97up-list-digest Thursday, November 19 1998 Volume 01 : Number 283



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 97up - Week #36 Commodity projections
Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket cab steps for '99 F-150 supercab
Re: FTE 97up - 4-sale cab steps for '99 F-150 supercab
Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real
FTE 97up - V-10 or Diesel
Re: FTE 97up - V-10 or Diesel
Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real
Re: FTE 97up - V-10 or Diesel
Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real
FTE 97up - Update on last message
FTE 97up - 5.4 triton
RE: FTE 97up - Update on last message
FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks
Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks
Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks
FTE 97up - Additional V-10 Benefits
Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks
Re: FTE 97up - Engine/Exhaust Brake for '99 P.S. Diesel
FTE 97up - Re. Spare Tire
RE: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real
Re: Re: FTE 97up - floor mats
RE: FTE 97up - Additional V-10 Benefits
Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks
Re: FTE 97up - Re. Spare Tire
Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:37:58 EST
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Week #36 Commodity projections

In a message dated 98-11-18 18:58:07 EST, you write:


I've asked this question before and haven't received a response so I'll
try again. It may have been covered in detail in the past but I'm new
to this list so please bear with me. I ordered a 99 F250 crew cab
lariat diesel 4x4 in mid May. The dealer says it still doesn't even
have a vin number and/or is scheduled for build. Is this normal and
does anyone think this truck may actually ever be built before the end
of the millennium?
>>

you should have heard all the excuses that i got my 93 cobra (4993 produced)
back in 93, i think i heard everyone under the sun. I was suppose to be
delivered in Jan '93, i got it in APR '93. I was raiseing holy hell with the
dealer i was threatening to take my deposit and go elsewhere if i didnt get a
straight answer.


RS
99 F 250SD SC PSD 4x4
93 Cobra blown 333ci.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:49:25 -0600
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?

It's been over twenty-five years since I worked rebuilding Cummins diesels and
drove a VW diesel Rabbit, so bare with me. Has it gotten easier to drive a diesel?
I mean finding "high quality" diesel fuel on the road these days? And also "winter
blend" when the temperature plummet on the road or overnight?

One of the problems during the gas crisis of the '70s with motorists switching to
diesel powered cars, was finding "filtered-at-the-pump" diesel fuel. Truck stops
where not a reliable source, since most sold unfiltered diesel fuel, i.e., no
in-line fuel filters attached to the pump. While unfiltered diesel fuel was no
problem for trucks with much larger injectors, it was big trouble for the little
injectors in auto's.

Another problem was in winter, finding a season mix of #1 and #2 diesel fuel. At
- -20 temps and below, I usually ran on a mixture of diesel and gas or all #1 (but
not for long periods). And it was common not to shut the engine off, but let it
run in the parking lot at work. I remember adding fuel additives to prevent "fuel
waxing". Heat, little heat came out of that engine to warm the cab. Cardboard in
front of the radiator helped. Oil filters used in winter require pressure relief
valves to bypass the startup pressure that could cause oil loss, weren't cheap.
Glow-plugs which facilitated cold weather starts, were fragile so starting fuel
(ether) was a no-no; and they were costly too to replace. And diesel fuel was
messy. If it got on your hands or the bottom of your leather shoes you smelled and
everybody smelled it. Noise, that another thing I still can't forget. My neighbors
in the city hated me for my early morning start-ups and warm-ups on the driveway.

But I would guess that has all changed?

Charles.

Dorn Hetzel wrote:

> One thought, since my 99F350-CC-PSD gets about 15mpg, and has a 38 gallon
> tank, I can easily go 500 miles between fillups (though I usually look
> for fuel at 350-400 miles). I have had NO problem finding diesel, even
> in some very out of the way places.
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 04:29:13PM -0500, Keith Veren wrote:
> > I chose the V-10 for many reasons. First, if equipped with the 4.30 gears,
> > the CGVW and the Max Trailer Weight are Greater than the Diesel with either
> > the 3.73 or the 4.10 gears (the only gears available from the factory).
> > Although I chose the 3.73 gears with the V-10, it's nice to know I could
> > swap-up to 4.30s, have the highest towing and total weights, and retain a
> > stock configuration. Second, all my other vehicles are gas and/or gas-oil
> > (2-cycle engines). Don't really want to have to keep anther fuel around in
> > a 5-gallon emergency can (although diesel is safer to keep and store than
> > gasoline, I have a good vented flammables-cabinet setup in my garage).
> > Third, also fuel-related, is that I have heard from friends that when they
> > go out of town and way off the interstates, they often worry about finding
> > diesel and start planning where to go for their next fill-up as they leave
> > the fuel station with a full tank! I would not worry like this with a gas
> > engine. 4th issue is powerband, diesels are great stump-pullers, but their
> > powerband is relatively narrow they do not want to be out of the 100 to 2500
> > rpm range; hence, more shifting is required and more frequent intervals
> > (e,g, that is why the diesel can come with a 6-speed transmission).
> > Although diesels may have a slight advantages in certain areas, such as
> > longevity and the ability to run continuously without problems, overall I
> > felt the V-10 gas engines was the way to go.
> >
> >
> > Keith
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Peter Schmidt
> > To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> > Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 3:10 PM
> > Subject: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
> >
> >
> > >Hi everyone, I'm a new to the list.
> > >
> > >I've decided to ditch my Suburban & buy a new HD250 crew cab. I've test
> > >drove both the v10 & diesel versions a couple of miles. The V10 is
> > >definitely much more responsive of the lime. In searching the archives to
> > >this mailing list I've noticed that the mileage on the V10 is around 10-12
> > >& the diesel up in the 16-20 range.
> > >
> > >I drive about 20K miles per year & have a ski boat that I tow on occasion.
> > >I have a place in the mountains that I drive to alot in the winter.
> > >
> > >This is the first time I've ever considered a diesel. Other than it being
> > >a bit noisy it looks o.k.
> > >
> > >I'd like to hear any preferences/suggestions that you may have.
> > >
> > >Thanks..
> > >
> > >peter
> > >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:08:25 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket cab steps for '99 F-150 supercab

Dee Zee Back Road tubes use the factory holes if your interested in nerf
bars. Ford (and Dee Zee) make a nice molded plastic mud flat that fits
well.

