one of your loved ones had to slam on the brakes for
some valid reason and was maimed or killed by someone following too close, I
doubt you would have such a cavalier attitude. I hope that that last bit
was simply intended as humor and does not reflect your true feelings on the
value of human life.

Finally, someone who puts out a document to be read by thousands of people
and does not begin their sentences with upper-case letters and cannot spell
fuel properly shouldn't call anyone a moron.

George

1974 Gran Torino Elite 351W
1984 LTD Crown Victoria 302
1999 F250 SD CC V10

- -----Original Message-----
From: Chris Patrick [mailto:chris jbtech.com]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 1999 9:39 AM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
Importance: High


>
under hard accelleration as the computer adjusts feul flow. they plugged me
in wednesday and found no performance issues or other problems.


besides, any moron who would stop in front of a fully loaded truck flying
along the interstate deserves to be road pizza in my opinion.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:28:47 -0500
From: George Rigney
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Door gaskets

Nathan,

My wife's F250 SD is missing the door gaskets. Can you post the part
number, please? Also, is that a free fix? By the way, it's a 2x4.

Thanks,

George

1974 Gran Torino Elite 351W
1984 LTD Crown Victoria 302
1999 F250 SD CC V10

- -----Original Message-----
From: Union Auto [mailto:unionaut adiis.net]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 1999 9:30 AM
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Door gaskets


There is only one plant that makes F-350's (Kentucky Truck Plant KTP). I
don't know why some of the trucks don't have the gaskets. I've had a few
F-150's with this problem, but its easy to fix.

Nathan Bernard

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Jaeger & Daly & College Planners Inc.
To:
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Door gaskets


> I wonder if all of these trucks with the missing gaskets are comming from
> one manufacturing plant? I am about to order my F-350 and I think that I
> can request a truck from a specified manufacturing plant... not sure...
> Anyone know the truth.
> Harold in the Chicago Area.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: GEORGE CROLL
> To:
> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 4:20 PM
> Subject: FTE 97up - Door gaskets
>
>
> > My 99 does not have any gaskets on the door other than the rubber seal
on
> the cab. What is this door gasket and
> > where does it go. Does it attach to the bottom of the door so mud does
> not get on the inside of the door below the
> > cab seal. I get a lot of crap there. I also removed the factory steps
> because they did'nt suite my taste. They are for
> > sale if someone wants to make me an offer. They seemed pretty steep in
> the catalog from ford.
> >
> > thanks for the tip on the door gaskets, I had no idea until reading the
> list.
> >
> >
> > George Croll
> > EPA-OAR-ARD
> > (202)564-0162
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:01:44 -0500
From: "Chris Patrick"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

> last bit
> was simply intended as humor and does not reflect your true
> feelings on the
> value of human life.

dark humor... it was.. but living in an urban area, frustration arises from
those people who see you coming, and then pullout in front of you and go 3-4
mph below the speed limit, or worse the left lane bandits. I have replaced
my headlight bulbs with 85w low/100w high beams, both to extend my range of
vision, and to encourage people NOT to pull out or slow down in front of
me... also, i have mounted 2 - 150 watt off road lights which RARELY get
used to drive the point home...

> Finally, someone who puts out a document to be read by
> thousands of people
> and does not begin their sentences with upper-case letters
> and cannot spell
> fuel properly shouldn't call anyone a moron.

