97up-list-digest Saturday, January 2 1999 Volume 01 : Number 328



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - Re:pickup vs chassis cab
FTE 97up - Use the Subject Line
FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs
FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals
FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs
FTE 97up - Cab chassis or not?
Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals
FTE 97up - Re: Thanks!
FTE 97up - ADMIN: Web site updates
Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals
Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals
Re: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs
FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter
Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter
Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter
Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter
FTE 97up - 4x2
Re: FTE 97up - 4x2
Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals
Re: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs
FTE 97up - Front Axle Noise on F-250/350 SuperDuty 4X4
Re: FTE 97up - Front Axle Noise on F-250/350 SuperDuty 4X4
Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter
Re: FTE 97up - which axle ratio

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 06:58:56 -0500
From: Lee Haefele
Subject: FTE 97up - Re:pickup vs chassis cab

>
> I'm actually in the same place as you - deciding between a new
> F350 pickup vs chassis cab. There are several small things
> about the chassis cab that I like better, but the one, IMO
> big disadvantage of the chassis cab is that there is no
> room for a spare tire - I don't want to have to carry this
> on the flatbed. This has me leaning towards the pickup.
> In either case, it'll be a heckuva truck!

If you intend to carry much weight, the chassis cab has much larger
frame rails & rear springs. What I don't understand is how they give
the DRW pickup a 11,200 GVW with those little 6 leaf springs. I
occassionally load my F-350 chassis cabs to 15,000 lbs & they drive just
fine.
Lee Haefele
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:09:10 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Use the Subject Line

I am suprised no one has mentioned this, but it seems that very few people
use or change the e-mail Subject Line, especially when responding to
comments. If you are the author of a comment, it is very helpful to all if
you appropriately title your work and put that on the subject line. If you
are directly responding to the original comment, you often do not need to
change the subject line; however, if your response includes other facts or
comments, please change the subject line to reflect that.


Keith




- -----Original Message-----
From: Jean Marc Chartier
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 30, 1998 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Posting of reply (was Re: Exhaust for V10)


>Scot Evanson wrote:
>>
>> While USNET _messages_ can (and often do) arrive at the server "out of
>> order" positioning a reply on top/above quoted text "brought forward" in
>> the new message will only enhance the speed of reviewing the newly
>> posted message by the largest population.
>>
>> To one just joining the thread, more information can be found "below".
>> To those following the thread (almost all of those involved) there is no
>> need to scroll to the bottom of _every_ window to find the new response.
>>
>> Isn't this (speed) the reason for your initial comment on the length of
>> messages?
>>
>> SAE
>>
>> The accepted practice in USENET news groups is to pair down the
>> > included test to the pertinent points, as you say. But the new
comments
>> > should be added BELOW each point. This is because USENET messages can
>> > arrive to the news servers out of order, so you need to be able to read
the
>> > pertinent points before you read the reply.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Erik Veit **** zombie best.com **** http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.best.com/~zombie
>> >
>
> I prefer the reply be posted on the bottom of the page as I
>normally read from the top of the page to the bottom. I
>receive many e-mails a day and the subject as you may note
>above can be deceiving. Reading the original post helps
>refresh my memory of what was said.
>
>Kindest regards
>
>Jean Marc Chartier
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 08:10:50 -0900 (AKST)
From: akmomndad webtv.net (Joseph Veres)
Subject: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs

Hi Gene -

I got my truck on Monday, 12-28-98 also. I ordered it on 11-1-98, and
it was built on 11-30-98. Less than 2 months all together - from what
I've been reading, I got real lucky!!

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 08:28:01 -0900
From: Perry Klein
Subject: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals

Do any of you Lariat owners have a rubber seal that runs along the bottom
of your door?
My F350 XL work truck has one but my F250 lariat at home does not.
Consequently there is a ton
of dirt that builds up behind the door. Is it possible that they forgot to
add this piece?

Perry Klein
Dowell Lab
Prudhoe Bay, Ak
ph# (907)-659-2444
Fax# (907)-659-2538
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 08:40:45 -0900 (AKST)
From: akmomndad webtv.net (Joseph Veres)
Subject: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs

Thanks Nathan -

To conffirm, contrary to what the service manager said, I can go from
2WD to 4WD (high range) at speeds above 20mph while the hubs are in
"automatic" - it wouldn't be of much value if I can't.

