Received: with LISTAR (v1.0.0; list 80-96-list); Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:37:52 -0500 (EST)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:37:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server <listar ford-trucks.com>
To: 80-96-list digest users <listar ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list Digest V2001 #43
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 1980-1996 Truck  Mailing  List

Visit our  web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject  of  the
message.
==========================================================

Serious help maintaining your Ford truck!
----------------------------------------------------------
Check out the following items in our online store:
-How to Build and Modify Ford Fuel-Injected 5.0 Liter V-8 Engines
-How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Ford
-Performance Modifying Ford Trucks
-Ford Engine Overhaul Manual
-Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance
-Saddleman Seat Covers for 1992-1996 F150 - F450 Lariat

<a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">
http://www.motorhaven.com/</a>

----------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------
80-96-list Digest Tue, 27 Feb 2001 Volume: 2001  Issue: 043

In This Issue:
351 Build Up
Re: 351 Build Up
EFI 300
Re: Fuel Injection on a '81 300cid
FTE ADMIN: Change to classifieds
Help on 4.9L oil pan gasket
Re: Help on 4.9L oil pan gasket

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Perkins, Jim (Spokane)" <Jim.Perkins getronics.com>
Subject: 351 Build Up
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:33:11 -0500


OK all you hi-po guys, Wayne are you listening?  There is a decent chance
that I'm going to have to dig into my '91 351 pretty soon, so I'm looking
for everyone's best advice on what kind of performance enhancements I should
make while I'm in there.

My truck has been an oil leaker for awhile (valve covers, rear main, and
maybe oil pan) but not enough to do anything to fix it.  Now I'm starting to
suspect a head gasket failure as I've been losing a little coolant with no
signs of a leak and I periodically have an unidentified engine noise (sort
of a very low dieseling or knocking noise) that I speculate could be caused
by coolant leakage into either the cylinder or an exhaust passage.  If it is
a head gasket, I would consider pulling the engine in order to make the head
work easier, do the rear main and oil pan gaskets (perhaps a new pan as well
although no signs of rust so far), and generally clean things up.

Given the possibility of needing to dig deep enough to re-do the head
gasket, it seems like an opportune time to make performance enhancements.
So far I only have a K&N, a 3" cat back system with a turbo muffler, and a
shift kit.  I've owned the truck since new and it has always been and
remains a strong, reliable runner.  I still tow about a 6000 pound travel
trailer periodically (although not as much as I used to) so I wouldn't want
to do anything that would adversely affect my low end grunt.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggested enhancements anyone might have.  My
ultimate goal is to end up with a strong, reliable truck engine, which is
what I have now only I want more of it. :-)  Obviously I'm thinking cam,
heads, throttle body, manifold, headers, etc. and would appreciate
everyone's thoughts about where I can get the most bang for my buck and real
world experience with any of the myriad of different products out there.
I'd also appreciate any information anyone has about how far I can go
without changing my speed density system to mass air.  I really don't want
to run premium so a chip may be out of the question and I don't really want
to get into the bottom end if I don't have to.  I've toyed with the idea of
a supercharger in the past, but I've been a little leery of how that might
fit with a towing application, not to mention the fuel mileage scares me.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Perkins
'91 F150 4X4 Supercab 351 E4OD 3.55LS 82K
Spokane, WA


------------------------------

From: "Atkinson, Chip" <CAtkinson Circadence.com>
Subject: Re: 351 Build Up
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:15:33 -0700


I can't give much if any advice, but will request that you post updates to
the list.  I'd be very interested in hearing about your adventure.