I answer 250+ email messages a day. (I am the director of internet sales
for the company for which i work for).. i consider posts here to be more
conversational than formal, so i rarely go through the trouble of spell
checking or proofreading... id imagine that the mispelling was simply a
reversal of letters which is common when im typing faster to match the
conversational nature of my post. so yes, in these posts there may be
several spelling and grammer errors... for which i take all
responsibility..call it a complete lack of concern.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:03:52 -0700
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD

Todd, I had bought a Exstang tonneau for my SD, it did not fit right!
The bed sides on a SD have a curve to them.
I now have a Sportmaster, it fits perfect and the quality seems fine!
Gene

Todd Styles wrote:

> Anybody here installed a soft tonneau on a SD? I'm interested but not sure
> which brand is best. I had a TekStyle on my '94 F150 and it held up well.
> I'm curious because the bed in not perfectly square. There is a noticeable
> taper from the front to the back. I'm assume this is for aerodynamics.
> Thanks, Todd.
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:07:23 -0700
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

Ditto!!!!!
Gene

George Rigney wrote:

> All your replies sounded pretty reasonable, especially given your plan to
> only keep your truck for three years while under warranty. Your last
> comment is extremely irresponsible, however.
> Sometimes people have to make emergency stops. That doesn't mean they
> deserve to die. If one of your loved ones had to slam on the brakes for
> some valid reason and was maimed or killed by someone following too close, I
> doubt you would have such a cavalier attitude. I hope that that last bit
> was simply intended as humor and does not reflect your true feelings on the
> value of human life.
>
> Finally, someone who puts out a document to be read by thousands of people
> and does not begin their sentences with upper-case letters and cannot spell
> fuel properly shouldn't call anyone a moron.
>
> George
>
> 1974 Gran Torino Elite 351W
> 1984 LTD Crown Victoria 302
> 1999 F250 SD CC V10
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Patrick [mailto:chris jbtech.com]
> Sent: Friday, April 09, 1999 9:39 AM
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking
> Importance: High
>
> >
> under hard accelleration as the computer adjusts feul flow. they plugged me
> in wednesday and found no performance issues or other problems.
>
> besides, any moron who would stop in front of a fully loaded truck flying
> along the interstate deserves to be road pizza in my opinion.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:45:58 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans Cooler









Hey Alan please don't be offended man,
This is why I joined this list, you see, I'm a mechanic's son, and this
is the first I've heard of a standard transmission having cooler lines
running to it. I'm NOT knocking it, I'm actually kinda intrigued by it. It
sounds like a great idea actually! I think the confusion came into play
when the six speed and the 4R100 were used in the same sentence having been
two totally different beasts. Maybe I'll have to consider something like
that for my 41 Ford if I end up putting that 6 speed in her. Thanks again
to all you guys and gals for the information that while it may sound like
something everyone should know, there are some aspects that are new to the
few.

.
for that model or if someone had a brilliant idea back then, or perhaps I am
truly in the dark on this. I'm trying to remember back to all the standard
transmission vehicles we worked on and I can't honestly say one way or the
other
back..lol>.

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:47:06 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans Cooler

I said Alan I should have said Scott, my apologies
sir.

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:56:30 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Where to put the spare

Just a curious question how far forward to the cab does the trailor ride?
Could you mount the spare in the middle of the bed behind the rear glass? Or
would it be too tall for rearview vision? I would think you would be able
to also set it upright to either the passenger or driver side of the bed
running parallel with the back glass...just a thought.

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:48:04 EDT
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD

In a message dated 99-04-09 10:41:28 EDT, you write:


i have one, installed it myself, i bought the Ford one probably shouldnt have
now that i see its probably the same as a Lund or compareable model.
Instructions you can pretty much toss in the garbage, all the instructions
are stamped on the frame. It fits pretty darn good for not being a square
like you said. Once you tighen it up the frame forms to rails.

RS

Date:99-04-09 10:41:28 EDT
From:Todd.Styles bmhcc.org (Todd Styles)
Sender:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Reply-to:97up-list ford-trucks.com
To:97up-list ford-trucks.com ('97up-list ford-trucks.com')

Anybody here installed a soft tonneau on a SD? I'm interested but not sure
which brand is best. I had a TekStyle on my '94 F150 and it held up well.
I'm curious because the bed in not perfectly square. There is a noticeable
taper from the front to the back. I'm assume this is for aerodynamics.
Thanks, Todd.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