Also, what about the delay times he addressed? Is there a delay of
around 30 seconds when switching to 4WD while the hubs are in the "auto"
position, and about 5 seconds when they're in "lock".

The reason this is important to me is that up here in Alaska, we
frequently are driving down the road and suddenly run into a section of
"black" or "glare" ice - it becomes just like a skating rink! With past
4X4s, when I went to 4X4 high, the response was immediate, and I was in
control. Is this not the case with "Shift on the Fly?"

If there are delays, please advise as to about how long, both in "auto,"
and in "lock," so I can try to anticipate how long I might be in one of
those "exciting" slides before I gain control again. If what he says is
true, it might be best for me to remain in the "lock" position in the
wintertime???

Thanks again for your help Nathan - believe me, you are appreciated!


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:17:07 -0500
From: Claude King
Subject: FTE 97up - Cab chassis or not?

I was going to order a cab chassis but a couple of things made me decide
otherwise. First the cab/chassis has a 60 inch cab to axle distance and the box
base is only 56" CA. Didn't think this would make much difference until I
checked with my body company Reading. Two dealers quote me a $1000.00
difference between a 56 and 60 bodies. The difference is a 8' bed or a 9'bed.
Since I really didn't need 9' [truck is a crew cab, already long enough] I went
with the box in the back. Ford won't delete the bed on a SRW 350 so I thought
I was going to get stuck with the box. Both dealers offered me a 300 trade in
for it. More than Ford would have deleted. Also there is the spare tire problem
and I don't like that gas tank sitting at the tail. I've heard tha Reese makes
a receiver hitch for the cab chassis but I'm sure it will cost more than the
one ford is providing. One negative is that the utility body will sit higher
off the frame by about 2 inches due to the curved frame rails. My particular
setup is that I want a low profile utility body that allows 5th wheel or a
slide in camper to be used on a srw. Just didn't want to get involved with 6
wheel tire rotation or that wide of a utility body. With so many models from
Ford we all can get just what we think we need.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:41:45 -0800
From: "Neil or Debbie Plocek"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals

I do not have the seal on the door of my 250 Super Duty either. The holes
are punched in the door for them, so you could order a set and snap them on
in a second.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 12:02:51 PST
From: "Susan Ekstrom"
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: Thanks!

Hello again everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input. You guys/gals are
great.....so helpful. I look forward to corresponding with everyone in
the future. I plan on purchasing my Ford by March. My leased Dodge (2nd
time with them...YUCK!) is due for return then.

Thanks again!

Sue

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 16:23:58 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 97up - ADMIN: Web site updates

1. 47 new pictures added to pictorial. Two new pictorial sections created
(One for Rancheros and the other for 1999+ Superduty's). Over 325
trucks are now featured in our pictorials.

2. Several links added.

3. Classifieds reconfigured to make browsing easier.

Later,
Ken Payne
CoAdmin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.ford-trucks.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 17:16:00 -0500
From: "Todd E. Schreiber"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals

Perry,

I have a F250 XLT Superduty that has the rubber seal. It did however get
frozen over and subsequently ripped out. Its possible that you or someone else
opened the door and rippied the thing off without realizing it, leaving it
sitting in a parking lot or something, or maybe they just forgot to put it on
your truck. Either way, Ford will replace it. They had to order me a new one,
took about a week.

Perry Klein wrote:

> Do any of you Lariat owners have a rubber seal that runs along the bottom
> of your door?
> My F350 XL work truck has one but my F250 lariat at home does not.
> Consequently there is a ton
> of dirt that builds up behind the door. Is it possible that they forgot to
> add this piece?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 16:14:20 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals

It probably got pulled off during shipping or something. Your dealer should
put one on with no problems.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: Perry Klein
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 11:41 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals


>Do any of you Lariat owners have a rubber seal that runs along the bottom
>of your door?
>My F350 XL work truck has one but my F250 lariat at home does not.
>Consequently there is a ton
>of dirt that builds up behind the door. Is it possible that they forgot to
>add this piece?
>
>Perry Klein
>Dowell Lab


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 16:11:19 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs

There is a very short delay, but not usually 30 seconds. The last Demo
Super Duty I had was usually in 4x4 with a few seconds. Once in a while it
would take maybe 10 seconds. GM hubs usually take about 30 seconds because
they rely on heat, but The Auto hubs (on new body style trucks) are vacuum
operated and don't take very long. You should be able to learn fairly
easily how long it takes just by tinkering with it.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Veres
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 11:51 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs


Thanks Nathan -

To conffirm, contrary to what the service manager said, I can go from
2WD to 4WD (high range) at speeds above 20mph while the hubs are in
"automatic" - it wouldn't be of much value if I can't.