Chip

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Perkins, Jim (Spokane) [mailto:Jim.Perkins getronics.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 2:33 PM
> To: '80-96-list ford-trucks.com'
> Subject: [80-96-list] 351 Build Up
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Support FTE - Check out our store:
> http://www.motorhaven.com/
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> OK all you hi-po guys, Wayne are you listening?  There is a
> decent chance
> that I'm going to have to dig into my '91 351 pretty soon, so
> I'm looking
> for everyone's best advice on what kind of performance
> enhancements I should
> make while I'm in there.
>
> My truck has been an oil leaker for awhile (valve covers,
> rear main, and
> maybe oil pan) but not enough to do anything to fix it.  Now
> I'm starting to
> suspect a head gasket failure as I've been losing a little
> coolant with no
> signs of a leak and I periodically have an unidentified
> engine noise (sort
> of a very low dieseling or knocking noise) that I speculate
> could be caused
> by coolant leakage into either the cylinder or an exhaust
> passage.  If it is
> a head gasket, I would consider pulling the engine in order
> to make the head
> work easier, do the rear main and oil pan gaskets (perhaps a
> new pan as well
> although no signs of rust so far), and generally clean things up.
>
> Given the possibility of needing to dig deep enough to re-do the head
> gasket, it seems like an opportune time to make performance
> enhancements.
> So far I only have a K&N, a 3" cat back system with a turbo
> muffler, and a
> shift kit.  I've owned the truck since new and it has always been and
> remains a strong, reliable runner.  I still tow about a 6000
> pound travel
> trailer periodically (although not as much as I used to) so I
> wouldn't want
> to do anything that would adversely affect my low end grunt.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any suggested enhancements anyone
> might have.  My
> ultimate goal is to end up with a strong, reliable truck
> engine, which is
> what I have now only I want more of it. :-)  Obviously I'm
> thinking cam,
> heads, throttle body, manifold, headers, etc. and would appreciate
> everyone's thoughts about where I can get the most bang for
> my buck and real
> world experience with any of the myriad of different products
> out there.
> I'd also appreciate any information anyone has about how far I can go
> without changing my speed density system to mass air.  I
> really don't want
> to run premium so a chip may be out of the question and I
> don't really want
> to get into the bottom end if I don't have to.  I've toyed
> with the idea of
> a supercharger in the past, but I've been a little leery of
> how that might
> fit with a towing application, not to mention the fuel
> mileage scares me.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jim Perkins
> '91 F150 4X4 Supercab 351 E4OD 3.55LS 82K
> Spokane, WA
>
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>

------------------------------

From: "davewild ford-trucks.net" <davewild ford-trucks.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:35:18 GMT
Subject: EFI 300


Gary,

 I am currently working on putting a EFI 300 into my 78' F150. The way I went
was to buy the whole engine wiring and everything else I needed all at once
from the junkyard. I am currently having machine work done to the engine so
I can't really tell you if a EFI head will work with the non EFI engine. But
when I pulled my engine from an 87' 3/4 ton econoline van I got the intake manifolds
computer complete wiring harness and all the other goodies that will be needed
to make the EFI system operational for $250. Granted I have to rebuild and purchase
alot of parts but I still think I was better of than trying to use a after market
system. I should have it back this week or next and maybe I can check then.


But I did not see much difference in the EFI and non-EFI heads, the valve train
looked like slighly different (rocker arms were a different style) and there
are the emission holes also, but I can not tell you for sure if the are excatly
the same geometry wise.

Well I hope this may have helped (or maybe not) let me know if you have any
questions I can try to help ya out.

David Wild
www.geocities.com/davewilds_78f150/index.html
Ford Truck Enthusiasts
http://www.ford-trucks.com

------------------------------

From: DTrowbridge webtv.net (David Trowbridge)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:30:15 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection on a '81 300cid


i have actually been looking at doing this swap as well on my 85.  i've
been researching this now for about a month.  you can keep the cylinder
head.  the bolt pattern is the same.  you will have to change out the
exhaust manifold because the old log does not have provisions for an O2
sensor, plus it flows better.  you also have to do some upgrades to the
fuel system. like add a fuel injection fuel pump and a return line.

i am looking at going with factory components.  i know of 3 junk yards
where i can get everything i need for under $300, tops.

this swap has already been performed by a guy that owns an 82 truck.  he
is very pleased with the results.  i will be doing this swap as soon as
i get the money to get the parts.  inspection is due next month and the
carb is shot so i know it won't pass right now.

