Return-Path:
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:50:26 -0700 (MST)
From: owner-fordtrucks80up-digest ListService.net (fordtrucks80up-digest)
To: fordtrucks80up-digest ListService.net
Subject: fordtrucks80up-digest V1 #273
Reply-To: fordtrucks80up ListService.net
Sender: owner-fordtrucks80up-digest ListService.net


fordtrucks80up-digest Sunday, December 21 1997 Volume 01 : Number 273



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 And Newer Trucks Digest
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
fordtrucks80up-digest-request listservice.net
with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For help, send
email to the same address with the word "help" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: Warning Chime ["Bob Leifer" ]
Re: weight for snow [Michael Melson ]
Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction. ["Jeffrey Hansen"
Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction. ["Roy Preston"
Re: weight for snow ["Joe Merchak" ]
Re: ADMIN: Who wants to be on the Ranger/Bronco II/Explorer list? [ILuvTr]
Need 2.9L heads or repair tips [Hayden Griffin ]
Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction. ["maxfli" ]
Small Truck List [KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)]
re: "Suburban" [KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)]
Re: Ford "Suburban" [KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)]
Wierd Bolts [Mad Poodle ]
Shifter Knob [Mad Poodle ]
Shifter Knob [Mad Poodle ]
Wierd Bolts [Mad Poodle ]
Shifter Knob [Mad Poodle ]
Re: "Suburban" [Shadorite ]
Re: Shifter Knob [Primusdrmr ]
Re: int. wiper relay: 92 F150 [Lehmandp ]

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 08:13:54 -0500
From: "Bob Leifer"
Subject: Re: Warning Chime

J/C,

Maybe it is standard starting on the 97. My Ranger is a 97 XLT with the 864
package and the auto trans. There is no old style slight switch to be seen
anywhere! I know what they look like; all previous vehicles I ever owned
had that type that stuck out from the body waiting for the door to press it
in.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Midwest96
To: fordtrucks80up ListService.net
Date: Friday, December 19, 1997 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: Warning Chime


>In a message dated 97-12-19 00:30:51 EST, you write:
>
>
.........................---------------+

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:10:38 -0800
From: Michael Melson
Subject: Re: weight for snow

fordtrucks80up-digest wrote:

I can't speak for Bob, but I think what he was trying to say was, that
it is dangerous to carry unsecured loads in adverse conditions. You say
you have never had a problem w/ the weight you use, I would also bet you
have never lost control of your truck w/ the extra weight in the back.
Let's take a look at a hypothetical situation, if you suddenly went
into a spin due to black ice, or some other adverse cond, and when you
regained control (if you regained control) you were heading for a snow
bank, w/ no hope of stopping in time, what do you think the weight in
the back would do when the truck goes from 45 mph to a dead stop in a
matter of seconds? Do you think the weight will come to a dead stop just
as fast? If you do, I suggest you take a physics class.

As a member of a first aid squad, I can guarentee you first hand, this
is not the case. I can introduce you to a fellow that had his chest
crushed and his face put through a windshield, all from an 80 lbs bag of
rock salt that became a flying projectile due to an accident.

Sorry to be so long winded in my response, but I'll never forget
cutting that guy out of his truck. THe bottom line is this: Always
secure your load. Spend a few bucks on some tie down straps, you'll be
glad you did.