Nathan

- -----Original Message-----
From: Lou Mallia
To: Ford Trucks
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 9:12 PM
Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket cab steps for '99 F-150 supercab


>Ok, so I was cheap and didn't order the factory running boards on my new
>'99 F-150 4x4 supercab. Now I realize I need steps, only the Ford parts
>department wants $500 for them (invoice was $340)!! So, I'm looking for
>aftermarket parts. Does anyone know of any running boards/steps that
>utilize the pre-drilled holes in the truck body? I'd hate to drill and
>hack brackets to get a nice mounting job, when I have those neatly
>drilled holes staring me in the face!
>
>Also, has anyone found a nice set of aftermarket mud flaps that fit the
>contours of the F-150 better than those flat rubber ones I'm seeing in
>the parts stores?
>
>Thanks,
>Lou


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:42:33 -0600
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - 4-sale cab steps for '99 F-150 supercab

Subject:
FTE 97up - Re: truck steps
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:20:15 -0800
From:
"Harald"
Reply-To:
97up-list ford-trucks.com
To:
"Ford Trucks List"




If anyone is interested, I purchased a special order set of Dee Zee black
anodized aluminum Backroad nerf bars for my 99 Super Duty. They bolt right
on like factory steps. I didn't want to put steps on, but the wife and 5
year old son insisted on steps. Problem is, I don't care for the look. So
if anyone wants to buy them, I'll sell for $250. They were $366 new and
they're in like new condition. I live in Seattle, WA or might be able to
COD to somewhere else.

Harald Stenger


"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html




Union Auto wrote:

> Dee Zee Back Road tubes use the factory holes if your interested in nerf
> bars. Ford (and Dee Zee) make a nice molded plastic mud flat that fits
> well.
>
> Nathan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lou Mallia
> To: Ford Trucks
> Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 9:12 PM
> Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket cab steps for '99 F-150 supercab
>
> >Ok, so I was cheap and didn't order the factory running boards on my new
> >'99 F-150 4x4 supercab. Now I realize I need steps, only the Ford parts
> >department wants $500 for them (invoice was $340)!! So, I'm looking for
> >aftermarket parts. Does anyone know of any running boards/steps that
> >utilize the pre-drilled holes in the truck body? I'd hate to drill and
> >hack brackets to get a nice mounting job, when I have those neatly
> >drilled holes staring me in the face!
> >
> >Also, has anyone found a nice set of aftermarket mud flaps that fit the
> >contours of the F-150 better than those flat rubber ones I'm seeing in
> >the parts stores?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Lou
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:48:14 -0600
From: "Union Auto"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?

Which every engine you pick its a good choice. All of the points mentioned
are good ones. There was one other that I would consider. Trucks are a fad
right now, and if gas prices were to increase there is a good chance that
would hurt the value of a V-10 much much more than the Diesel. If trucks
stay as hot as they are right now it won't matter either one will be good
property.

Ford sent out a letter last year comparing they 460 to the Diesel. They
estimated it would take 100,700 miles to break even on the diesel. There
are three additional considerations to take into this mileage: 1. the V-10
is getting better mileage than the 460 ever dreamed of so now it will take
more miles to break even. 2. This doesn't account for the additional
resale the diesel will provide (on a 1995 F-250 the Power Stroke adds $2150
to the value of the truck). 3. This doesn't include the extra warranty the
Power Stroke has. I don't think either engine will have problems (but any
truck can, if they didn't you'd be able to buy them a Wal-Mart) but if the
Power Stroke does after the 3/36 warranty expires it is covered for 2
additional years and up to 100,000 miles ($100 deductible).

Nathan Bernard
Union Auto, Inc.
Union, IA 50258



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:11:49 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real

I notice in all the letters supporting the diesel over the V-10 gas engine
people talk about "longevity" and "warranty" etc. Well, I have had
innumerous gas engines, from 396 Chevy Rat motors to 4-cylinder Toyotas to
V-8 Ford 302 Van motors. I have worn out components like water pumps,
alternators, thermostats, etc. BUT NEVER have I "worn-out" a gas engine even
after 200,000+ miles on some of them (running them very hard). Some have
even run better after being broken in with 75,000 miles or so. Furthermore,
in every case, for all my vehicles (18+, new and used), the vehicle body
deteriorated long before the motor even started to "hiccup". Come-on guys,
gas engines today are incredibly Long-lived and tough.


Keith





- -----Original Message-----
From: Union Auto
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?


