....


To access the rest of this feature you must be a logged in Registered User Of Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Registration is free, easy and gives you access to more features.
If you are not registered, click here to register.
If you are already registered, you can login here.

If you are already logged in and are seeing this message, your web browser is blocking session cookies. Change your browser cookie settings to allow session cookies.




Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Jobs

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.


Please do not repost, forward or otherwise publish messages
contained in these archives without consent from the respective
author(s). These archives may not, in whole or part, be stored on
any public retrieval system (FTP, web, gopher, newsgroup, etc.) by
individuals or companies, without consent of the respective authors.

Received: with LISTAR (v0.129a; list 80-96-list); Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:03:56 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:03:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ford Truck Enthusiasts List Server ford-trucks.com>
To: 80-96-list digest users ford-trucks.com>
Reply-to: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
Subject: 80-96-list Digest V2000 #139
Precedence: list

==========================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts 80-96 Truck Mailing List

Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com

To unsubscribe, send email to: listar ford-trucks.com with
the words "unsubscribe 80-96-list" in the subject of the
message.
==========================================================

------------------------------------
80-96-list Digest Sun, 16 Jul 2000 Volume: 2000 Issue: 139

In This Issue:
Re: 84 F150 Steering Problems
Re: Aerostar Electrical Problems
Predetonation 5.8L Bronco
Re: Brake Fluid
Ford 9"
HP and Torque Ratings
Leaking Master Cylinder
Re: Predetonation 5.8L Bronco
Re: HP and Torque Ratings
Re: Leaking Master Cylinder
Re: Predetonation 5.8L Bronco

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Greg and Tanya" telusplanet.net>
Subject: Re: 84 F150 Steering Problems
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:46:02 -0600

My 89 2wd does the same thing. I replaced the shocks, tie-rods, radius arm
bushings, repacked/adjusted bearings, tightened the steering box....still
pulls/jumps when going over bumps. More noticeable at highway speeds which
is really scary keeping it straight. Is there something else I'm missing?

regards,
Greg
89 F150 ext cab s/box 2wd 302EFI


Stacy wrote:
My 84 F150 4x4 has a steering problem. When driving down the road every now
and then (usually when I hit a bump) it will jerk to the left. If I go into
a sharp left hand turn fast it will jerk noticeably hard to the left........


------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: victor moran yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Aerostar Electrical Problems

Hello List,
I think that I found the problem. It was the battery. I replaced the battery
since it tested weak as a first step and that fixed all the problems.

I'm surprised that that was the problem because she started up just fine when
it started. And the lights were not dim either.

It could be that the new battery is masking the problem, but I'll find out for
sure tuesday when I take it for another 200 mile trip to work.

Victor.

--- MRStace84 aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/15/00 12:35:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> diadian yahoo.com writes:
>
> << ello List,
> I'm hoping someone on this list can help me with a problem that appeared
> yesterday. All this stuff happened on the way home while I was driving 100
> miles from work at about 75MPH.
>
> About half of the way home, the voltmeter needle started bouncing
> slightly.
>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail Free email you can access from anywhere!
http://www.ford-trucks.com//lc/lc.php?action=do&link=http://mail.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:43:16 -0600
Subject: air intake
From: craig n eggerman juno.com>

I took fluid mechanics in college many moons ago, and as a remember, the
more tube turns and bends in the pipe the higher the friction pressure.
But as short as this is 3 feet, the size of 4 inches, the volume and
velocity of the air, it really make very little difference. Just put it
in the best way possible with the minimum amount of hassle so it gets air
from in front of the engine and radiator. The cooler air is more dense
that the hot stuff under the hood. This denser air improves engine
combustion.

Restrictions in the exhaust system now are a different matter. If you
believe the Banks Power System adds you gain 61 hp and 187 lb/ft torque
and 7% improvement in fuel economy with the cat back stinger system (cost
$1100). They have the dyno test to prove it I guess although I think they
are representing the worst case stock system they could find. I did a 3
1/2 exhaust system cat back correction on this 88 E350 with a 460 in it
and it has helped although I would be hard pressed to prove it. This one
has the back of the cat rebuilt with a 3 1/2 nipple on it. Ford in there
infinite wisdom had the cat restricted down to 2". When I asked why it
was so small, the guy grinned and said this was Fords way of meeting
emission requirements. The shop that did it builds as lot of custom hot
rod exhaust systems and has a dyno and he stated that this modification
was better than a duel exhaust system so go figure.

Craig
________________________________________________________________





------------------------------

From: "Don BigGrizzly" biggrizzly.com>
Subject: Predetonation 5.8L Bronco
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:03:42 -0400

I just had a new motor put into my 93 Bronco, The motor was a remanufactured
long block from a very reputable machine shop in the area. It was not an
Advance Auto or Pep Boys motor. Not that there is anything wrong with their
motors, but this place has been highly recommended for quality products.

Anyway, it has about 1,500 miles on it now and seems to run real good except
for some predetonation on long hills at part throttle. The problem seemed
to go away by adding a octane booster and using high test, but this is very
expensive and I think the motor should be able to run on regular or at the
most mid-grade fuels without pinging.

You guys have any suggestions?

Don Haller
Aiken, SC



------------------------------

From: "Mark Salvetti" mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:21:12 -0400

Don't look now, but your basic $2-a-can Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid has a
dry boiling point HIGHER than the inexpensive DOT 4 fluids. It's the wet
boiling point that is less (the minimum criteria for DOT 3 & 4 are wet
boiling points). Which, I suppose, is the whole point of this discussion,
as eventually we get to down to the wet range.

Most track junkies I know will change brake fluid at least once in the
spring and bleed before every event; wet boiling points don't matter much
with this much maintenance. So a lot of them will use the Ford fluid,
rather than the $15 a quart racing fluids from ATE or Motul. Or you can go
to a Castrol SRF (590F dry BP, 518F wet), but it's about $75 a liter.