----------------------- Headers --------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from rly-yc05.mail.aol.com (rly-yc05.mail.aol.com
[172.18.149.37]) by air-yc04.mail.aol.com (v59.4) with SMTP; Fri, 09 Apr 1999
10:41:28 -0400
Received: from ford-trucks.com (ford-trucks.com [192.41.63.203])
by rly-yc05.mail.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.5/AOL-4.0.0)
with ESMTP id KAA06453;
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:41:07 -0400 (EDT)
Received: (fordtruc localhost) by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id KAA26800; Fri,
9 Apr 1999 10:37:04 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from bmhccfw1.bmhcc.org (bmhc-gatekeeper.bmhcc.org [167.251.1.2])
by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id KAA26756; Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:36:56 -0400 (EDT)
X-Authentication-Warning: ford-trucks.com: Host bmhc-gatekeeper.bmhcc.org
[167.251.1.2] claimed to be bmhccfw1.bmhcc.org
Received: from met-exc-cn04.bmhcc.org by bmhccfw1.bmhcc.org
via smtpd (for ford-trucks.com [192.41.63.203]) with SMTP; 9 Apr
1999 14:36:55 UT
Received: by met-exc-cl02.bmhcc.org with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2448.0)
id ; Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:36:42 -0500
Message-ID:
From: Todd Styles
To: "'97up-list ford-trucks.com'"
Subject: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:36:40 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2448.0)
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Sender: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk
Reply-To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com

>>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:09:53 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

It's not the 80 mph with a trailer behind that gets me, it's the "I have to
pass this guy doing 40 mph at 40.5 mph while everyone waits behind me"...in
these United States, the left lane on a four lane or larger freeway is the
faster lane and it's my understanding, drivers are to yield to faster
traffic coming from behind them as a courtesy...I've seen alot folks over
the years intentionally stay in the 'fast' lane so that other folks can't
get around them. This is more dangerous in my opinion than someone in a
towing vehicle going over the speed limit in high visibility conditions.

Just my 2 cents on that,
C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:28:31 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

>several spelling and grammer errors

FWIW I have a degree in English, and I have a tendency to overtype my
correspondence on the net as a opposed to something I'm going to print out
for a customer or a personal letter to send to those who don't have internet
access. I also see misspellings all the time in chat rooms...and for the
most part it is often the 'switched'-letter misspelled words. BUT..grammar
is never spelled g r a m m e r!!!

Ok ok, I'm really just teasin' ya guys!! It's a joke!! I do
have a degree in English, and grammar is spelled with the second 'a'...but
sometimes I think things get a bit tense here...and this is just an email
list. Makes you wonder what we'd be like at a big bar-b-que...hehe. I
suspect someone would show up with a Dodge and we end up having a truck pull
after words were spoken..LOL.

C.K.




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:50:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan Gaudenti
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Fan clutch follies Part II

> :On two of the smaller econo cars I've owned which had electric
> :fans, both had times when the fuse burnt and the engine got hot as a result.
> :I like the idea of the old belt/clutch fans because even if the clutch locks
> :up, the fan is still turning keeping the engine cool 'til you get to a place
> :to fix it. If the motor in your electrical fan goes bad, you're stuck
> :without a cooling system.
> :
> IN principle, I agree. But my last car, which I drove for 13
> years (a Dodge Aries) had an electric fan, and never a problem
> with it. So, I tend to think that, while an electric fan is a
> more complicated system, they work pretty reliably!

I may agree that a belt-driven fan can be more reliable than an electric,
I don't think the reliability of an electric is an issue. My wife's
import is electric and hasn't caused any problems. I converted my last
car from engine-driven to electric and had no problems after many years of
service. I'm going to convert my F-150 to electric (this weekend if I
don't work and if I can get the stock fan off), I'll let you all know how
it goes.

Danny

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:12:58 -0500
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Auto Trans Problem?

The only problem we've had is with some Power Stroke autos built late last
summer. The torque converter was noisy. We only had one unit, but I have
heard other dealers had several.

