Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

From: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com (80-96-list-digest)
To: 80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list-digest V4 #7
Reply-To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-80-96-list-digest ford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


80-96-list-digest Sunday, January 9 2000 Volume 04 : Number 007



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980-1996 Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomo ford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: U-Joint Replacement / wheel bearing
Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford
FTE 80-96 - RE: Power stuff in a non power vehicle...
FTE 80-96 - Re: Cummins B-2 Engine
Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Power stuff in a non power vehicle...
FTE 80-96 - Re: Blow-By, Bad Compression
RE: FTE 80-96 - Help With Tires
FTE 80-96 - A fresh problem?
Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford
FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?
FTE 80-96 - Re: FTE 80-96 update
Re: FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?
Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: Blow-By, Bad Compression
Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: Blow-By, Bad Compression
Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford
FTE 80-96 - mystery fluid?
Re: FTE 80-96 - mystery fluid?

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:45:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Woods kens.com>
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: U-Joint Replacement / wheel bearing

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, les williams wrote:

> Being an F250, it's more likely to be Dana rear end, so

Ford 10.25 in the rear, Dana 44 up front.
At least that's what most of the F250's are.

- --
Ken Woods
kwoods kens.com

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 10:19:10 -0600
From: "Steve Schmeckpeper" ee.lsu.edu>
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford

Les wrote:
"worth a min. 45k"

Les...........If this is $ US, I hope there is a decimal between the 4 and
5.
8^)
Smeck 87F150-302-T18


- ----- Original Message -----
From: les williams cyber.net.au>
To: <80-96-list ford-trucks.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford


> Hi Bill,
> I appreciate you reply, and although it doesn't make your decision any
easier, ALL
> of the trucks listed below, even if the motor is shot, would be worth a
min. 45k and
> Up, on the road, down under. It's always amazed me how the odometer,
regardless of
> what it may have been in the USA, will start at about 20,000 on the road
in OZ.
>
> If you have a few spare moments, visit www.tradingpost.com.au -and go to
trucks
> and look at the prices we are hit down here.
>
>
> regards
> Les
> Lost in the Land of OZ
>
> Bill G wrote:
>
> > '96 Cheyenne 1500 w/50K miles $11k; '94 F-250 w/125k miles $7k; '94
GMC 2500
> > 6.5L w/64k $ 10k.
> >
> > les williams wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bill,
> > > I note with interest, it was 'She' who found the C***Y. After some of
the
> > > comments that have preceded me, I guess you are now going to have to
take
> > > her aside for a little 're-education' concerning her, and the horses'
future
> > > mode of transport. ;-))
> > > OK jokes aside, would you be offended if I inquired how much money was
> > > involved ?
> > > Purchase price of the C***y ? Purchase price of the F250 ?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Les
> > > Lost in the Land of OZ
> > >
> > > "a b" wrote:
> > >
> > > > My wife's F-150 didn't make the millennial change-over I think due
to a
> > > > rod not being Y2k compatible. Anyhow, she has found a '96 C***y 1500
> > > > with 350 5speed and 3:42 rear, as well as '94 125k mile F-250
diesel.
> > > > I'm trying to figure out if the C***y will pull her horse/trailer at
> > > > 2500lbs and can't remember what the rear ratio was in the F-150
(3:73
> > > > maybe), and/or trying to find out what the final ratios are for the
> > > > F-150 vs 1500. Somebody posted a link for ratio info once. I'm kinda
> > > > leery of the F-250 'cause of the miles. Somebody once told me they
last
> > > > forever. I know the suspension would be better, but she puts
probably
> > > > 35k a year on a vehicle so it wouldn't be long till it was up to
where
> > > > the F-150 gave up (230,000). Which truck would you get?
> > > > thanks,
> > > > Bill
> > > >
> > > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> > >
> > > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
> >
> > == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 20:10:35 -0600
From: "Dave Harmier" gte.net>
Subject: FTE 80-96 - RE: Power stuff in a non power vehicle...

From: Lingus0169 aol.com [mailto:Lingus0169 aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 8:39 PM
To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 -


>well my project is underway..but i have a question... has anyone put in
power door locks and power >windows in their truck, which had neither? im
curious to how hard it would be to do this..im working on >making my truck
the beast...and being a beauty(for the ladies ,of course)


I've mentioned our "hobby car" 81 C***Y El Camino before....

I got a set of doors with power stuff given to me, and I am NOT going to do
it! There just isn't enough room for my ham fists inside of doors. Heck, I
played H*LL getting a power lock actuator into a door on dads 91 F-150 (But
I DID get it!)

More power to you!
And your mileage will vary!

