97up-list-digest Tuesday, January 26 1999 Volume 02 : Number 021



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 97up - 300HP Navigator
Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!
Re: FTE 97up - towing fuses and relays
Re: FTE 97up - towing fuses and relays
FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB
FTE 97up - Rear brake line TSB
FTE 97up - Rear wheel ABS. Is it working?
Re: FTE 97up - Rear wheel ABS. Is it working?
Re: FTE 97up - Rear brake line TSB
Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB
Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB
Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!
Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB
Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!
FTE 97up - SD 250 Crew Cab 4x4's
FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS
Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS
Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS
Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS
Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS
Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:14:13 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 300HP Navigator

It's a DOHC engine Vs SOHC in the 260 HP 5.4L. The Lightning F-150 will
have a Supercharged 5.4L SOHC with 360HP.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jrhexp aol.com
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 10:22 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - 300HP Navigator


>Nathan, I have enjoyed reading your posts on the site. Was wondering if you
>knew what they did to get the 300 HP out of the (I assume 5.4) Ford is
>advertising in the 99 Navigator, Thanks , Jim Haynor
> 97 EB Exp.
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:10:27 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!

We've replaced the air box on every 99 Super Duty with a Power Stroke built
before July. If you have one of these (Power Stroke built before 7-13-98)
you should have your dealer replace the air box. The TSB talks about water
which hasn't happened to us yet, but we've had one truck fill the air box
with snow. We have many gravel roads around here and I had several people
that would need new air filters every 3,000 miles. This new air box cures
that problem. If your truck was built after 7-13 it already has this air
box.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: Michael Ruth
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Monday, January 25, 1999 1:23 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!


>Hey all!
>Thanks to all who replied and Nathan also, who may try this fix at his
>dealership!
>My Baltimore dealer said there was water getting inside the airbox and
>when it got cold the filter was hard as a rock! There was a TSB update
>on how to modify the airbox and relocate the opening. They said water
>was coming up from the wheel well on the left side and getting into the
>box, obviously when it got cold or freezing my filter was a solid block
>of ice! The performed their fix and it has worked so far. I drove in
>alot of rain last week and it cooled off and no more surging problems.
>
>Also, they researched to see if my truck has the temperature feature and
>they said NO! They don't know why except that some early production
>Lariat models have the overhead console, but no temperature option. All
>the other features work. they tried programming the GEM module, but
>they said it was not in there either. If anyone has any ideas on how to
>hook it up, the dealer said they would order me a New overhaed console
>for a later model and give it to me as an exchange. They said they
>tried one from one on the lot with the temp feature.
>
>Thanks again!
>Mike
>99 SD SC PS 4X4 longbed


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:15:38 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - towing fuses and relays

Put them in and leave them. The trucks used to come with the fuses
installed, but for some reason this year their just coming in the bag.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: Rpdonnelly aol.com
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 10:22 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - (no subject)


>I just took delivery of a 99 F150 extended cab. It came equiped with the
>trailer towing package. In the plastic bag with the 4 prong adapter, there
>are a couple of relays that are to be insatlled in order for the electronic
>tow package to work properly(so says the literature that came in the
package).
>Does any one know if these relays should be installed at all times or just
>during towing? Thanks
>
>Ron Donnelly OKC,OK
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:40:37 EST
From: JudgeR aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - towing fuses and relays

In a message dated 1/25/99 9:27:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
unionaut adiis.net writes:

Ron Donnelly OKC,OK
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html >>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:56:17 EST
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB

i just recieved a letter in mail from ford (dearborn) on left rear brake line
causeing loss of fluid and softer pedal if struck by stones or gravel at high
way speed, if operated on coarse roads.
I will find out more tommorrow as i have to get oil changed! It says 1/2 to
full day to R&R line and a new shield, no charge until july 31,1999

anyone else got this letter or problem?


Program No. 98b32

Ross Smith
9sec93cobra
99 F250SD PSD/SC/4x4
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:24:50 -0900
From: Perry Klein
Subject: FTE 97up - Rear brake line TSB

No letter yet but we have changed our whole fleet ourselves. We had 4-5
loose brake fluid. One was mine. One minute you have breaks. The next
you still have breaks but the petal goes slowly to the floor. I got quite
a few strokes before I ran totally out of fluid. It's a good thing the
diesels compression brake fairly well.

pk

>i just recieved a letter in mail from ford (dearborn) on left rear brake line
>causeing loss of fluid and softer pedal if struck by stones or gravel at high
>way speed, if operated on coarse roads.
>I will find out more tommorrow as i have to get oil changed! It says 1/2 to
>full day to R&R line and a new shield, no charge until july 31,1999
>
>anyone else got this letter or problem?
>
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:47:56 -0800
From: "Jose Pomposo Jr."
Subject: FTE 97up - Rear wheel ABS. Is it working?

