97up-list-digest Thursday, December 10 1998 Volume 01 : Number 304



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - Re> Gas Pedal Spring
FTE 97up - ADMIN: Chat
FTE 97up - Ken Payne
FTE 97up - Overhead Console
FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?
Re: FTE 97up - ADMIN: Chat
FTE 97up - Re: FTE 97up- first tow recommendations
Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?
Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?
Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?
Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?
FTE 97up - Tachometer--manual transmission
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?**V10??**
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - ADMIN: Chat
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Super Crewzer
FTE 97up - Performance Questions????
Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
Re: FTE 97up - Tachometer--manual transmission
Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks
FTE 97up - F-150 a/c drain is dripping onto exhaust pipe

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 07:03:29 -0500
From: Lee Haefele
Subject: FTE 97up - Re> Gas Pedal Spring

Just bend the metal bar that the spring attaches to, to lengthen the
spring. I did this on my SD, it helps avoid excess shifting (auto) &
makes it easier to hold a stedy speed. Mine was under plastic cover at
throttle body.
Lee Haefele

> Is there some type of tension device such as a spring which can be replaced
> to make the gas pedal a little more firm? My 1998 F150 SC 4.6L's gas pedal
> is so "lite" to the touch that offroad I get pretty bad surges from my foot
> bouncing on the gas pedal. My friend just purchased a 99 Dodge Dakota EC
> w/318 V8 and his gas pedal exhibits significantly more resistance/effort and
> is therefore less sensitive to bumps in the road.
>
> Steve
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 13:00:16 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: FTE 97up - ADMIN: Chat

Notes on our web chat:

1. Windows95-Netscape will sometimes beep in versions prior to
4.0b3 when you hit the enter key.

2. Unfortunately, the implementation of earlier (pre 4.0) Java
on the Macintosh browsers leaves a lot to be desired. These
Macintosh versions of Netscape have some serious memory
problems. An article discussing some of the problems with
these versions can be found at:

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.news.com/Rumormill/Archives/rum10_11_96.html

Newer versions should work, but may have performance problems.

3. AOL uses a proxy server to access the Internet. The vast
majority of ISPs don't. With a proxy server, you are not
connected directly to the Internet. Chat will not work
with many proxy servers (including AOL's) and some
firewalls.

4. For PCs: To use it, you must be running Internet Explorer
3.0 (or later) or Netscape Navigator 3.0 (or later), or
another Java-enabled browser. For best results, we highly
recommend Internet Explorer 3.02 and Netscape 3.01, both
of which contain crucial bug fixes over their 3.0 versions.

5. Netscape Navigator 3.0 users (Standard or Gold versions):
You may very well experience a browser crash. This is due
to a memory leak problem in the Navigator software -- not
the Java code. We recommend upgrading to at least version
3.01.

6. Netscape 3.x browsers on Linux have major Java problems.

7. Sometimes Internet Explorer 4 acts flakey (crashes).

8. When the telnet version is released (soon), you can use
telnet to chat instead of your browser. This may work
with AOL too.

9. If AOL does not work with telnet, we may consider adding
HTML CGI chat. This option will only be available if we
can afford to upgrade our server because HTML CGI chat
places an enormous load on the system.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 12:38:47 -0800
From: Rod Loewen
Subject: FTE 97up - Ken Payne

Ken, I'm sorry. I replied to a couple specific items in Vol 01, Number
303 and then I forgot to delete the rest of the whole volume before I
sent it. Please help me out and either throw the whole thing out or
delete the volume. Thanks
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:28:13 -0800
From: "Jose Pomposo Jr."
Subject: FTE 97up - Overhead Console

Does anybody know if I can install an overhead console in a 98 F-150
SuperCab XLT? I like the one that the Expedition has and I would like to
put one in but I don't know if it will fit. If so how would I be able to
puchase one? Dealer perhaps?

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 14:17:10 -0800
From: "Kirk Werner"
Subject: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?

I get the impression that many of you who own the new Super Duties seem to
like them real well... That's good to know. Perhaps of more value to a
prospective buyer is to hear what you do NOT like. Specifically if you own
an F250 SD V10, what, if anything, do you not like about it?