>Which every engine you pick its a good choice. All of the points mentioned
>are good ones. There was one other that I would consider. Trucks are a
fad
>right now, and if gas prices were to increase there is a good chance that
>would hurt the value of a V-10 much much more than the Diesel. If trucks
>stay as hot as they are right now it won't matter either one will be good
>property.
>
>Ford sent out a letter last year comparing they 460 to the Diesel. They
>estimated it would take 100,700 miles to break even on the diesel. There
>are three additional considerations to take into this mileage: 1. the V-10
>is getting better mileage than the 460 ever dreamed of so now it will take
>more miles to break even. 2. This doesn't account for the additional
>resale the diesel will provide (on a 1995 F-250 the Power Stroke adds $2150
>to the value of the truck). 3. This doesn't include the extra warranty
the
>Power Stroke has. I don't think either engine will have problems (but any
>truck can, if they didn't you'd be able to buy them a Wal-Mart) but if the
>Power Stroke does after the 3/36 warranty expires it is covered for 2
>additional years and up to 100,000 miles ($100 deductible).
>
>Nathan Bernard
>Union Auto, Inc.
>Union, IA 50258
>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:30:05 -0600
From: ywozniak kiwi.dep.anl.gov (Todd Wozniak)
Subject: FTE 97up - V-10 or Diesel

Peter,

As a former Suburban owner myself, I found that going to a crew cab was the
way to go as you have decided. Once you have all that room it's hard to
give it up. I ordered a SD 250 Crew Short Bed with: Lariet, 3.73LS and the
V-10. I had to order the short bed with the crew cab because it would be
just too long to fit in the garage with the long bed. It just barely fits
with the short bed. This also shortens the fuel tank from 38 to 29
gallons. This is very different from the Suburban's 42 gallon tank. My
Suburban gets around 13 mg now so the Ford V-10 is not going to be that
much of a shock. As you put more miles on the engine the gas milage should
go up.

My case for going with the V-10 is that I cannot see spending $4500 extra
dollars on an engine that I would rarely use for its extra pulling power.
I am also a boat puller. The V-10 should have no problem pulling any boat
I would ever own. Also the PSD can be tempermental in cold weather,
especially in those mountains, they like to be kept warm. If you do most
of your driving unloaded, a V-10 is the way to go. However, if you are
loaded or put MANY miles on the truck then the PSD is the way to go.

One other choice that you will have to make is for the rear end. Do you go
for the 3.73 or the 4.30? Again choose the option for what you wiil be
doing most of the time. Highway driving and not too much weight: 3.73
Tons of pulling power for lots of weight: 4.30. The 4.30 will drop your
fuel economy but will give you great 0-60 times.

Good Luck!


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:10:04 -0800
From: Peter Schmidt
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V-10 or Diesel

At 09:30 AM 11/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Peter,
>
>As a former Suburban owner myself, I found that going to a crew cab was the
>way to go as you have decided. Once you have all that room it's hard to
>give it up. I ordered a SD 250 Crew Short Bed with: Lariet, 3.73LS and the
>V-10. I had to order the short bed with the crew cab because it would be
>just too long to fit in the garage with the long bed. It just barely fits
>with the short bed. This also shortens the fuel tank from 38 to 29
>gallons. This is very different from the Suburban's 42 gallon tank. My
>Suburban gets around 13 mg now so the Ford V-10 is not going to be that
>much of a shock. As you put more miles on the engine the gas milage should
>go up.
>

Todd.. Thanks for your input. What bugs me the most about the short bed is
the 29 gallon fuel tank. (My wife won't let me buy the long bed). If it
had the 38 gallon one then I wouldn't even be thinking about the diesel.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:27:49 -0600
From: "Charles Abraham"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real

Keith, your absolutely right!

My 10 years old '88 Mustang GT 5.0 (302), has 200K plus miles - and still
running strong. Keep in mind that 10 years on a performance car should be
measured in dog years (7:1). If the body wasn't rusting out badly, I would
probably keep her even after my Super Duty is delivered.

Charles,
F250 SD SC 4x4 ESOF SB SRW V10 AUTO 3.73LS LARIAT, on order since Sept. 30th
1998.

Keith Veren wrote:

> I notice in all the letters supporting the diesel over the V-10 gas engine
> people talk about "longevity" and "warranty" etc. Well, I have had
> innumerous gas engines, from 396 Chevy Rat motors to 4-cylinder Toyotas to
> V-8 Ford 302 Van motors. I have worn out components like water pumps,
> alternators, thermostats, etc. BUT NEVER have I "worn-out" a gas engine even
> after 200,000+ miles on some of them (running them very hard). Some have
> even run better after being broken in with 75,000 miles or so. Furthermore,
> in every case, for all my vehicles (18+, new and used), the vehicle body
> deteriorated long before the motor even started to "hiccup". Come-on guys,
> gas engines today are incredibly Long-lived and tough.
>
> Keith
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Union Auto
> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
> Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 9:55 AM
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
>
> >Which every engine you pick its a good choice. All of the points mentioned
> >are good ones. There was one other that I would consider. Trucks are a
> fad
> >right now, and if gas prices were to increase there is a good chance that
> >would hurt the value of a V-10 much much more than the Diesel. If trucks
> >stay as hot as they are right now it won't matter either one will be good
> >property.
> >
> >Ford sent out a letter last year comparing they 460 to the Diesel. They
> >estimated it would take 100,700 miles to break even on the diesel. There
> >are three additional considerations to take into this mileage: 1. the V-10
> >is getting better mileage than the 460 ever dreamed of so now it will take
> >more miles to break even. 2. This doesn't account for the additional
> >resale the diesel will provide (on a 1995 F-250 the Power Stroke adds $2150
> >to the value of the truck). 3. This doesn't include the extra warranty
> the
> >Power Stroke has. I don't think either engine will have problems (but any
> >truck can, if they didn't you'd be able to buy them a Wal-Mart) but if the
> >Power Stroke does after the 3/36 warranty expires it is covered for 2
> >additional years and up to 100,000 miles ($100 deductible).
> >
> >Nathan Bernard
> >Union Auto, Inc.
> >Union, IA 50258
> >
> >
> >
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 11:38:16 -0500
From: Dick_Dorff baynetworks.com (Dick Dorff)
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V-10 or Diesel