I just use the Ford stuff in all my cars, and it seems to work fine.

Mark Salvetti
1986 F150


------------------------------

From: "Joel Thomas" prodigy.net>
Subject: Ford 9"
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:27:46 -0500


Will a ford 9" 3rd member from an early model bronco(Small style 66-77) fit my 9" assembly in my 84 F-150, are they the same splines?
also it has 3.50(he sais) but didn't all fords come with 3.55's??
can someone please give me the years with the different spline counts??
28 or 31??

Thanks,
Joel Thomas



------------------------------

From: "Bowman, John" mtt.ca>
Subject: HP and Torque Ratings
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:27:21 -0300

I have a 1983 F100 with a stock 302, 2bl carb, 3spd auto and 3:08 rear end.
Can anyone let me now you what the HP and torque ratings for my truck.

1983 F100
1993 Taurus s/w

*************************
J.A. Bowman
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada
*************************

------------------------------

From: "Mark Salvetti" mediaone.net>
Subject: Leaking Master Cylinder
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:42:53 -0400

I've been having problems with a master cylinder that leaks fluid (drips to
the ground), and I'm not sure how/why.

This is a 1986 F150 5.0L EFI truck. The truck stops great, and the brake
pedal is firm. Sometimes I find a brake fluid stain on the ground under the
master cylinder when it's parked in my driveway. The driveway slopes up, so
the truck is parked nose-high. This doesn't seem to happen on level
surfaces (like parked at work).

Last couple of days the fluid stain seemed larger than usual, so I checked
and I found both front and rear reservoirs low on fluid.

If it was leaking fluid past the seals and out the rod end, wouldn't it
happen whether it was level or not? And wouldn't I have fluid in the pedal
area (I don't think I do)?

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Mark Salvetti
1986 F150


------------------------------

From: soffiler centraltools.com
Subject: Re: Predetonation 5.8L Bronco
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:15:22 -0400

Two suggestions: one, check the ignition timing. Two, the name of the
condition you are experiencing is either "pre-ignition" or "detonation" but
I've never heard it called "predetonation".

Steve O.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 80-96-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:80-96-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Don BigGrizzly
> Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 6:04 PM
> To: 80-96-list ford-trucks.com
> Subject: [80-96-list] Predetonation 5.8L Bronco
>
>
> I just had a new motor put into my 93 Bronco, The motor was a
> remanufactured
> long block from a very reputable machine shop in the area.
> It was not an
> Advance Auto or Pep Boys motor. Not that there is anything
> wrong with their
> motors, but this place has been highly recommended for
> quality products.
>
> Anyway, it has about 1,500 miles on it now and seems to run
> real good except
> for some predetonation on long hills at part throttle. The
> problem seemed
> to go away by adding a octane booster and using high test,
> but this is very
> expensive and I think the motor should be able to run on
> regular or at the
> most mid-grade fuels without pinging.
>
> You guys have any suggestions?
>
> Don Haller
> Aiken, SC
>
>
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>


------------------------------

From: soffiler centraltools.com
Subject: Re: HP and Torque Ratings
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:21:34 -0400

139HP 3400 rpm, 250 ft-lb 2000 rpm

Steve O.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 80-96-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:80-96-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Bowman, John
> Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 9:27 PM
> To: Ford Truck List (E-mail)
> Subject: [80-96-list] HP and Torque Ratings
>
>
> I have a 1983 F100 with a stock 302, 2bl carb, 3spd auto and
> 3:08 rear end.
> Can anyone let me now you what the HP and torque ratings for my truck.
>
> 1983 F100
> 1993 Taurus s/w
>
> *************************
> J.A. Bowman
> Halifax, Nova Scotia
> Canada
> *************************
> ==========================================================
> To unsubscribe:
> http://www.ford-trucks.com/mailinglist.html#item3
> Please remove this footer when replying.
>


------------------------------

From: soffiler centraltools.com
Subject: Re: Leaking Master Cylinder
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:24:01 -0400

Just a guess. It might be the seal at the point where the fluid reservoir
attaches to the hydraulic piston assembly.

Steve O.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 80-96-list-bounce ford-trucks.com
> [mailto:80-96-list-bounce ford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mark Salvetti
> Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2000 11:43 PM
> To: Ford Trucks 80-96
> Subject: [80-96-list] Leaking Master Cylinder
>
>
> I've been having problems with a master cylinder that leaks
> fluid (drips to
> the ground), and I'm not sure how/why.
>
> This is a 1986 F150 5.0L EFI truck. The truck stops great,
> and the brake
> pedal is firm. Sometimes I find a brake fluid stain on the
> ground under the
> master cylinder when it's parked in my driveway. The
> driveway slopes up, so
> the truck is parked nose-high. This doesn't seem to happen on level
> surfaces (like parked at work).
>
> Last couple of days the fluid stain seemed larger than usual,
> so I checked
> and I found both front and rear reservoirs low on fluid.
>
> If it was leaking fluid past the seals and out the rod end,
> wouldn't it
> happen whether it was level or not? And wouldn't I have
> fluid in the pedal
> area (I don't think I do)?
>
> Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
>
> Mark Salvetti
> 1986 F150


------------------------------

From: Spruce1495 aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:01:30 EDT
Subject: Re: Predetonation 5.8L Bronco

Check timing. Set it at "underhood" specs (see label). Probably about 10 deg.
BTDC. When no pre-ignition is heard, bump it up 1 deg. at a time. Probably be
best not to exceed 3 deg. adv. over stock. This will allow you to run on reg.
gas with no ping. SPOUT connector must be open when setting timing and then
reconnect after setting. I use the Haynes book for instructions and it works.