I think I'm about ready to get outa Dodge.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:09:29 EST
From: JPatte5238 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - ADMIN: Chat

Ken,

It looks like the program that you have purchase isn't Internet friendly. Get
a refund and go with something else.

Your Friend

AOL John Patterson
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:21:54 EST
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Re: FTE 97up- first tow recommendations

Tommorrow it looks like i will be towing my old 89 F 150 4x4 about 350 miles
to sell, i have rented a U haul trailer(ugh) to put it on because my car
trailer is not here at present time.
So anyways, it looks like i will have about 6-8k behind my F250 SD 4x4 PSD
w/ 2500 miles on the clock.
I used to tow in 3rd all the time with my AOD F150, but would like some input
from the list on OD or No OD for the F 250 SD PSD 4x4. I know it will tow it
easily from what i hear you guys are pulling, but I just dont know alot about
this new trans, i am more used to 3spd auto (C4, C6).

thanks in advance

Ross S.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:45:00 -0500
From: Chad Royse
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?

I swear my biggest complaint is, there are only two cup holders in the entire
supercab truck. I currently have no other complaints.

Chad
99 250SD V-10 SC 4.30 4R100 4x4 2cup-holders

Kirk Werner wrote:

> I get the impression that many of you who own the new Super Duties seem to
> like them real well... That's good to know. Perhaps of more value to a
> prospective buyer is to hear what you do NOT like. Specifically if you own
> an F250 SD V10, what, if anything, do you not like about it?
>
> I think I'm about ready to get outa Dodge.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:07:14 -0600 (CST)
From: "Joseph L. Casey"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?

I have driven about 9,000 miles with an F-350 Supercab Powerstoke 1999. No
problems; but, it might be better if the turning ratio or radius were
tighter/smaller.

It rides fine--much better than previous pickups, pulls a 5th wheel better
than the 1989 460, and, I am very eager to spend all that money on it for
its purchase price!

All said, we do like it very much.

At 02:17 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>
>
>I get the impression that many of you who own the new Super Duties seem to
>like them real well... That's good to know. Perhaps of more value to a
>prospective buyer is to hear what you do NOT like. Specifically if you own
>an F250 SD V10, what, if anything, do you not like about it?
>
>I think I'm about ready to get outa Dodge.
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:01:45 -0500
From: "Eddie Pettit"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?

There are 4 in my SuperCab. 2 in the dash. One on the wall behind the
driver and one on the bottom of the third door in the pocket on the
passenger's side. The 2 in the back only hold cans, I think. I don't
really remember anything other than the fact that they are there.

I do know the one behind the driver's seat is perfect as a holder for a
magnetic mount antenna used in one of those emergency kits.

Eddie Pettit
Midlothian VA
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://surf.to/my97F150/

From: Chad Royse

>I swear my biggest complaint is, there are only two cup holders in the
entire
>supercab truck. I currently have no other complaints.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:02:20 -0700
From: "Brandt Dennehy"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?

I have a Superduty F-250 Supercab V-10 Shortbox with the 3.73 axle ratio and
3000 miles. The only thing that I don't like about it so far are the
standard (no extra charge) tires that came with it....not very practicle for
a truck (street tires). My gas mileage has fluctuated between 10.5mpg and
14.5mpg, depending upon speed and conditions, so the mileage could be a bit
better, but what do you expect with a v-10? Nice truck!!

- -Brandt


- -----Original Message-----
From: Joseph L. Casey
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?


>I have driven about 9,000 miles with an F-350 Supercab Powerstoke 1999. No
>problems; but, it might be better if the turning ratio or radius were
>tighter/smaller.
>
>It rides fine--much better than previous pickups, pulls a 5th wheel better
>than the 1989 460, and, I am very eager to spend all that money on it for
>its purchase price!
>
>All said, we do like it very much.
>
>At 02:17 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>
>>
>>I get the impression that many of you who own the new Super Duties seem to
>>like them real well... That's good to know. Perhaps of more value to a
>>prospective buyer is to hear what you do NOT like. Specifically if you
own
>>an F250 SD V10, what, if anything, do you not like about it?
>>
>>I think I'm about ready to get outa Dodge.
>>
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:09:08 -0700
From: "Brandt Dennehy"
Subject: FTE 97up - Tachometer--manual transmission

I was driving along with a friend of mine last night in my Superduty V-10
when he looked at my tach. and said, "Doesn't it redline?" Well, obviously
it must redline, but there is no redline marking on my tachometer. Do you
have to exceed the tach readings in order to redline or what is the max. RPM
I should do without harming the engine?