Also, what about the delay times he addressed? Is there a delay of
around 30 seconds when switching to 4WD while the hubs are in the "auto"
position, and about 5 seconds when they're in "lock".

The reason this is important to me is that up here in Alaska, we
frequently are driving down the road and suddenly run into a section of
"black" or "glare" ice - it becomes just like a skating rink! With past
4X4s, when I went to 4X4 high, the response was immediate, and I was in
control. Is this not the case with "Shift on the Fly?"

If there are delays, please advise as to about how long, both in "auto,"
and in "lock," so I can try to anticipate how long I might be in one of
those "exciting" slides before I gain control again. If what he says is
true, it might be best for me to remain in the "lock" position in the
wintertime???

Thanks again for your help Nathan - believe me, you are appreciated!



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 18:38:17 -0400
From: Mark MacDonald
Subject: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter

I have a 1998 F-150 XLT STX with a 4.2L V6 with a 5 speed tranny. On
occasion the clutch "chatters" when pulling away from a stop. I have tried
to find a rhyme or reason to this (ie when its cold, wet, warm, etc) but
can not find any. The only time it happens is when Im NOT at the
dealership, and by the time I get there to show them, its not doing it
anymore, and they tell me to take it home. It doesnt do it all the time,
only now and then. Usually when I drive for a while, it goes away. The
chatter is so bad at times that it shakes the whole dash. I have been
under the truck, and can not see any evidence of fluid leaks, and the
clutch only has 5000 KM on it. It seems like it has done it since it was
new, but I have only realized it lately. I had another truck out for a test
drive from the dealership, and it seemed like it was doing the same thing,
but it was not as evident.

Does anyone have similar problems?

Thanks for any input.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:53:57 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter

Sometimes certain clutching "techniques" will cause clutches to respond
different than expected. If you can, try altering your clutch method by
speeding up your release (engaging the clutch) while simultaneously giving
it more gas. This will shorten the time the clutch is in the slip-mode
which is when chattering usually occurs. Of course, a properly set-up
clutch should not chatter even when "slow" clutched; however, those prone to
chatter will usually "behave" much better when engaged promptly and
positively.


Keith


- -----Original Message-----
From: Mark MacDonald
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 5:35 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter


>I have a 1998 F-150 XLT STX with a 4.2L V6 with a 5 speed tranny. On
>occasion the clutch "chatters" when pulling away from a stop. I have tried
>to find a rhyme or reason to this (ie when its cold, wet, warm, etc) but
>can not find any. The only time it happens is when Im NOT at the
>dealership, and by the time I get there to show them, its not doing it
>anymore, and they tell me to take it home. It doesnt do it all the time,
>only now and then. Usually when I drive for a while, it goes away. The
>chatter is so bad at times that it shakes the whole dash. I have been
>under the truck, and can not see any evidence of fluid leaks, and the
>clutch only has 5000 KM on it. It seems like it has done it since it was
>new, but I have only realized it lately. I had another truck out for a test
>drive from the dealership, and it seemed like it was doing the same thing,
>but it was not as evident.
>
>Does anyone have similar problems?
>
>Thanks for any input.
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 16:04:04 PST
From: "Frank Spor"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter

I don't know how to put this delicately....But I have had the same, or
similar problems with every Ford pickup with a manual transmission that
I have ever owned.....
In the course of the last ten years, I have tried new clutches, rebuilt
clutches, new motor mounts, universal joints, whole driveshafts....I
never did effect a complete cure.....New flywheels....The list seems
endless

It always seemed to be worst when the truck had run for 4 to six hours
continuously.

Just my $.02

Happy New year

Frank

______________________________________________________
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:12:39 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter

Frank, as I mentioned in my previous message response for this thread,
sometimes you must experiment with technique. In my experience most cases
of clutch chatter result from slow engagement and incorrect (too little)
accelerator. Do not take this as a comment on your particular shifting
ability, the fault is in the clutch design, not the driver's input. Almost
any type of clutch action (slow, medium or fast) should result in smooth
operation if the clutch / pressure plate / flywheel / throwout bearing /
pilot bushing / clutch fork / transmission input shaft / etc. "system" is
properly designed. I am just recommending a method that I have found
reduces and/or eliminates chatter.