In addition to purchasing the new SD F250, we also need to upgrade my
'86 Saab 900 to a somewhat less used, wider body (to accomodate the new
3rd kid), probably a used Saab 9000. Our main reason for choosing the
V10 is that the $3900 (invoice) cost savings by not getting the Diesel
is about half of what I expect to spend on the used car, and will help a
lot. Secondly, we anticipate putting less than 10,000 miles per year on
the truck, and using a 160,000 mile breakeven point, that's about 16
years. (Using latest estimations in Edmunds "Gas vs. Diesel" thread).
Long before then we'll have to start replacing non-engine block parts
(alternator, water pump, fuel pump, feul injectors) on either vehicle,
and some will be much cheaper on the V10. I've heard that a single fuel
injector on the PSD costs in the neighborhood of $750; feul pump up
around $2,000? The longer PSD warranty won't help us a smidgeon because
it'll be up in 5 years, when we're only at 50,000 miles. I don't expect
any major repairs in that time frame.

We'll be occasionally towing a 5,000 - 7,000 lb, not-yet-purchased 5th
wheel, and I would love the towing power of the PSD. When I don't have
to work so much, and can take more time to do a lot more travelling and
towing, and expect to put on at least 200,000 miles in 8-10 years to
know I have a good chance at recouping the initial extra purchase price
before extra costly repairs might be needed, I'll quite likely opt for a
diesel. For right now I can't justify the expense given the payback
timeframe and other current financial demands. Alternatively, if we
were going to tow something extraordinarily heavy (>= 10,000lb), often
through mountains, that might start to warrant a diesel by itself, for
the torque. We currently don't feel the need for, or are comfortable
with, that large and heavy a trailer.

I don't want to start a debate on what payback timeframe estimations are
"correct"; I've seen anywhere from 80,000 to 180,000 miles. It depends
on the mpg difference (which I estimate to be overall 4-5mpg), and the
price of gas now and in the future, which we don't know yet. I just
know that almost whatever it is, probably somewhere in the middle of
that range, we currently don't plan on coming close any time soon (
years).

Dick Dorff
Ordered: 99 F250 SD CC SB 4x4(manual) V10 3.73LS (so far) TT Hitch
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:13:30 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real

Thanks for the support, Charles.

Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350 V-10
vs Powerstroke diesel (PSD).

The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 13,800 pounds in the [F-350
regular cab / 4X2 / DRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds in
the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW!!! / (manual or automatic trans.)]

So there.

Keith




- -----Original Message-----
From: Charles Abraham
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real


>Keith, your absolutely right!
>
>My 10 years old '88 Mustang GT 5.0 (302), has 200K plus miles - and still
>running strong. Keep in mind that 10 years on a performance car should be
>measured in dog years (7:1). If the body wasn't rusting out badly, I would
>probably keep her even after my Super Duty is delivered.
>
>Charles,
>F250 SD SC 4x4 ESOF SB SRW V10 AUTO 3.73LS LARIAT, on order since Sept.
30th
>1998.
>
>Keith Veren wrote:
>
>> I notice in all the letters supporting the diesel over the V-10 gas
engine
>> people talk about "longevity" and "warranty" etc. Well, I have had
>> innumerous gas engines, from 396 Chevy Rat motors to 4-cylinder Toyotas
to
>> V-8 Ford 302 Van motors. I have worn out components like water pumps,
>> alternators, thermostats, etc. BUT NEVER have I "worn-out" a gas engine
even
>> after 200,000+ miles on some of them (running them very hard). Some have
>> even run better after being broken in with 75,000 miles or so.
Furthermore,
>> in every case, for all my vehicles (18+, new and used), the vehicle body
>> deteriorated long before the motor even started to "hiccup". Come-on
guys,
>> gas engines today are incredibly Long-lived and tough.
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Union Auto
>> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>> Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 9:55 AM
>> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
>>
>> >Which every engine you pick its a good choice. All of the points
mentioned
>> >are good ones. There was one other that I would consider. Trucks are a
>> fad
>> >right now, and if gas prices were to increase there is a good chance
that
>> >would hurt the value of a V-10 much much more than the Diesel. If
trucks
>> >stay as hot as they are right now it won't matter either one will be
good
>> >property.
>> >
>> >Ford sent out a letter last year comparing they 460 to the Diesel. They
>> >estimated it would take 100,700 miles to break even on the diesel.
There
>> >are three additional considerations to take into this mileage: 1. the
V-10
>> >is getting better mileage than the 460 ever dreamed of so now it will
take
>> >more miles to break even. 2. This doesn't account for the additional
>> >resale the diesel will provide (on a 1995 F-250 the Power Stroke adds
$2150
>> >to the value of the truck). 3. This doesn't include the extra warranty
>> the
>> >Power Stroke has. I don't think either engine will have problems (but
any
>> >truck can, if they didn't you'd be able to buy them a Wal-Mart) but if
the
>> >Power Stroke does after the 3/36 warranty expires it is covered for 2
>> >additional years and up to 100,000 miles ($100 deductible).
>> >
>> >Nathan Bernard
>> >Union Auto, Inc.
>> >Union, IA 50258
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>> >
>>
>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:20:55 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Update on last message

Thanks for the support, Charles.

Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350 V-10
vs. Powerstroke diesel (PSD).

The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,100 pounds in the [F-350
regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds in
the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

So there.

Keith

PS, I had previously listed the PSD maximum loaded trailer weight as 13,800.
It is 14,100. Still 500 pounds less than the V-10.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:32:29 -0700
From: Keith Srb
Subject: FTE 97up - 5.4 triton

Forwarded for "Don Lewoniuk"








Reference was made on anther list that some posts were made here regarding
97-98 5.4 triton engines being replaced by Ford due to design
flaws/unsolvable problems. By chance has anyone kept a running file on
posts related to this issue? Thx, Don


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:14:51 -0800
From: "Kevin Mayer"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Update on last message

Keith,

The difference in maximum loaded trailer weight is strictly the difference
in the additional weight of the Diesel Vs v-10. The trailer weight is
arrived at by taking the gcvw minus the weight of the vehicle. Don't kid
yourself on the v-10 holding a candle to the psd in towing ability. Load'em
both to the gills, then go find a hill. The v-10 is a capable puller, just
not in the same league as the psd.


kevin

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Keith Veren
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 1998 11:21 AM
To: Ford Mailing List
Subject: FTE 97up - Update on last message


Thanks for the support, Charles.

Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350 V-10
vs. Powerstroke diesel (PSD).

The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,100 pounds in the [F-350
regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds in
the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

So there.

Keith

PS, I had previously listed the PSD maximum loaded trailer weight as 13,800.
It is 14,100. Still 500 pounds less than the V-10.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:32:28 -0800
From: Peter Schmidt
Subject: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks

A couple of postings ago I kinda grumbled about the small fuel tank in
short beds.

I found the following site that may be interesting to some people:

http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_chassis_tank.html
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:12:51 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message

Kevin,

I am doing nothing of the sort. I have nothing against the PSD, it is a
massive, powerful diesel engine, no doubt about it. I am just trying to add
a little balance to the conversation by providing information that
illustrates that a V-10 Triton engine is a formidable stump-puller in it's
own right. Furthermore, Ford tests conclude that the V-10, properly geared,
can tow a substantial payload, and, in fact, lists the maximum allowable
trailer weight for the V-10 right up there with the PSD.


Keith


- -----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Mayer
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 3:16 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Update on last message


>Keith,
>
>The difference in maximum loaded trailer weight is strictly the difference
>in the additional weight of the Diesel Vs v-10. The trailer weight is
>arrived at by taking the gcvw minus the weight of the vehicle. Don't kid
>yourself on the v-10 holding a candle to the psd in towing ability. Load'em
>both to the gills, then go find a hill. The v-10 is a capable puller, just
>not in the same league as the psd.
>
>
>kevin
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com
>[mailto:owner-97up-list ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Keith Veren
>Sent: Thursday, November 19, 1998 11:21 AM
>To: Ford Mailing List
>Subject: FTE 97up - Update on last message
>
>
>Thanks for the support, Charles.
>
>Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
>at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350
V-10
>vs. Powerstroke diesel (PSD).
>
>The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
>of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,100 pounds in the
[F-350
>regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
>The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
>rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds
in
>the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
>So there.
>
>Keith
>
>PS, I had previously listed the PSD maximum loaded trailer weight as
13,800.
>It is 14,100. Still 500 pounds less than the V-10.
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:16:24 -0600 (CST)
From: dfloyd fnord.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks

Excellent web site. I am thinking of a nice, big across the bed toolbox/tank
for my shortbed F150.

>
> A couple of postings ago I kinda grumbled about the small fuel tank in
> short beds.
>
> I found the following site that may be interesting to some people:
>
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_chassis_tank.html
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:37:49 EST
From: RSnovi aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message

In a message dated 98-11-19 14:33:10 EST, you write:

i sure dont see those V10s around town anywhere.


RS


Thanks for the support, Charles.

Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350 V-10
vs. Powerstroke diesel (PSD).

The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,100 pounds in the [F-350
regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds in
the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]

So there.

Keith

PS, I had previously listed the PSD maximum loaded trailer weight as 13,800.
It is 14,100. Still 500 pounds less than the V-10.
>>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:39:08 -0800
From: George Passidakis
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks

I talked to Transfer Flow a few weeks ago and they said they did not have a replacement tank for any of the new Super Duty Crew/Extended cab trucks.

They do have replacements for the CAB chassis trucks or in-bed auxiliary tanks for any of the trucks.

I also found http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.aerotanks.com/ and talked briefly to them. They said they make a 40gal replacement tank for '99 Crew-cab short bed trucks. I should be getting the info and prices in the mail soon.

Has anyone here used an Aero tank on their truck?

George

...waiting for my 99 super duty...ordered 13 days ago...

At 11/19/98 12:32 PM, you wrote:
>A couple of postings ago I kinda grumbled about the small fuel tank in
>short beds.
>
>I found the following site that may be interesting to some people:
>
>http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_chassis_tank.html
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:05:57 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: FTE 97up - Additional V-10 Benefits

An additional factor that people choosing between the V-10 and the diesel
should consider is the availability of high-performance equipment and/or
upgraded parts. For example, the V-10 will no doubt have lots of
aftermarket equipment designed for it. I would imagine that a V-10 with a
Roots-style supercharger would have a torque and horsepower profile very
favorable to the PowerStroke Diesel in terms of low-end grunt and top-end
horsepower. [Of course, perhaps the aftermarketeers will also produce
analogous equipment for the diesel, but the diesel is already turbocharged,
so how much more improvement could you make???]