It rained here in Los Angeles last night and I had a chance to experience
wet weather traction and braking ability on my new F-150. I have rear wheel
ABS but when I hit the brake fairly hard the rear wheels skidded for about
three seconds. My older Chevy ('88 C1500) doesn't have ABS and has cheaper
tires and it has never skidded during wet weather with the same braking
force that I applied to the new Ford. I thought ABS was supposed to help
prevent skidding? I also didn't feel the pedal pulsate like the manual says
it should, do you guys think that there is something wrong with my RWABS?


Thanks in advance,
Jose P.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:13:43 -0500
From: "Todd E."
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Rear wheel ABS. Is it working?

It sure sounds like the ABS is not working properly.


- -----Original Message-----
From: Jose Pomposo Jr.
To: ford
Date: Monday, January 25, 1999 3:49 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Rear wheel ABS. Is it working?


>It rained here in Los Angeles last night and I had a chance to experience
>wet weather traction and braking ability on my new F-150. I have rear
wheel
>ABS but when I hit the brake fairly hard the rear wheels skidded for about
>three seconds. My older Chevy ('88 C1500) doesn't have ABS and has cheaper
>tires and it has never skidded during wet weather with the same braking
>force that I applied to the new Ford. I thought ABS was supposed to help
>prevent skidding? I also didn't feel the pedal pulsate like the manual
says
>it should, do you guys think that there is something wrong with my RWABS?
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jose P.
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:44:12 EST
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Rear brake line TSB

In a message dated 99-01-25 14:34:00 EST, you write:


i know its a good thing i have diesel!

RS

No letter yet but we have changed our whole fleet ourselves. We had 4-5
loose brake fluid. One was mine. One minute you have breaks. The next
you still have breaks but the petal goes slowly to the floor. I got quite
a few strokes before I ran totally out of fluid. It's a good thing the
diesels compression brake fairly well.

pk >>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:27:57 4
From: "Vaughn (VDB)"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB

I don't have the problem, but I did get
the letter....

Vaughn



i just recieved a letter in mail from ford (dearborn) on left
rear brake line causeing loss of fluid and softer pedal if
struck by stones or gravel at high way speed, if operated on
coarse roads. I will find out more tommorrow as i have to get
oil changed! It says 1/2 to full day to R&R line and a new
shield, no charge until july 31,1999

anyone else got this letter or problem?


Program No. 98b32

Ross Smith
9sec93cobra
99 F250SD PSD/SC/4x4
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:07:22 -0500
From: Dave
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB

Guys,

What MODEL Fords are we talking about?

Dave
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:33:40 -0600
From: "NinjaRider"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!

Hey Nathan,

Anything about '97 Ranger airboxes?

Peter.
- ----- Original Message -----
From: Union Auto
To:
Sent: Monday, January 25, 1999 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!


>We've replaced the air box on every 99 Super Duty with a Power Stroke
built
>before July. If you have one of these (Power Stroke built before 7-13-98)
>you should have your dealer replace the air box. The TSB talks about water
>which hasn't happened to us yet, but we've had one truck fill the air box
>with snow. We have many gravel roads around here and I had several people
>that would need new air filters every 3,000 miles. This new air box cures
>that problem. If your truck was built after 7-13 it already has this air
>box.
>
>Nathan
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Ruth
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Monday, January 25, 1999 1:23 AM
>Subject: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!
>
>
>>Hey all!
>>Thanks to all who replied and Nathan also, who may try this fix at his
>>dealership!
>>My Baltimore dealer said there was water getting inside the airbox and
>>when it got cold the filter was hard as a rock! There was a TSB update
>>on how to modify the airbox and relocate the opening. They said water
>>was coming up from the wheel well on the left side and getting into the
>>box, obviously when it got cold or freezing my filter was a solid block
>>of ice! The performed their fix and it has worked so far. I drove in
>>alot of rain last week and it cooled off and no more surging problems.
>>
>>Also, they researched to see if my truck has the temperature feature and
>>they said NO! They don't know why except that some early production
>>Lariat models have the overhead console, but no temperature option. All
>>the other features work. they tried programming the GEM module, but
>>they said it was not in there either. If anyone has any ideas on how to
>>hook it up, the dealer said they would order me a New overhaed console
>>for a later model and give it to me as an exchange. They said they
>>tried one from one on the lot with the temp feature.
>>
>>Thanks again!
>>Mike
>>99 SD SC PS 4X4 longbed
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:28:58 EST
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - rear brake line TSB

In a message dated 99-01-25 18:10:20 EST, you write:


Guys,

What MODEL Fords are we talking about?
>>

F250-F 550 4x4

RS
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:15:50 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!