Message I responded to:

> I dont agree with Bob. I have a 93 Ranger XLT with a 3.0 and 4 speed
> auto
> and BFgoodrich LT tires. I have a long bed with a high rise
> fiberglass cap.
> I have been adding 100lb since I bought it in 93. The truck now has
> 90K
> miles and I have no problems with it.
>
> So you know what I use, I bought 2 50LB bags of kitty litter. I put a
> 2X4
> behind the wheel wells and I put the bags between the 2X4 and the tail
> gate.
> The truck has been though many heavy snow storms without any problems.
>
> Message from Bob Ford:
> >Put what ever weight your head can tolerate when it (the weight)
> comes
> >ripping through the back of the cab after you have hit something or
> nailed
> >the brakes to avoid hitting something.
> >
> >Don't do this. Manufactures don't design for these unscheduled loads.
>
> >
> >Sorry, but you asked for it!
> >
> >Happy headache,
> >Bob Ford



- --
Mike
'90 F-150
'67 Shelby GT 500 wannabe
Ponyboy's Garage- '64 1/2-'68 Mustang parts
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home.earthlink.net/~ponyboy428/
I'm always looking for '67-8 Shelby and Mustang fastback specific
parts.
Also 428 CJ specific parts, let me know what you have.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:10:35 -0500
From: "Jeffrey Hansen"
Subject: Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.

If one believed "Bob Ford", then pickup trucks are not designed to carry any
load?
He wrote ...

>>Don't do this. Manufactures don't design for these unscheduled loads.


Obviously, this is incorrect. A half-ton pickup is designed to haul a half
ton, or 1000 pounds. It is not an "unscheduled" load in the least, it's
what a truck is designed to do. While certain loads could indeed come
crashing into the operator, bags of sand placed over the back wheels,
secured in the bed with 2x4's or what have you is not in any danger of
shifting in any sort of accident.

I drive my '88 Ranger XLT here in Ohio, where the snow hangs around for
awhile, melts, then comes back. I don't carry weight in the bed, and every
time it snows and the rear end slips around, I curse myself for not carrying
any weight. Maybe I'm just a masochist.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:42:29 -0500
From: "Roy Preston"
Subject: Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.

Joe;
Personnaly, I like "SAND BAGS". Some places even load it into 70 lb. tube
style bags that will lay either over or around the wheel wells!

- ----------
> From: Joe Merchak
> To: fordtrucks80up ListService.net
> Subject: Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.
> Date: Friday, December 19, 1997 10:14 PM
>
> I dont agree with Bob. I have a 93 Ranger XLT with a 3.0 and 4 speed
auto
> and BFgoodrich LT tires. I have a long bed with a high rise fiberglass
cap.
> I have been adding 100lb since I bought it in 93. The truck now has 90K
> miles and I have no problems with it.
>
> So you know what I use, I bought 2 50LB bags of kitty litter. I put a
2X4
> behind the wheel wells and I put the bags between the 2X4 and the tail
gate.
> The truck has been though many heavy snow storms without any problems.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: bthomas Kollsman.com
> To: fordtrucks80up ListService.net ;
> RandalDGazdecki eaton.com
> Date: Friday, December 19, 1997 2:23 PM
> Subject: Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.
>
>
> >
> >
> >Put what ever weight your head can tolerate when it (the weight) comes
> >ripping through the back of the cab after you have hit something or
nailed
> >the brakes to avoid hitting something.
> >
> >Don't do this. Manufactures don't design for these unscheduled loads.
> >
> >Sorry, but you asked for it!
> >
> >Happy headache,
> >Bob Ford
> >
> >
> >______________________________ Reply Separator
____________________________
> >_____
> >Subject: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.
> >Author: RandalDGazdecki eaton.com at KOLLSMAN
> >Date: 12/19/97 6:43 PM
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >I have a 91 Ranger, 2wd, 5speed, 3.0L V6 and I want to know how
> >much weight I should put in the back for optimum snow traction
> >and minimal loss of power and mileage? I have brand new Dunlop
> >Radial Rover All-terrain tires on it (LT27x8.50R14). Anybody
> >have experience with testing to see how much weight is needed?
> >I don't have a limited slip diff, just the stock 3.45 axle
> >ratio.
> >Randy G
> >K.O.T.C.C.
> >randaldgazdecki eaton.com
> >"Heart of the N.S.S.N!!"
> >+-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 and Newer
> >--------------+
> >| Send posts to fordtrucks80up listservice.net,
> >|
> >| List removal instructions on the website.
> >|
> >+----------------- Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com
> >-----------------+
> >
> >
> >+-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 and Newer --------------+
> >| Send posts to fordtrucks80up listservice.net, |
> >| List removal instructions on the website. |
> >+----------------- Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com -----------------+
> >
>
> +-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 and Newer --------------+
> | Send posts to fordtrucks80up listservice.net, |
> | List removal instructions on the website. |
> +----------------- Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com -----------------+