Dave H.
Houston
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:40:03 EST
From: BRIGANDBAR aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: Cummins B-2 Engine

Tom:

The B-2 Cummins is a pretty popular engine for mfrs. Class A motor homes <30
ft., other truck mfrs. , etc., and modifiers who buy the traction head and
take it from there.

Steve
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:04:23 EST
From: Lingus0169 aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - RE: Power stuff in a non power vehicle...

well i was figuring that if i bought somw good condition doors with the the
power locks and windows in them..i could just swap the doors .. at least that
is what i am planning to do.
nick
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 12:00:40 -0800
From: Joan and Walt Posluszny home.com>
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: Blow-By, Bad Compression

Joe,

I can't see how high a bad valve could cause crankcase blow-by, but a lazy
PCV valve or a leaky head gasket sure could. My first action I would do is
to replace the PCV. It's cheap and it sometimes solves the blow-by problem.
If the engine hasn't been abused and you don't run the crap out of it, you
shouldn't have a horrible blow-by problem at 105,000 miles. My experience
has been that these engines are fairly durable if maintained in a reasonable
fashion.

A friend with an Aerostar 4.0 liter was blowing ridiculous amounts of oil
out of the valve cover when he'd reach 3000 rpm, only when pulling onto
highways or up steep grades did he reach these rpm's. I asked him to check
his PCV, he said it was fine, that is, it rattled so he discounted it
immediately. After he went to the dealer AND an independent shop, they came
up with all sorts of expensive potential problems/solutions. He decided to
change the PCV for 3 bucks and it immediately solved the problem. He is
still in disbelief. But as I said, it worked.

Hope this helps. Walt
>
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:12:09 EST
> From: BanksRVA aol.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: 300 w/a bad cylinder
>
> Walt, the truck has 105,000 on it. Would a bad valve cause blowby at all?
> Joe 82 F100
> 300 I6

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 16:15:48 EST
From: Awfanning aol.com
Subject: RE: FTE 80-96 - Help With Tires

David Chapman asked:

< out more about alignment so I can attack this with some knowledge?>>

A good description of alignment terms will be found at the SHOtimes (Taurus
SHO) site: http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3alignmentproblems.html

Alan Fanning
San Jose
'82 F-150, '91 SHO
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 16:35:26 -0600
From: "Dave Harmier" gte.net>
Subject: FTE 80-96 - A fresh problem?

I got in my '92 F-150 to go do an install (I hate saturday work!)
Something went KRACK in the shift column, and my shift handle just flops
around now.
I popped the cable off at the tranny, and could drive it if need be, but
I've got Dads '91 for now.
We've a guy who'll fix it ok monday, just thought I'd "troll" it on the
list and see what pops up!

Ain't life swell?

Dave H.
Houston
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 11:05:36 +1100
From: les williams cyber.net.au>
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford

Hi Steve,
No, I didn't forget the decimal point, it's Aus , or Pacific Peso's, the
conversion rate is approx. 70C to the US$. Even if it was only 50c in the $, it
still makes for an expensive truck, in comparison to your US prices.
Under WTO, and level playing field crap that has been rammed down our throats,
here in OZ, If I import a truck I pay 100% duty before I can get it of the dock.
Cost of conversion, engineers certificate, etc, etc . If I want a 1 ton pick-up
, it's far easier to buy asian c**p.
Once again, I can only invite you to check out that web site I listed, It's not
spam, I have no financial connection with, or anything to gain out of it. It's a
reasonable weekly listing of the S/hand market in OZ, and suggested as an
educational exercise only. While you are there, look at cars, the average price
new OZ built, from the Big Three, and this is a fairly pedestrian models, will
set you back 26-30k. - It'll Blow you away!!! Have a look then come back and
tell me approx US$325 for good headers is too much!
Now you may understand why, in OZ, unless you smash it so badly as to seriously
shorten the chassis or it burns down to the wheel rims, you fix it!!
BTW: you truck, converted, and in reasonable condition in OZ would go for about
24-28k, depending on options, and I haven't even seen it.... and what would you
get for it in the US ?

regards

Les
Lost in the Land of OZ


Steve Schmeckpeper wrote:

> Les wrote:
> "worth a min. 45k"
>
> Les...........If this is $ US, I hope there is a decimal between the 4 and
> 5.
> 8^)
> Smeck 87F150-302-T18
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: les williams cyber.net.au>
> To: <80-96-listford-trucks.com>
> Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 12:29 AM
> Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford
>
> > Hi Bill,
> > I appreciate you reply, and although it doesn't make your decision any
> easier, ALL
> > of the trucks listed below, even if the motor is shot, would be worth a
> min. 45k and
> > Up, on the road, down under. It's always amazed me how the odometer,
> regardless of
> > what it may have been in the USA, will start at about 20,000 on the road
> in OZ.
> >
> > If you have a few spare moments, visit www.tradingpost.com.au -and go to
> trucks
> > and look at the prices we are hit down here.
> >
> >
> > regards
> > Les
> > Lost in the Land of OZ
> >
> > Bill G wrote:
> >
> > > '96 Cheyenne 1500 w/50K miles $11k; '94 F-250 w/125k miles $7k; '94
> GMC 2500
> > > 6.5L w/64k $ 10k.
>
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 16:39:12 PST
From: "Michael Leonard" hotmail.com>
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?