Secondly, I have the 5speed manual 3.73 axle ratio. I'm not sure if it is
supposed to make this sound or not, but whenever I hit the clutch, I get
kind of a clinking noise (sounds like the release of the gears...sounds like
there is too much play between the connection or something)....I have very
few auto knowledge, so any input as to whether or not I should be concerned
about this would be very helpful...
Thanks again,

Brandt

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:07:27 EST
From: ROBBCWZ aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

In a message dated 12/8/98 10:08:38 PM Central Standard Time,
rrpalmer eatel.net writes:


have to give them credit for that....and they did give me a '99 Taurus while
my truck is there (2 days so far). I will get it back tomorrow. ( Just hope
they did a good job on the repair.....ill let you all know)

Ron >>


Ron:

Maybe you'd be better off keeping the car. Trucks are made to be "used" and
will inevitably end up getting a little "scarred" - a scratch is a testament
to correct usage! So if a little scratch bothers you maybe you should just
keep the car.

"The Aggravator!"
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:24:02 -0800
From: "Alan Wilson"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?**V10??**

Brandt Dennehy wrote:

> I have a Superduty F-250 Supercab V-10 Shortbox ...

> My gas mileage has fluctuated between 10.5mpg and

> 14.5mpg, depending upon speed and conditions, so the mileage could be a bit
> better, but what do you expect with a v-10? Nice truck!!
>

Why would you get a V10 anyway? What uses do you use it for?

Just curious. It seems to take a heavy hit when it comes to gas mileage. Is it
worth it???

> ---

Alan Wilson



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:54:53 -0500
From: "Eddie Pettit"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

I'm with Ron, I don't want scratches on my truck either! I'm really amazed
at your attitude, I think he should he be concerned about the dealer
scratching his truck. I would be. I also think the dealer should be taking
extreme care with any vehicle left in their care regardless of type.

I know my truck will get scratched but when it does I want to be the one to
have put it there. If you think I baby my truck, just visit my site listed
below.

Eddie Pettit
Midlothian VA
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://surf.to/my97F150/

>Ron wrote:
>The dealer is actually taking the responsibility to fix the damage, so I do
> have to give them credit for that....and they did give me a '99 Taurus
while
> my truck is there (2 days so far). I will get it back tomorrow. ( Just
hope
> they did a good job on the repair.....ill let you all know)


>Then Robbcwz wrote:
>Maybe you'd be better off keeping the car. Trucks are made to be "used"
and
>will inevitably end up getting a little "scarred" - a scratch is a
testament
>to correct usage! So if a little scratch bothers you maybe you should just
>keep the car.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:28:34 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - ADMIN: Chat

At 05:09 PM 12/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Ken,
>
>It looks like the program that you have purchase isn't Internet friendly. Get
>a refund and go with something else.

Its very Internet friendly. Over 90% of the Internet browsers in use
can use the chat with no problems. AOL is not the Internet (not by a
long shot).

The chat engine was free. When the list members are willing to send
me some cash to buy another chat engine, I will. For 1997 through
the present FTE is thousands of dollars in the hole. Would you like
to volunteer the first check? Suddenly it gets very quiet......

Ken Payne
Admin





== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:40:32 -0800
From: "Michael D. Sheridan"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

a scratch is a
> testament
> >to correct usage!

I can't believe what is printed above. Quick, someone
tell me I am dreaming!

Michael
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:46:06 -0500
From: Ken Payne
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

At 05:40 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>a scratch is a
>> testament
>> >to correct usage!
>
>I can't believe what is printed above. Quick, someone
>tell me I am dreaming!
>
>Michael

I can believe it. Whatever happened to a truck being a
truck instead of a status symbol for the neighbors to
gawk at? You'd be amazed at how many emails I've gotten
from women (and men, this is even more pathetic) complaining
how their new truck doesn't handle like the 1000 lb rice
burner they own.

I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people who buy a new
truck will never have more than 100lbs in the back. And
during the period of ownership, it'll only haul that 100lbs
maybe 3-4 times.