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:42:51 -0500
From: "Joe Merchak"
Subject: Re: weight for snow

my weight is secured......
- -----Original Message-----
From: Michael Melson
To: fordtrucks80up ListService.net
Date: Saturday, December 20, 1997 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: weight for snow


>fordtrucks80up-digest wrote:
>
> I can't speak for Bob, but I think what he was trying to say was, that
>it is dangerous to carry unsecured loads in adverse conditions. You say
>you have never had a problem w/ the weight you use, I would also bet you
>have never lost control of your truck w/ the extra weight in the back.
>Let's take a look at a hypothetical situation, if you suddenly went
>into a spin due to black ice, or some other adverse cond, and when you
>regained control (if you regained control) you were heading for a snow
>bank, w/ no hope of stopping in time, what do you think the weight in
>the back would do when the truck goes from 45 mph to a dead stop in a
>matter of seconds? Do you think the weight will come to a dead stop just
>as fast? If you do, I suggest you take a physics class.
>
> As a member of a first aid squad, I can guarentee you first hand, this
>is not the case. I can introduce you to a fellow that had his chest
>crushed and his face put through a windshield, all from an 80 lbs bag of
>rock salt that became a flying projectile due to an accident.
>
> Sorry to be so long winded in my response, but I'll never forget
>cutting that guy out of his truck. THe bottom line is this: Always
>secure your load. Spend a few bucks on some tie down straps, you'll be
>glad you did.
>
>Message I responded to:
>
>> I dont agree with Bob. I have a 93 Ranger XLT with a 3.0 and 4 speed
>> auto
>> and BFgoodrich LT tires. I have a long bed with a high rise
>> fiberglass cap.
>> I have been adding 100lb since I bought it in 93. The truck now has
>> 90K
>> miles and I have no problems with it.
>>
>> So you know what I use, I bought 2 50LB bags of kitty litter. I put a
>> 2X4
>> behind the wheel wells and I put the bags between the 2X4 and the tail
>> gate.
>> The truck has been though many heavy snow storms without any problems.
>>
>> Message from Bob Ford:
>> >Put what ever weight your head can tolerate when it (the weight)
>> comes
>> >ripping through the back of the cab after you have hit something or
>> nailed
>> >the brakes to avoid hitting something.
>> >
>> >Don't do this. Manufactures don't design for these unscheduled loads.
>>
>> >
>> >Sorry, but you asked for it!
>> >
>> >Happy headache,
>> >Bob Ford
>
>
>
>--
> Mike
>'90 F-150
>'67 Shelby GT 500 wannabe
>Ponyboy's Garage- '64 1/2-'68 Mustang parts
> http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://home.earthlink.net/~ponyboy428/
> I'm always looking for '67-8 Shelby and Mustang fastback specific
>parts.
> Also 428 CJ specific parts, let me know what you have.
>
>
>+-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 and Newer --------------+
>| Send posts to fordtrucks80up listservice.net, |
>| List removal instructions on the website. |
>+----------------- Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com -----------------+
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 10:19:40 EST
From: ILuvTruks
Subject: Re: ADMIN: Who wants to be on the Ranger/Bronco II/Explorer list?

In a message dated 97-12-18 22:58:10 EST, you write:

> kpayne mindspring.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 10:30:44 +0500
From: Hayden Griffin
Subject: Need 2.9L heads or repair tips

Can anyone tell me a good, reasonably priced source for heads for the 2.9 in
my 89 Bronco II? I believe the right one is cracked. I haven't figured out
for sure about the left one yet. Ford wants $540 each for bare heads.