Hi folks,

Can anyone help me with what must be a very simple problem? I just spent a
couple bucks on a new PCV valve for my 1986 F150 5.0L EFI. I figured it must
be time for a new one. What I can't figure is where the heck it goes! No
sign of the old one on either valve cover or anywhere else I can easily see.
Is this to be expected or do I need to make an appointment with an
optometrist?

Any help much appreciated. -Mike


______________________________________________________

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 20:01:57 -0500
From: Martin Horne optonline.net>
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?

It should be on the back (closest to the firewall) right hand (as you sit
in the truck) valve cover.
You probably cannot see it because it's under the intake plenum.

HTH.

At 04:39 PM 1/8/00 -0800, you wrote:
>
>Hi folks,
>
>Can anyone help me with what must be a very simple problem? I just spent a
>couple bucks on a new PCV valve for my 1986 F150 5.0L EFI. I figured it must
>be time for a new one. What I can't figure is where the heck it goes! No
>sign of the old one on either valve cover or anywhere else I can easily see.
> Is this to be expected or do I need to make an appointment with an
>optometrist?
>
>Any help much appreciated. -Mike
>
>
>______________________________________________________
> >
>== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

Martin Horne
'86 Bronco
Long Island, NY
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 20:08:03 EST
From: Lingus0169aol.com
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Re: FTE 80-96 update

its nick
Well i got my 82 351w in my 85truck, and everything as far as i know will
hook up right..the only problem will be getting the engine stared for the
first time since it was removed from the bronco .finding out the wiring, what
gets soldered to what.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 18:16:30 -0800
From: "Kevin Moore" earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?

In my 87 5.0, it is located in the side of the air box that is located on
the drivers side fender well. There is a metal hose with rubber on both
ends that connects it.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
- ----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Leonard hotmail.com>
To: <80-96-listford-trucks.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 4:39 PM
Subject: FTE 80-96 - Oh where oh where does my PCV valve go?


>
> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone help me with what must be a very simple problem? I just spent a
> couple bucks on a new PCV valve for my 1986 F150 5.0L EFI. I figured it
must
> be time for a new one. What I can't figure is where the heck it goes! No
> sign of the old one on either valve cover or anywhere else I can easily
see.
> Is this to be expected or do I need to make an appointment with an
> optometrist?
>
> Any help much appreciated. -Mike
>
>
> ______________________________________________________
> >
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 20:34:48 EST
From: BanksRVAaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: Blow-By, Bad Compression

Ok, so how do I determine what is wrong with the truck? Here are the symptoms
and facts as I know them.
1. 82 F100 300 I-6
2. Rough Idle (no vacuum leaks that I can find, and I have looked).
3. When attempting to time the truck, timing mark is at 6 o'clock on
the crankshaft, so timed by ear.
4. Blowby.
5. Engine shakes at low rpm then smoothes out as rpm's are increased.
6. New carb, coil, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel pump and fuel filter. ( All
within last year)
8. Compression test numbers are cylinders 1-6, 110,170,165,180,180,180.
9. "Puffing" sound coming from carb and tailpipe.
Thanks so far to everyone who has given me feedback. I am just not clear on
how to diagnose what the cause, or causes are.( i.e., bad rings or leaky
head gasket?) Thank you all very much.
Joe 82 F100 300 I6
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 21:13:11 EST
From: FULSZBRONCaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - Re: Blow-By, Bad Compression

Sounds like a burnt exhaust valve on #1 cylinder. Not likely the head gasket
or piston rings for numerous reasons. If you have a vacuum gauge, hook it up
to a manifold source and you should the needle ''bob'' (drop) in a rhythm
that corresponds to engine rpm. Evertime that cylinder is in the intake
stroke, the vacuum will be less than the others due to the leaking valve.
You gave the best clue when you did a wet/dry compression test and had that
cylinder came up only 10psi when oil was added down the hole. (that was your
post, wasn't it?) Bummer... but still cheaper than re-ringing the engine.
Alex