Keith

- -----Original Message-----
From: Frank Spor
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter


>I don't know how to put this delicately....But I have had the same, or
>similar problems with every Ford pickup with a manual transmission that
>I have ever owned.....
>In the course of the last ten years, I have tried new clutches, rebuilt
>clutches, new motor mounts, universal joints, whole driveshafts....I
>never did effect a complete cure.....New flywheels....The list seems
>endless
>
>It always seemed to be worst when the truck had run for 4 to six hours
>continuously.
>
>Just my $.02
>
>Happy New year
>
>Frank
>
>______________________________________________________
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 04:08:31 -0000
From: "dennis"
Subject: FTE 97up - 4x2

what actually is a 4x2
how does it differ from a regular truck?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:11:00 -0600 (CST)
From: dfloyd fnord.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 4x2

>
> what actually is a 4x2
> how does it differ from a regular truck?
>

A 4x2 means that the truck is rear wheel drive, compared to 4x4, or four
wheel drive.

The advantage of a 4x4 is a taller ride height, and more controlling ability
of the truck, as well as the ability to shift into a lower gear ratio for
more torque (helps when off-roading, as well as pulling something very
heavy in an emergency).

The advantage of 4x2 is cost, and fewer parts to break.


- --
Douglas R. Floyd


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 21:03:26 -0800
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F250 SD door seals

Perry I have a Lariat Crewcab,F250. none of the doors have a rubber at the
bottom!

Perry Klein wrote:

> Do any of you Lariat owners have a rubber seal that runs along the bottom
> of your door?
> My F350 XL work truck has one but my F250 lariat at home does not.
> Consequently there is a ton
> of dirt that builds up behind the door. Is it possible that they forgot to
> add this piece?
>
> Perry Klein
> Dowell Lab
> Prudhoe Bay, Ak
> ph# (907)-659-2444
> Fax# (907)-659-2538
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 21:12:27 -0800
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs

Joseph, I used my shift on the fly today for the first time!
I here noise comming from the front axle, is this normal?
it wasnt with any of my 150s I have owend
it is kind of like a howl seems to be comming from the leftside ?

Joseph Veres wrote:

> Thanks Nathan -
>
> To conffirm, contrary to what the service manager said, I can go from
> 2WD to 4WD (high range) at speeds above 20mph while the hubs are in
> "automatic" - it wouldn't be of much value if I can't.
>
> Also, what about the delay times he addressed? Is there a delay of
> around 30 seconds when switching to 4WD while the hubs are in the "auto"
> position, and about 5 seconds when they're in "lock".
>
> The reason this is important to me is that up here in Alaska, we
> frequently are driving down the road and suddenly run into a section of
> "black" or "glare" ice - it becomes just like a skating rink! With past
> 4X4s, when I went to 4X4 high, the response was immediate, and I was in
> control. Is this not the case with "Shift on the Fly?"
>
> If there are delays, please advise as to about how long, both in "auto,"
> and in "lock," so I can try to anticipate how long I might be in one of
> those "exciting" slides before I gain control again. If what he says is
> true, it might be best for me to remain in the "lock" position in the
> wintertime???
>
> Thanks again for your help Nathan - believe me, you are appreciated!
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:59:01 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Front Axle Noise on F-250/350 SuperDuty 4X4

I have the F-350 SuperDuty / 4X4 / XLT / 6.8 V-10 / LongBed / SuperCab /
3.73LS / TrailerTow / Snowplow Package / Off-Road / etc. I notice a light
to moderate gear "whirr" from the front axle when in 4-Wheel High (or
4-Wheel Low) as I let off the Gas; it quiets down somewhat as I step on the
gas. Has anyone else noticed this on their 4X4 SuperDuty??