Or are there good repair methods if I can locate the crack(s) and they're
accessible?

Any leads gratefully accepted.

Hayden
griffin vt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:52:47 -0600
From: "maxfli"
Subject: Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.

Unscheduled load, that the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard, do you
thing the manufacturer made trucks just to look good. Their made to haul
stuff. Adding weight in the rear of a empty truck to gain snow traction is a
benefit, not a safety hazard as long as you use your head about what you put
in the back. A couple or three bags of sand in the back can help on those
snowy roads as long as you dont drive like a mad man and think your
invincible because of the extra traction you have gained. A couple extra
hundred pounds of weight in the back should do fine, good luck and be
careful.

Brad
- -----Original Message-----
From: bthomas Kollsman.com
To: fordtrucks80up ListService.net ;
RandalDGazdecki eaton.com
Date: Friday, December 19, 1997 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.


>
>
>Put what ever weight your head can tolerate when it (the weight) comes
>ripping through the back of the cab after you have hit something or nailed
>the brakes to avoid hitting something.
>
>Don't do this. Manufactures don't design for these unscheduled loads.
>
>Sorry, but you asked for it!
>
>Happy headache,
>Bob Ford
>
>
>______________________________ Reply Separator ____________________________
>_____
>Subject: Recommended Weight for Snow Traction.
>Author: RandalDGazdecki eaton.com at KOLLSMAN
>Date: 12/19/97 6:43 PM
>
>
>
>
>I have a 91 Ranger, 2wd, 5speed, 3.0L V6 and I want to know how
>much weight I should put in the back for optimum snow traction
>and minimal loss of power and mileage? I have brand new Dunlop
>Radial Rover All-terrain tires on it (LT27x8.50R14). Anybody
>have experience with testing to see how much weight is needed?
>I don't have a limited slip diff, just the stock 3.45 axle
>ratio.
>Randy G
>K.O.T.C.C.
>randaldgazdecki eaton.com
>"Heart of the N.S.S.N!!"
>+-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 and Newer
>--------------+
>| Send posts to fordtrucks80up listservice.net,
>|
>| List removal instructions on the website.
>|
>+----------------- Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com
>-----------------+
>
>
>+-------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 and Newer --------------+
>| Send posts to fordtrucks80up listservice.net, |
>| List removal instructions on the website. |
>+----------------- Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com -----------------+

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:38:59, -0500
From: KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)
Subject: Small Truck List

Hi, I want to stay on both lists.

Josh Tenney
KNBD87D prodigy.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 13:59:31, -0500
From: KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)
Subject: re: "Suburban"

George buddy, take it easy. Nobody on this list is "stupid." Before
saying that people are stupid, you may want to read up on info a bit
more. The expedition competes with the tahoe, not the suburban.
Ford has designed a truck called the "Crew Wagon" that will compete
with the suburban. The name is not set in stone and neither is the
truck. It actually has SIX doors. 4 regular size doors, but two
small ones, like F150 supercabs have so you can reach the very back
seat. I am very excitied to see the truck, but not too excitied to
see the price. George, please refrain from calling people stupid
unless you are a rocket scientist yourself and know everything about
everything. Thank you.

Josh
KNBD87D prodigy.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 14:01:05, -0500
From: KNBD87D prodigy.com (MR JOSH J TENNEY)
Subject: Re: Ford "Suburban"

The engine will be the V10 or power stroke. I don't know the axle
ratios yet.

Josh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:01:33 EST
From: Mad Poodle
Subject: Wierd Bolts

Sorry, this is probally old.......

>This isn't a question but an observation; what the heck is it with the
>fasteners on this truck? It seems like it is about 10% metric and 90%
SAE.
>I'll find a brake line on one side of the vehicle SAE and on the other
side it
>is metric. Weird.