Keith

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:09:41 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message

They have just started making them this year, how many do you think could be
out there? They cannot make them fast enough to keep up with sales. By the
way, you see a lot of V-10 Dodge Rams around because they have been making
them for a few years.


- -----Original Message-----
From: RSnovi aol.com
To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Update on last message


>In a message dated 98-11-19 14:33:10 EST, you write:
>
> i sure dont see those V10s around town anywhere.
>
>
>RS
>
>
> Thanks for the support, Charles.
>
> Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
> at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350
V-10
> vs. Powerstroke diesel (PSD).
>
> The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW
rating
> of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,100 pounds in the
[F-350
> regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
> The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
> rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds
in
> the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
> So there.and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:18:28 -0800
From: johny
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks

I had a freind that got some replacement tanks for his 94 F250. He ended up
with Dual 45 gallons for gas. The main tank (under the cab/bed) had
many problems primarily due to venting issuess, which were initially diagnosed
as vapor lock and fuel pump issues. It took him forever to resolve the problems,
with numerous trips to Aero. (problems were ultimately not resolved by Aero.)

In 97, he finally got rid of one of the Aero tanks, and replaced it with
a Transfer Flow tank. He's quite happy now.

What's my point?
- - Transfer Flow is more expensive, but the tanks are built much better.
- - The Transfer Flow staff was much more knowledgable.

To be fair:
Aero may have improved their process' and engineering since
1995 - 1996 time frame.
For some applications, their products may be more than adequate.
The second tank did not have problems - it's located where the spare
tire goes.
The trouble some tank was the *first* unit built, but Aero, had much
trouble identifying the problem.

My friend did comment that he initially went with Aero, due to the
lower cost, but in hindsight noted that if he were to do this again,
Transfer Flow would be the vendor of choice. They were able to
tell my friend about the design issues with the bad tank, which Aero
never seemed to figure out.

Since you've talked with them, I'd be curious what you opinions were.

- -john


George Passidakis wrote:

> I talked to Transfer Flow a few weeks ago and they said they did not have a replacement tank for any of the new Super Duty Crew/Extended cab trucks.
>
> They do have replacements for the CAB chassis trucks or in-bed auxiliary tanks for any of the trucks.
>
> I also found http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.aerotanks.com/ and talked briefly to them. They said they make a 40gal replacement tank for '99 Crew-cab short bed trucks. I should be getting the info and prices in the mail soon.
>
> Has anyone here used an Aero tank on their truck?
>
> George
>
> ...waiting for my 99 super duty...ordered 13 days ago...
>
> At 11/19/98 12:32 PM, you wrote:
> >A couple of postings ago I kinda grumbled about the small fuel tank in
> >short beds.
> >
> >I found the following site that may be interesting to some people:
> >
> >http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_chassis_tank.html
> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html



== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:24:27 -0800
From: Mike Seltzer
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Engine/Exhaust Brake for '99 P.S. Diesel

Neil Stahl wrote:

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:34:17 -0500
From: "Neil Stahl"
Subject: FTE 97up - Engine/Exhaust Brake for '99 P.S. Diesel

> I have a '99 f/450 PSD, auto. tranny (nice truck!) and will be pulling
>a large 5'th wheel up and down mountains. I understand an exhaust
> brake is a good idea, and have materials from BD and U.S. Gear
> (PacBrake > didn't have theirs ready yet when I called them). Their
> approaches are different and I have no expertise to tell which might
> be better.

> I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used either exhaust brake
> (especially on the 99 PSD) or who has enough expertise to compare the
> two systems.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Neil Stahl

Neil, I can't help you because I'm also looking at exhaust brakes. I
know that exhaust brakes are good, but which one?

To muddy the waters even more, see http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.jps.net/langebrk. They use
the existing PS backpressure valve that's used for warming the engine
up.

I don't know...does anybody?

Mike Seltzer
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:59:46 EST
From: JDavis1277 aol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - Re. Spare Tire

Michael,

No offense, intended, honest. :=) But, the fact is that you are the one who
failed to do the appropriate research before ordering your new Super Duty.
Did you order the bumper, or did your truck arrive without one? Of course you
ordered the bumper.

Truth is that many Super Duty buyers choose not to buy the optional spare tire
and carrier for one good reason or another. Many Super Dutys go to fleets
where most managers choose not to have a spare in every truck because 90+% of
them never see the road. Also, many Super Duty buyers choose not to buy the
optional stock rear bumper for one good reason or another. Lots of commercial
(and noncommercial) users add special equipment to the trucks which is not
compatible with the stock bumper. Others simply want to use a bumper which is
more sturdy or better looking, or whatever. Ford allows us to make that
choice, and I'm glad Ford does that.

However, since trucks are finding their way into more and more families that
know nothing about them and really don't need them, maybe Ford needs to
consider a change. I think that if they make the spare tire and the rear
bumper delete options for credit, fewer disappointed customers will result.

Meanwhile, the solution to your problem is to order a spare tire carrier and a
wheel and tire. If Ford gives you what you didn't order, don't you think they
will owe that to all the other folks over the past 15 or so years who didn't
order a spare?

BTW, many participants in this thread seem to think if they buy the optional
spare it will be provided with a wheel to match the nice aluminum wheels on
the axles. Wrong answer; it will be a stock steel wheel, a spare wheel.