> 2. Rough Idle (no vacuum leaks that I can find, and I have looked).
> 3. When attempting to time the truck, timing mark is at 6 o'clock on
> the crankshaft, so timed by ear.
> 4. Blowby.
> 5. Engine shakes at low rpm then smoothes out as rpm's are increased.
> 6. New carb, coil, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel pump and fuel filter. ( All
> within last year)
> 8. Compression test numbers are cylinders 1-6, 110,170,165,180,180,180.
> 9. "Puffing" sound coming from carb and tailpipe.
> Thanks so far to everyone who has given me feedback. I am just not clear on
> how to diagnose what the cause, or causes are.( i.e., bad rings or leaky
> head gasket?) Thank you all very much.
> Joe 82 F100 300 I6
>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:01:02 -0600
From: "Steve Schmeckpeper" ee.lsu.edu>
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford

Les, I am blown away!! .........................Guess life isn't so bad
afterall way down here in South Louisiana in the good old USA <>
Smeck
P.S. God bless America 8^))

- ----- Original Message -----
From: les williams cyber.net.au>
To: <80-96-listford-trucks.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford


> Hi Steve,
> No, I didn't forget the decimal point, it's Aus , or Pacific Peso's,
the
> conversion rate is approx. 70C to the US$. Even if it was only 50c in the
$, it
> still makes for an expensive truck, in comparison to your US prices.
> Under WTO, and level playing field crap that has been rammed down our
throats,
> here in OZ, If I import a truck I pay 100% duty before I can get it of the
dock.
> Cost of conversion, engineers certificate, etc, etc . If I want a 1 ton
pick-up
> , it's far easier to buy asian c**p.
> Once again, I can only invite you to check out that web site I listed,
It's not
> spam, I have no financial connection with, or anything to gain out of it.
It's a
> reasonable weekly listing of the S/hand market in OZ, and suggested as an
> educational exercise only. While you are there, look at cars, the average
price
> new OZ built, from the Big Three, and this is a fairly pedestrian models,
will
> set you back 26-30k. - It'll Blow you away!!! Have a look then come back
and
> tell me approx US$325 for good headers is too much!
> Now you may understand why, in OZ, unless you smash it so badly as to
seriously
> shorten the chassis or it burns down to the wheel rims, you fix it!!
> BTW: you truck, converted, and in reasonable condition in OZ would go for
about
> 24-28k, depending on options, and I haven't even seen it.... and what
would you
> get for it in the US ?
>
> regards
>
> Les
> Lost in the Land of OZ
>
>
> Steve Schmeckpeper wrote:
>
> > Les wrote:
> > "worth a min. 45k"
> >
> > Les...........If this is $ US, I hope there is a decimal between the 4
and
> > 5.
> > 8^)
> > Smeck 87F150-302-T18
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: les williams cyber.net.au>
> > To: <80-96-listford-trucks.com>
> > Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 12:29 AM
> > Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - C***y vs Ford
> >
> > > Hi Bill,
> > > I appreciate you reply, and although it doesn't make your decision any
> > easier, ALL
> > > of the trucks listed below, even if the motor is shot, would be worth
a
> > min. 45k and
> > > Up, on the road, down under. It's always amazed me how the odometer,
> > regardless of
> > > what it may have been in the USA, will start at about 20,000 on the
road
> > in OZ.
> > >
> > > If you have a few spare moments, visit www.tradingpost.com.au -and
go to
> > trucks
> > > and look at the prices we are hit down here.
> > >
> > >
> > > regards
> > > Les
> > > Lost in the Land of OZ
> > >
> > > Bill G wrote:
> > >
> > > > '96 Cheyenne 1500 w/50K miles $11k; '94 F-250 w/125k miles $7k;
'94
> > GMC 2500
> > > > 6.5L w/64k $ 10k.
> >
> >
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 02:03:57 -0600 (CST)
From: DTrowbridgewebtv.net (David Trowbridge)
Subject: FTE 80-96 - mystery fluid?

hey guys, i noticed tonight that there is a fluid of some sorts coming
from under and in the center of my dash. i thought it was a heater core
leaking, but i tasted the fluid and it is not sweet, and it is colored
like light tranny fluid, and feels almost like motor oil. any ideas on
what this might be?

David
85 F-150 300 I6

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 03:13:10 EST
From: IMATOOLMANaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 80-96 - mystery fluid?

Oil gauge line could be leaking
What type of gauge does your truck have
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

End of 80-96-list-digest V4 #7
******************************

+---- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1980 through 1996 Trucks And Vans -----+
| Send posts to 80-96-listford-trucks.com, |
| List removal information is on the web site. |
+---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.