Ken Payne
Admin


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:12:30 -0800
From: "Michael D. Sheridan"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

Ken Payne wrote:
>
> At 05:40 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >a scratch is a
> >> testament
> >> >to correct usage!
> >
> >I can't believe what is printed above. Quick, someone
> >tell me I am dreaming!
> >
> >Michael
>
> I can believe it. Whatever happened to a truck being a
> truck instead of a status symbol for the neighbors to
> gawk at? You'd be amazed at how many emails I've gotten
> from women (and men, this is even more pathetic) complaining
> how their new truck doesn't handle like the 1000 lb rice
> burner they own.
>
> I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people who buy a new
> truck will never have more than 100lbs in the back. And
> during the period of ownership, it'll only haul that 100lbs
> maybe 3-4 times.
>
> Ken Payne
> Admin

I am all for whatever it is being what it's supposed to be
but a scratch indicates damage and possible rust and that I
am against especially with the price of body and paint work
being what it is.

Michael
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:58:21 -0600
From: Glenn See
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

Ken,
You pretty well expressed my sentiments. I have worn cowboy boots for fifty
years, started my working days managing some fairly large ranches. When the
movie, "Urban Cowboy" came out the price of western wear skyrocketed.

Now everyone is driving pickups, both genders, and GM, Ford, and Dodge are
cashing in. Some of these 4X4 owners have to drive a hundred miles to find
a mud hole.

I had a friend who broke in his new pickups by loading a spike-toothed
harrow crosswise on the bed and then tied a tractor to the harrow and drug
it off. He never worried about get it scratched.

As the man said when he kissed the cow--- "everyone to his own taste"

Glenn (still like my F150, SC, XLT, with an 8' bed) rides like a
Afro-American hearse.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:22:21 EST
From: RAMWORKER aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Super Crewzer

Hi List,

This link showed up on Usenet at: alt.autos.dodge.trucks this evening and I
thought you might be interested.

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://blueovalnews.com/index.html/super_crewzer.htm

No offense meant to anyone, but I'll take mine with the Caterpillar 7.2 liter,
250 hp, 660 torque engine. Apparently, the high torque version is not
available in this truck, it would be killer with the 860 torque engine. See
the Caterpillar web site for more information.

Best Regards,
Robert
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:40:19 EST
From: Mlovett214 aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Performance Questions????

I have a 97 F-150 Short wheel base, regular cab, 2wd, 3.55 rear, and 5.4. I
am interested in knowing its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. All the magazines I
read never show regular cab short wheel base. Has anyone run there truck
(with similar conf.) at there local dragstrip. Numbers would be appreciated?
Thanks,
Mike
South Carolina
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:22:44 -0800
From: "Jose Pomposo Jr."
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?

Actually there are six available if you have the center console.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Pettit
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Crazt bout a Ford truck?


>There are 4 in my SuperCab. 2 in the dash. One on the wall behind the
>driver and one on the bottom of the third door in the pocket on the
>passenger's side. The 2 in the back only hold cans, I think. I don't
>really remember anything other than the fact that they are there.
>
>I do know the one behind the driver's seat is perfect as a holder for a
>magnetic mount antenna used in one of those emergency kits.
>
>Eddie Pettit
>Midlothian VA
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://surf.to/my97F150/
>
>From: Chad Royse
>
>>I swear my biggest complaint is, there are only two cup holders in the
>entire
>>supercab truck. I currently have no other complaints.
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:29:13 -0800
From: "Jose Pomposo Jr."
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

I must agree with Ken. I own a landscaping business and generally keep my
trucks 15+ years and I can tell you that my brand new shiny truck will have
the fate of my 1972 F-100. Scratched, dented, crashed, and even rust. Not
to mention the tore up interior. Those nice captains chairs will one day be
raggedy messes of cloth.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Ken Payne
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks


>At 05:40 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>a scratch is a
>>> testament
>>> >to correct usage!
>>
>>I can't believe what is printed above. Quick, someone
>>tell me I am dreaming!
>>
>>Michael
>
>I can believe it. Whatever happened to a truck being a
>truck instead of a status symbol for the neighbors to
>gawk at? You'd be amazed at how many emails I've gotten
>from women (and men, this is even more pathetic) complaining
>how their new truck doesn't handle like the 1000 lb rice
>burner they own.
>
>I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people who buy a new
>truck will never have more than 100lbs in the back. And
>during the period of ownership, it'll only haul that 100lbs
>maybe 3-4 times.
>
>Ken Payne
>Admin
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:40:47 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