The 99 PSD is the only thing I've ever heard of needing this. The reason is
that it takes its air in front of the wheel down low where it could pick up
water or dirt. The new box fixes this problem.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: NinjaRider
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Monday, January 25, 1999 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!


>Hey Nathan,
>
>Anything about '97 Ranger airboxes?
>
>Peter.
>----- Original Message -----
>From: Union Auto
>To:
>Sent: Monday, January 25, 1999 8:10 AM
>Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Surging 99 Powestroke FIXED!
>
>
>>We've replaced the air box on every 99 Super Duty with a Power Stroke
>built
>>before July. If you have one of these (Power Stroke built before 7-13-98)
>>you should have your dealer replace the air box. The TSB talks about
water
>>which hasn't happened to us yet, but we've had one truck fill the air box
>>with snow. We have many gravel roads around here and I had several people
>>that would need new air filters every 3,000 miles. This new air box cures
>>that problem. If your truck was built after 7-13 it already has this air
>>box.
>>
>>Nathan
>>


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:42:40 -0500
From: John Paul Stout
Subject: FTE 97up - SD 250 Crew Cab 4x4's

Hey gang, I'm gonna look into trading up my F150 Supercab XLT to a
F250 Crew Cab Super Duty 4x4, and I am wondering what people are
paying a month out there on leases for these monsters.

Thanks.

JP in Atlanta
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:35:05 PST
From: "Susan Ekstrom"
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS

Hi everyone,

Well, I went to a Ford dealer today to get some info on the F150. I am
going to order the F150,SC,139",4WD,XLT. I had a question about the
shift-on-the-fly. I've been reading the email lately that some of you
guys/gals have sent on whether one should get this or not. If I am not
mistaken, the manual shift requires locking the wheelhubs on the wheels
themselves? Or am I not right. The salesman told me the difference
between the two is that the manual has a shift type stick in the truck
and the electronic is a button. There is no locking of any hubs. I'm a
little confused. Can some of you who were talking about this please
explain this again? And also, if anyone has this type of truck, can you
help me out in what other options besides the usual, i.e. ac,pwr
locks/windows, etc, I should think about getting. I live in NJ. Should I
be concerned about their emissions pkgs? I will probably order the 4.6L
engine. Is the 5.4L better? I really can't afford super tires, but what
is a descent tire besides the standard? What about cab steps? Can I find
them cheaper elsewhere? Engine block heater? Is that really helpful? I'm
not sure about a trailer pkg. Maybe I'll hit the lottery some day and
tow my boat! Should I get one installed anyway? I do apologize if I've
asked so many questions. This will be my first real new big truck. One
that I've always wanted! Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks :-)

Sue

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:37:37 EST
From: ZCES1 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS

I have a F-150 XLT with the "Stick" shift to 4X4. Works well. It's all done
from the cab. There's no locking of hub on the outside. My dealer told me
that the push-button version was $125 extra.

BTW, anybody find the '99 XLT bucket seats to be uncomfortable? If so, what
did you do about it?

ZCES1
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:53:07 -0400
From: "Mitchell"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS

>
>Well, I went to a Ford dealer today to get some info on the F150. I am
>going to order the F150,SC,139",4WD,XLT.

That's what I got, mine's 98

>I had a question about the
>shift-on-the-fly. I've been reading the email lately that some of you
>guys/gals have sent on whether one should get this or not. If I am not
>mistaken, the manual shift requires locking the wheelhubs on the wheels
>themselves? Or am I not right. The salesman told me the difference
>between the two is that the manual has a shift type stick in the truck
>and the electronic is a button. There is no locking of any hubs. I'm a
>little confused. Can some of you who were talking about this please
>explain this again?