I would ask the group if we couldn't move on to other topics that may just
possibly be as exciting as this one. :=)

Thanks, Butch Davis-
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:14:46 -0600
From: scott anderson
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real

>===== Original Message From Keith Veren =====
>Thanks for the support, Charles.
>
>Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
>at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350 V-10
>vs Powerstroke diesel (PSD).
>
>The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
>of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 13,800 pounds in the [F-350
>regular cab / 4X2 / DRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
>The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
>rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds in
>the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW!!! / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
>So there.
>
>Keith
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Charles Abraham
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 11:30 AM
>Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real
>
>
>>Keith, your absolutely right!
>>
>>My 10 years old '88 Mustang GT 5.0 (302), has 200K plus miles - and still
>>running strong. Keep in mind that 10 years on a performance car should be
>>measured in dog years (7:1). If the body wasn't rusting out badly, I would
>>probably keep her even after my Super Duty is delivered.
>>
>>Charles,
>>F250 SD SC 4x4 ESOF SB SRW V10 AUTO 3.73LS LARIAT, on order since Sept.
>30th
>>1998.
>>
>>Keith Veren wrote:
>>
>>> I notice in all the letters supporting the diesel over the V-10 gas
>engine
>>> people talk about "longevity" and "warranty" etc. Well, I have had
>>> innumerous gas engines, from 396 Chevy Rat motors to 4-cylinder Toyotas
>to
>>> V-8 Ford 302 Van motors. I have worn out components like water pumps,
>>> alternators, thermostats, etc. BUT NEVER have I "worn-out" a gas engine
>even
>>> after 200,000+ miles on some of them (running them very hard). Some have
>>> even run better after being broken in with 75,000 miles or so.
>Furthermore,
>>> in every case, for all my vehicles (18+, new and used), the vehicle body
>>> deteriorated long before the motor even started to "hiccup". Come-on
>guys,
>>> gas engines today are incredibly Long-lived and tough.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Union Auto
>>> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>>> Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 9:55 AM
>>> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
>>>
>>> >Which every engine you pick its a good choice. All of the points
>mentioned
>>> >are good ones. There was one other that I would consider. Trucks are a
>>> fad
>>> >right now, and if gas prices were to increase there is a good chance
>that
>>> >would hurt the value of a V-10 much much more than the Diesel. If
>trucks
>>> >stay as hot as they are right now it won't matter either one will be
>good
>>> >property.
>>> >
>>> >Ford sent out a letter last year comparing they 460 to the Diesel. They
>>> >estimated it would take 100,700 miles to break even on the diesel.
>There
>>> >are three additional considerations to take into this mileage: 1. the
>V-10
>>> >is getting better mileage than the 460 ever dreamed of so now it will
>take
>>> >more miles to break even. 2. This doesn't account for the additional
>>> >resale the diesel will provide (on a 1995 F-250 the Power Stroke adds
>$2150
>>> >to the value of the truck). 3. This doesn't include the extra warranty
>>> the
>>> >Power Stroke has. I don't think either engine will have problems (but
>any
>>> >truck can, if they didn't you'd be able to buy them a Wal-Mart) but if
>the
>>> >Power Stroke does after the 3/36 warranty expires it is covered for 2
>>> >additional years and up to 100,000 miles ($100 deductible).
>>> >
>>> >Nathan Bernard
>>> >Union Auto, Inc.
>>> >Union, IA 50258
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>> >
>>>
>>> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>>
>>
>>
>>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


I have driven both the Powerstroke and the V10, and the diesel definitely
has the most power of the two. Diesel: 590 lbs-ft. of torque at the rear
wheels. V10: 380 lbs-ft. torque at the rear wheels. The GVWR on my '97
Powerstroke is 9500 lbs. and I pulled a semi w/trailor full of soybeans
weighing 80,000 lbs. out of the middle of the road because it ran out of gas.
I have a manual transmission and 4:10 gears and the truck was whistling like
crazy, but it pulled it. Nothing against V10's--but I found that pretty
amazing. I think gas mileage is another reason people tend to favor the
Powerstroke over the V10. Plus, the diesel handles and rides better. Have
you ever owned a diesel? If you get a Powerstroke, you'll never want anything
else!!!

Scott Anderson


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:14:54 EST
From: CNTRYF150 aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: FTE 97up - floor mats

I dont know what color interior you have but the front mats for the super duty
can be ordered at your nearest dealer.The part numbers are as follows:

front= F85Z-2513086-AAC for grey $60.00
F85Z-2513086-AAA for tan
rear= F81Z-2813106-AAC for grey $20.67
F81Z-2813106-AAA for tan

These part numbers apply for supercab and crew cab models including Lariat and
they have F-Series written on them.The fronts are very pricey but the rears
are a great value.The rears are a one piece design that goes all the way
across.Check them out,,,,,you'll like................Jim
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:23:16 -0600
From: scott anderson
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Additional V-10 Benefits

>===== Original Message From Keith Veren =====
>An additional factor that people choosing between the V-10 and the diesel
>should consider is the availability of high-performance equipment and/or
>upgraded parts. For example, the V-10 will no doubt have lots of
>aftermarket equipment designed for it. I would imagine that a V-10 with a
>Roots-style supercharger would have a torque and horsepower profile very
>favorable to the PowerStroke Diesel in terms of low-end grunt and top-end
>horsepower. [Of course, perhaps the aftermarketeers will also produce
>analogous equipment for the diesel, but the diesel is already turbocharged,
>so how much more improvement could you make???]
>
>
>Keith
>
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


A Powerstroke with a Banks Powerpack on it has 296 rear wheel horsepower
and 612 lbs-ft. torque at the rear wheels. With larger injectors and a bigger
fuel pump (electric), the Powerstoke would have even more power.