Nathan Bernard
- ----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Abraham
To:
Sent: Friday, April 09, 1999 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Auto Trans Problem?


> Nathan,
>
> Hear of any problems reported on the automatic transmission in the Super
Duty's?
>
> Picking up my new Power Stroke Dream truck this week, the Sales Manager
> (good guy) commented that he'd recently heard from the guy who was sold my
> originally ordered V10 by mistake from the GM (bad guy) . The guy lives
due
> North, in Wisconsin, and apparently has been having nothing but problems
with
> his trans. It's been in for service three times at a Ford dealer up by
him, and
> now
> they want to replace the entire trans. What's funny is the SM is asking me
if
> I've
> heard anything on the internet.
>
> Charles.
>
>
> Union Auto wrote:
>
> > The 4R100 is a 4 speed automatic and the 6 speed is a manual
transmission.
> > However the 6 speed does have an external oil cooler (the 5 speed does
not),
> > and an actuall oil pump (as opposed to the usuall splasher).
> >
> > Nathan Bernard
> > Union Auto, Inc.
> > Union, IA 50258
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From:
> > To:
> > Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 11:16 AM
> > Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Trans filter
> >
> > > In a message dated 99-04-08 10:31:15 EDT, you write:
> > >
> > >
> > > LET BACK UP A SECOND HERE, you said you had 6 speed, thats a stick
right?
> > > why would you need a trans cooler? Just FYI: all i was wondering on
was
> > the
> > > 4R100 trans filter.
> > >
> > > RS
> > >
> > > I have a 99 F350 PSD with the 6 speed. It does have a trans cooler
> > inside
> > > the radiator. Like my old '69 Pontiac had. I know that the temps of
the
> > > radiator a usually higher than the temp of the trans oil I'm trying
to
> > cool.
> > > So I installed an external cooler infront of the radiator and below
of
> > the
> > > Intercooler, between the A/C Condenser. You must remove the bumper
to do
> > > all this work. As for the filter location: On the right frame rail
there
> > is
> > > a welded flange with two 1/2 " holes in it. I used a Perma Cool 1211
> > filter
> > > mount and a Fram PH8A style filter. I fabricated a mount bracket out
of
> > > 1-1/2" square aluminum tube about 5 " long and drilled the 5 holes in
it.
> > > To get the clearance to perform this installation you MUST remove the
> > > Passenger Fender liner (about 20 Min work).
> > > The Trans lines can be easily cut and flared to install fittings to
the
> > PC
> > > filter mount. Remember to use a good quality 3/8" hose and clamps.
> > >
> > > You must be patient doing this install.
> > >
> > > Scott.
> > >
> > > -------- >>
> > >
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:29:15 -0400
From: Eric
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Fan clutch follies Part II

At 11:50 AM 4/9/99 -0700, you wrote:
> I'm going to convert my F-150 to electric (this weekend if I
>don't work and if I can get the stock fan off), I'll let you all know how
>it goes.
>
>Danny

Hi Danny,

This sounds like a great idea to me. I don't want to get involved in the
electric versus belt fan debate, but I have also had much success with
electric (solenoid controlled) fans over the years.

I don't have any notions of turning my F-150 in to a "sports" truck, but to
add a few more horses to my 4.2 V-6 would be nice. This sounds like one
option that would add a few ponies. But at what cost is my question?

I am extremely interested in hearing how you make out. Please keep us
updated, or mail me directly if you think it more appropriate.

Thanks.

Eric
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:45:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Douglas R. Floyd"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

>
> It's not the 80 mph with a trailer behind that gets me, it's the "I have to
> pass this guy doing 40 mph at 40.5 mph while everyone waits behind me"...in
> these United States, the left lane on a four lane or larger freeway is the
> faster lane and it's my understanding, drivers are to yield to faster
> traffic coming from behind them as a courtesy...I've seen alot folks over
> the years intentionally stay in the 'fast' lane so that other folks can't
> get around them. This is more dangerous in my opinion than someone in a
> towing vehicle going over the speed limit in high visibility conditions.