Keith


- -----Original Message-----
From: Gene Ball
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs


>Joseph, I used my shift on the fly today for the first time!
>I here noise comming from the front axle, is this normal?
>it wasnt with any of my 150s I have owend
>it is kind of like a howl seems to be comming from the leftside ?
>
>Joseph Veres wrote:
>
>> Thanks Nathan -
>>
>> To conffirm, contrary to what the service manager said, I can go from
>> 2WD to 4WD (high range) at speeds above 20mph while the hubs are in
>> "automatic" - it wouldn't be of much value if I can't.
>>
>> Also, what about the delay times he addressed? Is there a delay of
>> around 30 seconds when switching to 4WD while the hubs are in the "auto"
>> position, and about 5 seconds when they're in "lock".
>>
>> The reason this is important to me is that up here in Alaska, we
>> frequently are driving down the road and suddenly run into a section of
>> "black" or "glare" ice - it becomes just like a skating rink! With past
>> 4X4s, when I went to 4X4 high, the response was immediate, and I was in
>> control. Is this not the case with "Shift on the Fly?"
>>
>> If there are delays, please advise as to about how long, both in "auto,"
>> and in "lock," so I can try to anticipate how long I might be in one of
>> those "exciting" slides before I gain control again. If what he says is
>> true, it might be best for me to remain in the "lock" position in the
>> wintertime???
>>
>> Thanks again for your help Nathan - believe me, you are appreciated!
>>
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:26:43 -0800
From: Gene Ball
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Front Axle Noise on F-250/350 SuperDuty 4X4

Keith, My truck is doing the same thing, and it is bugging the hell out of
me!!!
I havent had my truck a week yet! Today was the first day I had used the 4x4,
So I just noticed the noise today.
SD F250,4X4,crewcab,shortbed,Lariat,V10,3.73LS

Keith Veren wrote:

> I have the F-350 SuperDuty / 4X4 / XLT / 6.8 V-10 / LongBed / SuperCab /
> 3.73LS / TrailerTow / Snowplow Package / Off-Road / etc. I notice a light
> to moderate gear "whirr" from the front axle when in 4-Wheel High (or
> 4-Wheel Low) as I let off the Gas; it quiets down somewhat as I step on the
> gas. Has anyone else noticed this on their 4X4 SuperDuty??
>
> Keith
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gene Ball
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Friday, January 01, 1999 10:11 PM
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Super Duty Hubs
>
> >Joseph, I used my shift on the fly today for the first time!
> >I here noise comming from the front axle, is this normal?
> >it wasnt with any of my 150s I have owend
> >it is kind of like a howl seems to be comming from the leftside ?
> >
> >Joseph Veres wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Nathan -
> >>
> >> To conffirm, contrary to what the service manager said, I can go from
> >> 2WD to 4WD (high range) at speeds above 20mph while the hubs are in
> >> "automatic" - it wouldn't be of much value if I can't.
> >>
> >> Also, what about the delay times he addressed? Is there a delay of
> >> around 30 seconds when switching to 4WD while the hubs are in the "auto"
> >> position, and about 5 seconds when they're in "lock".
> >>
> >> The reason this is important to me is that up here in Alaska, we
> >> frequently are driving down the road and suddenly run into a section of
> >> "black" or "glare" ice - it becomes just like a skating rink! With past
> >> 4X4s, when I went to 4X4 high, the response was immediate, and I was in
> >> control. Is this not the case with "Shift on the Fly?"
> >>
> >> If there are delays, please advise as to about how long, both in "auto,"
> >> and in "lock," so I can try to anticipate how long I might be in one of
> >> those "exciting" slides before I gain control again. If what he says is
> >> true, it might be best for me to remain in the "lock" position in the
> >> wintertime???
> >>
> >> Thanks again for your help Nathan - believe me, you are appreciated!
> >>
> >>
> >> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> >
> >
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:45:06 -0600
From: Karl Nyhus
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Clutch Chatter

Mark MacDonald wrote:
> the clutch "chatters" when pulling away from a stop.

I think you may just have to drive it a little differently. My clutch is
touchy when pulling away from a start, also. I've learned to give it
just the right amount of throttle and to shorten the time it takes me to
engage the clutch. I've gotten pretty good at it when I'm paying
attention, but I still screw up now and then when my mind wanders or the
radio is blasting too loud to hear the engine speed (I don't have a
tach).

Karl Nyhus, Minneapolis, MN--1997 Pacific Green Ford F-150 SuperCab XL,
SB, 4.6L V8, 4WD, 5-speed, 3.08, LT255/70R16D BFG All-Terrain T/A on
steel, Better Built toolbox, Line-X spray-in liner, rust-proofed,
undercoated
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.