Scott Anderson


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:54:33 -0800
From: George Passidakis
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Aftermarket fuel tanks

John,

>From my conversations, the Transfer Flow rep was much more credible than the Aero rep. I asked both about fuel guage changes, venting, installation and safety questions. The transfer flow rep was helpful and seemed honest. The Aero rep seemed annoyed at the questions and was very short. "You want to buy it or not?"

Since I won't get my truck for a while I didn't get into the details. But if both had the replacement tanks for short bed models, I would probably lean to the Transfer Flow tank. For now, Aero is the only choice I found.

George

At 11/19/98 02:18 PM, you wrote:
>My friend did comment that he initially went with Aero, due to the
>lower cost, but in hindsight noted that if he were to do this again,
>Transfer Flow would be the vendor of choice. They were able to
>tell my friend about the design issues with the bad tank, which Aero
>never seemed to figure out.
>
>Since you've talked with them, I'd be curious what you opinions were.
>
>-john
>
>
>George Passidakis wrote:
>
>> I talked to Transfer Flow a few weeks ago and they said they did not have a replacement tank for any of the new Super Duty Crew/Extended cab trucks.
>>
>> They do have replacements for the CAB chassis trucks or in-bed auxiliary tanks for any of the trucks.
>>
>> I also found http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.aerotanks.com/ and talked briefly to them. They said they make a 40gal replacement tank for '99 Crew-cab short bed trucks. I should be getting the info and prices in the mail soon.
>>
>> Has anyone here used an Aero tank on their truck?
>>
>> George
>>
>> ...waiting for my 99 super duty...ordered 13 days ago...
>>
>> At 11/19/98 12:32 PM, you wrote:
>> >A couple of postings ago I kinda grumbled about the small fuel tank in
>> >short beds.
>> >
>> >I found the following site that may be interesting to some people:
>> >
>> >http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.transferflow.com/html/ford_chassis_tank.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:57:45 -0600
From: Glenn See
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Re. Spare Tire

I bought a 3/4 ton Ford PU in 1954. It had no spare. That's almost 44
years that spares have not been standard on 3/4 tons.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:10:36 -0500
From: "Keith Veren"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real

Again, I do not have anything against diesels. If you are going to use your
truck to haul a fifth-wheel trailer weighing 10,000 lbs. all over the
country, you can't beat it for milage and longevity. Again, I never
"bashed" the diesel, I just was making the point that the V-10 is a very
strong engine with the potential, to pull just about any load you want
anywhere you want. Your 80,000 lb. pull is impressive. Both types of
engines are capable of very impressive feats.

Keith




- -----Original Message-----
From: scott anderson
To: Keith Veren
Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 8:18 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real


>===== Original Message From Keith Veren =====
>Thanks for the support, Charles.
>
>Furthermore, all the folks that talk about the diesel being so much better
>at towing heavy loads should read the Ford Specifications for the F-350
V-10
>vs Powerstroke diesel (PSD).
>
>The PSD can be ordered with up to a 4.10 rear and has a maximum GCVW rating
>of 20,000 and a maximum loaded trailer weight of 13,800 pounds in the
[F-350
>regular cab / 4X2 / DRW / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
>The V-10 can be ordered with up to a 4.30 rear and also has a maximum GCVW
>rating of 20,000 but has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 14,600 pounds
in
>the [F-350 regular cab / 4X2 / SRW!!! / (manual or automatic trans.)]
>
>So there.
>
>Keith
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Charles Abraham
>To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 11:30 AM
>Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Keep the Record Real
>
>
>>Keith, your absolutely right!
>>
>>My 10 years old '88 Mustang GT 5.0 (302), has 200K plus miles - and still
>>running strong. Keep in mind that 10 years on a performance car should be
>>measured in dog years (7:1). If the body wasn't rusting out badly, I would
>>probably keep her even after my Super Duty is delivered.
>>
>>Charles,
>>F250 SD SC 4x4 ESOF SB SRW V10 AUTO 3.73LS LARIAT, on order since Sept.
>30th
>>1998.
>>
>>Keith Veren wrote:
>>
>>> I notice in all the letters supporting the diesel over the V-10 gas
>engine
>>> people talk about "longevity" and "warranty" etc. Well, I have had
>>> innumerous gas engines, from 396 Chevy Rat motors to 4-cylinder Toyotas
>to
>>> V-8 Ford 302 Van motors. I have worn out components like water pumps,
>>> alternators, thermostats, etc. BUT NEVER have I "worn-out" a gas engine
>even
>>> after 200,000+ miles on some of them (running them very hard). Some
have
>>> even run better after being broken in with 75,000 miles or so.
>Furthermore,
>>> in every case, for all my vehicles (18+, new and used), the vehicle body
>>> deteriorated long before the motor even started to "hiccup". Come-on
>guys,
>>> gas engines today are incredibly Long-lived and tough.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Union Auto
>>> To: 97up-list ford-trucks.com
>>> Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 9:55 AM
>>> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - V10 or 7.3 Diesel?
>>>
>>> >Which every engine you pick its a good choice. All of the points
>mentioned
>>> >are good ones. There was one other that I would consider. Trucks are
a
>>> fad
>>> >right now, and if gas prices were to increase there is a good chance
>that
>>> >would hurt the value of a V-10 much much more than the Diesel. If
>trucks
....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.