Drivers are supposed to move over, but I've never seen it. Usually, people
take to the left lane so they can leave their cruise control on, and let
other people deal with them. At least this is how it is in Austin.
usually, passing people on the right is as common as the left, as for
some oddball reason (even despite the slower traffic, keep right signs),
the really slow cars (~45-50) take the middle or fast lanes.

As for towing, unless the road is empty, I tend to really watch speed, as
even though my F150's brakes are good, I still have additional stopping
distance I am not used to. When I learned to drive, I spent a week driving
with a tow vehicle, and a camper... learned the hard way about increased
distance when stopping for a stop sign, wound up in the intersection.

>
> Just my 2 cents on that,
> C.K.
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>


- --
Douglas R. Floyd | Mirror Mirror on the wall
| True hope lies beyond the coast
Disclaimer: | You're a damned kind can't you see
I speak for myself, not IBM. | That tomorrow bears insanity -- Blind Guardian
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:09:53 EDT
From: CERESJohnG aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: wicked smoke..evil looking

In a message dated 4/9/99 14:11:14 Eastern Daylight Time, cakid stlmo.com
writes:


pass this guy doing 40 mph at 40.5 mph while everyone waits behind me"...in
these United States, the left lane on a four lane or larger freeway is the
faster lane and it's my understanding, drivers are to yield to faster
traffic coming from behind them as a courtesy...I've seen alot folks over
the years intentionally stay in the 'fast' lane so that other folks can't
get around them. This is more dangerous in my opinion than someone in a
towing vehicle going over the speed limit in high visibility conditions. >>


I submit that the left lane hogs and slow passers should drive the Autobahn
in Germany one time. God what a lessen. The basic rule seems to be that a
more expensive car cannot be seen or travel slower than a cheaper one. The
only excepotions I ever saw were Citroens and motorcycles. PLug the left lane
at your peril over there.

As for passing at 40.5 in a 40 mph zone. I submit it's a apin but local law
enfocement has a passion about stuff like that. 40 is 40, 45 is 45, and 55
is 55. Doesn't make a bit of difference if you were passing or not, If the
courthouse needs a new roof any excuse to get you to help fund it will do
regadless of the circumstances. I'm sure everyone has been through that drill
once in a while.

John G

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:25:19 -0500
From: ywozniak kiwi.dep.anl.gov (Todd Wozniak)
Subject: FTE 97up - Door Guards and Speakers

No, my crew cab did not come with the lower door gaskets, and I had the
parts dept. order them for me. Thanks for the tip.

Any one relocate or replace the rear door speakers on a crew cab yet? It
is an awkward locatipon for the speakers considering the rear seat is in
the way.

Todd
Chicago


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:01:12 4
From: "Vaughn (VDB)"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD

BTW, whats going rate for a good tonneau these days?

Thanks
Vaughn
99 F250 SD SC SB XLT 4X4 5.4


Todd, I had bought a Exstang tonneau for my SD, it did not fit
right! The bed sides on a SD have a curve to them. I now have a
Sportmaster, it fits perfect and the quality seems fine! Gene
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:45:45 -0700
From: Roger J Hutflesz
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - New Truck

I have them on my 2 wd 1999 F250, Diesel, Long bed

Roger Hutflesz


On Thu, 08 Apr 1999 19:57:30 -0400 Bill writes:
>Are the door rubbers suppose to be on the 2 and 4 wheel
>drive models or just the 4 WD.
>
>"C. K. Hartline" wrote:
>>
>> Is it me, or is Ford scrimping to save a buck here? These door
>gaskets
>> appear to be a warranty item yet I keep seeing truck after truck
>listed as
>> arriving without them.
>> How many folks are taking delivery that don't even think to look, or
>worse
>> yet, have no idea they need too?
>>
>> C.K.
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
>http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
>http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:44:57 -0700
From: Roger J Hutflesz
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Oil Change

Hi Nathan,

Bell Ford in Phoenix charged me $72.71

Oil: $27.30
Filter $18.96
Labor: $20.00
Haz Waste $3.00 ??