You can't get manual locking hubs anymore with an F150. The "manual shift"
is a conventional shift lever on the floor instead of the little twisty knob
on the dash. I like the stick myself. The wheel hubs themselves are
automatic locking. If I could have ordered manual (you get out in the mud
and lock them yourself) hubs I would have. I think manual hubs increase
flexibility by allowing me to tow my boat up a dry boat ramp in low range
transfercase without having the front hubs locked. Less stress when I try
to turn at the top of the ramp.

>And also, if anyone has this type of truck, can you
>help me out in what other options besides the usual, i.e. ac,pwr
>locks/windows, etc, I should think about getting. I live in NJ. Should I
>be concerned about their emissions pkgs? I will probably order the 4.6L
>engine. Is the 5.4L better?

I have a 4.6L (no complaints) with a limited slip rear axle, 3.55 gear
ratio, skid plates(I live in Maine and do some offroading trail work), HD
cooling, auto transmission, HD electrical, fog lights, 16" wheels
w/245/75/16 tires(I don't like the wrangler RTS tires much but that's what
it came with), 6CD changer, I bought an aftermarket cap by ARS, driving
lights, a Rhino lining for the bed, a K&N filtercharger and would like to
install a catback SS exhaust this spring.

>I really can't afford super tires, but what
>is a descent tire besides the standard?
I like BFG Allterrains but they were not available from Ford

> What about cab steps? Can I find
>them cheaper elsewhere?
Probably, but I like the look without them.

>Engine block heater? Is that really helpful?
Have you ever had an engine heater in NJ before? I have only had one in my
diesel VW. We don't see too many in gas engines in ME.

>I'm
>not sure about a trailer pkg. Maybe I'll hit the lottery some day and
>tow my boat! Should I get one installed anyway?

Get one it will extend the life of the transmission with the extra cooling
package.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:46:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Sapp
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS

- ---Susan Ekstrom wrote:
> I am going to order the F150,SC,139",4WD,XLT. I had a question about
the
> shift-on-the-fly. If I am not
> mistaken, the manual shift requires locking the wheelhubs on the
wheels
> themselves? Or am I not right. The salesman told me the difference
> between the two is that the manual has a shift type stick in the
truck
> and the electronic is a button. There is no locking of any kind.

The 1999 F-150 does not have the normal type of hub on either the ESOF
or the Stick. The wheels are always engaged. Ford used a center
disconnect type of front drive, which has been excellent on the Ranger.


> I will probably order the 4.6L
> engine. Is the 5.4L better?

I have a 1999 F-150 SC 139"wb 5.4l 4x4 ORP 3.73ls, and my grandfather
has a F-150 SC 139"wb 4.6l 4x2 3.55ls. After driving both of these
vehicles, I strongly recommend getting the 5.4l. It not only has more
horsepower & torque, but it also gets close to the same amount of mpg's.


>I really can't afford super tires, but what
> is a descent tire besides the standard?

If you get the ORP or Sport, the larger tires are standard and they
look pretty good too.


> What about cab steps? Can I find
> them cheaper elsewhere?

The Ford cabsteps look pretty good, but I bought chrome Westin nerf
bars for $299.00 & am extremely satisfied. They also protect the body
from door dings and parking lot type dents.



> Engine block heater? Is that really helpful?

I don't know because I live in Texas. It was in the high 70's today.


> I'm not sure about a trailer pkg. Maybe I'll hit the lottery some
day and tow my boat! Should I get one installed anyway

It never hurts to have it because you never know when you'll need it.
Also, that package includes a better radiator, alternator,
transmission cooler, & heavy duty battery.


>
> Thanks :-)
>
> Sue
>


I hope that helps!

Mark

BTW...You'll love your F-150.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:40:00 EST
From: KVS427 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: F150 ESOFS

Being fresh from the dealer lots and a proud owner of a 99 F-150 Lariet SC SB
ORP Flareside (w/ the works), I would suggest that you drive both motor types
before choosing.

The 4.6L is very sufficient, but there is a definite difference between the
two with the increased HP in the 5.4L this year. I went the 5.4L but like I
said, the 4.6 felt good too.

ORP includes the 17" tires so cab steps help with height and are "outboard" of
the rest of the body to protect from dings.

Thats a few quick thoughts... I'm still feeling out the rest of the truck, but
its got everything they'll put on one I think so maybe I can contribute more
later.

QUESTION? : My Flareside has tube style cab steps and it didn't come with
front mud flaps. Is this standard practice? It appears that there could be
some interference between the a mud flap and the cab steps and I just wondered
if this was the reason. Thanks!

Kevin
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.