David
85 F-150 300 I6
C-4 3 speed auto 2.47 FDR


------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:52:13 -0500
From: Ken Payne <kpayne ford-trucks.com>
Subject: FTE ADMIN: Change to classifieds


As many of your are aware "dot com" companies have been hit
hard in the last few months.  FTE is now feeling the
affects.  Our ad revenues through our reseller have taken
a serious hit and have plunged by 80%.  FTE is taking steps
to insulate itself from the advertising slowdown.

Many of you have enjoyed the use of our bandwidth with free
classifieds.  As is the case with many web sites, the free
lunch is over.  Our classifieds use a significant amount of
bandwidth per month and we >>HAVE to come up with new revenue
sources in order to keep FTE operational.  Thus, we're
implementing a >>reasonable fee<< for placing an ad.

The classified ads will now be $4.00 for up to 45 days plus
an additional $1.00 for each additional category you place it
in.  After placing your ad you will be given a link to a page
on our secure server to pay for the ad.

Our classifieds have over 75,000 visitors per month and this
number grows every month. $4.00 for that kind of exposure
represents a tremendous value.  Anyone who thinks $4.00 is
too much to pay ought to consider the thousands I've shelled
out to keep the site operational and the need to continue to
keep the site going.

Thank you for your understanding as we implement this changes.
It's unavoidable given the current economic climate.

Ken Payne
Admin, Ford Truck Enthusiasts



------------------------------

From: LeeCraner aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:36:38 EST
Subject: Help on 4.9L oil pan gasket


The rubber oil pan gasket on my '92 4.9L (I-6) is failing *it is actually
squeezing out).  Two questions:

1.  It appears that the oil pan cannot be removed without either undoing the
motor mounts and lifting the engine or removing the transmission (auto).
However, is there any reason why I can't drop the pan enough to remove the
old gasket and slide the new gasket under the oil pump, without removing the
pan entirely?

2.  I only want to do this operation one time.  What is the best oil pan
gasket material and manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Lee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:41:28 -0600
From: a&b <pedalfox bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Help on 4.9L oil pan gasket


You can drop the pan enough to thread the gasket under the pump pickup but it is
hard to keep it out of the residual oil in the pan I think I may have jacked up
the motor on my wife's '91 to get a little more room. Thing is, the rubber
gaskets will squish back out if they get the least little oil on 'em, so you
really gotta try to keep it dry. I used some lacquer thinner to kind of dry mine
off before tightening up the pan.
Be sure to get a 12 pack before you start :-)
bill g

LeeCraner aol.com wrote:

> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Support FTE - Check out our store:
> http://www.motorhaven.com/
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> The rubber oil pan gasket on my '92 4.9L (I-6) is failing *it is actually
> squeezing out).  Two questions:
>
> 1.  It appears that the oil pan cannot be removed without either undoing the
> motor mounts and lifting the engine or removing the transmission (auto).
> However, is there any reason why I can't drop the pan enough to remove the
> old gasket and slide the new gasket under the oil pump, without removing the
> pan entirely?
>
> 2.  I only want to do this operation one time.  What is the best oil pan
> gasket material and manufacturer?
>
> Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
>
> Lee
> =============================================================
> To  unsubscribe:   www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.


------------------------------

End of 80-96-list Digest V2001 #43
**********************************

Serious help maintaining your Ford truck!
----------------------------------------------------------
Check out the following items in our online store:
-How to Build and Modify Ford Fuel-Injected 5.0 Liter V-8 Engines
-How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Ford
-Performance Modifying Ford Trucks
-Ford Engine Overhaul Manual
-Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance
-Saddleman Seat Covers for 1992-1996 F150 - F450 Lariat

<a href="http://www.motorhaven.com/">
http://www.motorhaven.com/</a> ....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.