Difference is Tax.

BTW...I want to thank you for your excellent input to this discussion
area.

Roger Hutflesz



On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:37:41 -0500 "Union Auto"
writes:
>What is the going rate for a Diesel oil change. We charge $13.84 for
>a
>FL-1995 filter, $21.00 for 14qt of Motorcraft oil, and $13.50 for
>labor for
>a total of $48.34 (air filters and fluids are added to this if
>neccesary).
>Is this in the normal ball park for a service? Also what are
>Dealerships
>charging for Gasoline engine services?
>
>Thanks
>
>Nathan Bernard
>Union Auto, Inc.
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
>http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:18:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Adry Gimenez
Subject: FTE 97up - Oil Change II

Hey,


I forggot to add in the other mail that I could have gotton the Oil Change Free from the origanal dealer that I purchased it from. Unfortunetly, I did not go there do to the fact that I now live more than 60 miles from there But now maybe I am thinking that I should have gone there. I have always had bad luck with dealers. A few days before I went to get the OIl Change I went to the dealer to ask a few questions, when I drove in there, they were going dada over the truck like they never seen one like that before (and they were dealer)Also, can u believe that they never heard of the Recall on the cruise control.

All dealers care about is money,It took me 10 months to get this truck just because the dealer was pushing my due date back because I was able to get "A" Plan on it, Do you think that 20% off invoice is a reason to get pushed back for full paying cutomers? If only we could buy directly from the manufacture alot of these problems might go away.


Thanks for the reply`s on the first mail!!!


BECKS2

__
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.go.com


____________________________________________________________
Get your Free GO Network Email address at http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://mail.go.com
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 18:43:01 -0700
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - tonneau covers for SD

Going price for a good tonneau cover, $249.00
Gene
Vaughn (VDB) wrote:

> BTW, whats going rate for a good tonneau these days?
>
> Thanks
> Vaughn
> 99 F250 SD SC SB XLT 4X4 5.4
>
> Todd, I had bought a Exstang tonneau for my SD, it did not fit
> right! The bed sides on a SD have a curve to them. I now have a
> Sportmaster, it fits perfect and the quality seems fine! Gene
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:53:03 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Oil Change

Hi Nathan,

Bell Ford in Phoenix charged me $72.71

Oil: $27.30
Filter $18.96
Labor: $20.00
Haz Waste $3.00 ??

***************
Why is it that some genius came up with the ecological idea to tax people
for waste that can be recycled and then turn around and sell it to the
recycler who turns around and sells it right back to us..and then it's more
expensive, but we're supposed to buy it because it is helping the
environment? I've had places charge me the disposal tax on a set of tires,
even though they have 50 percent tread left in them and I'm taking the tires
with me to give to my dad for his truck. I've watched tire places go out
back to those same "hazardous waste tires" they've charged people to dispose
of and flip through them to sell one or two to someone for spare tires on a
trailer or even a vehicle. I don't know how many of us on this list have
ever worked or lived on a farm, but nothing is ever thrown away. It may set
in the field and rust away for a few years but then we'll find a use for it
somehow. I know one farmer who took his truck around and picked up the
'totally, never gonna have a tread or be able to hold air again" tires from
the local shops and roofed a barn with them. Barn is still standing today
from what I hear. Though if he was to build it today, I'm sure it would
cost him alot more what with that hazard tax and all...

And I know of several shops that used to take the old oil from 'oil
changes' and keep it in 55 gal barrels until winter. They had a special
heater for the garage that burned the oil so well there was little if any
exhaust waste from the chimney. I would think these places need to be
paying us to bring our vehicles in to get that cheaper heating fluid for the
winter...