For awhile the manufacturers tried what was termed "iso-metric" hardware. I
have air compressors and generators that have such oddities as a bolt with a
10mm head, and the nut on it is 7/16". Drives me wild trying to tear them down
in the field :-)


Scott
92 Bronco, 351
93 F250 SC, 351
98 F150, 284

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:02:20 EST
From: Mad Poodle
Subject: Shifter Knob

Does anyone know how to get the knobs off the end of the 5-speeds
> shifter?
> Is it pressed on? Do you need a special tool to get it off? If its
> pressed
> on - does anyone know the size of the press fit?

End of lever is knurled, and knob is pressed on..... If you have a good grip,
you can just twist the snot out of it, and the knob will strip out and come
off. Try it after a rough day at the office, it seems to work better ;-)

Scott
92 Bronco, 351
93 F250 SC, 351
98 F150, 284




------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:03:05 EST
From: Mad Poodle
Subject: Shifter Knob

Does anyone know how to get the knobs off the end of the 5-speeds
> shifter?
> Is it pressed on? Do you need a special tool to get it off? If its
> pressed
> on - does anyone know the size of the press fit?

End of lever is knurled, and knob is pressed on..... If you have a good grip,
you can just twist the snot out of it, and the knob will strip out and come
off. Try it after a rough day at the office, it seems to work better ;-)

Scott
92 Bronco, 351
93 F250 SC, 351
98 F150, 284




------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:03:29 EST
From: Mad Poodle
Subject: Wierd Bolts

Sorry, this is probally old.......

>This isn't a question but an observation; what the heck is it with the
>fasteners on this truck? It seems like it is about 10% metric and 90%
SAE.
>I'll find a brake line on one side of the vehicle SAE and on the other
side it
>is metric. Weird.

For awhile the manufacturers tried what was termed "iso-metric" hardware. I
have air compressors and generators that have such oddities as a bolt with a
10mm head, and the nut on it is 7/16". Drives me wild trying to tear them down
in the field :-)


Scott
92 Bronco, 351
93 F250 SC, 351
98 F150, 284

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:02:50 EST
From: Mad Poodle
Subject: Shifter Knob

Does anyone know how to get the knobs off the end of the 5-speeds
> shifter?
> Is it pressed on? Do you need a special tool to get it off? If its
> pressed
> on - does anyone know the size of the press fit?

End of lever is knurled, and knob is pressed on..... If you have a good grip,
you can just twist the snot out of it, and the knob will strip out and come
off. Try it after a rough day at the office, it seems to work better ;-)

Scott
92 Bronco, 351
93 F250 SC, 351
98 F150, 284




------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:05:44 EST
From: Shadorite
Subject: Re: "Suburban"

Hey All,
What I have seen at the Ford Texas test track is a 6 door suburban based
on the new heavy duty series line up. Looks a little weird but plenty of
space. It haas the four dours of the crew cab but 2 smaller suicides bight
behind them. from what I have seen it has the basic tail gate/window in back.

Ford! The best never rest.

Josh

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:06:36 EST
From: Primusdrmr
Subject: Re: Shifter Knob

In a message dated 97-12-20 23:05:19 EST, you write:


Date:97-12-20 23:05:19 EST
From:MadPoodle AOL.COM (Mad Poodle)
Sender:owner-fordtrucks80up ListService.net
Reply-to:fordtrucks80up ListService.net
To:fordtrucks80up-digest ListService.net

Does anyone know how to get the knobs off the end of the 5-speeds
> shifter?
> Is it pressed on? Do you need a special tool to get it off? If its
> pressed
> on - does anyone know the size of the press fit?

End of lever is knurled, and knob is pressed on..... If you have a good
grip,
you can just twist the snot out of it, and the knob will strip out and come
off. Try it after a rough day at the office, it seems to work better ;-)....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.