>rrpalmer eatel.net writes:
>
>
do
> have to give them credit for that....and they did give me a '99 Taurus
while
> my truck is there (2 days so far). I will get it back tomorrow. ( Just
hope
> they did a good job on the repair.....ill let you all know)
>
> Ron >>
>
>
>Ron:
>
>Maybe you'd be better off keeping the car. Trucks are made to be "used"
and
>will inevitably end up getting a little "scarred" - a scratch is a
testament
>to correct usage! So if a little scratch bothers you maybe you should just
>keep the car.
>
>"The Aggravator!"
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

Wrong Mr. Aggrivator! Only the owner of the truck has the right to
"scratch" it. I love driving my engines very hard and loading the **** out
of my trucks until the rear bumper is almost on the ground, I also go off
road and do not worry about tree-limb scratches that I put on the truck. I
can do these things and more because it is MY Truck, I paid for it. The
minute someone else is in charge of my truck, especially when you are
paying them for a service, they better treat it kid gloves, they do not have
the right to grease-up the seats, scratch the paint, drive it hard, etc.,
only I do.


Keith

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:43:35 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Tachometer--manual transmission

No redline. The rev limiter prevents overrevving. You can see it work by
putting the truck automatic trans in 1st or 2nd and stomping on the gas
until the engine stops accelerating. On the Expedtion 5.4L V-8, this occurs
around 5500 RPM.

Keith



- -----Original Message-----
From: Brandt Dennehy
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 7:13 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Tachometer--manual transmission


>I was driving along with a friend of mine last night in my Superduty V-10
>when he looked at my tach. and said, "Doesn't it redline?" Well, obviously
>it must redline, but there is no redline marking on my tachometer. Do you
>have to exceed the tach readings in order to redline or what is the max.
RPM
>I should do without harming the engine?
>
>Secondly, I have the 5speed manual 3.73 axle ratio. I'm not sure if it is
>supposed to make this sound or not, but whenever I hit the clutch, I get
>kind of a clinking noise (sounds like the release of the gears...sounds
like
>there is too much play between the connection or something)....I have very
>few auto knowledge, so any input as to whether or not I should be concerned
>about this would be very helpful...
>Thanks again,
>
>Brandt
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:56:26 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks

With all due respect, I keep hearing statistics like these [95% of SUVs
never go off road or only 2% of pickup truck owners use their truck to carry
big loads, etc.] You have to remember the life-cycle of these vehicles.
First, just about anyone who buys a brand-new truck or SUV is going to treat
it like a fragile baby for the first 3 months to first year. Second, as
time goes on most vehicles get "tested" more and more. By the time these
vehicles are 4 to 5 years old, many will now be in the "prime" of their
lives, hauling big landscaping trailers full of mowers, pulling a fifth
wheel trailer, moving furniture. Some will even have monster mudders and
lift-kits installed and be used off-road exclusively. Just because someone
wants to enjoy the first year-or-two "honeymoon" with a new $30,000 vehicle
does not mean it will never be put to the test. Once properly broken in, I
drive the bejesus out of my engines (they like it and I have never worn one
out even after 180,000 miles) load my trucks to the breaking point and
overall treat it like an old shoe. Of course, their are always those people
that purchase a new truck every 2 years and never let it sit in the rain or
carry more than a watermelon home from the store.....[I don't think it is
95% of truck owners, though].


Keith


- -----Original Message-----
From: Ken Payne
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Wednesday, December 09, 1998 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re: Dealers taking care of Trucks


>At 05:40 PM 12/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>>a scratch is a
>>> testament
>>> >to correct usage!
>>
>>I can't believe what is printed above. Quick, someone
>>tell me I am dreaming!
>>
>>Michael
>
>I can believe it. Whatever happened to a truck being a
>truck instead of a status symbol for the neighbors to
>gawk at? You'd be amazed at how many emails I've gotten
>from women (and men, this is even more pathetic) complaining
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.