Just another 2 pennies in the bucket
C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:57:32 -0500
From: "C. K. Hartline"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Oil Change II

OH how I wish we could buy direct from the manufacturer...talk about your
shop rates going down on labor!! What's sad is the poor slep working under
the hood with the knowledge and know how to fix your vehicle isn't getting
half of what you pay in labor rates...and I've never met a Dealership owner
who was willing to pay his mechanics more than he made himself...but I would
be interested in hearing if someone knew such a Saint.

C.K.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:44:31 -0400
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Quick Question

Just a quick question to everyone with a '99 F-250 and/or 350 Super/Duty
4X4:

Did your truck's front axle (axle tubes and pumpkin) and front hubs/rotors
(backside) come from the factory rust and/or cheaply painted which then
quick became rust???

I have talked to many people at my dealership (mechanics) who say that they
notice that just about all the axles (but especially the front ones from
Dana) come rusty from the factory. On my F-350, the rear axle (Ford
Corporate) is fairly well painted; however, the the paint seems to be only
one thin layer and there is no evidence of primer. Is it just me, or does
everyone buying a new 30K truck seem to agree that one should get rust-free
metal on all the parts??

Keith

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 18:31:07 -0700
From: Kent Tombs
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question

Keith Veren wrote:
>
> Just a quick question to everyone with a '99 F-250 and/or 350 Super/Duty
> 4X4:
>
> Did your truck's front axle (axle tubes and pumpkin) and front hubs/rotors
> (backside) come from the factory rust and/or cheaply painted which then
> quick became rust???
>
> I have talked to many people at my dealership (mechanics) who say that they
> notice that just about all the axles (but especially the front ones from
> Dana) come rusty from the factory. On my F-350, the rear axle (Ford
> Corporate) is fairly well painted; however, the the paint seems to be only
> one thin layer and there is no evidence of primer. Is it just me, or does
> everyone buying a new 30K truck seem to agree that one should get rust-free
> metal on all the parts??
>
> Keith
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Yeah my truck came with all the nice areas waiting to rust, but after
some thorough cleaning I have repainted it with three coats of Tremclad
gloss black rust paint. The main areas were front rear axles steering
linkage and steering box and leaf springs. The frame was about the only
part that had a good coat of paint from the factory but it is more like
an undercoating (stayed tacky for quite some time) and loves to collect
dirt, may have to deal with it in the future.
Kent
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:37:17 EDT
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Quick Question rusty stuff

In a message dated 99-04-09 20:48:40 EDT, you write:


i know i was changing my oil yesterday takeing a look around waiting for it
to drain....all the drive shafts are rusty, front and rear axle are also,
anyone notice the bar code on front axle, thats new because i dont think i
have seen a F25o at teh checkout counter at the grocery store! lol!

Also whats the deal with the markings on the front drive shaft?

I almost forgot i install Better Built black tubular bars today, got them
from Cabela's, very nice and easy install. Helps tremendously jumping in the
4x4.

RS



Date:99-04-09 20:48:40 EDT
From:Spectrum-EHS worldnet.att.net (Keith Veren)
Sender:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
Reply-to:97up-list ford-trucks.com
To:97up-list ford-trucks.com (Ford Truck Mailing List)

Just a quick question to everyone with a '99 F-250 and/or 350 Super/Duty
4X4:

Did your truck's front axle (axle tubes and pumpkin) and front hubs/rotors
(backside) come from the factory rust and/or cheaply painted which then
quick became rust???

I have talked to many people at my dealership (mechanics) who say that they
notice that just about all the axles (but especially the front ones from
Dana) come rusty from the factory. On my F-350, the rear axle (Ford
Corporate) is fairly well painted; however, the the paint seems to be only
one thin layer and there is no evidence of primer. Is it just me, or does
everyone buying a new 30K truck seem to agree that one should get rust-free
metal on all the parts??

Keith

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.